Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It'll Be Years Before You See
Another Comet Like This One
Feb 1, 2023 8:41 AM CST
It'll Be Years Before You See Another Comet Like This One
Green comet C/2022 E3 will be best spotted as it passes by Earth this week
- A green comet is passing by Earth for the first time since Neanderthals walked the planet and could be spotted by the naked eye. Believed to have been born in the farthest reaches of the solar system in an icy world dubbed the Oort cloud, C/2022 E3 is thought to...
Giant Bear Face on Mars
Jan 26, 2023 9:20 AM CST
NASA Explains Giant Bear Face on Mars
Hey there, Pooh?
- There's a giant bear on Mars—or rather a rock formation that looks remarkably like one. NASA shared the intriguing image, captured last month by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, in a Wednesday release . Taken from 156 miles above Mars' southern hemisphere, it shows two circular craters above a muzzle-shaped...
Audio Sent Back From
Mars Is First of Its Kind
Dec 14, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Audio Sent Back From Mars Is First of Its Kind
NASA's Perseverance rover got caught in a dust devil and recorded what it sounded like
- NASA's Perseverance rover was caught in a dust devil on Mars. As a result, we have the first-ever recording of a Martian dust devil, this one more than 400 feet tall and 80 feet across, per the AP . Martian dust devils are common, particularly at Perseverance's landing site...
Still Faces One of
Its Biggest Trials
Nov 29, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Outstanding' Orion Still Faces One of Its Biggest Trials
Dec. 11 entry into Earth's atmosphere will test its heat shield
- NASA's Orion spacecraft has reached its maximum distance from Earth, a record-setting 268,563 miles. The spacecraft that launched Nov. 16 reached the halfway point in its 26-day mission on Monday as it looped around the moon. It was 43,138 miles beyond the far side of the moon,...
Oct 12, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
Rocket Ordered to Self-Destruct Minutes After Liftoff
Japan's space agency is investigating failure of Epsilon-6 satellite-carrying rocket
- A Japanese rocket carrying eight satellites was ordered to self-destruct minutes after liftoff in the biggest failure for Japan's space agency in nearly 20 years. The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency—JAXA—said in a statement that the self-destruction command was sent to the Epsilon-6 rocket because it had "...
He Was a Space Tourist
in 2001. He's Going Back
Oct 12, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
He Was a Space Tourist in 2001. He's Going Back
Dennis and Akito Tito to board SpaceX's second commercial flight around the moon
- Dennis Tito hopes to become a space tourist once again. The 82-year-old aerospace engineer-turned-financial analyst who paid $20 million to Russia for a trip to the International Space Station in 2001 says he and his 57-year-old wife Akito have signed up for a SpaceX flight around the moon. Though it'...
Here's Visual Proof That
Our Asteroid Slam Worked
Oct 5, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
Here's Visual Proof That Our Asteroid Slam Worked
DART's collision with Dimorphos asteroid confirmed by 6.2K-mile-long debris trail
- Astronomers know for certain that NASA's DART spacecraft slammed into a distant asteroid in a test of whether Earth-threatening space rocks might be diverted, because that asteroid is spewing a whole lot of rock and dust. Two days after the Sept. 26 Double Asteroid Redirection Test, a telescope in...
'Pretty Good Story' May
Explain Saturn's Rings
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
'Pretty Good Story' May Explain Saturn's Rings
Scientists think one of its moons may have exploded eons ago
- Saturn's rings are made from the guts of a vanished moon that got a bit too close to the planet. That's the conclusion of a new study that claims not only to explain the formation of the rings but also the significant tilt at which the solar system'...
Chance of Seeing
Aurora From US
Just Went Up
Aug 18, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Chance of Seeing Aurora From US Just Went Up
Strong geomagnetic storm could put on a show in some states
- US skywatchers could be in for a rare sight: The northern lights could be seen as far south as Pennsylvania over the next several days amid the potential for a strong geomagnetic storm. Beginning Sunday, the sun sent out various bursts, including multiple coronal mass ejections, or CMEs, which Live...
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 7:08 AM CDT
'Alien Obelisk' Actually Fell From Space
Piece likely jettisoned from SpaceX Dragon capsule fell in southern Australia last month
- From a distance, Mick Miners thought the strange object on his expansive sheep farm in Australia might have been a blackened dead tree. Experts say it's actually something far more exciting: a 9-foot-long chunk of a SpaceX capsule—one of the few pieces of space debris to fall to...
China Causes a Fuss With
Deleted Report on Aliens
Jun 16, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
China Causes a Fuss With Deleted Report on Aliens
State media reported scientists detected some unusual signals, but US scientist throws cold water on UFO theory
- Does China have evidence of alien life? Don't bet on it, but that's the unusual question in play after a state-run news site reported, then deleted a story claiming scientists with access to the world's largest and most sensitive radio telescope had uncovered possible signals from alien...
Apr 27, 2022 2:58 PM CDT
Venus, Jupiter to Converge This Weekend
Planets' conjunction best viewed early Saturday
- Despite being millions of miles apart, Venus and Jupiter appear to meet in the night sky about once a year in what's known as a conjunction. But skywatchers who take in the sight this year are in for a real treat, as the planets will appear much closer than...
At Auction: Moon Dust
Collected by Neil Armstrong
Apr 13, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
At Auction: Moon Dust Collected by Neil Armstrong
It'll be quite a payday for Illinois collector Nancy Lee Carlson
- A rare piece—or rather pieces—of space history are about to go to the highest bidder. Five samples of moon dust collected by Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, during the 1969 Apollo 11 mission will be sold at a Bonhams auction on Wednesday. Thought...
Scientists Baffled by
Neptune's Temperature Swings
Apr 12, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Scientists Baffled by Neptune's Temperature Swings
Temps should be 'slowly growing warmer, not colder' amid southern summer
- Neptune's southern hemisphere has spent the last 17 years in its summer season, yet global temperatures have plummeted. It's a head-scratching finding that leaves astronomers with more questions than answers. "Since we have been observing Neptune during its early southern summer, we would expect temperatures to be...
He Discovered an
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
He Discovered an Asteroid—Then Its Earth-Bound Path
It soon after struck Earth's atmosphere over Norwegian sea, as NASA system predicted
- An asteroid was spotted for the first time Friday only about two hours before it entered into Earth's atmosphere. NASA's early warning system that detects near-Earth objects was put to the test after astronomer Krisztián Sarneczky at the Piszkésteto Observatory in northern Hungary notified the Minor...
It'll Look Like
Mar 2, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Here's What It'll Look Like When Rocket Crashes Into Moon
Moon dust to fly hundreds of miles from impact crater, which is expected to be quite large
- The moon is about to get walloped by 3 tons of space junk, a punch that will carve out a crater that could fit several semitractor-trailers. A leftover rocket will smash into the far side of the moon at 5,800mph on Friday, away from telescopes' prying eyes, the AP...
China: Rocket Set to
Crash Into Moon Isn't Ours
Feb 23, 2022 6:45 AM CST
China: Rocket Set to Crash Into Moon Isn't Ours
Experts disagree, say Chang'e-5T1 booster will make impact March 4
- China is denying responsibility for a wayward rocket expected to crash into the far side of the moon next month. Though the rocket was initially misidentified as a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that failed to return to Earth after launching a weather satellite in 2015, experts— including those at NASA'...
40 of 49 New SpaceX
Satellites May Have
Feb 9, 2022 12:30 PM CST
40 of 49 New SpaceX Satellites May Have Already Burned
Company says geomagnetic storm on Friday is cause
- SpaceX launched 49 of its Starlink satellites on Thursday, only to report days later that up to 40 are doomed to fall from orbit and burn up in Earth's atmosphere. The company attributed the loss to a geomagnetic storm on Friday. That storm increased atmospheric density some 130 miles...
'Spooky' Find Could
Be New Kind of Star
Jan 27, 2022 11:18 AM CST
'Spooky' Find Could Be New Kind of Star
Signals never observed before may point to ultra-long period magnetar
- Something in our galaxy was emitting radio wave beams every 20 minutes, unlike anything observed before, and astronomers think they know what it is. "It's definitely not aliens," says Natasha Hurley-Walker, radio astronomer and lead author of a study on the mysterious object, published in the journal...
Touched the Sun'
Dec 15, 2021 8:04 AM CST
'Humanity Has Touched the Sun'
Scientists confirm the Parker Solar Probe flew through the corona
- A NASA spacecraft has officially "touched" the sun, plunging through the unexplored solar atmosphere known as the corona. The Parker Solar Probe actually flew through the corona in April during the spacecraft’s eighth close approach to the sun. Scientists said it took a few months to get the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.