Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
LA's Gnarly Commute
Just Got Worse
Nov 13, 2023 7:26 AM CST
LA's Gnarly Commute Just Got Worse
Fire causes damage to Los Angeles interstate, drivers are urged to take mass transit on Monday
- Los Angeles motorists should expect traffic snarls during the Monday commute as crews assess how much damage was caused by a raging fire over the weekend that closed a major elevated interstate near downtown, officials said. Hazardous materials teams were clearing burned material from underneath Interstate 10 to make way...
City Warns of 'Extreme Peril'
After Blimp Hangar Fire
Nov 10, 2023 7:36 AM CST
City Warns of 'Extreme Peril' After Blimp Hangar Fire
Parks, schools closed after asbestos found in debris of WWII-era building
- Parks and schools were closed Thursday in a southern California city after officials found asbestos in the charred debris of a historic World War II-era blimp hangar. The city of Tustin closed at least nine parks and urged residents to limit outdoor activities to reduce their exposure to ash after...
Workers at This Company's
Sites Keep Dying
Oct 28, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Workers at This Company's Sites Keep Dying
At least 21 dead in coal mine fire in Kazakhstan, the latest in tragedies striking ArcelorMittal Temirtau
- A coal mine fire in central Kazakhstan killed at least 21 workers, while another 25 remained unaccounted for on Saturday, operating company ArcelorMittal Temirtau said in a statement. Some 252 people were working at the Kostenko coal mine at the time of the blaze, believed to have been caused by...
Woman Who Ran Through
Burning Maui Field Dies
Oct 2, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Woman Who Ran Through Burning Maui Field Dies
Laurie Allen, who escaped Lahaina's wildfire 7 weeks ago, succumbed to her injuries Friday
- A woman who escaped Hawaii's Lahaina wildfire by running through a flaming field has died after spending more than seven weeks in a hospital burn unit. Laurie Allen died Friday at Straub Medical Center in Honolulu, according to a GoFundMe page set up for her and her husband, Perry...
Another Massive Recall
for Hyundai and Kia
Sep 27, 2023 11:54 AM CDT
Another Massive Recall for Hyundai and Kia
3.4M vehicles recalled over fire risk; owners warned to park outside, away from structures
- Hyundai and Kia are recalling nearly 3.4 million vehicles in the US and again telling owners to park them outside due to the risk of engine compartment fires. As the AP reports, the recalls cover multiple car and SUV models from the 2010 through 2019 model years, including Hyundai'...
Oprah, the Rock: 'This Is What
You Can Do' to Help Maui
Sep 1, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Oprah, the Rock: 'This Is What You Can Do' to Help Maui
Stars announce fund to help displaced residents
- Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson have committed $10 million to make direct payments to people on Maui who are unable to return to their homes because of the wildfires, through a new fund they announced this week. The People's Fund of Maui will give $1,200...
'Red Flag Warning'
for All of Hawaii
Aug 31, 2023 12:36 PM CDT
NWS Issues 'Red Flag Warning' for All of Hawaii
Weather agency says wind gusts, low humidity have upped risk of rapid-spreading fires on islands
- The National Weather Service on Wednesday warned that gusty winds and low humidity have increased the risk that fires could spread rapidly in the western parts of each Hawaiian island, three weeks after a deadly blaze tore through a coastal Maui town during a similar alert. But the agency said...
Dozens Killed as Fire
Blazes Through Settlement
Aug 31, 2023 6:03 AM CDT
Dozens Killed as Fire Blazes Through Settlement
Johannesburg building was full of 'informal structures,' firefighters say
- More than 70 people were killed early Thursday when fire swept through a five-story building in South Africa's biggest city. Authorities say squatters had moved into the formerly abandoned building in Johannesburg's central business district and created an "informal settlement" with many shack-like structures inside, the BBC...
Maui's Number of Missing
Aug 26, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Maui's Number of Missing Changes Dramatically
Of the 388 people verified as missing, more than 100 say they're safe
- Almost as soon as Maui's number of missing changed dramatically, it may have changed dramatically again. The AP reports that within a day of officials releasing the names of the 388 people who were verified as still missing Thursday, more than 100 of those names might be able to...
Report: Maui Officials Didn't
Use Sirens to Alert Lahaina
Aug 12, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Report: Maui Officials Didn't Use Sirens to Alert Lahaina
Communications efforts are now under scrutiny after wildfire that has left at least 80 dead
- In the hours before a wildfire engulfed the Hawaiian town of Lahaina, Maui County officials failed to activate sirens that would have warned the entire population of the approaching flames and instead relied on a series of sometimes confusing social-media posts that reached a much smaller audience. Power and cellular...
At Least 9 Dead After 'Violent
Flames' Destroy Vacation Home
Aug 9, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
At Least 9 Dead After 'Violent Flames' Destroy Vacation Home
2 more missing, feared dead after fire overtakes French facility for people with learning disabilities
- At least 17 people were evacuated from a French vacation home for people with learning disabilities after a fire broke out early Wednesday, with one person hospitalized, but another nine were killed and two remain missing and feared dead, local authorities tell CNN affiliate BFMTV . The cause of the fire...
Tugs Tow Burning Cargo Ship
Aug 1, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Tugs Tow Burning Cargo Ship
Salvage crews ready to board 'as soon as possible' to assess the situation in North Sea
- A cargo ship carrying thousands of cars that has been burning on the North Sea for nearly a week was towed Monday to a new location further from the Dutch coast to wait for salvage crews to decide their next steps, the government said. The Fremantle Highway arrived earlier than...
Blazing Cargo Ship Carries
3K Cars, Could Be Devastating
Jul 26, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Blazing Cargo Ship Carries 3K Cars, Could Be Devastating
One crew member is dead as officials work to save the ship from going down in a bird habitat
- A fire on a freight ship carrying nearly 3,000 cars was burning out of control Wednesday in the North Sea, and the Dutch coast guard said one crew member had died, others were hurt, and it was working to save the vessel from sinking close to an important habitat...
Scary NYC Morning:
'This Could Have
Been Much Worse'
Jul 26, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Scary NYC Morning: 'This Could Have Been Much Worse'
Only minor injuries reported after crane's arm plummets to the street in Manhattan
- A towering construction crane caught fire high above the west side of Manhattan on Wednesday morning, then lost its long arm , which smashed against a nearby building, dangled, and then plummeted to the street as people ran for their lives on the sidewalk below, the AP reports. Four people suffered...
This Forced Evacuation
of 2K at Crimea Military Base
Jul 19, 2023 3:13 PM CDT
This Forced Evacuation of 2K at Crimea Military Base
Ammunition fire also caused closure of major highway
- Two days after an attack on a bridge linking Russia to the Crimean peninsula, a major fire at a military base in the Russian-occupied peninsula has forced the evacuation of 2,000 people, according to Crimea's governor. Russian-installed governor Sergei Aksyonov said the fire at a military training ground...
6 Killed, One Injured
in Suspected Arson
Jul 3, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
6 Killed, One Injured in Suspected Arson
Ryan Lenard Manigo charged with attempted murder; more charges are pending
- A South Carolina man stands charged after six people were found dead in a house fire Sunday in Green Pond, with the lone survivor airlifted to a nearby hospital in critical condition. Ryan Lenard Manigo, 33, is charged with the attempted murder of the survivor, and CNN reports that further...
Lithium-Ion Batteries Blamed
for Fire That Killed 4 in NYC
Jun 21, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Lithium-Ion Batteries Blamed for Fire That Killed 4 in NYC
FDNY commissioner says it was an 'incredibly deadly' scenario at e-bike store
- A deadly fire in New York City has brought fresh attention to the dangers of lithium-ion batteries. Four people died early Tuesday and two others were critically injured after a fire broke out in an e-bike store on the first floor of a six-story building near Manhattan's Chinatown neighborhood...
100-Plus Homes Were
Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Jun 19, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
100-Plus Homes Were Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Edward Wackerman, 71, is suspected of setting devastating blaze in Mariposa County, California
- An elderly man who lives near Yosemite National Park has been arrested after a forest fire there last year destroyed more than 125 homes. The AP reports that Edward Wackerman of Mariposa was taken into custody Friday, suspected of setting last summer's Oak Fire that burned nearly 20,000...
Drive This Ford SUV? Ford
Wants You to Park It Outside
Jun 2, 2023 9:21 AM CDT
Drive This Ford SUV? Ford Wants You to Park It Outside
Recall cites short circuit in Lincoln MKC that can cause vehicle to catch fire, even when engine is off
- Ford is telling owners of more than 140,000 SUVs in the US to park them outside because they can catch fire even when the engines are turned off. The company is recalling certain Lincoln MKC SUVs from the 2015 to 2019 model years, per the AP . Ford says a...
Authorities: Teen Upset Over
Phone Set Deadly Dorm Fire
May 24, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Authorities: Teen Upset Over Phone Set Deadly Dorm Fire
19 victims at boarding school in Mahdia, Guyana, had been locked in for the night by house mother
- Investigators in Guyana believe a fire that killed 19 people, mostly girls, trapped in a school dormitory was deliberately set by a student who was upset that her mobile phone had been confiscated, a top official said Tuesday. The suspect in the fire late Sunday, who's among the injured,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.