Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NYPD: Woman Spit on Boy
Because He's Jewish
Jan 22, 2022 12:10 PM CST
NYPD: Woman Spit on Boy Because He's Jewish
Christina Darling, 21, accused in anti-Semitic incident outside synagogue
- A New York City woman with the last name of Darling was allegedly anything but to an 8-year-old Jewish boy and his younger siblings who were playing in their neighborhood, CNN reports. Christina Darling, 21, has been arrested in connection with a Jan. 14 incident outside a Brooklyn synagogue. She...
At American Synagogues,
a New Normal Takes Shape
Jan 18, 2022 8:39 AM CST
At American Synagogues, a New Normal Takes Shape
Armed guards, traffic barriers, safety training
- Will there be copycats? That is the "palpable fear" at synagogues around the country after the hostage-taking in Texas over the weekend, an exec with the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York tells the
New York Times
. Mitchell D. Silber adds a jarring observation: “More and more,...
Tech Firm Mogul's Antisemitic
Email: 'Jews Are Behind This'
Jan 5, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Tech Firm Mogul's Antisemitic Email: 'Jews Are Behind This'
Entrata's Dave Bateman resigns from board after tying Jewish people to vaccine conspiracy theory
- "I write this email knowing that many of you will think I'm crazy after reading it." That's how Utah tech entrepreneur and GOP fundraiser Dave Bateman started off his message to state leaders and members of the tech industry on Tuesday, suggesting he had at least...
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry:
'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Nov 16, 2021 11:13 AM CST
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry: 'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Authorities say Franklin Barrett Sechriest, 18, was found with Nazi propaganda
- A Texas teenager set fire to an Austin synagogue before confessing to the act in a journal that included racial slurs, authorities say. Texas State University student Franklin Barrett Sechriest, who resigned as a private in the Texas National Guard earlier this month, was arrested Friday on charges of arson...
Nazi Symbols Appear Outside
Jewish Lawmaker's Office
Nov 16, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Nazi Symbols Appear Outside Jewish Lawmaker's Office
New York protesters were speaking out against vaccine mandates
- Anti-vaccine mandate protesters displayed a swastika and yellow Star of David outside the office of New York state lawmaker Jeffrey Dinowitz, who is Jewish, on Sunday. The protest, organized by Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino, came after Dinowitz, a Democrat representing part of the Bronx, sponsored a bill in October...
Nations, Church Decry Displays
of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Nov 13, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Nations, Church Decry Displays of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Polish nationalists shouted 'Death to Jews' during Independence Day celebrations
- Israeli and Polish government officials on Saturday condemned an antisemitic incident involving Polish nationalists chanting "Death to Jews" on Poland's Independence Day this week. Participants at the gathering also burned a copy of a medieval document that offered Jews protection and rights in Polish lands, the AP reports....
Paris Man Gets Life for
Murder of Holocaust Survivor
Nov 11, 2021 4:57 AM CST
Paris Man Gets Life for Murder of Holocaust Survivor
Mireille Knoll was stabbed 11 times
: A 32-year-old Paris man has been sentenced to life for the horrific murder of a Holocaust survivor in 2018. Yacine Mihoub was convicted of stabbing 85-year-old Jewish woman Mireille Knoll 11 times during what prosecutors said was a botched robbery fueled by anti-Semitism and the belief that she had...
Jewish Man to
Death Is Antisemitic
Oct 13, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Court: Judge Who Sentenced Jewish Man to Death Is Antisemitic
'Texas 7' member Randy Halprin may now get a new trial
- Randy Halprin was six days from execution when an appeals court granted a stay in 2019. Two years later, the 44-year-old is destined for a new trial after a Texas judge determined his 2003 death sentence for capital murder, delivered by former Dallas County District Judge Vickers Cunningham, was the...
Now Covers Auschwitz
Oct 6, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Antisemitic Graffiti Now Covers Auschwitz
9 barracks vandalized Tuesday with English, German slurs
- Antisemitic terms and other phrases denying the Holocaust appeared Tuesday on at least nine buildings at the site of the former Nazi German death camp Auschwitz, where at least 1.1 million prisoners died during the Holocaust, 90% of whom were Jews. The spray-painted graffiti was written in English and...
Sep 19, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Holocaust Memorial 'Screams— Be Vigilant'
Dutch renew fight against anti-Semitism at unveiling
- King Willem-Alexander unveiled a new memorial in the heart of Amsterdam's historic Jewish Quarter on Sunday honoring more than 102,000 Dutch victims of the Holocaust, and the Dutch prime minister vowed that it would remind citizens today to be vigilant against anti-Semitism. Designed by Polish-Jewish architect Daniel Libeskind,...
Pope Meets Orban, Then Asks
Faithful to Be Tolerant and Open
Sep 12, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Pope Meets Orban, Then Asks Faithful to Be Tolerant and Open
Francis' address to crowd seems to counter official policy in Hungary
- After meeting Sunday with a nationalist ruler who's reduced civil liberties and judicial independence while opposing immigration, Pope Francis asked the people of Hungary for tolerance. His comments, delivered to as many as 100,000 people at an outdoor Mass in Budapest, appeared to be in conflict with the...
Host Now Has
Old Podcast Remarks to Explain
Aug 19, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Host Now Has Old Podcast Remarks to Explain
Mike Richards' 2013-'14 comments on women, Jews, and Haiti are raising eyebrows
- When it was revealed earlier this month that Mike Richards, the new permanent host of the regular version of
, had been named in discrimination lawsuits during his time as a producer on
The Price Is Right
, he insisted that those complaints "[do] not reflect the reality of who...
He Crashed Into Home,
Started Shooting. Now,
a Hate Crime Probe
Jun 28, 2021 10:04 AM CDT
He Crashed Into Home, Started Shooting. Now, a Hate Crime Probe
Mass. authorities investigating incident that left 2 Black bystanders dead in Winthrop
- A shooting over the weekend near Boston that left a retired Massachusetts State Police officer and an Air Force veteran dead is now being investigated as a hate crime, as the two Black victims were gunned down while other bystanders escaped without being targeted. Authorities say 28-year-old Nathan Allen stole...
Is Wrong' About
May 25, 2021 12:54 PM CDT
McCarthy: 'Marjorie Is Wrong' About Holocaust
Jewish group asks lawmaker to educate herself
- After thinking about it for a few days, Republican congressional leaders have slammed Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's likening of coronavirus rules to the Holocaust. House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy and Senate Minority Leader did not hedge in their statements Tuesday. "Marjorie is wrong, and her intentional decision to...
Biden Speaks Out
Against 'Despicable' Rise
in Anti-Semitic Attacks
May 24, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
Biden Speaks Out Against 'Despicable' Rise in Anti-Semitic Attacks
Attacks have surged since start of Gaza conflict
- President Biden spoke out Monday against a disturbing rise in anti-Semitic attacks in the US linked to the Gaza conflict. "The recent attacks on the Jewish community are despicable, and they must stop," the president tweeted . "I condemn this hateful behavior at home and abroad—it’s...
He Was Walking to a
Pro-Israel Rally. Then,
'4 Terrifying Minutes'
May 22, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
He Was Walking to a Pro-Israel Rally. Then, '4 Terrifying Minutes'
Jewish man beaten by mob in NYC's Times Square: 'I could have died'
- A Jewish man headed toward a pro-Israel rally over the current conflict in the Gaza Strip was beaten by a mob in New York City's Times Square earlier this week, with the relentless attack continuing for what the
New York Daily News
describes as "four terrifying minutes."...
New York, LA
as Hate Crimes
May 21, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
New York, LA Investigate Attacks as Hate Crimes
In both cases, assaults on Jewish victims happened during pro-Palestinian demonstrations
- The nation's two largest cities are investigating attacks on Jewish bystanders by pro-Palestinian demonstrators. The New York and Los Angeles police departments are looking into the assaults this week as possible hate crimes. In New York, a man was kicked and beaten by several people when pro-Palestinian marchers fought...
Wrong-Way Bicyclist Faces
Hate-Crime Charges in NYC
May 3, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Wrong-Way Bicyclist Faces Hate-Crime Charges in NYC
NYPD makes an arrest in series of attacks on synagogues
- The NYPD says it has caught the man responsible for a series of attacks on local synagogues —and they say he was riding a bike stolen from one of those synagogues when arrested. Officers stopped 29-year-old Jordan Burnette, a resident of the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx, in the...
Trial in Slaying
of Jewish Woman
Apr 25, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Protesters Want Trial in Slaying of Jewish Woman
Macron is among those calling for a change in French law
- Protesters in Paris and other French cities on Sunday denounced a ruling by France's highest court that the killer of a Jewish woman was not criminally responsible and therefore could not go on trial. Thousands of people filled Trocadero Plaza in Paris, in front of the Eiffel Tower, answering...
Football Coach Fired Over
Mar 25, 2021 2:05 AM CDT
Football Coach Fired Over Anti-Semitic Playcalls
High school team in Massachusetts allegedly used terms including 'Auschwitz'
- The Duxbury High School football team in Massachusetts used anti-Semitic terms as play calls, school officials confirmed Wednesday when they announced the termination of the team's coach. Dave Maimaron, who coached the team to five championships since he was hired in 2005, was fired from that role; he was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.