Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
South China Sea
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Offending Image' Keeps
Out of Vietnam
Jul 3, 2023 11:39 AM CDT
'Offending Image' Keeps
Out of Vietnam
Nation takes issue with map seen in film that shows China's claims to South China Sea territory
- Greta Gerwig's
may be one of the most-anticipated movies of the summer, but some Southeast Asia residents awaiting its debut will now have to travel over the border to see it. Reuters reports that the film starring Margot Robbie in the title role and Ryan Gosling as sidekick...
May 29, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Malaysia Thinks Chinese Barge Was Looting WWII Warships
Chinese-registered vessel busted on suspicion of illegally salvaging 2 UK shipwrecks
- Malaysia's maritime agency said Monday it found a cannon shell believed to be from World War II on a Chinese-registered vessel and was investigating if the barge carrier was involved in the looting of two British warship wrecks in the South China Sea. Illegal salvage operators were believed to...
Crew Members Missing
After Typhoon Breaks Up Ship
Jul 3, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
Crew Members Missing After Typhoon Breaks Up Ship
Rescuers search for 27 in South China Sea
- Three crew members were saved in dramatic rescues, but 27 more are missing after a ship broke up in a typhoon in the South China Sea near Hong Kong. Rescuers from the Honk Kong Government Flying Service were dispatched Saturday morning to search for survivors, using helicopters and planes. The...
Restaurant That Supposedly
Sank May Still Be Afloat
Jun 24, 2022 7:03 AM CDT
Restaurant That Supposedly Sank May Still Be Afloat
Clarification from owners of HK's iconic Jumbo says it's 'still in the waters' in South China Sea
- A clarification has been issued on a floating Hong Kong restaurant that appeared to have met its demise earlier this week while being towed to Cambodia for refurbishing—though the clarification isn't terribly clear, either. Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises Limited, owner of the 46-year-old Jumbo Floating Restaurant, now suggests the...
Retrieval of Sunken F35
Is 'Vitally Important' for US
in case you missed it
Jan 30, 2022 12:45 PM CST
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Chinese submarines might beat US salvage vessel to South China Sea site
- The echoes of the Cold War in the search for a US fighter jet that crashed in international waters are so strong that one defense consultant describes it as "
The Hunt for Red October
." Abi Austen tells the BBC that an American salvage vessel is...
Navy Scrambles to Retrieve
Jet From Bottom of Sea
Jan 26, 2022 12:24 PM CST
Navy Scrambles to Retrieve Jet From Bottom of Sea
Analysts say China might to try claim F35 fighter in South China Sea
: The Navy is scrambling to retrieve an F35 fighter jet that ended up at the bottom of the South China Sea after crash-landing on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier Monday. It's not clear exactly where the crash happened, but CNN describes the sea as...
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub
Hit Underwater Mountain
Nov 2, 2021 12:11 PM CDT
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub Hit Underwater Mountain
USS Connecticut was in the South China Sea at the time
The mystery over an accident involving a US submarine in the South China Sea has been solved: The USS Connecticut smashed into an underwater mountain that wasn't on the charts, reports CBS News . Eleven sailors were injured in the collision last month, and the sub had to sail...
Kamala Harris Has a Warning
for China Over 'Intimidation'
Aug 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kamala Harris Has a Warning for China Over 'Intimidation'
Vice president delivered rebuke from Singapore on Tuesday on nation's actions in South China Sea
- Vice President Kamala Harris delivered a sharp rebuke to China for its incursions in the South China Sea, warning its actions there amount to "coercion" and "intimidation" and affirming that the US will support its allies in the region against Beijing's advances. "We know that Beijing...
US Rejects China's
South China Sea Claims
Jul 13, 2020 5:07 PM CDT
US Rejects China's South China Sea Claims
'The world will not allow Beijing to treat the South China Sea as its maritime empire'
- The Trump administration escalated its actions against China on Monday by stepping squarely into one of the most sensitive regional issues dividing them and rejecting outright nearly all of Beijing’s significant maritime claims in the South China Sea. The administration presented the decision as an attempt to curb China’...
America Enters New
'Cold War' Arms Race
May 6, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
America Enters New 'Cold War' Arms Race
China tells the US to back off its new military plan
- America is answering China's missile supremacy by planning to deploy—you guessed it—a lot more missiles. Reuters reports that the Pentagon wants to arm Marines with Tomahawk cruise missiles and hasten a rare order of long-range anti-ship missiles, all to counter China's lead in land-based ballistic and...
Philippines Is Ending
Security Pact With US
Feb 11, 2020 2:29 AM CST
Philippines Is Ending Security Pact With US
Agreement allowed US forces to train in the country
- The Philippines notified the United States on Tuesday it intends to end a major security pact allowing American forces to train in the country. Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said in a tweet Manila’s notice of termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement was received by the deputy chief of...
Tense International Encounter
Unfolds in South China Sea
Oct 1, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Tense International Encounter Unfolds in South China Sea
A US Destroyer was aggressively approached by a Chinese warship
- A tense encounter unfolded Sunday between US and Chinese vessels in the South China Sea. Per CNN , the American destroyer USS Decatur was aggressively approached by a Chinese warship while conducting what are called freedom of navigation operations in the Spratly Islands. in a statement, Capt. Charles Brown with the...
Mother Nature Is About to Put
Longest Sea Bridge to the Test
Sep 14, 2018 10:43 AM CDT
Mother Nature Is About to Put Longest Sea Bridge to the Test
Super Typhoon Mangkhut will show what the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge can withstand
- At 34 miles, it's the world's longest bridge to cross a sea—an impressive $20 billion effort that will soon undergo its first major challenge from Mother Nature. The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge is right in the sights of Super Typhoon Mangkhut, a powerful storm system that's headed...
China Warns US Navy
Plane: 'Leave Immediately'
Aug 10, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
China Warns US Navy Plane: 'Leave Immediately'
Reconnaissance aircraft was flying over man-made islands in South China Sea
- The last time a CNN crew got to fly over the South China Sea with the US Navy was in 2015, when a stern warning was issued by China's military to keep away from what it says is China's territory. On Friday, CNN got another "rare look"...
After China Landed This
Bomber, the US Made a Move
May 24, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
After China Landed This Bomber, the US Made a Move
Its RIMPAC Exercise invite is no more
- Every two years, the US holds what has become the world's largest maritime warfare exercise off Hawaii. The Rim of the Pacific Exercise, or RIMPAC Exercise, reached a zenith in 2016, with 26 countries and 25,000 personnel involved—a record. It was China's second time participating, having...
Nuke-Capable Bombers Land
on South China Sea Island
May 19, 2018 9:34 AM CDT
Nuke-Capable Bombers Land on South China Sea Island
Long-range H-6K bombers train there for the first time
- The Chinese air force has landed long-range, nuclear-capable bombers for the first time at an airport in the South China Sea, a state newspaper said Saturday, in a move likely to further fuel concerns about Beijing's expansive claims over the disputed region. The
newspaper says that the...
China Issues Warning to US
Over Guided Missile Destroyer
Jan 20, 2018 4:03 PM CST
China Issues Warning to US Over Guided Missile Destroyer
'We hope that the US respects China's sovereignty'
- The Chinese government on Saturday accused the US of trespassing in its territorial waters when a US guided missile destroyer sailed near a disputed shoal in the South China Sea, the AP reports. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said China would take "necessary measures" to protect its sovereignty...
Where WWII Shipwrecks
Once Sat, Now Nothing
Nov 3, 2017 10:34 AM CDT
Where WWII Shipwrecks Once Sat, Now Nothing
Divers removing entire shipwrecks for their scrap metal: Guardian
- The telling sign is a crane barge floating above. Once its divers inspect the shipwreck below, they lower explosives that rip it to shreds of steel, copper, and brass. This is how as many as 40 British, American, Australian, Dutch, and Japanese warships from World War II—which also serve...
China Torqued by
US Warship in
South China Sea
Jul 3, 2017 8:44 AM CDT
China Torqued by US Warship in South China Sea
'Serious political and military provocation,' China says of USS Stethem presence
- The US is "deliberately [stirring] up troubles" in the South China Sea, a rep from China's Foreign Affairs Ministry said Sunday in a statement , referring to an incident it's calling a "serious political and military provocation." Per the BBC , that alleged provocation was the USS...
As US Carrier Enters
South China Sea,
What's Trump's Move?
Feb 20, 2017 8:47 AM CST
As US Carrier Enters South China Sea, What's Trump's Move?
'Navy Times' reports the Navy wants him to OK freedom of navigation operation
- The US Navy wants to embark upon a fresh freedom of navigation operation around China's man-made islands in the South China Sea , in what would be the first under President Trump, the
reports, citing defense officials. The operation would most likely be carried out by the San...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.