Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
mergers and acquisitions
Stories 1 - 20 |
An Iconic Snack-Maker Sells
Sep 11, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
An Iconic Snack-Maker Sells
JM Smucker picks up a new acquisition, Twinkies maker Hostess, for $5.6B
- Hostess, the maker of snack classics like Twinkies and HoHos, is being sold to JM Smucker in a deal worth about $5.6 billion, reports the AP . Smucker, which makes everything from coffee to peanut butter and jelly, will pay $34.25 per share in cash and stock, and it...
After 58 Years,
Aug 25, 2023 4:30 AM CDT
After 58 Years, Founding Families Sell Subway
Chain is being sold to private equity firm Roark Capital
- Subway said Thursday it will be sold to Roark Capital, a private equity firm with expertise in restaurant management that could help the sandwich chain expand and improve its stores. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed. Earlier this week, the
Wall Street Journal
reported that Atlanta-based Roark was offering...
Just Made a Big Buy
Aug 8, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Campbell Soup Just Made a Big Buy
Venerated soup-maker is picking up Sovos, the maker of Rao's pasta sauces, for $2.7B
- Campbell Soup is set to buy Sovos Brands, the maker of Rao's pasta sauces. The two companies said in an announcement that they had entered an agreement for Campbell to acquire Sovos for $23 per share in cash—reflecting a total value of about $2.7 billion, the AP...
Microsoft's $69B Activision
Deal Gets a Breather
Jul 19, 2023 10:04 AM CDT
Microsoft's $69B Activision Deal Gets a Breather
Deadline to close acquisition with game maker is extended until Oct. 18
- The deadline for Microsoft's $69 billion acquisition of video game company Activision Blizzard has been extended as the companies seek to close a deal that has been vexed by US regulators, as well as by UK's Competition and Markets Authority. Microsoft believes that pushing back the deadline to...
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt
$69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
Jul 11, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt $69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
With clock ticking to get the deal closed, court hands Microsoft a major victory
- A federal judge has handed Microsoft a major victory by declining to block its looming $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard. US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley said in a ruling that the Federal Trade Commission "has not shown a likelihood it will prevail on its...
Jul 5, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Rival's Parent Swoops In to Save Jenny Craig
Nutrisystem owner Wellful has acquired bankrupt company, will rebrand it
- Just a couple of months ago, it seemed like the death knell had sounded for Jenny Craig, the weight loss giant that declared bankruptcy and announced it was shuttering after four decades in the industry. But in recent weeks, the Jenny Craig website shared some "big news," just...
PGA Chief's About-Face
Came in Secret Meeting
Jun 7, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
PGA Chief's About-Face Came in Secret Meeting
Jay Monahan once reviled the Saudi LIV tour, but he then agreed to a stunning merger
- A lot of words are being thrown around to describe what happened in the world of golf on Tuesday: Shocking, stunning, hypocritical (from the critics), to name a few. One thing clear, though, is that "Tuesday was unlike any other [day] in golf history," writes Brendan Quinn at...
'Stunning' Merger Pairs
PGA With Saudi's LIV Tour
Jun 6, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
'Stunning' Merger Pairs PGA With Saudi's LIV Tour
Agreement appears to end an acrimonious year in world of pro golf
- The most disruptive year in golf ended Tuesday when the PGA Tour and European Tour agreed to a merger with Saudi Arabia's golf interests, creating a commercial operation designed to unify professional golf around the world, per the AP . As part of the deal, the sides are dropping all...
Meta Unloads Giphy,
Is Out Hundreds of Millions
May 24, 2023 6:47 AM CDT
Meta Unloads Giphy, Is Out Hundreds of Millions
Facebook parent sells GIF search engine to Shutterstock for $53M after UK regulators' decision
- In 2020, Meta scooped up Giphy, a GIF search engine used by Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and other platforms, for $400 million. On Tuesday, Facebook's parent company announced it had sold the product to stock image service Shutterstock for a mere $53 million—effectively taking a nearly $350 million loss....
UK Just Nixed the Biggest
Tech Deal in History
Apr 26, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
UK Just Nixed the Biggest Tech Deal in History
Microsoft's $69B attempt to buy video game maker Activision scuttled over fears of stifling competition
- British regulators have blocked Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard over worries that it would stifle competition in the cloud gaming market. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report Wednesday that "the only effective remedy" to the significant...
Goodbye, Twitter Inc.
Hello, X Corp.
Apr 11, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Goodbye, Twitter Inc. Hello, X Corp.
Parent company of social media platform has been absorbed by new Elon Musk firm, per court filing
- Twitter the social media platform is still up and running ( last we checked , anyway), but Twitter Inc. the parent company is no more. That's per a court filing from last week that indicates the company has been absorbed into Elon Musk's X Corp., with the news pointed...
Pfizer Buys 'Goose That Is
Laying the Golden Eggs'
Mar 14, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Pfizer Buys 'Goose That Is Laying the Golden Eggs'
It will acquire cancer biotech firm Seagen, which specializes in ADC treatments, for $43M
- It's not Pfizer's priciest acquisition by a long shot , but the numbers are staggering anyway: The pharma giant will pay $43 billion in cash for Seagen, a cancer biotech company that has yet to be profitable. What you need to know:
What Seagen does.
The Washington-based company uses
DOJ on JetBlue-Spirit
Mar 7, 2023 11:33 AM CST
DOJ on JetBlue-Spirit Deal: Nope
Biden administration sues to halt sale of Spirit, thinks it would drive prices up
- The Biden administration sued on Tuesday to block JetBlue Airways' $3.8 billion purchase of Spirit Airlines, saying the deal would reduce competition and drive up air fares. The Justice Department said the tie-up would especially hurt cost-conscious travelers who depend on Spirit to find cheaper options than they can...
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe
to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Aug 5, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Retail giant gets into the robot vacuum business
- You'll soon have one more thing to be forced to thank Amazon for: a cleaner home. That's because the retail giant is set to buy iRobot Corp., the company that makes Roomba vacuum cleaners, as well as other robotic tidying-up products like mops and lawn mowers. CNBC reports...
Budget Airline Merger Could
Create 5th-Largest US Carrier
Feb 7, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Budget Airline Merger Could Create 5th-Largest US Carrier
Frontier has offered $3B to scoop up Spirit Airlines
- Frontier is offering to buy Spirit Airlines in a $2.9 billion cash-and-stock deal that will create the nation's fifth largest carrier. The tie-up is valued at $6.6 billion when accounting for the assumption of debt and other liabilities. The companies said Monday that the transaction will provide...
Jan 6, 2022 6:20 PM CST
Paying $550M for
Sports site brings 1.2M new owner subscribers
- The Athletic, which has been looking for a buyer for months, has found one. The New York Times announced Thursday that it's reached an agreement to acquire the subscription-based sports media outlet in an all-cash deal worth $550 million, Axios reports. The
said its new subsidiary will operate...
Regulators Might Block
Amazon's MGM Buy
May 26, 2021 2:45 PM CDT
Regulators Might Block Amazon's MGM Buy
Company's size could make acquisition a 'red flag' for antitrust officials
- Amazon announced Wednesday that it has reached an $8.45 billion deal to acquire MGM Studios—but before the online giant can declare itself the owner of the James Bond franchise and the rest of MGM's enormous library, antitrust regulators will need to give the deal the green light....
Amazon Makes Its
May 26, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Amazon Makes Its 2nd-Largest Acquisition
It will buy MGM Studios for $8.45B in deal announced Wednesday
- Amazon has made "its boldest move yet into the entertainment industry" with its planned acquisition of movie and TV giant MGM Studios, per CNBC . The company announced Wednesday that it would buy the studio for $8.45 billion, thereby adding MGM's 4,000 films —including the
AT&T Joins With Discovery
to Create New Media Titan
May 17, 2021 6:57 AM CDT
AT&T Joins With Discovery to Create New Media Titan
New TV, film, and streaming company will compete against Netflix, Disney
- AT&T will combine its massive media operations that include CNN, HBO, TNT, and TBS in a $43 billion deal with Discovery, the owner of lifestyle networks including the Food Network and HGTV. The deal reflects a new reality for the industry: Faced with cord-cutting and incursions by streaming services,...
For 2 Internet Giants of Old,
Another Change of Hands
May 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
For 2 Internet Giants of Old, Another Change of Hands
Verizon sells Yahoo and AOL
- AOL and Yahoo are being sold again, this time to a private equity firm. Verizon will sell Verizon Media, which consists of the pioneering tech platforms, to Apollo Global Management in a $5 billion deal, per the AP . Verizon said Monday that it will keep a 10% stake in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.