Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Trump Reacts to Critical
Report on FBI: 'Scammed'
May 16, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Trump Reacts to Critical Report on FBI: 'Scammed'
Former president slams 'treasonous charade' after special counsel faults Russia probe
- The report didn't go as far as he hoped, but former President Trump is still looking to quickly capitalize on withering new criticism of the FBI's investigation of him. "I, and much more importantly, the American public have been victims of this long-running and treasonous charade started...
May 15, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Durham Report Slams FBI's Trump Probe
Special counsel cites confirmation bias among the flaws
- Special counsel John Durham issued his final report Monday after a four-year review of the FBI's investigation into possible connections between Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russian efforts to affect the election. The conclusions included sharp criticism of the FBI for relying on "raw, unanalyzed, and...
Trump Probe Into Russia
Investigation Yields Little
Jan 27, 2023 11:50 AM CST
Trump Probe Into Russia Investigation Yields Little
'NYT' finds investigation relied on dubious intelligence, as critics claimed of the Russia probe
- Then-attorney general Bill Barr ordered an investigation into the handling of the Trump-Russia investigation in 2019, saying he wanted to know if "officials abused their power and put their thumb on the scale" in pursuing what critics called a "witch hunt." A year later, he stated "...
Analyst Acquitted Over
Discredited Trump Dossier
Oct 18, 2022 5:06 PM CDT
Analyst Acquitted Over Discredited Trump Dossier
Igor Danchenko acquittal is a big setback for Special Counsel John Durham
- A jury on Tuesday acquitted a think tank analyst accused of lying to the FBI about his role in the creation of a discredited dossier about former President Donald Trump. The case against US-based Russia analyst Igor Danchenko was the third and possibly final case brought by Special Counsel John...
Loses First Test
May 31, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Trump-Era Special Counsel Loses First Test in Court
Former Clinton attorney Sussmann acquitted of lying to the FBI in regard to Russia probe
- A lawyer for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign was acquitted Tuesday of lying to the FBI when he pushed information meant to cast suspicions on Donald Trump and Russia in the run-up to the 2016 election. The case against Michael Sussmann was the first courtroom test of special counsel...
Court Filing Causes Ruckus
in Trump, Clinton Camps
Feb 15, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Court Filing Causes Ruckus in Trump, Clinton Camps
Conservatives say John Durham development suggests spying on the White House
- A new narrative has emerged in the orbit of former President Trump, one that accuses the Hillary Clinton campaign of essentially spying on the former president. It's a tangled story that involves special counsel John Durham and Democratic-allied lawyer Michael Sussmann, who was previously charged with lying to the...
Bill Barr May Be Out Sooner
Than the Inauguration
Dec 3, 2020 1:20 PM CST
Bill Barr May Be Out Sooner Than the Inauguration
Reports say president is furious with AG over inaction in John Durham's investigation
- William Barr's days as attorney general may be numbered, and not just because Inauguration Day approaches. Multiple outlets are reporting that President Trump is furious with Barr, one of his most loyal Cabinet officials, and may fire him before leaving office. Coverage:
What Trump says:
The president could have
Barr Reportedly Isn't Happy
With New Trump Pressure
Oct 9, 2020 9:26 AM CDT
Barr Reportedly Isn't Happy With New Trump Pressure
President wants report on Russia investigation released before election, which looks unlikely
- President Trump is making it very clear that he wants his attorney general to take action before the election against top Democrats such as former President Obama and Joe Biden over the origins of the Russia investigation. Trump's public pressure is reportedly causing new friction with William Barr, though...
Barr's Investigation of Russia
Probe Getting First Guilty Plea
Aug 14, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Barr's Investigation of Russia Probe Getting First Guilty Plea
False statement count involves altering a government email
- A former FBI lawyer will plead guilty to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from US Attorney John Durham's investigation into the probe of ties between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign. Kevin Clinesmith will plead guilty to one count of making a false statement...
Trump, FBI Director Clash
on Watchdog Report
Dec 10, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Trump, FBI Director Clash on Watchdog Report
'With that kind of attitude, he will never be able to fix the FBI': Trump
- President Trump seems to be ignoring the facts laid out in Monday's Justice Department inspector general's report , which disputed his claim that the FBI probe into possible collusion between his 2016 campaign and Russia was illegal and motivated by political bias. The report's findings are "far...
Report: Probe of Mueller Probe
Is Now a Criminal Investigation
Oct 25, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Report: Probe of Mueller Probe Is Now a Criminal Investigation
Democrats say move raises 'profound concerns'
- The Justice Department's investigation of itself is now a criminal investigation, though it's not clear what crimes are suspected, sources say. An insider tells Politico that the investigation of the probe into Russian election interference in 2016—which became the Robert Mueller investigation—has been "escalated" from...
Trump Pushed a PM
to Help Mueller Probe
Sep 30, 2019 5:59 PM CDT
Trump Pushed a PM to Help Mueller Probe
Italy, other nations are being asked to assist with Barr's inquiry
- In May, Attorney General William Barr asked a US attorney to run an inquiry into the roots of the Russia election interference investigation. Sometime later, NBC reports, Barr decided other countries might be able to help, and he suggested that President Trump call Australia, US officials say. So the president...
Report: Barr Will Indeed
'Investigate the Investigators'
May 14, 2019 1:57 AM CDT
Report: Barr Will Indeed 'Investigate the Investigators'
John Durham will look into 'intelligence collection activities'
- Attorney General William Barr has heeded President Trump's call to "investigate the investigators" and assigned a prosecutor to look into the origins of the Russia investigation, sources tell the
New York Times
and other outlets. The sources say Barr has chosen John Durham, the top federal prosecutor in...
US to Investigate Deaths
of Two Detainees
Jun 30, 2011 4:24 PM CDT
US to Investigate Deaths of Two Detainees
Holder orders pair of inquiries but drops nearly 100 others
- The is-it-torture debate is probably going to rev up again: The Justice Department says it will launch criminal inquiries into the deaths of two detainees in US custody in 2002 and 2003, reports the
. Eric Holder gave the green light on the recommendation of federal prosecutor John Durham,...
Grand Jury Probes CIA in
Abu Ghraib's 'Iceman' Killing
Jun 13, 2011 4:32 PM CDT
Grand Jury Probes CIA in Abu Ghraib's 'Iceman' Killing
Quiet proceedings investigate 'war crimes,' 'torture'
- A secret federal grand jury is now hearing witnesses in the decade-old case of the “Iceman,” an Abu Ghraib prisoner who died on the CIA’s watch. It’s just one of several cases in the jury’s “investigation of possible violations of federal criminal laws involving...
Justice Department Narrows Inquiry Into CIA Tactics
Sep 19, 2009 10:17 AM CDT
Justice Department Narrows Inquiry Into CIA Tactics
Lead investigator will probe only a handful of cases
- Eric Holder continues to take heavy flak from critics who think he should leave the CIA alone, and the
has news that should give them at least a bit of satisfaction: The Justice Department's preliminary investigation will be smaller than anticipated. The lead investigator will look at only...
Holder Launches Probe
Into CIA Torture Allegations
Aug 24, 2009 3:35 PM CDT
Holder Launches Probe Into CIA Torture Allegations
- AG Eric Holder today named a special prosecutor to investigate allegations of torture against CIA operatives who interrogated terror suspects during the Bush administration, the
reports. John Durham, who is currently probing the destruction of interrogation tapes, will look into fewer than 12 cases detailed in a CIA...
Justice to Probe CIA Tapes
Jan 2, 2008 3:02 PM CST
Justice to Probe CIA Tapes
Department launches criminal investigation
- The Justice Department has launched a criminal probe into the CIA's destruction of videotapes documenting the interrogation of two Al-Qaeda suspects. Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey appointed John Durham, a federal prosecutor from Connecticut, to head the inquiry. Durham has a reputation as a tough prosecutor; he has overseen investigations...
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.