Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Two NY Hospitals Turn Away
Patients After Cyberattack
Oct 20, 2023 3:47 PM CDT
Two NY Hospitals Turn Away Patients After Cyberattack
Health care network is taking its IT systems down
- Two hospitals in New York were hit with a cyberattack and are diverting patients to other facilities, hospital officials said Friday. The cyberattack affected computer systems at HealthAlliance Hospital in Kingston along with Margaretville Hospital and Mountainside Residential Care Center—all part of the Westchester Medical Center Health Network, the...
on Japan Called
Aug 8, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Chinese Cyberattack on Japan Called 'Shockingly Bad'
China reportedly hacked into Japan's classified defense networks in just-revealed 2020 attack
- In an incident that reportedly happened in 2020 but is only just now being revealed, a dozen anonymous sources tell the
that China hacked into Japan's classified defense networks. A former US military official who was briefed on the cyberattack tells the
, "It was bad—...
Hospital ERs to Close
Aug 4, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Cyberattack Forces Hospital ERs to Close
Locations in multiple states are affected
- A cyberattack has disrupted hospital computer systems in multiple states, forcing some emergency rooms to close and ambulances to be diverted, and many primary care services remained closed on Friday as security experts worked to determine the extent of the problem and resolve it. The data security attack began Thursday...
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
Worst Disruption Since '96
May 15, 2023 3:33 AM CDT
Worst Disruption Since '96
It's not yet clear when newspaper's systems will be fully restored
experienced the most significant disruption to its operations in 27 years due to what the newspaper calls a cyberattack, the AP reports. The company was working to restore print operations after a cyber incursion that prevented the printing of the newspaper's Sunday print edition, the
Says It Was
Hit by Cyberattack
Dec 21, 2022 6:10 PM CST
Says It Was Hit by Cyberattack
British newspaper tells employees to work from home after suspected ransomware attack
says that it has been hit by a suspected ransomware attack but that its online publishing is, evidently, largely unaffected. Executives said the newspaper hopes to go ahead with its Thursday print edition. The British paper reported "a serious IT incident" starting Tuesday night, and staff at...
Hits US Airport Websites
Oct 10, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Pro-Russian 'Killnet' Hits US Airport Websites
'Denial of service' attack did not affect air traffic or flight operations
- Officials at more than a dozen major US airports were greeted first thing Monday morning by cyberattacks against their public-facing websites. Air travel was not disrupted, per Axios, but the issue may have been an “inconvenience” for some travelers. The pro-Russian “hacktivist” group Killnet claimed responsibility. The group...
Costa Rica's New President
Declares State of Emergency
May 13, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Costa Rica's New President Declares State of Emergency
Country has been hit by ransomware attacks
- After a month of crippling ransomware attacks, Costa Rica has declared a state of emergency. In theory, the measure usually reserved to deal with natural disasters or the COVID-19 pandemic would free up the government to react more nimbly to the crisis. President Rodrigo Chaves, who was sworn in Sunday,...
May 10, 2022 1:26 AM CDT
Cyberattack Doomed 157-Year-Old College
Lincoln College shutting its doors due to ransomware attack, COVID pandemic
- For the first time in the US, a higher education institution is shuttering, in part, due to a ransomware attack. Lincoln College, an Illinois school that qualifies as a predominantly Black institution and which opened in 1865 as the namesake school of Abraham Lincoln, is closing Friday after also struggling...
Digital 'Swarm' Fights
Russian Sites Online
Mar 5, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Digital 'Swarm' Fights Russian Sites Online
One Ukrainian site lets mothers search photos for sons among captured Russian troops
- Formed in a fury to counter Russia's blitzkrieg attack, Ukraine's hundreds-strong volunteer "hacker" corps is more than a paramilitary cyberattack force in Europe's first major war of the internet age. It is crucial to information combat and to crowdsourcing intelligence. "We are really a swarm....
Shuts Down Toyota Production
Feb 28, 2022 11:54 AM CST
Suspected Cyberattack Shuts Down Toyota Production
Company suspends work at plants in Japan
- Toyota is suspending production at all 28 lines of its 14 plants in Japan starting Tuesday, because of a "system malfunction" that a domestic supplier suspects is a cyberattack. Kojima Industries Corp., based in Toyota city in central Japan, said Monday the problem could be a cyberattack, as an...
UN: Cyberattacks Fund
North Korean Missiles
Feb 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
UN: Cyberattacks Fund North Korean Missiles
Millions in cryptocurrency from exchanges go toward restricted systems
- A major source of funding for North Korea's government, especially its missile program, is theft, a UN report says. The investigation found that cyberattacks have netted millions in stolen cryptocurrency, the BBC reports, from at least three cryptocurrency exchanges in North America, Europe, and Asia. The findings have been...
Hackers to Ukraine:
'Be Afraid, Expect the Worst'
Jan 14, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Hackers to Ukraine: 'Be Afraid, Expect the Worst'
Authorities strongly suspect Russian involvement
- "Be afraid and expect the worst," cyberattackers warned in a massive hacking attack on Ukrainian government websites Friday. The warning message was left on the foreign ministry's website in Ukrainian, Russian, and Polish, the
New York Times
reports. "Ukrainians! All your personal data was uploaded to...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Oct 21, 2021 3:55 PM CDT
Former Worker Admits Taking Rural Water System Down
Shared password enabled the remote attack on Kansas utility
- All Wyatt Travnichek had to do to remotely shut down a rural Kansas water system was know the shared pass code to get into the software that controls the plant. The Post Rock Rural Water District uses a shared GoToMyPC account to give employees remote access after hours, a prosecutor...
Ransomware Attack Takes
TV Stations Off the Air
Oct 18, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Ransomware Attack Takes TV Stations Off the Air
Sinclair Broadcasting battles cyberattack
- One of the largest operators of TV stations in the US is dealing with disruptions caused by a ransomware attack. Sinclair Broadcast Group announced Monday that it was hit over the weekend. The company said hackers stole data and encrypted some operational servers, NBC reports, knocking them out of service....
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
White House: Biden Called
Putin With a Warning
Jul 9, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
White House: Biden Called Putin With a Warning
President said US will take 'any necessary action' to stop Russian hackers
- President Biden called Vladimir Putin on Friday to deliver a warning about cyberattacks, reports Axios . Biden told Putin the US is poised to retaliate after another ransomware incident blamed on Russian hackers, according to a White House statement. “Biden reiterated that the United States will take any necessary action...
Biden Says Putin Will Get
Message on Cyberattacks
Jul 7, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Biden Says Putin Will Get Message on Cyberattacks
Latest attacks will test his vow for consequences for Russia
- President Biden said Wednesday he would "deliver" a message to Russian President Vladimir Putin about the latest ransomware attacks targeting American businesses, setting up a test of Biden's ability to balance his pledge to respond firmly to cyber breaches with his goal of developing a stable relationship with...
Jul 3, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Ransomware Attack Spreads to Hundreds of Companies
US software supplier is hit first, with fallout reaching Sweden
- An unchecked ransomware attack on a US software company has spread rapidly to companies and organizations elsewhere, even closing hundreds of grocery stores in Sweden. Cybersecurity experts called it one of the biggest criminal ransomware attacks in history, NBC reports. Kaseya, which manages programs for companies that handle internet services...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.