Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Dead in Shooting
Blamed on Property Dispute
Nov 22, 2023 12:00 AM CST
3 Dead in Shooting Blamed on Property Dispute
Suspect captured after fleeing in Colorado, and another person is critically wounded
- A man was captured Tuesday after 25 hours on the run after police say he fatally shot three people and critically wounded a fourth in his latest property dispute with neighbors in rural Colorado, authorities said. The suspect, Hanme K. Clark, 45, was arrested by New Mexico State police near...
Army Plant Sells AR-15 Ammo
to Civilians, Drawing Scrutiny
Nov 21, 2023 6:05 PM CST
Army Plant Sells AR-15 Ammo to Civilians, Drawing Scrutiny
Members of Congress sound alarm after 'NYT' reporting
- Members of Congress are calling for a detailed examination of a deal that allows a US Army plant to supply ammunition for AR-15-style weapons, including ammo used in numerous mass shootings, to the commercial market. A
New York Times
investigation published this month and based on more than 1 million...
Suspect in Fatal Memphis
Shooting Rampage Found Dead
Nov 19, 2023 5:31 AM CST
Suspect in Fatal Memphis Shooting Rampage Found Dead
3 women, teen girl were killed, and another teen girl was seriously injured
- A suspect in Tennessee died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot while on the run early Sunday after he allegedly killed four and seriously injured a fifth victim during a deadly outbreak of domestic violence Saturday night, police said. Officers found Mavis Christian Jr., 52, in his car during a manhunt...
Graphic Mass-Shooting Images
Nov 16, 2023 2:00 PM CST
Publishes Graphic Mass-Shooting Images
Newspaper warns readers but says it's necessary to understand the power of AR-15s
- Earlier this year, the
published a story detailing the devastating effects that bullets from an AR-15 have on the human body. On Thursday, the
went further—in fact, "further than any mainstream news organization has ever gone before in showing the brutality and devastation" of mass...
Chief Condemns Leak
of School Shooter's Writings
Nov 7, 2023 2:44 PM CST
Chief Condemns Leak of School Shooter's Writings
He confirms writings from Nashville shooter Audrey Hale are authentic
- Nashville Police Chief John Drake says he's "disturbed" over the unauthorized release of writings from the shooter who killed six people , including three children, at the Covenant school in March. Drake confirmed the authenticity of the writings in a statement late Monday evening, the AP reports. "This...
Gun Shop Owner: Maine
Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Oct 30, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Gun Shop Owner: Maine Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Robert Card reportedly tried to buy silencer months earlier, was rejected due to one answer on form
- The man suspected of killing 18 and injuring 13 in a mass shooting last week in Lewiston, Maine, apparently tried to buy a silencer at a local gun shop almost three months before the massacre. Rick LaChapelle, owner of Coastal Defense Firearms in nearby Auburn, tells ABC News that Robert...
Maine Was Likely
Shooting in US
Oct 30, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Maine Was Likely Worst-Ever Mass Shooting in US Deaf Community
4 deaf people killed as they attended a weekly cornhole tournament
- Not only was last week's horrific mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine, the deadliest ever mass shooting in the state, it may have also been the deadliest ever mass shooting affecting the deaf community in the US, according to advocates for the community. Steve Vozzella, Brian MacFarlane, Billy Brackett, and...
Here Are the 18
Victims in Maine
Oct 28, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Here Are the 18 Victims in Maine
A teen bowler, a shipbuilder who loved cornhole among those gunned down in Lewiston
- Amid reports of the Friday discovery of the body of the suspected gunman in two mass shootings in Lewiston, Maine, more details on the victims. The 18 people killed included a 14-year-old bowler, a shipbuilder who loved playing the game of cornhole, and a sign language interpreter. According to Maine...
Maine Lawmaker Does U-Turn
on Assault Weapons Ban
Oct 27, 2023 5:00 AM CDT
Maine Lawmaker Does U-Turn on Assault Weapons Ban
Democratic Rep. Jared Golden says 'misjudgments' led him to oppose ban
- As the manhunt continued for the suspect in this year's deadliest mass shooting in the US, a Maine congressman reversed his position on an assault weapons ban. US Rep. Jared Golden, a Democrat whose district includes Lewiston, where 18 people were killed in Wednesday night's shooting , said "...
Family Says Maine Suspect
May Have Been Looking for Ex
Oct 27, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Family Says Maine Suspect May Have Been Looking for Ex
Robert Card remains at large after shooting that killed 18
- Maine police on Thursday night briefly surrounded a home believed to be the last known address of the suspected gunman in the mass shooting that killed 18 people Wednesday. The manhunt for suspect Robert Card, 40, has continued since the shootings at two locations in Lewiston, a bar and a...
'Nobody Knew What It Was'
Oct 26, 2023 1:56 PM CDT
Shooting Survivor: 'Nobody Knew What It Was'
One man hid among the bowling alley machinery until police came
- As the manhunt continues in Maine for the gunman who killed at least 18 at a bowling alley and a restaurant in Lewiston, stories from those who survived the shootings and about those who did not were surfacing:
A man who identifies himself only as Brandon tells the AP that
New Toll in Maine:
18 Dead, 13 Injured
Oct 26, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
New Toll in Maine: 18 Dead, 13 Injured
Suspected gunman remains at large
This story has been updated with more info on the gunman and other details throughout.
Authorities in Maine have updated the casualty toll from Wednesday night's mass shooting in Lewiston : A "profoundly saddened" Gov. Janet Mills said at least 18 people were killed and 13 injured, reports the...
Maine Shooting Could Be
Worst in State History
Oct 26, 2023 5:55 AM CDT
Maine Shooting Could Be Worst in State History
Lewiston locked down as police hunt 'person of interest' Robert Card
- Lewiston, Maine, and two nearby communities remained locked down Thursday morning as authorities hunted a person of interest in a mass shooting believed to have killed at least 16 people. The Wednesday night shooting is likely the deadliest shooting in the state's history, with some officials putting the death...
Police Identify Person of
Interest in Maine Mass Shooting
Oct 26, 2023 12:42 AM CDT
Police Identify Person of Interest in Maine Mass Shooting
Robert Card was trained as a firearms instructor at Army Reserve facility
- Police are searching for a man trained as a firearms instructor at a US Army Reserve training facility in Maine after a mass shooting in the state that reportedly killed at least 16 people and left another 50 to 60 injured Wednesday night, some of whom were reportedly hurt during...
Report: At Least 16 Dead
in Maine Mass Shooting
Oct 25, 2023 9:50 PM CDT
Report: At Least 16 Dead in Maine Mass Shooting
Lewiston residents told to shelter in place
This story has been updated with the current death toll and other details throughout.
People in Lewiston, Maine's second-biggest city, have been told to stay in place amid what police say is an active shooter situation involving at least two locations. At least 16 people have been killed—with...
Cops: Man Planned Shooting
at Rock-Climbing Event
Oct 23, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Cops: Man Planned Shooting at Rock-Climbing Event
Samson Garner, 39, of Oregon 'was armed for it,' per the Deschutes County DA
- The Smith Rock Craggin' Classic, an annual three-day rock-climbing fest, took place without a hitch over the weekend in Oregon's Smith Rock State Park. It could've ended up as a crime scene, however, according to authorities, who say they uncovered a mass shooting plot believed to have targeted...
Juvenile Arrested in Connection
With Morgan State Shooting
Oct 14, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Juvenile Arrested in Connection With Morgan State Shooting
17-year-old in custody on attempted murder charges; police seeking 18-year-old suspect as well
- As Morgan State University officials ramp up plans for more security, including a 1.5-mile wall , after five people were injured during a shooting earlier this month on campus during homecoming festivities, local cops have been busy tracking down suspects. The Baltimore Police Department announced Friday that they arrested a...
Morgan State University to
Build Itself a 1.5-Mile Wall
Oct 11, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Morgan State University to Build Itself a 1.5-Mile Wall
Decision comes in wake of homecoming shooting
- In the wake of a shooting that left five people injured during Oct. 3 homecoming festivities, Morgan State University leaders announced Tuesday they plan to build a wall around most of the northeast Baltimore campus and station security personnel at entrances and exits, reports the AP . The wall would extend...
Agrees to Pay More
Than $5M to Families
Sep 25, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Walmart Shooter Agrees to Pay More Than $5M to Families
Patrick Crusius killed 23 people in Texas attack
- A white Texas gunman who killed 23 people in a racist attack on Hispanic shoppers at a Walmart in 2019 agreed Monday to pay more than $5 million to families of the victims. Patrick Crusius was sentenced to 90 consecutive life sentences in July after pleading guilty to federal hate...
Guard at College Turned Away
Gunman Before Store Shooting
Aug 27, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Guard at College Turned Away Gunman Before Store Shooting
Florida officials decry hateful rhetoric as DeSantis denounces slayings
- Before a white gunman opened fire Saturday at a Dollar General store in Florida, killing three Black people, he tried to go on campus at a historically Black college nearby. A security officer turned the man away when he refused to identify himself, Edward Waters University said in a statement....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.