Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer Suspended for
Chucking Poop-Filled Can
Nov 30, 2023 12:50 PM CST
Lawyer Suspended for Chucking Poop-Filled Can
He 'failed to control his own bizarre impulses,' Ohio Supreme Court says
- "Very few, if any, prior cases offer guidance regarding the appropriate sanction for the misconduct at issue here," Ohio's Supreme Court said in a ruling on an attorney who admitted throwing a Pringles can filled with his own feces into the parking lot of a crime victim-advocacy...
Opponents Helped Word
Abortion Rights Ballot Measure
Nov 29, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Opponents Helped Word Abortion Rights Ballot Measure
Ohio secretary of state consulted three groups against the constitutional amendment
- Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose consulted three prominent anti-abortion groups while drafting the contested ballot language used to describe Issue 1, an abortion-rights measure overwhelmingly approved by voters earlier this month, cleveland.com reported Wednesday. The Republican elections chief and 2024 US Senate candidate revealed having help with the...
Victims in Ohio
Bus Crash Identified
Nov 16, 2023 7:49 AM CST
Victims in Ohio Bus Crash Identified
3 students, 2 parents, and a teacher died Wednesday in multi-vehicle crash
- A federal investigator looking into an Ohio bus crash that killed three students, two parents, and a teacher with a high school band group praised on Wednesday the "good Samaritans" who rushed to the scene of the highway crash, per the AP . National Transportation Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendy...
6 Dead in Crash Involving
Bus Full of Students
Nov 14, 2023 5:51 PM CST
6 Dead in Crash Involving Bus Full of Students
Ohio high school students, chaperones were on their way to event in Columbus
- At least six people were killed in a horrific crash in eastern Ohio involving multiple vehicles, including a charter bus carrying high school students and chaperones, authorities say. The state highway patrol says 18 people were hospitalized after the bus was hit by a tractor-trailer on Interstate 70 around 26...
Ohio Republicans Want to Keep
Abortion Vote From Judiciary
Nov 10, 2023 2:55 PM CST
Ohio Republicans Want to Keep Abortion Vote From Judiciary
Lawmakers argue only legislature can interpret new constitutional amendment
- Opponents of the amendment approved by voters this week to add abortion rights to Ohio's constitution have lost but not given up. Four Republican legislators want to end the judiciary's ability to interpret the measure's meaning, the
reports. The idea is to head off abortion...
Big Wins Give Democrats
a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Nov 8, 2023 6:49 AM CST
Big Wins Give Democrats a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Voters back abortion access, appear wary of Trump-backed candidates
- Nearly a year and a half after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, abortion remains a key issue in elections across the country—to the benefit of Democrats, who've made protecting abortion rights a priority. A major takeaway from Tuesday's elections is that "voters are casting...
Ohio Votes to Protect
Nov 7, 2023 8:14 PM CST
Ohio Votes to Protect Abortion Access
Voters approve constitutional amendment enshrining abortion rights
- It looks like Ohio will indeed enshrine abortion protections into its state constitution. The AP reports that the constitutional amendment protecting abortion access in the state was passed by voters on Tuesday. After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last year, a 2019 law banning abortions after six weeks...
Abortion a Big Issue
in Tuesday's Voting
Nov 6, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Abortion a Big Issue in Tuesday's Voting
Restrictions, protections are front and center in Ohio, Kentucky, and Virginia
- The most-watched races in Tuesday's off-year general election have been dominated by the ongoing debate over abortion rights. From a reelection bid for governor in Kentucky and a statewide ballot measure in Ohio, to state legislative elections in Virginia, access to abortion has been a frequent topic in campaign...
Man With Esteemed
Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Nov 3, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Man With Esteemed Classic-Car Collection Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Businessman Najeeb Khan, who orchestrated $180M check-kiting scheme, gets 8 years in prison
- A businessman who orchestrated a $180 million check-kiting scheme and used the proceeds to live a lavish lifestyle and amass one of the world's most revered classic-car collections has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison, per the AP . Najeeb Khan, 70, of Edwardsburg, Michigan, told a...
Serial Killer Suspect
Pleads Not Guilty
Oct 30, 2023 4:38 PM CDT
Serial Killer Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
Rebecca Auborn is accused of drugging 5 men in Ohio, 4 of whom died
- An Ohio woman who police say fatally drugged four men pleaded not guilty to 28 charges at an arraignment Monday and will be held in jail awaiting trial after waiving her chance for bond. Rebecca Auborn's pleas were entered through her attorney, Mark Hunt, the
63 Years After
Girl Was Killed,
a New Sketch
Oct 11, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
63 Years After Girl Was Killed, a New Sketch of Suspect
Teen's sister, who was with her when she was abducted, helped to create it
- On the night of November 13, 1960, Ohio 14-year-old Nancy Eagleson was walking home from the movies with her 5-year-old sister, Sheryl, when a man drove up to the pair, asking them if they needed a ride home before forcing Nancy into the car and pushing Sheryl aside. Nancy was...
Couple Sentenced After Reports
of False Alzheimer's Diagnoses
Sep 29, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Couple Sentenced After Reports of False Alzheimer's Diagnoses
Patients said they planned the end of their lives, quitting their jobs or taking a final trip
- A former director of an Ohio memory-loss clinic accused by dozens of patients of falsely diagnosing them with Alzheimer's disease has been sentenced on federal fraud charges, along with her physician husband. Sherry-Ann Jenkins received nearly six years in prison on Tuesday, while Oliver Jenkins got a 41-month sentence....
High School Coach Resigns
Over Team's 'Nazi' Play Call
Sep 27, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
High School Coach Resigns Over Team's 'Nazi' Play Call
Tim McFarland of Ohio's Brooklyn High School steps down after players' antisemitic jabs
- An Ohio high school football coach resigned Monday after his team used racist and antisemitic language to call plays during a game last week. Brooklyn High School coach Tim McFarland and his players repeatedly used the word "Nazi" as a play call in a game against Beachwood High School....
Ancient Mounds in Ohio
Join Ranks of World Gems
Sep 19, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Ancient Mounds in Ohio Join Ranks of World Gems
UNESCO recognizes earthworks by Native Americans as a World Heritage Site
- A network of ancient Native American ceremonial and burial mounds in Ohio described as "part cathedral, part cemetery, and part astronomical observatory" was added Tuesday to the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. Preservationists, led by the Ohio History Connection, and Indigenous tribes, many with ancestral ties to the state,...
Officers' Response to
Worried Father Goes Viral
Sep 19, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Officers' Response to Worried Father Goes Viral
He said daughter, 11, was manipulated by adult to send explicit pics; cops said she could be charged
- A father in Columbus, Ohio, shared video of an exchange with two city officers who came to his door, and the department says it's now investigating how they handled things. As 10TV explains, the father called police to report that his 11-year-old daughter had been manipulated by an adult...
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
Ex-NBA Player Dies at 42
Sep 13, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Ex-NBA Player Dies at 42
Brandon Hunter played for the Celtics, Magic after his turn at Ohio University
- A former NBA player who counted the Boston Celtics and Orlando Magic among his teams has died. "We are terribly saddened to learn of the loss of our former teammate, Brandon Hunter," the Magic wrote online Tuesday night of its ex-forward. "We send our deepest condolences to...
Released in Police Killing
of Pregnant Woman
Sep 4, 2023 1:44 AM CDT
Bodycam Video Released in Police Killing of Pregnant Woman
Shooting of Ta'Kiya Young is under investigation in Ohio
- Bodycam video has been released of the fatal police shooting of a pregnant Black woman in Ohio. Ta'Kiya Young, 21, can be seen in her car in the parking lot of a Kroger grocery store, where an employee had just accused her of shoplifting. Bodycam video from both officers...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Ohio Police Fatally Shoot
Aug 29, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Ohio Police Fatally Shoot Pregnant Woman
Ta'Kiya Young had just been accused of shoplifting from a supermarket
- Police in a Columbus suburb fatally shot a pregnant woman in an Ohio supermarket parking lot after she accelerated her car toward an officer, police officials said. Ta'Kiya Young, 21, of Columbus, died Thursday evening in Blendon, the AP reports. A supermarket employee told officers who were at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.