Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Was Once
Jul 20, 2023 12:01 PM CDT
He Was Once the 'World's Most Wanted Hacker'
Kevin Mitnick dies from cancer complications at age 59
- Kevin Mitnick, named the world's most wanted computer hacker during a 1990s crime spree, died Sunday at age 59. Mitnick had been battling pancreatic cancer for more than a year, according to his obituary , which notes "much of his life reads like a fiction story." "An...
Journo at Center
of FBI Search
on Fox Leak
May 26, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Ex-Deadspin Journo at Center of FBI Search on Fox Leak
Per 'Tampa Bay Times,' agency searched home of Timothy Burke earlier this month in criminal probe
- In October, Kanye West sat down for a two-part interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson, when the latter was still part of the network's prime-time lineup. Just days later, Vice's Motherboard published unseen clips from that interview, with even more eyebrow-raising snippets from the rapper, including antisemitic tropes...
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left
'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
May 10, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left 'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
UK man pleads guilty to scheme that targeted accounts of 130-plus names, including Musk, Biden
- A UK man arrested in Spain two summers ago and accused of hacking into the Twitter accounts of some big names—including the current owner of the platform himself—has pleaded guilty to the plot, which also involved the theft of a hefty amount of crypto. On Tuesday, the US...
Austrian Citizens Aren't
Going to Like This News
Jan 26, 2023 7:26 AM CST
Austrian Citizens Aren't Going to Like This News
Police say hacker took personal data for nearly every person living there, put it up for sale
- If you live in Austria, chances are good that some of your personal information is now accessible to criminals. That's because police have revealed that a suspect they nabbed in November got their hands on data for pretty much every Austrian citizen and put it up for sale on...
Hacker: I've Got Source
Grand Theft Auto
Sep 20, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Hacker: I've Got Source Code for
Grand Theft Auto
Rockstar Games is 'extremely disappointed' on leaked footage of upcoming version of video game
- Video game producer Rockstar Games said Monday that early development footage from the next version of its popular title
Grand Theft Auto
was stolen in the hack of its network. Someone claiming to be the hacker, posting on Telegram, dumped 90 video clips from the theft online on Sunday and...
Uber Hacker Gained
Sep 17, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Uber Hacker Gained Admin Access
Experts lament Uber failures that allowed breach
- The ride-hailing service Uber said Friday that all its services were operational following what security professionals are calling a major data breach, claiming there was no evidence the hacker got access to sensitive user data. But the breach, apparently by a lone hacker, put the spotlight on an increasingly effective...
Turkish Hacker Hit
Oct 18, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Turkish Hacker Hit Trump Website
'Do not be like those who forget Allah,' message said
- The "action" section of Donald Trump's website carried an unusual message in English and Turkish on Monday: "Do not be like those who forget Allah, so Allah made them forget themselves. Here they really went astray." The page had been defaced by Turkish hacktivist group RootAyyildiz,...
Hacker Behind $610M Crypto
Theft: I Had Good Intentions
Aug 13, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Hacker Behind $610M Crypto Theft: I Had Good Intentions
Almost all of the stolen funds have been returned by 'Mr. White Hat'
- It seems pleading worked. Poly Network, which urged hackers to return more than $610 million in cryptocurrency stolen from its decentralized finance platform this week in one of the largest ever cryptocurrency thefts, says almost all of the assets have been returned. In a Thursday tweet, the platform said the...
Maker on Hackers'
Extortion: We Will
Feb 9, 2021 12:32 PM CST
Maker on Hackers' Extortion: We Will Not Negotiate
Ransomware creators steal, threaten to release source code from CD Projekt Red
- "You have 48 hours to contact us." That was the ransom note left Monday after a cyberattack against
maker CD Projekt Red, which has posted the note online and said it's not in the mood for negotiations. The hackers' message indicated that they stole the...
Funds to Tune of $11.4B
Jan 26, 2021 2:45 AM CST
Calif.: Criminals Raided Unemployment Funds to Tune of $11.4B
State's labor secretary says hackers, other criminals may have stolen an additional $20B
- From March of last year to the middle of January, California paid out some $114 billion in unemployment benefits. Now, the state's labor secretary, Julie Su, has some alarming news on about $11.4 billion, or 10%, of that figure—those payments were fraudulent, stolen by hackers, identity thieves,...
Security, He Spied
on 'Most Intimate
Jan 22, 2021 1:24 PM CST
Tasked With Security, He Spied on 'Most Intimate Moments' Instead
Ex-ADT tech admits he hacked into home security systems to watch people get undressed, have sex
, John Belushi's Bluto used a ladder to spy on women undressing. The modern-day (and perhaps creepier) version of a peeping Tom has a more high-tech method: hacking into home surveillance feeds. That's what Telesforo Aviles, a former employee for home security company ADT, has admitted...
Florida Man Kept the
Governor From Voting
Oct 28, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Florida Man Kept the Governor From Voting
A hacker changed Gov. Ron DeSantis' voter registration info
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis couldn't vote Monday because someone had gone online and changed his address in a state database, WESH reports. Authorities tracked the hacker via an IP address and arrested Anthony Guevara, a 20-year-old Naples man, on two counts including felony voter fraud. Authorities say Guevara had...
Twitter Skeptical of
Report Trump Was Hacked
Oct 23, 2020 8:28 AM CDT
Twitter Skeptical of Report Trump Was Hacked
Dutch security researcher says he gained access with 'maga2020!'
- A Dutch tech researcher says he was able to gain access to President Trump's Twitter account last week by correctly guessing the password "maga2020!" There's a precedent here: He happens to be the same guy who accessed the president's Twitter account in 2016 by guessing...
to Massive Twitter Hack
Jul 17, 2020 12:03 PM CDT
21-Year-Old Linked to Massive Twitter Hack
KrebsOnSecurity does a deep dive into what we know
- The hackers who hit Twitter got big names such as Joe Biden and Jeff Bezos, so why not the most famous tweeter of all, President Trump? It seems that Twitter gave Trump extra protections after unspecified previous incidents, reports the
New York Times
. Both an administration official and a Twitter...
He Found a 'Loophole' for a
'Free' Flight. Now, a Lawsuit
Mar 5, 2020 9:34 AM CST
He Found a 'Loophole' for a 'Free' Flight. Now, a Lawsuit
Brussels Airlines is suing hacker who flew himself, 2 pals to New York for free
- An overseas airline has filed a lawsuit against a hacker who booked a "free" flight from Belgium to New York. The
reports that Brussels Airlines wants $22,000 in damages from the 25-year-old man after he flew himself and two buddies to the US in business class...
His Epic Hack Paralyzed
a Nation. He's About to Go Free
in case you missed it
Jan 5, 2020 10:00 AM CST
His Epic Hack Paralyzed a Nation. He's About to Go Free
Daniel Kaye took down Liberia's internet as part of a corporate plot
- In November of 2016, a friend sent Daniel Kaye a message asking him how things were going. "I have broken the Internet and am dead afraid but otherwise everything’s hunky dory," wrote Kaye in response. As a story at Bloomberg explains, the British 29-year-old wasn't exaggerating...
Ex-Yahoo Engineer: I Hacked
6K Accounts for Sex Pics, Vids
Oct 1, 2019 5:03 AM CDT
Ex-Yahoo Engineer: I Hacked 6K Accounts for Sex Pics, Vids
Reyes Daniel Ruiz pleaded guilty to targeting younger women, including friends, co-workers
- Young women who were colleagues or friends of Reyes Daniel Ruiz may not like the news they're hearing, though at least they can take comfort that he's been busted. CNN reports that the 34-year-old software engineer pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to using the access he used...
Online Bragging Led to
Alleged Capital One Hacker
Jul 30, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
Online Bragging Led to Alleged Capital One Hacker
User named 'erratic' has been writing about the data
- It's one of the biggest-ever data breaches of a bank—and an arrest has been made. That might be of little solace to the 106 million Capital One credit card customers and applicants who had their data stolen in late March. Paige Thompson, 33, was arrested Monday in Seattle....
Data of Nearly
Jul 18, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Hacker Steals Data of Nearly Everyone in Entire Nation
20-year-old is arrested in Bulgaria
- The personal and financial data of pretty much every adult in Bulgaria has been stolen, reports the
New York Times .
An individual claiming to be a Russian hacker took responsibility for the attack on the nation's tax agency while slamming the government's cybersecurity efforts as "parody" in...
Man Gets Creepy
in case you missed it
Dec 22, 2018 11:05 AM CST
Man Gets Creepy 'Wake-Up Call' From His Security Camera
Voice claiming to be 'white hat' hacker came out of Arizona man's Nest Cam IQ camera
- When your security camera makes you feel
secure, there might be a problem. Especially when a voice emanating from the other end claims to be a "white hat hacker" from the "Anonymous Calgary Hivemind." That's what Andy Gregg tells the
happened a few...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.