Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Circle Village After
Gunmen Storm Monastery
Sep 24, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Police Circle Village After Gunmen Storm Monastery
Gunbattles flare near Kosovo's border with Serbia
- At least 30 gunmen killed a Kosovar Albanian police officer, then stormed an Orthodox monastery in Kosovo near its border with Serbia, setting off ongoing gunbattles that have left three assailants dead and raised tensions between the two former wartime foes as they seek to normalize ties. Police have surrounded...
At French Open, a New
Controversy for Djokovic
May 31, 2023 4:18 PM CDT
At French Open, a New Controversy for Djokovic
'Kosovo is the heart of Serbia,' he wrote on camera lens at French Open
- Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic has once again found himself in the middle of a controversy—and this time, it involves his father's hometown in Kosovo, which used to be a Serbian province. Srdjan Djokovic grew up in Zvecan, where 30 NATO peacekeepers were injured in clashes with ethnic...
After Shootings, Protesters
Demand State Media Changes
May 27, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
After Shootings, Protesters Demand State Media Changes
Demonstrations began in response to two mass shootings
- Huge crowds of anti-government protesters on Saturday encircled the Serbian state television building in downtown Belgrade to press their demand for autocratic President Aleksandar Vucic to ease his tight grip on the mainstream media and allow alternative voices. Tens of thousands of opposition supporters, some chanting slogans urging Vucic's...
Serbia Shows Scores of Guns
Turned In After Mass Shootings
May 14, 2023 11:21 AM CDT
Serbia Shows Scores of Guns Turned In After Mass Shootings
President asks, 'What does anyone need an automatic weapon for?'
- Authorities in Serbia on Sunday displayed stacks of guns and cartons of hand grenades from the thousands of weapons, including anti-tank rocket launchers, that they said people handed over since back-to-back mass shootings stunned the Balkan nation. The government declared a one-month amnesty period for citizens to surrender unregistered weapons...
Serbia Sees 2nd
Mass Shooting in 2 Days
May 5, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Serbia Sees 2nd Mass Shooting in 2 Days
8 fatally shot in drive-by attack day after school shooting
- A shooter killed at least eight people and wounded 13 in a drive-by attack late Thursday in Serbia's second such mass killing in two days, state television reported. The attacker shot randomly at people near the town of Mladenovac, some 30 miles south of the capital, RTS reported early...
Had List of Names
May 3, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Police: Serbia School Shooter Had List of Names
The suspect's father has also been arrested
- A 13-year-old who opened fire Wednesday at his school in Serbia's capital drew sketches of classrooms and wrote a list of people he intended to "liquidate" in a meticulously planned attack, police said. He killed eight fellow students and a school guard before being arrested. The shooter first...
A 'Complete Tragedy'
in Serbia Leaves 9 Dead
May 3, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
A 'Complete Tragedy' in Serbia Leaves 9 Dead
8 children, security guard dead after teen allegedly opens fire in Belgrade with dad's gun
- School shootings have become a sad new reality in America, but now, news of a deadly one has arrived from overseas. Officials in the Serbian capital of Belgrade report that eight children are dead, as is a security guard, after a seventh-grader opened fire at his own school, per CNN...
That's an Appliance
Floating in This River
Jan 29, 2023 3:55 PM CST
That's an Appliance Floating in This River
Sections of one Balkan river have become a floating garbage dump
- Tons of waste dumped in poorly regulated riverside landfills or directly into waterways that flow across three countries end up turning a section of one Balkan river into a floating garbage dump. Bosnia's Drina River runs 215 miles from the mountains of northwestern Montenegro through Serbia and Bosnia. Some...
Both Sides Step Back From
Brink of War in Kosovo
Dec 29, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Both Sides Step Back From Brink of War in Kosovo
'Diplomacy prevailed in de-escalating tensions,' EU official says
- Serbia on Thursday revoked combat readiness of its troops on the border with Kosovo as local Serbs started removing more than a dozen of the roadblocks they had set up in the north of the state, in a sign of easing of tensions that have sparked fears of a renewed...
In Tense Region, License Plates
Threaten to Unleash Violence
Nov 22, 2022 1:47 PM CST
In Tense Region, License Plates Threaten to Unleash Violence
Kosovo wants ethnic Serbs to stop using ones issued by Belgrade
- The history of ethnic tension between Kosovo and Serbia may be enormously complicated, but in this case it's playing out in a surprisingly simple way: through license plates. And as the BBC explains, it's no trivial matter, as the dispute threatens to erupt into real violence in the...
This Nation Just Nixed a
Huge LGBTQ Event in Europe
Aug 27, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
This Nation Just Nixed a Huge LGBTQ Event in Europe
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic says his nation can't host EuroPride due to extremist threats
- Serbia won't allow a pan-European LGBTQ Pride event to take place in Belgrade next month, the president said Saturday, citing threats from right-wing extremists and fears of clashes. Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic announced the decision to cancel the Sept. 12-18 EuroPride celebration during a news conference, in which he...
Serbia on Environment
Nov 28, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Protests Pressure Serbia on Environment
Weekend actions demand cleaner air, end to mining project
- Thousands of people rallied in Belgrade on Sunday to demand an end to Serbia's alarming levels of air pollution. The rally came a day after another environmental protest in which demonstrators blocked bridges and roads in different parts of the country and scuffled with riot police, the AP reports....
in New Country
Sep 29, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
Havana Syndrome Attack Reported in New Country
Sources say intelligence officer evacuated from Serbia by CIA
- 'Havana Syndrome' has apparently reached Serbia. Current and former US officials tell the
Wall Street Journal
an intelligence officer serving there was recently evacuated by the CIA after suffering serious symptoms consistent with the attacks. The attacks by unknown assailants using still-unclear methods have expanded of late after originating...
Player Sits Out
Toward Thai Team
Jun 10, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Volleyball Player Sits Out After Gesture Toward Thai Team
Serbian player and foundation apologize
- A player on Serbia's national women's volleyball team will sit out her next two matches after making a racist gesture last week when playing Thailand. Sanja Djurdjevic will sit out when her team takes on Belgium and Canada as it prepares for the Tokyo Olympics, the BBC reports....
Islands of Waste Are
Clogging European Rivers
Jan 5, 2021 3:07 PM CST
Islands of Waste Are Clogging European Rivers
Photos of garbage covering water in the Balkans cause outcry
- Huge islands of waste are floating on some rivers in the Balkans, causing an environmental emergency and threatening a regional hydropower plant. Plastic bottles and bags, rusty barrels, and other garbage on Tuesday could be seen clogging the Drina river near the eastern Bosnian town of Visegrad, the AP reports....
Takes Heat for
Jun 23, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Tennis Star Has COVID, Takes Heat for 'Horror Show'
Novak Djokovic and wife Jelena both have virus after controversial tennis exhibition in Balkans
- A tennis exhibition series in the Balkans that got flak for taking place during the pandemic made even more headlines after three players—Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric, and Viktor Troicki—and two staff members contracted COVID-19. Now, a bigger name joins that group. Per the
and CNN , the world'...
Online Posts by
Wife Get Him Cut
Jun 9, 2020 1:23 PM CDT
Online Posts by Soccer Player's Wife Get Him Cut
LA Galaxy forward Aleksandar Katai's wife, Tea, mocked George Floyd protesters online
- The LA Galaxy soccer team cut its 29-year-old Serbian forward Aleksandar Katai on Friday, not because of anything he did, but because of his wife, report Deadline and CNN . The team had become aware that Tea Katai, also from Serbia, recently posted messages online mocking protesters at George Floyd demonstrations....
A World Dispute Is
Making Clocks Run Slow
Mar 9, 2018 7:33 AM CST
A World Dispute Is Making Clocks Run Slow
Enmity between Serbia and Kosovo is affecting alarm clocks throughout Europe
- Some international disputes have strange consequences: This one has the potential to make millions of people late for appointments across Europe. It seems that clocks in 25 nations from Poland to Turkey are running up to six minutes slow because of enmity between Serbia and Kosovo, reports the BBC . The...
by Kosovo, Serbia
Jan 16, 2018 12:21 AM CST
Assassination Condemned by Kosovo, Serbia
Serb lawmaker was shot dead outside party offices
- A leading Serb politician in Kosovo was assassinated outside the offices of his Citizens' Initiative party in the northern city of Mitrovica early Tuesday. Doctors say Oliver Ivanovic received at least five gunshot wounds to his upper torso when shot by unknown assailants. Milan Ivanovic, the head of Mitrovica hospital,...
Meet the Refugee
Mar 13, 2017 6:18 PM CDT
Meet the Refugee Known as 'Little Picasso'
Farhad Nouri has earned the nickname among his fellow migrants
- Farhad Nouri is known among migrants as Little Picasso. The 10-year-old from Afghanistan, who is stranded in Serbia together with his parents and two younger brothers, has earned his nickname for two reasons: he knows how to draw and he loves Pablo Picasso, the AP reports. "One day I...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.