Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UN Has Harsh Words for
Iran Over Child's Execution
Nov 29, 2023 8:19 AM CST
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Country reportedly put a 17-year-old to death on Friday
- The UN had harsh words for Iran on Tuesday over the country's decision to execute two young people last Friday. "We deplore the executions," Elizabeth Throssell, a rep for the UN Human Rights Office, said in a statement in reference to the deaths of Hamidreza Azari, 17,...
In Last Words, Inmate
Takes Jab at Executioner
Nov 17, 2023 4:24 AM CST
In Last Words, Inmate Takes Jab at Executioner
Alabama inmate Casey McWhorter brought up domestic violence allegations
- An Alabama inmate convicted of killing a man during a 1993 robbery when he was a teenager was executed Thursday by lethal injection. Casey McWhorter, 49, was pronounced dead at 6:56pm at a southwest Alabama prison, authorities said. McWhorter was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death for...
Alabama Sets Date for First
Execution by New Method
Nov 9, 2023 2:36 PM CST
Alabama Sets Date for First Execution by New Method
Kenneth Eugene Smith will be first person in the US executed with nitrogen gas
- A year after the execution of Kenneth Eugene Smith by lethal injection was called off after the execution team had trouble connecting an IV line, Alabama has set a date to execute him by a different method. Gov. Kay Ivey's office says the state plans to execute Smith with...
Alabama's Top Court
OKs New Execution Method
Nov 2, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
Alabama's Top Court OKs New Execution Method
Decision clears the way for state to execute Kenneth Smith with nitrogen gas
- A divided Alabama Supreme Court said the state can execute an inmate with nitrogen gas, a method that has not previously been used to carry out a death sentence in the US. The all-Republican court in a 6-2 decision Wednesday granted the state attorney general's request for an execution...
With Less Than 5 Hours to Go,
Texas Court Halts Execution
Oct 27, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
With Less Than 5 Hours to Go, Texas Court Halts Execution
Victim's sister asked state to spare the life of William Speer
- Texas' top criminal appeals court stopped Thursday evening's scheduled execution of an inmate who had been condemned for killing another prisoner more than 26 years ago. The victim's sister and religious leaders had recently asked authorities to spare the life of William Speer, 49. His attorneys had asked...
Texas Executes Man Who
Questioned Safety of Drugs
Oct 11, 2023 12:15 AM CDT
Texas Executes Man Who Questioned Safety of Drugs
Jedidiah Murphy apologized to victim's family before he was put to death
- A Texas man who unsuccessfully challenged the safety of the state's lethal injection drugs and raised questions about evidence used to persuade a jury to sentence him to death for killing an elderly woman decades ago was executed late Tuesday, the AP reports. Jedidiah Murphy, 48, was pronounced dead...
Florida Executes Man Who
Killed Women He Met in Bars
Oct 3, 2023 7:09 PM CDT
Florida Executes Man Who Killed Women He Met in Bars
Michael Zack killed 2 women in 2 days
- A man who killed two women after meeting them a day apart in north Florida bars in 1996 was put to death Tuesday evening. Michael Zack III, 54, was pronounced dead following a lethal injection at Florida State Prison in Starke. The execution started promptly at 6pm. Zack was asked...
Gets Its Hands on
Death Penalty Drug
Sep 20, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
South Carolina Gets Its Hands on Death Penalty Drug
State has obtained pentobarbital to carry out lethal injections, will resume executions after 12 years
- South Carolina has obtained a drug needed to carry out lethal injections and is ready to perform the state's first execution in over 12 years, officials announced Tuesday. South Carolina used to be one of the most prolific states in the nation when it came to putting inmates to...
Missouri Executes Man
for Murder of Girl, 6
Aug 1, 2023 7:17 PM CDT
Missouri Executes Man for Murder of Girl, 6
3 Supreme Court justices dissented to Johnny Johnson decision
- A man who abducted a 6-year-old Missouri girl and beat her to death at an abandoned factory decades ago was put to death Tuesday evening, shortly after the US Supreme Court rejected a request to block the lethal injection over arguments he was mentally incompetent. Johnny Johnson, 45, received a...
First Woman Since 2004
Jul 28, 2023 4:26 AM CDT
Singapore Executes First Woman Since 2004
Saridewi Djamani was convicted of trafficking just over an ounce of heroin
- Singapore executed a woman Friday for the first time since 2004. Saridewi Djamani, 45, was convicted five years ago of trafficking just over an ounce of heroin, though she testified that she had been stocking up for personal use, the BBC reports. The hanging was the 15th drug-related execution in...
Carry Out Executions
Jul 21, 2023 4:17 AM CDT
Alabama, Oklahoma Carry Out Executions
James Barber said he felt 'trepidation' after two failed executions in Alabama
- Alabama executed a man on Friday for the 2001 beating death of a woman as the state resumed lethal injections after two failed executions prompted the governor to order an internal review of procedures. James Barber, 64, was pronounced dead at 1:56am after receiving a lethal injection at a...
Due to Be Executed
Jul 19, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Due to Be Executed After Botched Lethal Injections, He's Concerned
James Barber says he feels 'trepidation,' but not fear, over what's to come
- James Barber is set to be put to death in Alabama Thursday night unless an appeals court intervenes, and he will be the first prisoner the state executes since a series of botched lethal injection and lethal injection attempts led to a temporary halt in executions that started in November...
Was Put to Death.
It's Not the Answer
May 27, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
My Brother Was Put to Death. It's Not the Answer
Robert Towery was executed in 2012; Christine Towery was there
- Christine Towery's first memory is an awful one: of her baby brother bound, with duct tape on his mouth, on the floor of the family car. Towery was so terrified her mother would kill her if she moved to help him that she didn't. It was an abuse-filled...
Supreme Court Sides With
Alabama Death Row Inmate
May 16, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Alabama Death Row Inmate
Says Kenneth Smith should be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia
- The US Supreme Court on Monday sided with an Alabama death row inmate, who had his lethal injection called off at the last minute in November, and argues he should be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia when he is ultimately executed, the AP reports. Justices without comment rejected the...
Florida Executes Man for
May 4, 2023 4:24 AM CDT
Florida Executes Man for 37-Year-Old Crime
56-year-old Darryl Barwick murdered woman in 1986, when he was 19 years old
- A Florida man was executed Wednesday for breaking into a woman's home and stabbing her to death in 1986, a crime committed months after he was released from prison for a rape. Darryl B. Barwick, 56, was pronounced dead at 6:14pm Wednesday following a lethal injection at Florida...
Executed in Florida
Apr 13, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
'Ninja Killer' Executed in Florida
Louis Bernard Gaskin, 56, wore ninja clothing during 1989 double murder
- Florida executed a man known as the “ninja killer” on Wednesday for the 1989 slayings of a couple visiting the state from New Jersey, the AP reports. Louis Bernard Gaskin, 56, was pronounced dead at 6:15pm after receiving a lethal injection, the governor’s office said. He was...
After 3 Last Meals
on Death Row,
He Could Go Free
Apr 7, 2023 9:33 AM CDT
After 3 Last Meals on Death Row, He Could Go Free
Oklahoma AG wants Richard Glossip's murder conviction vacated based on 'new information'
- Convicted of ordering the murder of his boss in 1997, Richard Glossip has eaten his "last meal" as a death-row inmate three times . And each time, he's "narrowly avoided death ... with reprieves or stays of execution," CNN reports. Now, after decades on death row, Glossip may...
Virginia Execution Tapes
Capture Convicts' Last Words
Mar 8, 2023 5:00 PM CST
Virginia Execution Tapes Capture Convicts' Last Words
State won't release recordings despite open records request
- On a 1989 audio recording crackling with static, an inmate is barely audible as he offers his last words before he is executed in Virginia's electric chair. "I would like to express that what is about to take place ... is a murder," Alton Waye—who was convicted...
Execution Delayed for Inmate
Who Gouged Out His Eyes
Mar 8, 2023 2:58 PM CST
Execution Delayed for Inmate Who Gouged Out His Eyes
Lawyers will make case Andre Thomas is not competent to be put to death
- Andre Thomas' execution had been scheduled for April 5; on Tuesday, a Texas judge pulled that date to give the 39-year-old's legal team time to prepare its case: They have until July 5 to file their argument that he is "not competent for execution." His case is...
Man Who Killed His Wife
and Her 6-Year-Old
Apologizes Before Execution
Mar 8, 2023 12:23 AM CST
Man Who Killed His Wife and Her 6-Year-Old Apologizes Before Execution
Gary Green, 51, put to death in Texas
- A Texas inmate convicted of fatally stabbing his estranged wife and drowning her 6-year-old daughter in a bathtub nearly 14 years ago was executed on Tuesday, the AP reports. Gary Green, 51, received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the September 2009 deaths...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.