Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
The US Sets Its Sights
on a 30-Year-Old bin Laden
Mar 1, 2019 9:03 AM CST
The US Sets Its Sights on a 30-Year-Old bin Laden
State Department will pay up to $1M for info on Osama's son, Hamza bin Laden
- "Submit a tip, get paid," reads the tweet from the State Department's Counter-Terrorism Rewards Program. In this case, the US is looking for a big tip—and offering a handsome reward: The US announced it will pay up to $1 million for information leading to Hamza bin...
Trump Confirms: USS Cole
Mastermind Is Dead
Jan 6, 2019 10:27 AM CST
Trump Confirms: USS Cole Mastermind Is Dead
Tweets salute to 'GREAT MILITARY' who took out Jamal al-Badawi in Yemen strike
- President Trump is confirming reports that the US has killed the mastermind behind the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole, reports Fox News . "Our GREAT MILITARY has delivered justice for the heroes lost and wounded in the cowardly attack on the USS Cole," tweeted the president on Sunday....
America Gets Vengeance for
USS Cole Bombing: Official
Jan 5, 2019 12:26 PM CST
America Gets Vengeance for USS Cole Bombing: Official
Seems Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi was killed
- The mastermind behind the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole is apparently dead. A US administration official tells CNN that an American airstrike in Yemen on Tuesday killed al-Qaeda commander Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi, CNN reports. Officially, US Central Command says Al-Badawi was targeted in "precision strike" but...
Army Chief: There's a Threat
Far Worse Than Islamic Terror
Nov 24, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Army Chief: There's a Threat Far Worse Than Islamic Terror
British General Mark Carleton-Smith points to the east
- A British general is warning his country and the West about Russia—a threat he calls worse than anything posed by ISIS or al-Qaeda, the BBC reports. "The Russians seek to exploit vulnerability and weakness wherever they detect it," General Mark Carleton-Smith tells the
. "Russia today...
Journo Held Captive for 3 Years
in Syria: 'Now I Am in Turkey'
Oct 24, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
Journo Held Captive for 3 Years in Syria: 'Now I Am in Turkey'
Jumpei Yasuda, abducted in 2015 by Nusra Front, is now safe
- A Japanese freelance journalist who was freed after more than three years of captivity in Syria said Wednesday he's safe in neighboring Turkey. "My name is Jumpei Yasuda, Japanese journalist. I have been held in Syria for 40 months," Yasuda said, somewhat haltingly in English, in videotaped...
He Wanted Revenge for
Brother's 9/11 Death,
Found Something Else
Sep 11, 2018 12:20 PM CDT
He Wanted Revenge for Brother's 9/11 Death, Found Something Else
It's been 17 years to the day
- As the US remembers the 9/11 attacks that took place 17 years ago, the
Louisville Courier Journal
relays the remarkable story of a young girl's note to those helping in the aftermath. Emily Ernspiker, then a 7-year-old in Kentucky, donated a pair of work gloves that made their way...
Man Behind 2009 Underwear
Bomb Plot May Be Dead
Aug 16, 2018 4:46 PM CDT
Man Behind 2009 Underwear Bomb Plot May Be Dead
Ibrahim al-Asiri may have been killed last year
- One of al-Qaeda's master bombmakers may have been killed in Yemen last year, according to a UN report . If Ibrahim al-Asiri—who was believed to have been involved in an unsuccessful 2009 plot to blow up an aircraft over Detroit on Christmas Day with an underwear bomb —is...
'Day of Rage'
Dec 8, 2017 10:10 AM CST
Jerusalem Decision Triggers 'Day of Rage'
At least one dead in protests over Trump's decision to recognize city as Israeli capital
- Palestinians angry over President Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital clashed with Israeli troops at 30 locations across the West Bank and Gaza on Friday, resulting in at least one death, reports the AP . One Palestinian was killed in skirmishes between protesters and Israeli troops along the...
3 Green Berets
Killed in Africa Ambush
Oct 5, 2017 12:08 AM CDT
3 Green Berets Killed in Africa Ambush
2 others killed in Niger attack
- US officials say three US Army special operations commandos were killed Wednesday and two others were wounded when they came under fire in southwest Niger. The officials say the two wounded were taken to Niamey, the capital, and are in stable condition, the AP reports. The officials say the commandos,...
Mali Extremists Release
Video of 6 Western Hostages
Jul 3, 2017 12:11 AM CDT
Mali Extremists Release Video of 6 Western Hostages
One of them has been held since 2011
- An al-Qaeda-linked group in Mali has released a proof-of-life video showing six foreign hostages, a group that monitors jihadist communications says, shortly before the French president arrived in the West African country for an anti-terror summit. The recently formed Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen issued the video Saturday on Telegram, the...
Tourist Kidnapped by
al-Qaeda Freed 6 Years Later
Jun 26, 2017 2:48 PM CDT
Tourist Kidnapped by al-Qaeda Freed 6 Years Later
Swede Johan Gustafsson had been held in Mali
- A Swedish man kidnapped by Islamic militants in northern Mali nearly six years ago has been released from captivity, the Swedish government confirmed Monday. There was no immediate word on the fate of a second hostage, from South Africa, who was also seized in Timbuktu. Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom...
Report Finds Extreme Torture
in Yemen Prisons
Jun 22, 2017 12:57 PM CDT
Report Finds Extreme Torture in Yemen Prisons
Americans involved in interrogations but deny abuses in AP investigation
- Hundreds of men swept up in the hunt for al-Qaeda militants have disappeared into a secret network of prisons in southern Yemen where abuse is routine and torture extreme—including the "grill," in which the victim is tied to a spit like a roast and spun in a...
FBI Investigator: 'We're Not
Done With the bin Ladens Yet'
May 15, 2017 7:37 AM CDT
FBI Investigator: 'We're Not Done With the bin Ladens Yet'
Hamza bin Laden appears ready to pick up the mantle
- "I think we're not done with the bin Ladens yet." That's the conclusion of Ali Soufan in a
interview focusing on the trove of documents taken from Osama bin Laden's compound upon his death. Soufan—the FBI's chief al-Qaeda investigator in the...
Mar 21, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
9/11 Lawsuit Filed Against 'Duplicitous' Saudis
Complaint represents families, estates of 800 or so victims
- A lawsuit representing the families and estates of about 800 victims of 9/11 has been filed in Manhattan federal court, with the Saudi Arabian government in its sights, WPIX and NBC News report. Of the 19 plane hijackers that day, 15 were Saudi nationals, and three of those reportedly had...
Man Who 'Made Terrorism His
Life Story' Found Guilty in Court
Mar 17, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
Man Who 'Made Terrorism His Life Story' Found Guilty in Court
Al-Qaeda fighter took part in firefight that killed 2 Americans
- An admitted al-Qaeda fighter was convicted on Thursday of federal terrorism charges for participating in a fierce firefight in Afghanistan that left two US servicemen dead. A jury in federal court in Brooklyn deliberated for about two hours Thursday before convicting Ibrahim Suleiman Adnan Adam Harun, the AP reports. "...
'Wait Until You Are in the US,
Then Bring the Plane Down'
Feb 23, 2017 2:53 PM CST
'Wait Until You Are in the US, Then Bring the Plane Down'
Documents obtained by 'NYT' show US-born cleric's mentoring of underwear bomber
- “Wait until you are in the US, then bring the plane down.” Those were the final words of advice from US-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki to underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab before the latter tried to set off a bomb aboard a jet in 2009. The device fizzled and...
Pentagon: Syria Strike Killed
'Legacy' al-Qaeda Fighter
Feb 9, 2017 12:49 AM CST
Pentagon: Syria Strike Killed 'Legacy' al-Qaeda Fighter
11 killed in 2 US strikes, Pentagon says
- The Pentagon says two US airstrikes near Idlib in northwest Syria killed 11 al-Qaeda operatives, including one with ties to Osama bin Laden and other senior al-Qaeda leaders, the AP reports. Spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis said in a statement that a single airstrike on Feb. 3 killed 10 operatives...
Escaped, Is Now
Feb 7, 2017 11:13 AM CST
Target of Yemen Raid Escaped, Is Now Taunting Trump
Qassim al-Rimi calls him a 'fool' in recording
- Military officials who've been trying to justify a Jan. 29 raid that killed a Navy SEAL in Yemen now say the goal was to capture al-Qaeda leader Qassim al-Rimi, who they believe escaped unscathed. They believe this because al-Rimi—considered the third most dangerous terrorist in the world, per...
Pentagon's Public Stats on
US Airstrikes Are Way Off
Feb 6, 2017 11:45 AM CST
Pentagon's Public Stats on US Airstrikes Are Way Off
Likely by thousands—and it's raising questions on transparency, accuracy
- The Pentagon's transparency in its fight against overseas extremists is being questioned after a
investigation revealed perhaps thousands of secret airstrikes in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria were never publicly disclosed. The US Air Force has an open-source database tapped by Congress, analysts, and others to figure out...
Obama Targets Al-Qaeda in
Final Airstrike of Presidency
Jan 21, 2017 10:00 AM CST
Obama Targets Al-Qaeda in Final Airstrike of Presidency
The Pentagon says more than 100 fighters killed
- On Thursday evening, an Air Force B-52 bomber and two armed drones hit an al-Qaeda training camp in Syria with 14 bombs and missiles, killing more than 100 fighters, according to the Pentagon.
reports it was the final known counterterrorism operation carried out by the Obama administration, and...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Vermont Suspect Reportedly Told ATF Agents, 'I've Been Waiting for You'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.