Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Japan Weighs Moving
Against Unification Church
Sep 4, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Japan Weighs Moving Against Unification Church
Government is investigating fundraising activities
- Japan's government, which is investigating the Unification Church's fundraising practices in light of the assassination of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, is considering going to court to have the church dissolved if the evidence gathered is convincing. A Japanese newspaper,
, reported that government officials said...
'You Were a Person
Who Should Have
Lived Much Longer'
Sep 27, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
'You Were a Person Who Should Have Lived Much Longer'
Japan's Shinzo Abe was given a state funeral Tuesday
- Japan's assassinated hawkish former leader, Shinzo Abe, was given a state funeral Tuesday, making him just the second politician to receive the honor in post-war Japan, reports the BBC . The event has deeply split public opinion. In addition to the thousands who took to the streets in protest, Japan'...
Abe's $12M State Funeral May
Have Spurred Self-Immolation
Sep 21, 2022 11:24 AM CDT
Abe's $12M State Funeral May Have Spurred Self-Immolation
Man set himself on fire near Japanese prime minister's office in Tokyo
- A man set himself on fire outside the Japanese prime minister's office in apparent protest of a state funeral for the assassinated ex-leader Shinzo Abe. It happened on Wednesday, on what would've been Abe's 68th birthday. The elderly man, initially found unconscious with burns to his entire...
Japan Police Chief
Takes Responsibility for
Shinzo Abe's Assassination
Aug 25, 2022 5:49 AM CDT
Japan Police Chief Takes Responsibility for Shinzo Abe's Assassination
Report found holes in Abe's police protection, and he's stepping down
Japan's national police chief is taking responsibility for the assassination of Shinzo Abe by stepping down. The National Police Agency on Thursday released a report regarding its failure to protect Abe and the holes it found in Abe's police protection. Chief Itaru Nakamura announced his resignation the...
May Be Source of
Jul 11, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Unification Church May Be Source of Suspect's Grudge
Mother of man held in Abe's killing is a member
- The Unification Church confirmed Monday that the mother of the man accused of killing Shinzo Abe is a member, raising the possibility that it's the organization against which the suspect held a grudge. Japanese police have said the suspect told them he was motivated by a grudge against a...
After Assassination, Voters
Give Abe's Party a Boost
Jul 10, 2022 9:54 AM CDT
After Assassination, Voters Give Abe's Party a Boost
Former prime minister's party on track for strong showing in parliamentary elections
- Japan voted Sunday in the shadow of the assassination of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that brought heightened security as party leaders avoided mingling with crowds in last-minute campaign stops. Exit polls for the election for the parliament's upper house showed Abe's governing party certain to win a...
in Abe's Death
Jul 9, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Police Chief Accepts Responsibility in Abe's Death
Campaigning goes on as Japan prepares for election Sunday
- Police in Japan struggled Saturday to answer for the flaws in their security plans to protect former prime minister Shinzo Abe, who was shot to death during a political appearance Friday. Even while questions mounted for police, funeral arrangements were made, the nation mourned, and campaigning went on, the
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe
Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Jul 8, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Police say they found homemade guns in raid of suspect's house
- Japanese police said they found multiple homemade weapons in a raid Friday on the residence of the man held in the assassination of Shinzo Abe, several of which are similar to the one they say was used to kill the former prime minister. The murder weapon is more than a...
'Hard to Think
of a More
Jul 8, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
'Hard to Think of a More Unexpected Place'
Japanese laws mean gun violence is almost non-existent
- There will be no erasing the scars carved into Japan with Friday's assassination of former prime minister Shinzo Abe, say those familiar with Japanese society. The country has been "brought to a standstill by the news," which is especially shocking given that gun crime is almost non-existent...
Death More Jarring:
That a Gun Was Used
Jul 8, 2022 9:46 AM CDT
Making Abe's Death More Jarring: That a Gun Was Used
Gun violence is practically zero in Japan
- One theme that keeps emerging in coverage of Shinzo Abe's fatal shooting in Japan is that gun deaths are rare in Japan. But just
rare they are—and how strict the nation's gun laws are—might still come as a surprise:
Japan had a total of
Shinzo Abe Leaves
a Mixed Legacy
Jul 8, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Shinzo Abe Leaves a Mixed Legacy
Assassinated ex-PM was 'complex, polarizing' figure in Japan
- Shinzo Abe was a political blueblood groomed for power. Japan's longest serving prime minister, he was also perhaps the most polarizing, complex politician in recent Japanese history, the AP reports. Abe, who was assassinated Friday , angered both liberals at home and World War II victims in Asia with his...
The World Reacts to
Shinzo Abe's Assassination
Jul 8, 2022 6:36 AM CDT
The World Reacts to Shinzo Abe's Assassination
A 'dark day for Japanese democracy'
- World leaders are expressing sadness, shock, and outrage at the assassination of a man many of them knew personally—Shinzo Abe, Japan's longest-serving prime minister. Abe, who resigned in 2020, was fatally shot while delivering a speech at a campaign event in western Japan Friday. Former Australian prime minister...
Ex-Japan PM Shinzo Abe
Dies After 'Barbaric' Shooting
Jul 8, 2022 4:33 AM CDT
Ex-Japan PM Shinzo Abe Dies After 'Barbaric' Shooting
Suspected assassin identified as Tetsuya Yamagami
- Doctors were unable to save Shinzo Abe, Japan's former prime minister, after he was shot during a campaign event Friday. The 67-year-old died from his injuries after the attack in Nara, western Japan, public broadcaster NHK has confirmed. Abe, who resigned in 2020, was Japan's longest-serving prime minister....
Japanese Ex-PM Shinzo Abe
Shot in Chest
Jul 7, 2022 11:35 PM CDT
Japanese Ex-PM Shinzo Abe Shot in Chest
Details are still developing
This story has been updated with new details on Abe's condition.
The former prime minister of Japan was reportedly shot in the chest during a political speech Friday afternoon. Media outlets were initially using words like "apparent shooting" to describe the still-unclear sequence of events, but photos from...
There's a New
Name to Memorize
Sep 16, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
There's a New World Leader's Name to Memorize
Former cardboard factory employee Yoshihide Suga is Japan's new prime minister
- Yoshihide Suga, a self-made politician and the right-hand man to his predecessor, was officially elected by Parliament on Wednesday as Japan's new prime minister and leader of the world's third largest economy. The 71-year-old head of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party replaces Shinzo Abe, who resigned due to...
Japan's Next Leader: Just Like
Abe, Except for One Thing
Sep 14, 2020 6:49 AM CDT
Japan's Next Leader: Just Like Abe, Except for One Thing
Yoshihide Suga says he lacks diplomacy skills of outgoing PM, who had good relations with Trump
- Yoshihide Suga was elected as the new head of Japan’s ruling party on Monday, all but assuring that he will become the country's new prime minister when a parliamentary election is held later in the week, per the AP . Despite his low-key image, Suga, 71, has been a...
A Tearful Shinzo Abe
Aug 28, 2020 5:53 AM CDT
A Tearful Shinzo Abe Announces Resignation
Japanese PM says he's stepping down for health reasons
- An emotional Shinzo Abe held a press conference Friday to make a big announcement, for a second time: He's resigning. The BBC reports that the 65-year-old prime minister of Japan has long suffered from ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease, but after his issues started recently worsening, he made...
Japan Has Big Issue With
Statue of a Kneeling Man
Jul 29, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Japan Has Big Issue With Statue of a Kneeling Man
Tokyo questions whether bronze figure in South Korean garden represents Shinzo Abe
- A pair of new statues in South Korea of a man kneeling in front of a girl symbolizing a victim of sexual slavery by Japan's wartime military is the latest subject of diplomatic sensitivity between the countries, with Tokyo's government spokesperson questioning whether the male figure represents the...
Virus Was Under
Control. Now, 'Cries
Apr 18, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Japan Thought Virus Was Under Control. Now, 'Cries of Desperation'
COVID-19 infections are surging, country's emergency medical system is collapsing
- Hospitals in Japan are increasingly turning away sick people as the country struggles with surging coronavirus infections and its emergency medical system collapses. In one recent case, an ambulance carrying a man with a fever and difficulty breathing was rejected by 80 hospitals and forced to search for hours for...
For First Time, Olympics Will
Be Held in an Odd Year
Mar 24, 2020 8:35 AM CDT
For First Time, Olympics Will Be Held in an Odd Year
Japan Prime Minister Abe, IOC head in '100% agreement' games must be postponed till 2021
- Serious rumblings of a postponement of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo began over the weekend , and are now official. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe spoke to International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach by phone on Tuesday, and the two agreed that putting off the Games...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.