Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Senator Comes Up With
Colorful Insult for Santos
Jan 25, 2023 8:09 AM CST
GOP Senator Comes Up With Colorful Insult for Santos
John Kennedy calls fellow Republican a 'bunny boiler,' a reference to 1987's 'Fatal Attraction'
- Rep. George Santos has been rather busy since the 118th Congress convened on Jan. 3, though not all with duties related to his new role as a US congressman. He's mainly been playing defense against his ever-evolving laundry list of lies , the barbs of late-night comedians , and allegations of...
McCarthy on MTG: 'I Will
Never Leave That Woman'
Jan 23, 2023 11:23 AM CST
McCarthy on MTG: 'I Will Never Leave That Woman'
'New York Times' has the background on their unlikely political alliance
- In his bumpy but ultimately successful bid to become House speaker , Kevin McCarthy had a strong and surprising ally on his side—hard-right firebrand Marjorie Taylor Greene. But as a deep dive by Jonathan Swan and Catie Edmondson makes clear in the
New York Times
, their unlikely political alliance had...
Greene, Other Right-Wing
GOPers Picked for Committees
Jan 18, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Greene, Other Right-Wing GOPers Picked for Committees
Greene will sit on Oversight, Homeland Security panels if OKed; Gosar, Santos also selected for seats
- It's been noted that Marjorie Taylor Greene is vying for more of a power position within the Republican Party, and it looks like she just made some headway. The Hill reports the Georgia congresswoman was selected Tuesday by the GOP-led House Steering Committee to sit on the Homeland Security...
Open to Trump
Jan 12, 2023 4:10 PM CST
McCarthy: I'm Open to Trump Expungements
New speaker says it's not a priority, but he'd consider clearing impeachment record
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who once said Donald Trump "bears responsibility" for the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, said Thursday he'd consider pursuing expungement of impeachment from the former president's record. Republican House members have introduced resolutions in the past calling for expungement—before the party...
Santos: I Was Volleyball Star
at School I Didn't Attend
Jan 12, 2023 11:32 AM CST
Santos: I Was Volleyball Star at School I Didn't Attend
Beleaguered congressman made the claim to Nassau County GOP as a candidate
- George Santos didn't just lie about attending Baruch College—he made himself an elite student and a fictional volleyball star there. The
New York Times
has more details on the new New York congressman's web of lies , including a copy of the two-page resume he submitted to the...
House GOPer Sends Letter
to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Jan 12, 2023 10:40 AM CST
House GOPer Sends Letter to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Republicans have started their probe into president's son, as well as into Joe Biden's finances
- In October, federal agents announced they'd gathered enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. Now, House Republicans have jump-started their long-desired investigation of the president's son, as well as the involvement of ex-Twitter employees in handling reporting on him. Per the Hill , a letter sent Wednesday...
New House Panel
Will Investigate Feds
Jan 10, 2023 9:07 PM CST
New House Panel Will Investigate Feds
Democrats slam formation of committee on 'weaponization' of government
- It took 15 votes for House Republicans to elect Kevin McCarthy as speaker last week, but they were a lot less divided Tuesday, when they voted to establish a committee to investigate federal law enforcement, Big Tech, and the Biden administration. In a 221-211 party-line vote, the House voted to...
Gaetz Forgives GOP Colleague
for 'Animated Moment'
Jan 9, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Gaetz Forgives GOP Colleague for 'Animated Moment'
Rep. Mike Rogers had to be held back from Florida congressman during House speaker vote
- A "tense moment" during the House speaker vote last week has died down, with the two main players now extending olive branches. The incident involved Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, who was a holdout against voting in Rep. Kevin McCarthy as speaker, and Alabama Rep. Mike Rogers, an ally who...
Suggest Trouble Ahead
Jan 7, 2023 5:05 PM CST
McCarthy's Concessions Suggest Trouble Ahead
Bloc opposed to his speakership now has outsize clout
- Kevin McCarthy's decision to transfer powers held by the House speaker's office to a band of GOP members ended this week's chaos , but it caused concern—among Republicans and others—about what's ahead. The new reality could keep the House from performing such central tasks as...
Jan 6, 2023 3:40 PM CST
George Santos Issues a Memorable Line
'You can't make this crap up' GOP lawmaker-elect accused of lying says as House votes on speaker
- Despite calls from Democrats (and even some Republicans ) for Rep.-elect George Santos to consider resigning his new post after accusations he's lied about his career and personal life, the embattled GOP lawmaker showed up Tuesday for the first convening of the 118th Congress, with the House gathered...
GOPers Cheer Removal
of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM CST
GOPers Cheer Removal of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Republicans remove controversial metal detectors outside of House chamber put in place after Jan. 6
- Little else is getting done as Republicans hash out who's going to be the next speaker of the House, but one order of business important to the GOP did take place Tuesday: The metal detectors outside of the chamber, installed at the order of then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi after the...
McCarthy Fails to Win
Speakership on First Ballot
Jan 3, 2023 12:57 PM CST
McCarthy Fails to Win Speakership on First Ballot
House must keep voting until a speaker is selected
- So who will be the next House speaker? After one round of voting in the chamber, the answer remains unclear. Frontrunner Kevin McCarthy, who served as House Minority Leader when Democrats were in charge, failed to get the necessary 218 votes on the first ballot, reports the
She Started Out
Went Full MAGA
Jan 1, 2023 5:00 PM CST
She Started Out Moderate, Then Went Full MAGA
'WaPo' profile examines 'bewildering and sudden' shift of New York congresswoman Elise Stefanik
- After Mitt Romney lost the presidency in 2012, Elise Stefanik, a budding young Republican from upstate New York who worked for his campaign, helped put together an "autopsy report, a document urging more inclusivity and openness in the GOP." So writes Ruby Cramer in her profile of Stefanik,...
Santos Resign Over
Dec 27, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Dems Demand Santos Resign Over 'Whopping Lies'
Incoming GOP lawmaker who admits to lying on resume is taking heat from other side of the aisle
- "I will be sworn in, I will take office" was George Santos' recent vow on being seated in Congress next month, despite fallout from the discovery of multiple lies on his resume . But although it seems unlikely the House itself will prevent the recently elected congressman from Long Island...
McCarthy's Speaker Struggle
Imperils GOP Agenda
Dec 17, 2022 5:45 PM CST
McCarthy's Speaker Struggle Imperils GOP Agenda
Delays in settling on leaders mean party won't be able to launch investigations
- Rep. Kevin McCarthy's chaotic campaign to become speaker of the House is setting the new GOP majority up for a slow start in January, possibly putting the GOP agenda at risk, Republicans say. This week, McCarthy postponed races for committee chairmanships until after the speaker vote on Jan. 3,...
Tearful Plea Against
Dec 10, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Nephew Slams GOP Lawmaker's Tearful Plea Against Gay Marriage
Andrew Hartzler's video goes viral for calling out 'Aunt Vicky' over Respect for Marriage Act vote
- A GOP congresswoman made a tearful plea this week to fellow House members to vote against the Respect for Marriage Act , which offers federal protections for same-sex and interracial marriages, and a response from a member of her own family has now gone viral. On Thursday, Rep. Vicky Hartzler of...
'NeverKevins' Deal Another
Blow to McCarthy's Speaker Bid
Nov 23, 2022 9:35 AM CST
'NeverKevins' Deal Another Blow to McCarthy's Speaker Bid
Ralph Norman is 5th Republican to doubt him
- A fifth Republican has expressed opposition to California Rep. Kevin McCarthy as speaker, promising there are "many more who will take our position." GOP Rep. Ralph Norman of South Carolina, who's with the House Freedom Caucus, told Politico on Tuesday that he would be a "hard"...
This House Race Winner
Is in Rare Company
Nov 22, 2022 6:22 AM CST
This House Race Winner Is in Rare Company
Rep. David Valadao is one of only two Republicans who voted to impeach who will be returning
- Another close House race got called Monday night by the AP , and this one has some notable implications. Rep. David Valadao defeated Democrat Rudy Salas in California, making him only the second GOP House member who voted to impeach former President Trump to win reelection, notes the
New York Times
McCarthy Wins Nomination
for House Speaker
Nov 15, 2022 2:13 PM CST
McCarthy Wins Nomination for House Speaker
But a conservative rival has declared a challenge
- Republican leader Kevin McCarthy cleared the first major step Tuesday toward becoming House speaker, winning the nomination on a vote by his GOP colleagues, but he now faces a weeks-long slog to quell objections from his right flank before a final vote. McCarthy has led House Republicans this far, and...
GOP Can Now
Almost Touch 218
Nov 15, 2022 8:20 AM CST
GOP Can Now Almost Touch 218
Republicans need just 1 seat to regain House majority, but they'll likely have a super-slim lead
- As of Tuesday morning, Republicans are as close as they can get to winning back the House without having it fully in hand. The Hill reports that the GOP picked up four crucial seats on Monday in Arizona, California, and New York, meaning they now hold 217 seats in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.