Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
More Pregnant, Postpartum
Women Dying of Overdoses
Nov 24, 2023 10:10 AM CST
More Pregnant, Postpartum Women Dying of Overdoses
Study finds ratio jumped between 2018 and 2021
- A January study found mortality rates for pregnant women and new mothers worsened during the pandemic, and a new study zeroes in on one such cause: overdoses. Researchers with the National Institute on Drug Abuse reviewed data on more than 17,000 deaths over the 2018 to 2021 period; STAT...
Woman With a Rare Anomaly
Has an Even Rarer Pregnancy
Nov 13, 2023 8:40 AM CST
Woman With a Rare Anomaly Has an Even Rarer Pregnancy
Alabama's Kelsey Hatcher has a double uterus, and she now has a twin gestating in each one
- Kelsey Hatcher is set to receive quite the Christmas gift this year: Dec. 25 is the due date for her twin girls, which will give her and her husband, Caleb, a total of five children ages 7 and under. But while finding out they had two little ones on the...
This State Will
Shutter 3 Maternity
Wards. It's Not Alone
Oct 19, 2023 8:11 AM CDT
This State Will Shutter 3 Maternity Wards. It's Not Alone
'Maternity care deserts' are increasing in Alabama, and elsewhere, leaving pregnant women at risk
- In Alabama, three hospitals are about to cease delivering babies, leaving pregnant patients with no birthing hospitals in Shelby and Monroe counties, and a drive of up to 100 miles for some to get to a labor and delivery unit. That's not even that unusual in the Yellowhammer State,...
There's a Rising
Crisis in Giving
Birth in Rural US
Sep 18, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
There's a Rising Crisis in Giving Birth in Rural US
Many maternity centers are closing, leading women to have to travel or depend on alternatives
- A growing number of rural hospitals have shuttered their delivery units, forcing pregnant women to travel for care or face giving birth in an emergency room, reports the AP . Fewer than half of rural hospitals now have maternity units, prompting government officials and families to scramble. One solution gaining ground...
Golfer Will Play
US Women's Open
30 Weeks Pregnant
Jul 3, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Golfer Will Play US Women's Open 30 Weeks Pregnant
It will be Amy Olson's last golf tournament before giving birth
- LPGA golfer Amy Olson will play in the US Women's Open this weekend while seven months pregnant—and it's not even her first time playing in a women's golf major while pregnant. She qualified for the US Women's Open during an event in Minnesota in May...
Drops Big News at
Jun 17, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Kourtney Kardashian Drops Big News at Husband's Concert
TV personality held up sign for Travis Barker at Blink-182 concert that said 'Travis I'm pregnant'
- Kourtney Kardashian is with child. The 44-year-old TV personality broke the news to her husband, Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker, on Friday night, and in the most public way—at one of his band's concerts. The group was playing at Los Angeles' BMO Stadium, and Kardashian was in the audience...
Too Bad to Be
True. It Was
Mar 9, 2023 9:01 AM CST
Nick Cannon's Show Seemed Too Bad to Be True. It Was
'Who's Having My Baby' promo with Kevin Hart was just a stunt for their new 'Celebrity Prank Wars'
- In a world where Reality TV Land includes shows featuring the "best funeral ever," Vanilla Ice becoming temporarily Amish, and a group of women who've convinced themselves they're vying for the hand of Prince Harry (it was an obvious lookalike), a series dedicated to prolific dad...
FDA Finally Gets Its Way
on Drug It Wanted Pulled
Mar 8, 2023 10:25 AM CST
FDA Finally Gets Its Way on Drug It Wanted Pulled
Covis, maker of Makena, will voluntarily remove its preterm birth drug from the US market
- The number of drugs available to US women who've had a spontaneous preterm birth and are trying to prevent another once again stands at zero. Makena had been the sole drug on the market and was used by about 350,000 women over the last 10 years, but maker...
Ed Sheeran on His 2022:
'I Felt Like I Was Drowning'
Mar 1, 2023 7:24 AM CST
Ed Sheeran on His 2022: 'I Felt Like I Was Drowning'
Singer notes his 'deepest, darkest thoughts' after wife's pregnancy tumor, death of best friend
- In January, Ed Sheeran took to Instagram to explain he hadn't been on social media much for the "past couple of years" due to "turbulent things ... happening in my personal life." He didn't elaborate at the time, but now, ahead of the May release of...
Pregnant Women, New Mothers
Died More Often in Pandemic
Jan 29, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Pregnant Women, New Mothers Died More Often in Pandemic
By far, the groups most at risk are Native American and Black women, research shows
- Mortality rates for pregnant women and new mothers, already higher in the US than in many other nations, worsened during the pandemic. Much of the increase can be attributed to causes other than difficulties during pregnancy, including drug overdoses, homicides, and car accidents, research shows. The study was published Friday...
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant
Inmates Into Early Labor
Jan 5, 2023 9:15 AM CST
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant Inmates Into Early Labor
3 prisoners at Arizona's Perryville facility claim that forced inductions are prison policy
- Three female inmates have lobbed an eyebrow-raising accusation against the Arizona prison where they're incarcerated. The three women say that when they were pregnant at the Perryville facility outside of Phoenix, they had labor induced against their will, and medical records seen by the
confirm that all...
There Are Unused Ways to
Get Answers After Stillbirths
Dec 4, 2022 10:45 AM CST
There Are Unused Ways to Get Answers After Stillbirths
In 2020, autopsies only happened 20% of the time
- Each year, some 20,000 pregnancies in the US end in stillbirth. In a lengthy piece for ProPublica , Duaa Eldeib explains that we have tools that can offer grieving would-be parents answers in many of those cases—but those tools are underutilized. Eldeib cites stats that show placental exams can...
Couple Specifically Requested
Embryos Frozen the Longest
Nov 22, 2022 2:13 PM CST
Couple Specifically Requested Embryos Frozen the Longest
The births of Lydia Ann and Timothy Ronald are thought to have set a record
- The embryos were frozen on April 22, 1992. On Halloween this year, Rachel Ridgeway gave birth to twins born from those embryos, in what is thought to be a record for the longest-frozen embryos to result in a live birth. The record had been creeping toward the 30-year mark, with...
Soap Star Leaves Pregnant
Wife, but There's Backstory
May 5, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
Soap Star Leaves Pregnant Wife, but There's Backstory
'The child is not mine,' notes Steve Burton, former 'General Hospital' star who's already a dad of 3
- Usually a guy ditching his wife when she's pregnant elicits scorn for such abandonment. This week, however, a brief but revelatory message from former
star Steve Burton, whose wife Sheree Gustin is expecting, takes some of the heat off him regarding their split. "I wanted to...
A 'Striking' COVID Finding
Related to Pregnancy
Apr 1, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
A 'Striking' COVID Finding Related to Pregnancy
Pregnant people at higher risk of breakthrough COVID than organ transplant recipients
- Pregnant people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 have a higher risk of breakthrough infection than vaccinated organ transplant recipients and those with weakened immune systems, new research suggests. It's a "striking" finding as the immunocompromised have taken precedence in the rollout of a fourth vaccine shot, reports...
Her Pregnancy. Then,
Feb 18, 2022 8:10 AM CST
She Announced Her Pregnancy. Then, 'Something Baffling'
Ga. government worker indicted after allegedly faking she was with child for paid leave
- It seems it would be an elaborate scheme to fake one pregnancy, let alone several. But that's exactly what a government worker in Georgia is accused of doing, allegedly to secure paid time off. A release out of the state's Office of the Inspector General says 43-year-old Robin...
Kylie Jenner Said to Be 'Beyond
Excited' About Her Latest News
Feb 7, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Kylie Jenner Said to Be 'Beyond Excited' About Her Latest News
Jenner's second child with Travis Scott is here
Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott welcomed their second child Wednesday, with Jenner on Sunday posting an Instagram photo of a newborn's hand captioned "2/2/22." A source confirms to
the baby is a boy. Jenner and Scott's daughter Stormi turned 4 the day before her...
Rihanna, A$AP Rocky Appear
to Have Some Big News
Jan 31, 2022 12:02 PM CST
Rihanna, A$AP Rocky Appear to Have Some Big News
Looks like Rihanna, 33, and the rapper are expecting their first child, based on her bump
- Rihanna and her boyfriend, A$AP Rocky, certainly made a splash in Harlem over the weekend, with some apparent big news. Per BuzzFeed and TMZ , the 33-year-old "Diamonds" and "Umbrella" singer stepped out for a photo shoot in A$AP Rocky's hometown, with Rihanna decked out in long ripped...
Cops: Man Killed Girlfriend
a Day After Her Ultrasound
Nov 23, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Cops: Man Killed Girlfriend a Day After Her Ultrasound
Kwanmaine Boyd reportedly said 'he did not want any more children'
- A Texas man is charged with killing his girlfriend one day after an ultrasound confirmed she was pregnant. Cavanna Smith, a 25-year-old teacher, was found to be about four and a half weeks pregnant at an Oct. 5 ultrasound appointment, which her sister, Brittany Wilson, attended. Smith was nervous and...
Pregnant Patients with COVID
Face Risk of Stillbirth, Death
Nov 20, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Pregnant Patients with COVID Face Risk of Stillbirth, Death
Delta variant made things much more grim
- Pregnancy puts patients at greater risk of dying of COVID, a new study shows. The death rate for the virus during pregnancy is three times greater than it would be otherwise, and the risk goes up for patients with the delta variant, per CBS News . The study used data from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.