Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Iraq Melts Down,
Borders Close, Flights Halt
Aug 30, 2022 2:07 AM CDT
As Iraq Melts Down, Borders Close, Flights Halt
The death toll has reached 20 amid unrest over resignation of influential cleric
- Iran closed its land borders to Iraq as flights to the country halted Tuesday amid violence in Baghdad following an influential Shiite cleric's announcement he would resign from politics, the AP reports. The death toll rose to 20 Iraqis on Tuesday after the unrest erupted the previous day, according...
10 Killed After
Protesters Storm Iraq's
Aug 29, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
10 Killed After Protesters Storm Iraq's Government Palace
Clashes erupt after Muqtada al-Sadr announces retirement from politics
- An influential Shiite cleric announced Monday that he would resign from Iraqi politics, prompting hundreds of his angry followers to storm the government palace and sparking clashes with security forces in which at least 10 protesters were killed. Protesters loyal to cleric Muqtada al-Sadr pulled down the cement barriers outside...
Iraq Releases Tourist
Who Took Rocks Home
Jul 31, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
Iraq Releases Tourist Who Took Rocks Home
Court overturned retired geologist's conviction
: Iraq has released a British citizen imprisoned for antiquities smuggling. Jim Fitton, a retired geologist, has left the country, his family said Sunday, per the AP . An appeals court overturned the conviction and ordered him freed. Sam Tasker, his son-in-law, said Fitton landed Friday in Malaysia, where he lives,...
Jul 30, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Protesters Storm Iraqi Parliament
Cleric's followers begin sit-in, canceling legislative session
- Thousands of followers of an influential Shiite cleric breached Iraq's parliament on Saturday, for the second time this week, protesting government formation efforts led by his rivals, an alliance of Iran-backed groups. The alliance called for counterprotests, raising the specter of civil strife. Iraqi security forces initially used tear...
of the Century'
May 19, 2022 8:52 AM CDT
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Former president slips up during speech, condemns invasion of Iraq instead of Ukraine
- It's been awhile since we were treated to a Bushism , but the internet is once again delivering. The Hill reports that former President George W. Bush was speaking at an event in Dallas on Wednesday when he started slamming Russia's electoral system and how the country persecutes political...
Stack of 7 M&Ms
Takes the Cake
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Stack of 7 M&Ms Takes the Cake
Master balancer Ibrahim Sadeq of Iraq is latest to claim the world record
Will Cutbill had just eight and a half months to enjoy his Guinness World Record for the Tallest Stack of M&Ms at five. The Brit's achievement on Jan. 31, 2021 was the first of three times the world record would be broken in a 15-month span, per...
Iran Fires Missile Barrage
Near US Facility in Iraq
Mar 13, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Iran Fires Missile Barrage Near US Facility in Iraq
It's seen as an escalation of tension between Washington and Tehran
- Iran has claimed responsibility for a missile barrage that struck early Sunday near a sprawling US consulate complex in the northern Iraqi city of Irbil, saying it was retaliation for an Israeli strike in Syria that killed two members of its Revolutionary Guard. No injuries were reported in the attack,...
Iraq Is Done Paying
Reparations to Kuwait
Feb 10, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Iraq Is Done Paying Reparations to Kuwait
It paid out $52B over 3 decades
- Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, and its forces were ousted by 1991. In the more than 30 years since, it has been paying reparations to Kuwait, a process that has finally officially finished. The UN commission set up to review the compensation demands and obtain and pay out the money...
Saga of Looted
Comes to an End
Dec 8, 2021 12:14 PM CST
Saga of Looted Gilgamesh Tablet Comes to an End
3,500-year-old tablet bearing portion of Epic of Gilgamesh now in Baghdad
- A small clay tablet dating back 3,500 years and bearing a portion of the Epic of Gilgamesh that was looted from an Iraqi museum 30 years ago was formally returned to Iraq on Tuesday, following a September repatriation ceremony in Washington, DC. The AP reports the $1.7 million...
In Iraq, an Assassination
Attempt Via Armed Drone
Nov 7, 2021 5:29 AM CST
In Iraq, an Assassination Attempt Via Armed Drone
Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi is OK after assault on his home
- Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi survived an assassination attempt with an armed drone that targeted his residence early Sunday, and officials said he was unharmed. The attack in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone marks a major escalation of tensions sparked by the refusal of Iran-backed militias to accept...
Gilgamesh Dream Tablet
Is Finally Returned to Iraq
Sep 24, 2021 3:07 AM CDT
Gilgamesh Dream Tablet Is Finally Returned to Iraq
It was looted years before Hobby Lobby bought it in 2014
: A 3,500-year-old clay tablet looted from an Iraqi museum 30 years ago and bought by Hobby Lobby in 2014 is now officially Iraq's property again. The Gilgamesh Dream Tablet was formally returned at a repatriation ceremony at the Smithsonian Institution Thursday, CNN reports. Fareed Yasseen, Iraq's...
Biden, Iraqi Leader Announce
Change of US Mission
Jul 26, 2021 6:09 PM CDT
Biden, Iraqi Leader Announce Change of US Mission
Combat troops to be withdrawn, but nations will work together against ISIS
- President Biden said Monday the US combat mission in Iraq will conclude by the end of the year, an announcement that reflects the reality on the ground more than a major shift in US policy. Even before Biden took office, the main focus had been assisting Iraqi forces , not fighting...
US to Pull
Jul 22, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
US to Pull Combat Troops From Iraq
By the end of the year, under the agreement, the American role will have shifted to advisory
- The US and Iraq expect to announce next week that American combat troops will be out of Iraq by the end of the year. The countries are working on a plan that would keep Americans there in an advisory role, to help with the fight against ISIS. "We don'...
50 Dead After Fire Breaks Out
in Coronavirus Ward in Iraq
Jul 13, 2021 12:31 AM CDT
50 Dead After Fire Breaks Out in Coronavirus Ward in Iraq
Country's hospitals suffer from widespread negligence and systemic mismanagement
- A fire swept through a coronavirus ward in southern Iraq, killing at least 50 people and injuring dozens more, Iraqi medical officials said late Monday. The officials said all those who died suffered severe burns during the blaze at al-Hussein Teaching Hospital in the southern city of Nasiryah, the AP...
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From
ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Jun 28, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Critics of Mosul landmark getting rebuilt after ISIS destruction say plan ignores Iraq's heritage
- A UNESCO competition to rebuild devastated landmarks in one of the world's oldest cities isn't going over well. The UN agency launched its "Revive the Spirit of Mosul" project after the Islamic State occupied the Iraqi city from 2014 to 2017, wreaking havoc on its heritage sites,...
Biden Orders Airstrikes
in Iraq, Syria
Jun 28, 2021 6:12 AM CDT
Biden Orders Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria
Targeting Iran-backed militias
- The US military, under the direction of President Biden, has conducted airstrikes against what it said were “facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups” near the border between Iraq and Syria. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against...
Senate to Vote on Repealing
2002 Iraq War Authorization
Jun 16, 2021 4:18 PM CDT
Senate to Vote on Repealing 2002 Iraq War Authorization
'The Iraq War has been over for nearly a decade,' Chuck Schumer says
- In 2002, Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden were among the 29 Democratic senators who voted to authorize the use of military force in Iraq. Almost 20 years later, they support repealing the authorization. Schumer said Wednesday that he supports repealing the measure and the Senate will hold a vote on...
Oxygen Tank Blast,
Fire Kill 82 in Hospital
Apr 25, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Oxygen Tank Blast, Fire Kill 82 in Hospital
Iraq says at least 200 people were rescued
- An explosion and fire in the intensive care unit at a hospital in Baghdad killed 82 people and injured 110, the Iraqi government said. The unit treats severe cases of COVID-19, and at least 28 of the patients killed were on ventilators, CBS reports. At least 200 people were rescued...
Pope Joins Historic Appeal
for Coexistence in Peace
Mar 6, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Pope Joins Historic Appeal for Coexistence in Peace
'We need one another,' Francis says after meeting in Iraq
- After a historic private meeting with a senior Shiite cleric in Iraq, Pope Francis appealed for religious tolerance. "We need one another," the pope said later in a speech on the desert plain of Ur, believed to be the birthplace of Abraham. "Hostility, extremism and violence are...
Iraq Prepares for
First-Ever Papal Visit
Mar 5, 2021 12:17 AM CST
Iraq Prepares for First-Ever Papal Visit
It's Francis' first overseas trip since pandemic began
- Pope Francis heads to Iraq on Friday to urge the country’s dwindling number of Christians to stay put and help rebuild the country after years of war and persecution, brushing aside the coronavirus pandemic and security concerns to make the first-ever papal visit to the country. Iraqis were keen...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.