Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Florida Is Growing
Faster Than Any State
Dec 23, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Florida Is Growing Faster Than Any State
Census Bureau puts Florida back on top in yearly population growth, pushing out Idaho
- Florida has supplanted Idaho as the nation's fastest-growing state, after a 1.9% population increase in the past year. The Census Bureau report restores Florida to the top spot for the first time since 1957, after being blocked for decades mostly by Nevada, Politico reports. Florida's population now...
Detroit Sues Census Bureau:
Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
Sep 20, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Detroit Sues Census Bureau: Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
City says agency is undercounting its residents
- Detroit sued the US Census Bureau on Tuesday over population estimates from last year that show the city lost an additional 7,100 residents, opening another front against the agency in a battle over how its people have been counted in the past two years. Mayor Mike Duggan told reporters...
During the Pandemic,
Child Poverty Rate Plummeted
Sep 14, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
During the Pandemic, Child Poverty Rate Plummeted
More than 5M people emerged from poverty thanks to enhanced child tax credit
- In 1993, the US child poverty rate came in at almost 28%, but last year, it fell to just 5.2%—a "stunning stat" that equates to a more than 80% drop over those three decades, per Axios . According to Census Bureau data released Tuesday, the 2021 figure also...
Millennials Don't Go
Too Far From the Nest
Jul 25, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Millennials Don't Go Too Far From the Nest
By age 26, more than two-thirds of young adults in the US lived in the same area where they grew up
- A new study by Census Bureau and Harvard University researchers suggests that millennials aren't straying far from home in adulthood. By age 26, more than two-thirds of young adults in the US lived in the same area where they grew up, 80% had moved less than 100 miles away,...
Mar 10, 2022 4:10 PM CST
Census Measures Percentage Overlooked
Nearly 5% of Hispanic residents weren't included for 2020
- The 2020 census missed an unexpectedly small percentage of the total US population given the unprecedented challenges it faced, but Black, Hispanic, and American Indian residents were overlooked at higher rates than a decade ago, the Census Bureau said Thursday. The percentage of people overlooked during the 2020 census was...
Here's How Much the
World Grew in the Past Year
Dec 31, 2021 12:06 AM CST
Here's How Much the World Grew in the Past Year
By 74M people, according to US Census Bureau
- The world’s population is projected to be 7.8 billion people on New Year’s Day 2022, according to the US Census Bureau. That represents an increase of 74 million people, or a 0.9% growth rate from New Year’s Day 2021, the AP reports. Starting in the...
2020 Census: Here Are
the 10 Biggest US Cities
Aug 13, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
2020 Census: Here Are the 10 Biggest US Cities
All the cities on this list grew over the past decade
- Data from the 2020 census is out, and for the first time, each of the 10 largest US cities have 1 million people or more . Per the Census Bureau , those urban centers all grew from 2010 to last year, and eight of those 10 grew at a faster rate in...
Biggest Population Increase:
Aug 13, 2021 8:56 AM CDT
Biggest Population Increase: Multiracial People
Analysts say many who previously ticked only 'white' have changed category
- The fastest-growing population group in America ticked more than one box in the race question on the 2020 census. According to census data released Thursday, the number of multiracial Americans, which the Census Bureau refers to as the "Two or More Races population," surged by 276% between 2010...
New Yorkers Get a Lesson
on Returning Census Forms
Apr 27, 2021 9:06 AM CDT
New Yorkers Get a Lesson on Returning Census Forms
If only 89 more people had returned 2020 forms, state would not have lost a House seat
- New census numbers released Monday show that US population growth has slowed significantly in the last decade. The numbers also confirm that the population continues to shift to the West and the South and away from the Northeast and the Midwest, notes Intelligencer . A look at some of the other...
Census Bureau Chief
Quits Amid Heavy Criticism
Jan 18, 2021 3:38 PM CST
Census Bureau Chief Quits Amid Heavy Criticism
Dems accuse Dillingham of politicizing the census
- Facing criticism over efforts to produce citizenship data to comply with an order from President Trump, US Census Bureau director Steven Dillingham said Monday that he plans to resign with the change in presidential administrations. Dillingham, whose term doesn't expire until the end of 2021, said in a statement...
Takes Census Fight
to Supreme Court
Oct 8, 2020 12:42 AM CDT
White House Takes Census Fight to Supreme Court
Trump administration asks high court to let it stop the 2020 count
- The ongoing census battle has reached the highest court in the land. After a federal judge ordered the 2020 census to continue through the end of October and a US appeals court on Wednesday refused to reverse that ruling, the Trump administration that same day filed an emergency request with...
Judge Stops Census
From Finishing Early
Sep 25, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Judge Stops Census From Finishing Early
Federal judge says count must go on
- A federal judge has stopped the 2020 census from finishing at the end of September and ordered the once-a-decade head count of every US resident to continue for another month through the end of October, saying a shortened schedule likely would produce inaccurate results. US District Judge Lucy Koh in...
This May Be a Demographic
'Shock' to Boomers
Aug 3, 2020 12:06 PM CDT
This May Be a Demographic 'Shock' to Boomers
Those under age 40 now outnumber their older generations
- Sorry, boomers. Millennials and their younger siblings and children now make up a majority of the US population, per the AP . A new analysis by the Brookings Institution shows that 50.7% of US residents were under age 40, as of July 2019. Brookings' analysis of population estimates released this...
Census Cuts Itself Short, Many
Fear 'Massive Undercount'
Jul 31, 2020 7:35 AM CDT
Census Cuts Itself Short, Many Fear 'Massive Undercount'
Census Bureau reportedly ending door-knocking efforts earlier than expected amid WH pressure
- About 40% of US homes haven't responded to census questionnaires for this year's mandated count, so the Census Bureau has started sending out door knockers. But those efforts may be cut short, amid an apparent push by the bureau to wrap things up much earlier than expected—a...
Trump Makes Another
Big Census Move
Jul 21, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
Trump Makes Another Big Census Move
Orders undocumented immigrants to be excluded when determining congressional representation
- President Trump, apparently undaunted by the failure of last year's effort to add a citizenship question to the census, is taking another shot at narrowing its definition of "persons." In a memo issued Tuesday, Trump called for undocumented immigrants to be excluded from the count when determining...
Displacement During Pandemic
Is Complicating the Count
May 10, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Displacement During Pandemic Is Complicating the Count
Plans after the outbreak affect answer on census form
- It's not meant to be a trick question, but many filling out their 2020 US census form struggle to answer: How many people were staying at your home on April 1? The pandemic has fostered sudden dislocation, making a typically easy question confusing, the AP reports. Some people living...
Census Day Is Here
Apr 1, 2020 3:27 AM CDT
Census Day Is Here
Bureau says it is 'laser-focused' on completing count
- Census Day—the date used to reference where a person lives for the once-a-decade count—arrived Wednesday with a nation almost paralyzed by the spread of the coronavirus. But census officials vowed the job would be completed by its year-end deadline. The virus' spread has forced the US Census Bureau...
Census Wants to Know:
Who Is 'Person 1' in House?
Feb 24, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Census Wants to Know: Who Is 'Person 1' in House?
The AP points out possibility for odd conversations
- The 2020 census will not have a controversial citizenship question . But as the AP points out, it will have one with the potential to cause awkward—or maybe funny—conversations. Who is "Person 1" in the household? The form itself tries to go about it in the least controversial...
Expecting a 'Full' Census
in Your State? Uh, About That
Nov 23, 2019 2:10 PM CST
Expecting a 'Full' Census in Your State? Uh, About That
The once-in-a-decade count begins in January
- With billions in federal aid and seats in Congress at stake, some states are dragging their feet in carrying out one of the Census Bureau's chief recommendations for making sure everyone is counted during the 2020 census, the AP reports. Five states—Florida, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Texas—...
These Are the 10
Fastest-Growing Cities in US
May 23, 2019 11:22 AM CDT
These Are the 10 Fastest-Growing Cities in US
There are two lists, and Frisco, Texas, makes it on both
- The US Census Bureau is out with new population estimates for cities and towns, and those estimates reveal that most of the fastest-growing cities are in the South and West. The bureau looks at places with populations of 50,000 or more and breaks down growth in two ways, by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.