Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
His Tour de France Win Raises
Question: How Many More?
Jul 28, 2019 7:16 PM CDT
His Tour de France Win Raises Question: How Many More?
Egan Bernal is just 22
- Egan Bernal's crowning Sunday as the Tour de France's youngest post-World War II champion, and its first from South America, heralded the birth of a new supernova in the cycling universe. Winning a Tour for the ages at the unusually young age of 22 immediately prompted a question,...
Bike Safety Advocate
Fatally Struck While Cycling
Apr 22, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Bike Safety Advocate Fatally Struck While Cycling
'Possibly the most cruel irony there is'
- Dave Salovesh was a longtime advocate for bike safety—and in what his best friend calls "possibly the most cruel irony there is," he was killed while cycling in Washington, DC, Friday morning. Police say a man driving a stolen van lost control of the vehicle and crashed...
Suicide: 'If I Am
Not an Athlete,
I Am Nothing'
in case you missed it
Apr 13, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Days Before Suicide: 'If I Am Not an Athlete, I Am Nothing'
Kelly Catlin was 'obsessed with success': 'NYT'
- A Stanford graduate student with an Olympic silver medal under her belt, Kelly Catlin was bound for "something great." Or so her mother thought. Poised for a shot at gold with the US women's cycling team at the 2020 Olympics, Catlin felt differently. In a January email—...
US Olympic Cyclist
Dies by Suicide
Mar 11, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
US Olympic Cyclist Dies by Suicide
Kelly Catlin was 23
- USA Cycling says it has suffered a "devastating loss" with the death of Kelly Catlin, a track cyclist who helped the women's pursuit team win silver at the 2016 Rio Games. Relatives say the 23-year-old died by suicide at her Stanford University campus residence Friday night, Reuters reports....
Lead Female Cyclist
Nearly Catches Men,
Forcing Race to Pause
Mar 4, 2019 5:00 PM CST
Lead Female Cyclist Nearly Catches Men, Forcing Race to Pause
But after race was restarted, she ended up in 74th place
- A women's cycling race in Belgium started 10 minutes after the men's race, but apparently there should have been an even bigger gap: As Swiss cyclist Nicole Hanselmann of the Bigla Pro team nearly caught up with the men, event organizers decided to pause the women's race...
Cyclist Calls Loss to
Transgender Rival 'Not Fair'
Oct 21, 2018 2:15 PM CDT
Cyclist Calls Loss to Transgender Rival 'Not Fair'
Canadian competitor Rachel McKinnon became the first trans woman world champion
- An American woman has cried foul after losing out in the Masters Track Cycling World Championships to a transgender rival from Canada. The controversy began after Rachel McKinnon won gold this month, edging out competitors including bronze finisher Jennifer Wagner. When a conservative media UK media personality expressed outrage over...
Lance Armstrong Settles
$100M Lawsuit for Far Less
Apr 20, 2018 2:11 AM CDT
Lance Armstrong Settles $100M Lawsuit for Far Less
He also has to pay legal costs of Floyd Landis
- Lance Armstrong has put his last legal action behind him, settling the federal government's $100 million lawsuit for $5 million. The government had been seeking damages under the False Claims Act because the disgraced cyclist used performance-enhancing drugs while his team was sponsored by the US Postal Service, CNN...
23-Year-Old Elite Cyclist
Crashes, Dies of Cardiac Arrest
Apr 9, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
23-Year-Old Elite Cyclist Crashes, Dies of Cardiac Arrest
Belgian Michael Goolaerts crashed just before the mid-way point of the Paris-Roubaix race
- By NPR's count, Sunday brought the fifth death of an elite cyclist, the oldest of whom was just 25, since 2016. Belgian Michael Goolaerts crashed just before the midway point of the Paris-Roubaix race and died Sunday night of cardiac arrest, said his team, Veranda's Willems-Crelan. He was...
Why This Man's Legs
Are Freaking Folks
Out on Instagram
Jul 19, 2017 9:29 AM CDT
Why This Man's Legs Are Freaking Folks Out on Instagram
Pawel Poljanski shows what the grueling Tour de France can do
- Just how onerous is it to cycle 2,200 miles in 23 days with just two days off? A "freaky" photo leaves no doubt, per Mashable . Sixteen stages into the Tour de France, 27-year-old Polish rider Pawel Poljanski posted a photo to Instagram showing what he says are his...
Cyclist Tried Poop Doping,
and It May Have Worked
Jun 22, 2017 8:30 AM CDT
Cyclist Tried Poop Doping, and It May Have Worked
Biologist says transplant boosted race times
- It probably won't ever become the focus of a hit sports movie—not even if they call it
—but "poop doping" is a real thing and could possibly give competitive cyclists an edge. That's according to microbiologist and mountain biker Lauren Petersen, who tells
'Impatient' Driver Hits
Tour de France Champ
May 9, 2017 7:41 AM CDT
'Impatient' Driver Hits Tour de France Champ
Chris Froome uninjured in Tuesday crash
- Chris Froome will be aiming for his fourth Tour de France victory—and his third in a row —when the famous race kicks off in July. But he was almost pushed to the sidelines. The British cyclist, currently one of the best in the world, says a motorist deliberately...
Hit by Van, Killed
Apr 22, 2017 7:39 AM CDT
Cycling Champ Hit by Van, Killed
Michele Scarponi won the Giro d'Italia in 2011
- Michele Scarponi, who won the Giro d'Italia in 2011, died after a collision with a van while training on Saturday. He was 37. Scarponi was training near his home of Filottrano, near Ancona, Italy when he was hit by a van at a crossroads, Team Astana said. According to...
in 1911 Sets
Jan 5, 2017 5:03 AM CST
Cyclist Born in 1911 Sets World Record
105-year-old Robert Marchand is an old hand at records, says he 'could have done better'
- A French cyclist has set a new record for riding 14 miles in one hour. If that doesn't sound so remarkable—the world record is 33.8 miles—consider the category in which Robert Marchand was competing: over 105. The retired firefighter did it the first time riding in...
Iranian Cyclist Killed
in Paralympics Crash
Sep 18, 2016 5:51 AM CDT
Iranian Cyclist Killed in Paralympics Crash
Bahman Golbarnezhad believed to be first athlete killed in Paralympics
- An Iranian cyclist died after crashing in a road race at the Rio de Janeiro Paralympics on Saturday. Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48, received emergency treatment on the course and was transported to a Rio hospital where he died, reports the AP . "This is truly heart-breaking news, and the thoughts and...
3rd Tour Win
Jul 24, 2016 12:54 PM CDT
Froome Toasts 3rd Tour Win With Beer, Then Bubbly
Briton wins cycling's elite race again
- Sharing beer and Champagne with teammates, Chris Froome celebrated his third Tour de France title in four years on Sunday, reports the AP . The Kenyan-born British rider finished safely at the back of the main pack during the final stage, arm-in-arm with his teammates during the mostly ceremonial final stage...
After Tour de
Jul 14, 2016 2:20 PM CDT
Cyclist Turns Into Runner After Tour de France Crash
'I just started running,' says Tour leader Chris Froome
- Here's something you don't see everyday: the reigning Tour de France winner ditching his bike and attempting to continue the race on foot. The
reports Chris Froome's bicycle was damaged in a crash on Mount Ventoux Thursday, forcing him to hoof it up the hill until...
Quits Tour de France
Jul 10, 2016 9:41 AM CDT
Struggling Contador Quits Tour de France
Spaniard drops out of race that made him famous, citing fever
- Diminished by a fever and still reeling from crashes on the opening two days of the race, two-time champion Alberto Contador pulled out of the Tour de France during the toughest Pyrenean stage on Sunday, reports the AP . Slightly more than 60 miles from the end of Stage 9 from...
Jun 2, 2016 12:59 PM CDT
Zika Fears Sideline US Cyclist With Pregnant Wife
Tejay van Garderen won't compete at Rio Olympics
- American cyclist Tejay van Garderen has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Rio Olympics amid concerns that he may contract the Zika virus and pass it along to his pregnant wife, reports the AP . He is believed to be the first athlete to back out of the Summer Olympics...
Hidden Motor Found
in Pro Cyclist's Bike
Feb 1, 2016 11:21 AM CST
Hidden Motor Found in Pro Cyclist's Bike
It's an embarrassing first for the sport
- If you're going to cheat in cycling, there's the tried-and-true Lance Armstrong method . Or you can just try to hide a motor in the bike. Yes, the world of professional cycling has uncovered its first case of "motorized doping" in a major competition, reports the
Man Biking Across US for Charity Killed in Crash
Jul 31, 2015 9:01 AM CDT
Man Biking Across US for Charity Killed in Crash
Sarah Morris was allegedly looking at her phone when she hit Patrick Wanninkhof
- On Sunday, Patrick Wanninkhof led a 26-person team that spent the day working for Habitat for Humanity. The 25-year-old was doing such charity work as part of Bike & Build, a group that bikes from coast to coast to raise funds for affordable housing. Yesterday, while cycling through Oklahoma, the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.