Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
After Alleged Attacker
Freed, Candidate Says
System Is 'Broken'
Feb 18, 2022 8:30 AM CST
After Alleged Attacker Freed, Candidate Says System Is 'Broken'
Fund co-founded by BLM put up $100K bail after shooting at Craig Greenberg's office
- A Democratic candidate for mayor of Louisville says the fact that the man charged with trying to kill him on Monday was able to walk out of jail on Wednesday shows that "our criminal justice system is clearly broken." Social activist Quintez Brown, 21, was released Wednesday after...
Killer Pardoned by Governor
Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Jan 19, 2022 1:45 AM CST
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Patrick Baker gets 42 years
The man pardoned by Kentucky's former governor for a 2014 murder is going back to prison for 42 years for the same murder. Patrick Baker, who was prosecuted the second time in federal court under the "dual sovereignty doctrine" since his first conviction was in state court,...
Office Cat Found in Rubble
9 Days After Tornado
Dec 23, 2021 7:26 AM CST
Office Cat Found in Rubble 9 Days After Tornado
'If cats actually have nine lives, he probably used up about eight of them'
- Nine days after a tornado demolished his three-story office building in downtown Mayfield, Kentucky, Sonny "Hoot" Gibson was standing in the rubble when he thought he heard a faint meow. It instantly gave him hope that his office cat, Madix, who hadn't been seen since before the storms...
Workers at Candle Factory
Sue Employer After Tornado
Dec 16, 2021 12:57 PM CST
Workers at Candle Factory Sue Employer After Tornado
They accuse Mayfield company in Kentucky of refusing to let them leave before storm
Employees of a candle factory in Kentucky that was decimated by a tornado over the weekend are suing their employer. The workers accuse Mayfield Consumer Products of endangering their lives by refusing to let them go home as the storm approached, reports the AP . The company denies the allegation....
Biden Visits Tornado-Hit
Dec 15, 2021 5:53 PM CST
Biden Visits Tornado-Hit Kentucky Towns
He pledges to do 'whatever it takes' to support the state
- President Biden pledged Wednesday pledged to do “whatever it takes, as long as it takes” to help Kentucky and other states after a series of deadly tornadoes that he said left a trail of unimaginable devastation. "You will recover and rebuild," he said. "The scope and...
Not as Many as Feared
Dead in Candle Factory
Dec 13, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Kentucky Tornado: Not as Many as Feared Dead in Candle Factory
Governor confirms 64 deaths statewide as of Monday morning
As of Monday morning, Kentucky has confirmed 64 deaths from the weekend's tornadoes. Gov. Andy Beshear said that "undoubtedly there will be more," per CNN , perhaps as many as 80. He added that 105 residents of the state remain unaccounted for. Some of the fatalities occurred...
Tornado May Have Broken
Dec 12, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Tornado May Have Broken World Record
Meanwhile, candle factory survivors would be 'miracle'
- Saturday's devastating Kentucky tornado carved an over 200-mile track that could rival the longest on record as the stormfront smashed apart a candle factory, crushed a nursing home and flattened an Amazon distribution center, all while killing upwards of 70 people.
The longest tornado on record tracked for
Dec 11, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Tornado Survivors Describe Destruction
Rescuers, including inmates, search for survivors as families await word
- Crews were digging through rubble Saturday for survivors after powerful storms and tornadoes tore through six states. The death toll was rising, the
New York Times
reports. Gov. Andy Beshear said that at least 70 people were killed in Kentucky and that the final count could top 100. In Mayfield,...
Dozens Feared Dead
in US Tornadoes
Dec 11, 2021 5:32 AM CST
Dozens Feared Dead in US Tornadoes
Governor in Kentucky says toll may reach 100
- Tornadoes were reported in five states on Friday, and the toll in Kentucky appears to be catastrophic. There, Gov. Andy Beshear tells WLKY that at least 50 people are dead. The other states reporting storms were Arkansas, Illinois, Missouri, and Tennessee, per CNN .
"We believe our death toll from
Dec 9, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Basketball Fight Lands Sheriff in Jail
Trooper says Brent Lynch, who's also a coach, hit a member of the other girls team
- A Kentucky sheriff is jailed and four players are suspended from competition after a fight broke out during a girls high school basketball game. A state trooper said Brent Lynch, the elected Owsley County sheriff who doubles as a coach at Owsley County High School, rushed onto the court and...
Police: Missing Girl's
Hand Signal Saved Her
Nov 6, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Police: Missing Girl's Hand Signal Saved Her
16-year-old got help from passing motorist, and police arrested her driver
- A teenage girl used a hand signal popularized on TikTok to signal for help. The 16-year-old from North Carolina had been missing for days when she was rescued Thursday,
reports. James Herbert Brick, 61, of Cherokee, North Carolina, was arrested in Laurel County, Kentucky, and charged with unlawful...
Jockey With 2K Wins Dies
in 'Pedestrian Accident'
Nov 2, 2021 6:06 PM CDT
Jockey With 2K Wins Dies in 'Pedestrian Accident'
Churchill Downs calls Miguel Mena's death 'shocking, terrible, and heartbreaking'
- Successful, well-liked jockey Miguel Mena was killed in what police are calling a "pedestrian" accident in Louisville six days before his 35th birthday—and his friends are trying to figure out why. Mena's agent, Tim Hanisch, tells the
that Mena was on his way home in...
One Adult Getting a Lap Dance
at School Was the Principal
Oct 27, 2021 5:14 PM CDT
One Adult Getting a Lap Dance at School Was the Principal
District investigates homecoming event that included Hooters costumes
- "Um. Exactly what is going on here, y'all?" a tweet by the co-founder of a local education advocacy group asked. What appeared to be going on in the photos posted by Nema Brewer was high school students in Kentucky giving lap dances to faculty and staff members. One...
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
Ford to Make
Its Most 'Dramatic'
Sep 28, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Ford to Make Its Most 'Dramatic' Investment Ever
Automaker to build assembly plant, 3 factories for EV batteries in South, with hopes of 10.8K jobs
- Ford and a partner company say they plan to build three major electric-vehicle battery factories and an auto assembly plant by 2025—a dramatic investment in the future of EV technology that will create an estimated 10,800 jobs and shift the automaker's future manufacturing footprint toward the South....
About to Go on Ventilator,
Bride-to-Be Asked for Vaccine
Sep 22, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
About to Go on Ventilator, Bride-to-Be Asked for Vaccine
Samantha Wendell, who'd delayed vaccination over fertility concerns, died Sept. 10
- Another US woman afraid to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for fear that it would affect her fertility has died of the disease. Samantha Wendell, a 29-year-old surgical technician from Grand Rivers, Ky., was laid to rest earlier this month in a ceremony at an Illinois church where she'd...
Cop Who Shot Breonna Taylor
Is Looking for New Publisher
Aug 23, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Cop Who Shot Breonna Taylor Is Looking for New Publisher
Jonathan Mattingly returns advance after Simon & Schuster refuses to distribute book
- One of the police officers who shot Breonna Taylor in 2020 has decided to return his advance and find another publisher for his book. Jonathan Mattingly's book was picked up by Post Hill Press, a conservative publisher in DC known for titles like
Follow the Money: The Shocking Deep
Horse Bolts From Track,
Hits Highway Instead
Aug 23, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Horse Bolts From Track, Hits Highway Instead
Bold and Bossy is recuperating after her Kentucky escape
- A 2-year-old filly got loose before a race at a Kentucky track and ran onto a highway alongside cars before being corralled over the weekend, per the AP . The filly named Bold and Bossy got loose on her way to the starting gate at Ellis Park on Saturday, and jockey...
Governor Loses on COVID Power
Aug 21, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Governor Loses on COVID Power
Kentucky Supreme Court allows lawmakers to limit emergency powers
- The Kentucky governor's efforts to aggressively combat COVID-19 suffered a landmark legal defeat Saturday as the state's high court cleared the way for new laws to rein in his emergency powers. The state Supreme Court ordered a lower court to dissolve an injunction that temporarily blocked the Republican-backed...
As School Gets Underway,
Aug 19, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
As School Gets Underway, Sobering Numbers
Tens of thousands of students already quarantined across the US, including 20K in Mississippi
- More than 20,000 students in Mississippi—about 4.5% of the state's public-school population—were quarantined over the last two weeks due to coronavirus exposures, per
. Almost 6,000 students in the state have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past two weeks, and two have...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.