Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Officials: UFO Sightings
Are 'Frequent and Continuing'
May 17, 2022 11:51 AM CDT
Officials: UFO Sightings Are 'Frequent and Continuing'
Testimony comes amid Congress' first public hearing on UFOs in 50 years
- UFO enthusiasts are hoping government officials will be more forthcoming about flying saucers than in days of old as Congress convenes its first hearing on UFOs in 50 years Tuesday. Two top military officials tasked with investigating UFOs—which the government now refer to as Unexplained Aerial Phenomena (UAPs)—are...
Pentagon Group to
'Mitigate' UFO Threats
Nov 25, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Pentagon Group to 'Mitigate' UFO Threats
Critic argues investigative body will only 'maintain UAP/UFO secrecy'
- There's a new team of experts patrolling the skies for UFOs. The Pentagon on Tuesday announced the creation of a new body to investigate unidentified flying objects, now labeled "unidentified aerial phenomena," after a federal government report published in June failed to explain 143 of 144 sightings...
UFO Report Is In: Government
Can't Explain What's Out There
Jun 25, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
UFO Report Is In: Government Can't Explain What's Out There
Pentagon will step up its data collection on sightings
- The federal government released its anticipated report on UFOs on Friday, confirming that more than 100 of them remain unidentified. After reviewing reports of sightings since 2004, the government can't say whether they can be explained by atmospheric visual tricks or extraterrestrial life, or neither, the
May Have Added to UFO Fever
Jun 24, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Government Deflection May Have Added to UFO Fever
Pentagon sometimes hid secret programs behind public reports of sightings
- At the height of the Cold War, the Pentagon and CIA were more than happy to let the public think unusual sights in the sky were caused by natural phenomena, not by secret aircraft they were developing. The possibility of aliens landing in the desert West also worked, the
Sources Share What
They Know About
Coming UFO Report
Jun 4, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
Sources Share What They Know About Coming UFO Report
It reportedly reaches few firm conclusions about mysterious objects
- A government report on UFOs says officials have found no evidence of visitors from outer space, though most of the mysterious flying objects seen by Navy pilots remain unidentified, insiders say. Sources tell the
New York Times
that the classified report reaches few firm conclusions, but states that investigators have...
Just the Start
May 31, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Harry Reid's Secret UFO Jaunts Were Just the Start
Politico unpacks how ex-senator, Blink-182 founder brought a taboo topic into mainstream DC politics
- A government analysis on UFOs is due out next month from US intel agencies and the Defense Department, the first time in more than a half-century that the executive branch will release a public accounting of the once-taboo topic—and much of the thanks for that can be traced back...
Pentagon Is Preparing
Declassified UFO Report
May 17, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Pentagon Is Preparing Declassified UFO Report
COVID relief bill contained June deadline
- UFOs are definitely real, according to numerous military pilots who have seen flying objects they couldn't identify—and as a strange side effect of the COVID crisis, we may soon learn more about how much the military knows. The Trump administration's $2.3 trillion COVID relief bill in...
Apr 11, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Reported UFO Sightings Jump During Pandemic
Anticipation of government revelations could be a reason
- "With the COVID thing, more people are looking up," said Chris DePerno, a retired police detective. And what they're seeing more often are UFOs. Reported sightings rose nationally last year to more than 7,200, up 1,000 from 2019. In New York state, where DePerno works...
Pentagon's UFO Team to
Make Some Findings Public
Jul 24, 2020 9:58 AM CDT
Pentagon's UFO Team to Make Some Findings Public
The main goal is to see if rival nations are using advanced aircraft
- The Pentagon caused a fuss earlier this year when it declassified videos of UFOs. Alas, an unidentified flying object is just that—something pilots couldn't identify, and not necessarily an alien spaceship. But there's been a rising call for more transparency on the subject, including from such heavyweights...
Videos of UFOs
Apr 28, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
Pentagon Releases Videos of UFOs
Objects in widely-seen footage from 2004, 2015 remain unidentified
- The Pentagon has formally released three videos of UFOs taken by Navy pilots which circulated for years following "unauthorized releases." The footage "does not impinge on any subsequent investigations of military air space incursions by unidentified aerial phenomena" and was therefore released "in order to clear...
'Mystery Men' Took Our
UFO Data: Navy Veterans
Nov 16, 2019 11:50 AM CST
'Mystery Men' Took Our UFO Data: Navy Veterans
5 veterans tell their version of a UFO sighting
- The Navy already admits to seeing "unidentified aerial phenomena." Now five Navy veterans are adding to the story with details about longer video footage and two mysterious visitors, Fox News reports. In a private group chat with
, the veterans tell their version of what happened on...
Dozens Show Up
at Area 51 Gate
Sep 20, 2019 11:49 AM CDT
Dozens Show Up at Area 51 Gate
No mass storming takes place, but one person is arrested for urinating near the gate
- About 75 people arrived early Friday at a gate at the once-secret Area 51 military base in Nevada—at the time appointed by an internet hoaxster to "storm" the facility to see space aliens—and one person was arrested, authorities said. The "Storm Area 51" invitation spawned festivals...
US Navy Confirms UFO Videos
Sep 19, 2019 1:59 AM CDT
US Navy Confirms UFO Videos
But the Navy doesn't like saying 'UFOs'
- The Navy isn't hiding it: Those purported UFO videos seen in recent years really do show unidentified flying objects, the
reports. "The Navy designates the objects contained in these videos as unidentified aerial phenomena," Navy spokesman Joseph Gradisher told the Black Vault blog last week...
3 Senators Just
Got Briefed on UFOs
Jun 20, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
3 Senators Just Got Briefed on UFOs
The classified Pentagon briefing happened Wednesday
- The list of lawmakers who have received briefings on Navy encounters with UFOs has gotten a bit longer. The vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Mark Warner, was among three senators to receive a classified Pentagon briefing on the issue Wednesday, reports Politico , which cites "a growing number...
OK, UFOs Exist. Now
We Need to Start
May 29, 2019 4:38 PM CDT
OK, UFOs Exist. Now We Need to Start Considering Aliens
Daniel W. Drezner argues our view may still be too limited
- A decade ago, two scientists published a paper on "the authoritative taboo on taking UFOs seriously." Essentially, Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall put the issue down to a failure to accept a scenario—say, that aliens are visiting us on the regular—that would injure our anthropocentric view....
Near-Constant UFO Sightings
Force New Navy Procedure
May 4, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Near-Constant UFO Sightings Force New Navy Procedure
From now on, pilots will be able to submit UFO data
- Angry pilots have prompted the US Navy to draft new guidelines about UFO sightings—but it seems that information will be kept from the public,
reports. "There have been a number of reports of unauthorized and/or unidentified aircraft entering various military-controlled ranges and designated air spaces in recent...
Pilots Spot UFOs Over Ireland:
'It Was Moving So Fast'
Nov 13, 2018 6:41 AM CST
Pilots Spot UFOs Over Ireland: 'It Was Moving So Fast'
Irish Aviation Authority investigating bright lights seen Friday
- The Irish Aviation Authority is investigating after multiple pilots spotted UFOs traveling faster than the speed of sound over Ireland on Friday. Shortly before 7am local time, a British Airways pilot contacted air traffic controllers at Shannon Airport on Ireland's west coast to ask about possible military exercises, per...
45 Years After Alleged Alien
Abduction, He's Speaking Out
in case you missed it
Aug 18, 2018 8:30 AM CDT
45 Years After Alleged Alien Abduction, He's Speaking Out
Calvin Parker passed a polygraph about the incident he says happened in 1973
- Calvin Parker was looking for fish. He says he instead found aliens—or, rather, aliens found him. The date was Oct. 11, 1973, but Parker has hardly mentioned it in the 45 years since he and 42-year-old Charles Hickson saw a blinding light over Mississippi's Pascagoula River. Hickson, who...
Town Wants UFO
Apr 14, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Town Wants UFO Memorial Moved; Witness Says No Way
Thom Reed is willing to pick a fight
- A memorial in a remote corner of Massachusetts that marks a 1969 UFO sighting has been ordered moved, but one man who experienced a close encounter is objecting, the AP reports. The 5,000-pound memorial in Sheffield was installed in 2015, but was moved about 30 feet a few weeks...
Mar 2, 2018 12:00 PM CST
The Strange Journey of Blink-182's Tom DeLonge
He has become a leading authority on UFOs
- Tom DeLonge believes aliens are real. He also believes, among other things, that the Cold War served to cover up alien life and that the US government has an alien locked up. "It sounds like the ramblings of a very high man," Kelsey McKinney writes at the Fader...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Court in India Sets Free Men Who Raped Woman
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.