Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Today Is Your Big Day
Nov 27, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Online Shoppers, Today Is Your Big Day
With Black Friday, it's on to Cyber Monday, wrapping up 5-day Cyber Week for holiday shopping
- Consumers are scouring the internet for online deals as they begin to cap off the five-day post-Thanksgiving shopping bonanza with Cyber Monday. Even though e-commerce is now part and parcel of our everyday lives and much of the holiday shopping season, Cyber Monday—a term coined back in 2005 by...
Americans Return a
Mind-Boggling Amount of Stuff
Aug 19, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Americans Return a Mind-Boggling Amount of Stuff
'New Yorker' explores the whole new industry that has arisen to deal with it
- More than a century ago, JC Penney pioneered the concept of no-questions-asked returns. Even so, the return rate was maybe 2%, writes David Owen in the
. In today's age of internet shopping, the return rate is closer to 20% and perhaps twice that for items of clothing....
China Tries to Boost Retail
With Post-COVID Online Sale
Jun 19, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
China Tries to Boost Retail With Post-COVID Online Sale
Consumer spending has lagged in a generally slow economy
- Shoppers were treated to deep discounts, new products, and payment plans as online merchants sought to revive their sluggish appetite for spending during China's first major online shopping festival after the end of zero-COVID policies . For the first time, e-commerce retailer JD.com did not release the results of...
Amazon Is Doubling Down
on Prime Day
Sep 26, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Amazon Is Doubling Down on Prime Day
There'll be another sale next month, the first time company has had 2 in one calendar year
- If one Amazon Prime Day in 2022 wasn't enough for you, you're in luck: On the heels of its annual summer sale exclusively for Prime members, Amazon is hosting another one next month. The 48-hour preholiday event, called the "Prime Early Access Sale," will take place...
Toddler Takes Himself on
$2K Online Shopping Spree
Jan 25, 2022 7:38 AM CST
Toddler Takes Himself on $2K Online Shopping Spree
22-month-old Ayaansh Kumar teaches his parents a lesson about phone security
- Born at the start of the pandemic, Ayaansh Kumar is no stranger to screens. The 22-month-old from Monmouth Junction, NJ, often plays on mom Madhu Kumar's phone, mimicking his older siblings who've been studying virtually over the last two years. However, his parents never expected that he was...
Amazon Makes Big
Change to Complaints Policy
Aug 10, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Amazon Makes Big Change to Complaints Policy
It will now compensate customers injured by faulty third-party products
- Amazon is no longer trying to stay completely out of the process when people are injured by faulty products sold on its website by third parties. In a change to the company's return and complaints policy announced Tuesday, Amazon said that people who are injured or have their property...
Walmart Says It Has
New Return Option
Dec 21, 2020 1:54 PM CST
Walmart Says It Has 'Incredibly Convenient' New Return Option
FedEx will take away unwanted items bought online
- Walmart says it has worked with FedEx to create an "incredibly convenient" option for people who would prefer not to visit busy stores to return items in the middle of an intensifying pandemic. In a blog post , Walmart exec Linne Fulcher says customers can now return items bought online...
Here's Why You Can't
Find a PlayStation 5
Dec 20, 2020 3:55 PM CST
Here's Why You Can't Find a PlayStation 5
When shopping online, it's a battle against bots
- Can't score a PlayStation 5? Thank the so-called "grinch bot." The
reports that Ted Brack, 47, is among those buying the next-gen consoles with software that alerts him when products are available—and allows him to "hammer" retailers with orders faster than a regular...
Black Friday Sales
Break a New Record
Nov 28, 2020 4:20 PM CST
Black Friday Sales Break a New Record
US retail websites rock an estimated $9B in sales
- Black Friday online sales hit a new record this year as pandemic-wary Americans filled virtual carts instead of real ones, the AP reports. Consumers spent an estimated $9 billion on US retail websites on Black Friday, according to Adobe Analytics, which tracks online shopping. That was a 22% increase over...
Everyone's Shopping Online
Now. Amazon Needs Help
Sep 14, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Everyone's Shopping Online Now. Amazon Needs Help
Company plans to hire 100K more workers, which doesn't count upcoming holiday hires
- Amazon has a postponed Prime Day coming up, not to mention the general increase in online shopping seen since the pandemic began—and it needs lots more hands to help with demand. That's why, the company announced Monday, it's hiring an additional 100,000 part-time and full-time workers,...
This Nation May
Soon Run Out
of Credit Card
Aug 24, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
This Nation May Soon Run Out of Credit Card Numbers
So many people are shopping at home during pandemic that it's facing a dearth of digits
- In one sense, the extra credit cards that nearly 300 companies in Japan are issuing during the pandemic due to more people doing their shopping at home is a boon. In another sense, it's causing quite the headache. The
reports that, because so many people are requesting new...
A Bookstore Laid
Then, This Took
Its 'Breath Away'
Mar 30, 2020 1:01 PM CDT
A Bookstore Laid Off Hundreds. Then, This Took Its 'Breath Away'
Powell's, popular indie chain in Oregon, rehires more than 100 workers due to online ordering boom
- A popular indie bookstore chain in Portland, Ore., let go most of its staff—more than 300 employees—earlier this month because of the coronavirus outbreak. Now, per the
Los Angeles Times
, Powell's has hired back more than 100 of those workers, thanks to a surge in buying books...
Rely on 'Amazon's Choice'
Badges? Not So Fast
Dec 24, 2019 3:40 PM CST
Rely on 'Amazon's Choice' Badges? Not So Fast
The Wall Street Journal doesn't like what it sees
- Those "Amazon's Choice" badges do look nice—but don't take them all at face value, the
Wall Street Journal
warns. The paper's investigation of about 54,000 Amazon listings found various head-scratchers, like badges on seemingly unsafe items or products in violation of Amazon policies, like...
Sorry, but There's No
Such Thing as 'Free Shipping'
Dec 23, 2019 2:12 PM CST
Sorry, but There's No Such Thing as 'Free Shipping'
Retailers just hide the costs, and we consumers fall for it
- Pay for shipping? It's become a huge pet peeve for online shoppers, and big retailers have become expert at hiding the true costs, writes Amanda Mull at the
. Small retailers—think individual artisans on Etsy, for example, who have to schlep their own boxes to the post office—...
On Cyber Monday, a 'Threat'
Has Emerged Against Amazon
Dec 2, 2019 8:25 AM CST
On Cyber Monday, a 'Threat' Has Emerged Against Amazon
Target, Walmart, other retailers could suck share on what's set to be biggest online shopping day yet
- Nearly 70 million Americans will be plopped in front of their computers or phones today, and not just because they're back to the grind after the long holiday weekend. It's Cyber Monday, an online extension of the Black Friday sales that have gone on for years, and Reuters...
Guru Wants to
Sell You Stuff
Nov 18, 2019 1:19 PM CST
Decluttering Guru Wants to Sell You Stuff
Marie Kondo now has an extensive online store
- Marie Kondo has a lot going on . The decluttering guru's new books may not have been all that shocking, considering the success of her first,
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.
But her latest move might indeed surprise you: Kondo, the queen of suggesting you toss anything that doesn'...
Amazon Pulling Plug on Dash
Aug 5, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Amazon Pulling Plug on Dash
Say goodbye to 'perplexing' button that you pushed to order stuff with
- Four years after its launch, the Amazon Dash button is headed for the scrap heap. Amazon is pulling the plug on what CNN calls one of its more "perplexing" offerings, and it offers up a primer on the apparently seldom-used product, calling it "for people who liked to...
Amazon Prime Day Is Coming.
Except Now It's Prime Days
Jun 25, 2019 7:24 AM CDT
Amazon Prime Day Is Coming. Except Now It's Prime Days
Sale starting July 15 will stretch for 48 hours
- CNET wonders if Amazon Prime Day may eventually morph into Amazon Prime Month, and it's a reasonable assumption to make considering the company's latest announcement. While last year the annual shopping event ran for a longer-than-usual 36 hours, this year's version is surpassing that, with a...
China's Yearly Shopping Frenzy
Humiliates Cyber Monday
Nov 11, 2018 9:56 AM CST
China's Yearly Shopping Frenzy Humiliates Cyber Monday
Singles Day beats last year's $24B record at 4pm on Sunday
- Online shoppers in China shattered last year's record of $24 billion in sales on the country's annual buying frenzy Sunday , as the tradition marked its 10th year. The spending binge has for years eclipsed Cyber Monday in the US for online purchases on a single day. This year'...
Amazon Offers a New
Perk on Shipping
Nov 5, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Amazon Offers a New Perk on Shipping
All customers can get it free for a while, with no minimum purchase
- Amazon made another aggressive move against rivals Monday in the quest for online shoppers. The company is temporarily offering free shipping to all customers—Prime or no—on all purchases, reports
. It's the first time Amazon has made such an offer without a minimum order requirement. In...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.