Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 25, 2023 8:30 AM CST
California Pummeled by Rain, Snow, Frigid Temps
Meanwhile, Michigan is hit by its own winter woes
- A powerful winter storm lashing California threatened floods, blizzards, and avalanches Saturday while adding frigid temperatures to the misery mix. Overnight lows could drop below freezing in some areas, while downtown San Francisco could see record-breaking cold temperatures Saturday morning, according to the National Weather Service. Projected temperatures of 38...
This Week's Weather
Will Be Wild Across US
Feb 21, 2023 3:30 AM CST
This Week's Weather Will Be Wild Across US
We can expect blizzards, sleet, and rain, plus record high and low temperatures
- If you have travel plans anywhere in the US this week, prepare for chaos. The National Weather Service issued a blanket warning on Monday: "A massive winter storm is expected to impact much of the US this week with a variety of hazards." As in, blizzards, sleet, freezing...
'Double Whammy' Set
to Pummel Southeast
Feb 11, 2023 7:45 AM CST
'Double Whammy' Set to Pummel Southeast
Snow and ice expected in multiple states this weekend, as well as heavy rain and strong winds
- Spring starts next month, but that doesn't mean winter doesn't still have a trick or two up its sleeve. The Southeast is expected to find that out on Saturday, as what AccuWeather calls a "double whammy" of snow and ice will create a mess in the southern...
It's Dangerously Cold in
the Northeast Right Now
Feb 4, 2023 10:45 AM CST
It's Dangerously Cold in the Northeast Right Now
Region hit with dangerous 'Arctic intrusion'; wind chill atop NH's Mount Washington hit minus 108
- Arctic air descended into the Northeast on Saturday morning, bringing dangerously cold subzero temperatures and wind chills that dropped from minus 45 to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit in many areas. Atop Mount Washington in New Hampshire's White Mountains, the overnight wind chill was measured at minus 108 degrees, according...
The Ice Man Groundeth
1K Flights in Texas
Jan 31, 2023 11:25 AM CST
The Ice Man Groundeth 1K Flights in Texas
Southwest is not having a particularly cheery day again
- Winter weather brought ice to Texas and nearby states Tuesday, causing the cancellation of more than 1,300 flights and delaying nearly as many more. Numerous auto collisions were reported in Austin, with at least one fatality. In Travis County, Texas, which includes Austin, police and sheriff’s deputies have...
Wreak Havoc in Asia
Jan 25, 2023 8:54 AM CST
Freezing Temps Wreak Havoc in Asia
Parts of Japan could see coldest weather in a decade; more than 100 are dead in Afghanistan
- Snow, wind, and freezing temperatures are wreaking havoc across Asia, and in some places it's turned deadly. Earlier this week, more than 120 people died in Afghanistan from the cold, while in China's northernmost city of Mohe, known as "China's North Pole," record lows of...
Blizzard Savior Given
Tickets to the Super Bowl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Blizzard Savior Given Tickets to the Super Bowl
Cheektowaga mechanic Jay Withey, aka 'Merry Christmas Jay,' credited with saving 2 dozen
- A Good Samaritan in Buffalo who police say helped save two dozen lives during the city's December blizzard is getting a bit of a reward for his efforts. The Buffalo Bills are giving mechanic Jay Withey two tickets to next month's Super Bowl in Arizona, reports ESPN . It'...
Military Police Enforce
Buffalo Driving Ban
Dec 27, 2022 2:01 PM CST
Military Police Enforce Buffalo Driving Ban
They will be stationed at major intersections, entrances to snow-stricken city
- State and military police were sent Tuesday to keep people off Buffalo’s snow-choked roads, and officials kept counting fatalities three days after western New York’s deadliest storm in at least two generations. Even as suburban roads and most major highways in the area reopened, Erie County Executive Mark...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
'Maybe the Worst
Accident ... I've
Ever Seen on the
Dec 24, 2022 8:30 AM CST
'Maybe the Worst Accident ... I've Ever Seen on the Ohio Turnpike'
4 are dead after 50-vehicle pileup along highway in Sandusky County
- Amid an extreme winter storm sweeping across large sections of the US, a fatal accident has taken place along a stretch of highway in the Midwest. Ohio State Highway Patrol officials say four people are dead and multiple are injured after a pileup Friday on the Ohio Turnpike in Sandusky...
US Is No Joke
Dec 23, 2022 8:18 AM CST
Megastorm Slamming US Is No Joke
Holiday travel is disrupted, experts warn of frostbite, and lizards may soon start falling in the South
- Temperatures are plummeting rapidly around the nation in what could be one of the coldest Christmases in memory. NBC News reports that 200 million people in the US, or around 60% of the population, have been hit with a weather warning or advisory. The National Weather Service notes that the...
How to Prepare Your Home
for a Rapid Temperature Drop
Dec 22, 2022 11:05 AM CST
How to Prepare Your Home for a Rapid Temperature Drop
Protecting the pipes is essential
- Temperatures across the US are dropping hard and fast as a massive cold front rolls across the nation, and authorities are urging people to be ready for conditions like those seen in Cheyenne, Wyoming, where the temperature dropped a record 40 degrees in just 30 minutes on Wednesday afternoon. Over...
a Merry Little
Dec 22, 2022 6:34 AM CST
Have Yourselves a Merry Little 'Bomb Cyclone'
Rapid temperature drops, wind chills as low as -70 expected into holiday weekend
- Parts of the US are in for "the coldest Christmas in four decades," the BBC reports, noting a "once-in-a-generation" cold snap will evolve into a "bomb cyclone" ahead of the holiday weekend, throwing a wrench in travel plans for millions of Americans. A bomb cyclone—a...
Blast of Frigid Weather
Set to Snarl Holiday Travel
Dec 20, 2022 6:13 PM CST
Blast of Frigid Weather Set to Snarl Holiday Travel
Some areas will see blizzard conditions on the first day of winter
- A large swath of the US braced for a dangerous mix of sub-zero temperatures, howling winds, and blizzard conditions scheduled to arrive Wednesday and disrupt plans for millions of holiday travelers. The blast of frigid weather landing on the first day of winter and lingering through Christmas will initially hammer...
For Millions, This
Might Be the Coldest
Christmas in Decades
Dec 19, 2022 3:26 PM CST
For Millions, This Might Be the Coldest Christmas in Decades
Arctic air set to chill central, eastern US
- Something big from the Arctic will sweep into the US in the days before Christmas, and it's not Santa Claus. Forecasters say that thanks to a dip in the jet stream, a huge mass of cold air from the north is making its way south and will bring some...
Winter Storm Will
Be 'Coast to Coast,
Top to Bottom'
Dec 12, 2022 3:32 PM CST
Winter Storm Will Be 'Coast to Coast, Top to Bottom'
After battering West Coast, system is set to dump snow on Plains, Midwest
- Americans in the lower 48 states who haven't already been affected by a massive winter storm making its way across the country should brace for some wild weather, forecasters say. A storm system that hit the West over the weekend will "bring significant, widespread weather hazards from severe...
Ice, Even a
Feb 4, 2022 7:21 AM CST
Powerful Storm Brings Snow, Ice, Even a Tornado
Severe winter weather across wide swath of US leaves 350K homes, businesses without power
- About 350,000 homes and businesses lost power across the US on Thursday as freezing rain and snow weighed down tree limbs and encrusted power lines, part of a winter storm that caused a deadly tornado in Alabama, dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of the Midwest,...
Florida Issues Warning
on Falling Iguanas
Jan 31, 2022 5:45 PM CST
Florida Issues Warning on Falling Iguanas
They were immobilized by cold snap
- In Florida, falling temperatures have created a potential hazard to cars and people: falling iguanas. The National Weather Service's Miami office warned Sunday that cold weather can cause the cold-blooded reptiles to go into a coma-like state and lose their grip while resting in trees, BBC reports. "Did...
on Course to
Jan 26, 2022 5:27 PM CST
'Bomb Cyclone' on Course to Wallop Northeast
Winter storm could hit Friday night
- The East Coast is in store for a hefty dose of winter weather this weekend, forecasters say. The National Weather Service says it is "increasingly confident" that a major winter storm will wallop the area from the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast starting Friday, reports
Winter Storm Brings
Jan 17, 2022 3:01 PM CST
Winter Storm Brings Massive Snowfall, Dangerous Winds to Northeast
Some areas had more than a foot of snow
- A dangerous winter storm brought significant snowfall, strong thunderstorms, and blustery winds to the northeastern US on a holiday Monday. The storm system dropped a foot or more of snow in parts of New York state, Ohio, and Pennsylvania Sunday night through Monday morning after pummeling parts of the Southeast...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.