Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Seize Statue at
Sep 1, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
NY Authorities Seize Statue at Cleveland Museum
Ancient statue was allegedly looted from archaeological site in Turkey
- The star attraction of the Cleveland Museum of Art's ancient Roman collection is now in the custody of New York authorities. The New York District Attorney's office says a 6-foot-4 headless bronze statue believed to represent emperor Marcus Aurelius has been "seized in place" under a state...
Aug 16, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Museum Sues Ex-Director Over Fake Basquiats
Orlando Museum of Art says damage from fraud scheme may be irreparable
- The Orlando Museum of Art has admitted its "99-year legacy was shattered" when it was found to be exhibiting fake paintings attributed to Jean-Michel Basquiat. Now it wants justice. In a lawsuit filed Monday, OMA "seeks to hold responsible the people the Museum believes knowingly misrepresented the works'...
Museum for $1.1M
Aug 8, 2023 4:28 PM CDT
Cashier Scammed Museum for $1.1M
Swiss woman had many ways to skim money from ticket sales at art museum
- A woman who worked at Switzerland's most popular art museum appears to have been the Rembrandt of scammers. The 54-year-old was found guilty Friday of stealing more than $1.1 million from the Beyeler Foundation museum near Basel between 2008 and 2019, the
New York Times
reports. Authorities said...
Court Tells Museum to Keep
Disputed van Gogh for Now
Jan 26, 2023 5:50 PM CST
Court Tells Museum to Keep Disputed van Gogh for Now
Brazilian collector says he bought the painting in 2017
- A federal appeals court has ordered a Detroit museum to hold on to an 1888 painting by Vincent van Gogh amid a Brazilian collector's dispute with the museum over ownership of the painting. Wednesday's order from the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati comes days after...
Protesters Who Targeted
Nov 3, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
Protesters Who Targeted Masterpiece Sentenced
Judge did not want to deter others from protesting
The two protesters who targeted an iconic Johannes Vermeer painting last week have been sentenced by a Dutch court. They received sentences of two months behind bars, with one month suspended, the
reports. That was half of what the prosecutor had asked for, but the judge said she...
Van Gogh Self-Portrait
Jul 14, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Museum Uncovers Van Gogh Self-Portrait
X-ray shows the artist on the flip side of Head of a Peasant Woman
- Ownership of Van Gogh's Head of a Peasant Woman comes with a bonus: An X-ray has shown a self-portrait of the artist is on the reverse side of the 1885 canvas. "Such a major discovery happens once, twice in a conservator's lifetime," said Lesley Stevenson, senior...
Man 'Mad at His Girl'
Destroys Ancient Art
Jun 3, 2022 5:10 AM CDT
Man 'Mad at His Girl' Destroys Ancient Art
Police say man smashed his way into Dallas Museum of Art
- Ancient art was destroyed when a man smashed his way into the Dallas Museum of Art Wednesday night, but the devastation may not be as bad as initially feared, authorities say. Museum officials, who initially estimated the damage at $5 million, now say the total could be a "fraction...
Mar 16, 2022 5:09 PM CDT
Art Museum Again Unveils Masterpiece
Large Rubens was kept in former nuclear bomb shelter during Antwerp building's renovation
- Moving a masterpiece is difficult, even more so when it measures 13.5 feet by 22.1 feet and weighs 1,225 pounds. Such is the size of the "Baptism of Christ," by Baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens (1605), the jewel in the crown of the Royal Museum...
French Heir Turns Over
Stolen Art to US Museum
Jun 2, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
French Heir Turns Over Stolen Art to US Museum
Pissarro painting was stolen by Nazis in 1941
- The University of Oklahoma never disputed the fact that a Pissarro painting it's displayed since 2000 was stolen from a Jewish family in France by Nazis during World War II. But when Léone Meyer tracked down
Shepherdess Bringing in Sheep
in 2012, the university wouldn't give the...
A Big First for
May 27, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
A Big First for Paris' Louvre
Laurence des Cars appointed by President Macron as museum's first female president
- It was a phone call Laurence des Cars had long waited for—and when it finally came this week, it was a "joyful and emotional moment." "I will never forget that call," the 54-year-old art historian tells France Inter , via the
, of the correspondence that...
His Music Is Legendary.
But His Art Is 'Rarely Seen'
May 11, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
His Music Is Legendary. But His Art Is 'Rarely Seen'
Largest ever collection of Bob Dylan's artwork to be shown in US
- More than 120 "rarely seen" paintings, drawings, and sculptures by Bob Dylan are to be exhibited in the US for the first time. The artworks, completed over six decades, will be displayed at the Frost Art Museum at Florida International University beginning on Nov. 30, to coincide with Miami...
Months Later, Arrest in
Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Apr 7, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Months Later, Arrest in Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Man accused of stealing two paintings from two different museums in the Netherlands
- More than a year after a Van Gogh was stolen from a shuttered Dutch museum early in the COVID-19 pandemic, an arrest has been made in that case—as well as another art heist that also took place in the Netherlands, at a different museum, months later. A 58-year-old Dutch...
Indianapolis Museum of Art in
Hot Water Over Job Posting
Feb 15, 2021 3:00 AM CST
Indianapolis Museum of Art in Hot Water Over Job Posting
Director apologizes for ad that called for someone to maintain 'white' audience
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art is looking for a new director. And in a regrettable job posting, it said that person would be working to maintain the museum's "traditional, core, white art audience" while also attempting to attract a more diverse audience, the
New York Times
$26M Picasso Torn
in Museum Attack
Dec 31, 2019 10:35 AM CST
$26M Picasso Torn in Museum Attack
20-year-old London man is charged
- A 20-year-old is facing charges after he allegedly attacked a Picasso painting hanging on the wall of London's Tate Modern. Picasso's
Bust of a Woman
, valued at $26.5 million, is being assessed for damage after it was reportedly ripped on Saturday, per the BBC . A museum spokesperson...
Big Move to
Nov 18, 2019 9:25 AM CST
Museum Makes Big Move to Correct 'Centuries of Imbalance'
Baltimore Museum of Art will acquire works from female artists only in 2020
- "This [is] how you raise awareness and shift the identity of an institution. You don't just purchase one painting by a female artist of color and hang it on the wall next to a painting by Mark Rothko. To rectify centuries of imbalance, you have to do something...
Museum, Not Holocaust
Survivor's Kin, to Keep
May 1, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Museum, Not Holocaust Survivor's Kin, to Keep Nazi-Looted Art
Judge rules work by Camille Pissarro to stay in Spanish museum
- A federal judge in Los Angeles ruled Tuesday that a Spanish museum that acquired a priceless, Nazi-looted painting in 1993 is the work's rightful owner, and not the survivors of the Jewish woman who surrendered it 80 years ago to escape the Holocaust. Per the AP , although US District...
Rembrandt Masterpiece to
Get Unusual Restoration
Oct 16, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Rembrandt Masterpiece to Get Unusual Restoration
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum says years-long effort will be public
- Conservators repairing a masterpiece of the Dutch Golden Age will have the added pressure of crowds watching their every move. Beginning in July, Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum will display the restoration of Rembrandt van Rijn's 1642 masterpiece "The Night Watch" from within a specially designed glass chamber in its...
Art Exhibit Made
to Look Like
Aug 21, 2018 7:12 AM CDT
Art Exhibit Made to Look Like 'Endless Chasm' Claims Victim
Luckily, visitor who got too close to Anish Kapoor's 8-foot-deep hole at Portugal museum will be OK
- The "dizzying experience" of peering down into an "endless chasm in space" made a visitor to Portugal's Serralves Museum of Contemporary Art especially woozy, reports Artnet , and now the 60-year-old man is recuperating from his injuries. Last week, the Italian in Porto was checking out Chicago "...
Art Expert Gives
Really Bad News
Apr 28, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
Art Expert Gives Museum Some Really Bad News
The Terrus museum copes with terrible news
- A museum in southern France suffered a terrible blow when experts declared that over half its paintings are forgeries, the BBC reports. The Terrus museum, dedicated to the work of painter Étienne Terrus, apparently knew nothing of the fakes until an art historian informed them. "It's a...
Met's Director Out
Amid Financial Woes
Mar 1, 2017 7:21 AM CST
Met's Director Out Amid Financial Woes
Board members demanded he leave his post: 'NYT'
- Thomas Campbell, the director and CEO of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, resigned after eight years Tuesday "to pursue the next phase of my career," according to a statement. In reality, he appears to have been "forced out," reports the
New York Times
. With the museum...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.