Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2020 Deniers Wanting to
Run Elections Hit a Snag
Nov 13, 2022 5:15 PM CST
2020 Deniers Wanting to Run Elections Hit a Snag
Nevada Republican who led slate of candidates in other states loses his own race
- Jim Marchant told supporters that if he were elected secretary of state for Nevada, Donald Trump would be president again. To make sure the 2024 vote elsewhere goes the same way, Marchant put together a slate of candidates for the top election office in battleground states, the
New York Times
They Ran in
Now, McCain's 'Gut
Punch' to Palin
May 11, 2018 1:32 PM CDT
They Ran in 2008 Together. Now, McCain's 'Gut Punch' to Palin
She says it's painful to hear that he regrets picking her as a running mate
- John McCain promised he'd be speaking his mind more as he faces down his terminal brain cancer, and he has offered one such blunt insight in his new memoir: that when he ran for president in 2008, he should've ignored advisers' advice and picked independent Sen. Joe Lieberman...
Hid Support for
Feb 10, 2015 9:58 AM CST
Axelrod: Obama Hid Support for Gay Marriage in 2008
He was uncomfortable with his altered stance, writes top aide
- It seems President Obama backed gay marriage long before he told us he was "evolving" . In fact, during the 2008 campaign—while he asserted that marriage was between "a man and a woman"—his private views were quite different, writes former top aide David Axelrod in his...
Clinton Has a Spreadsheet
of Dems Who Crossed Her
Jan 13, 2014 7:30 AM CST
Clinton Has a Spreadsheet of Dems Who Crossed Her
John Kerry, Ted Kennedy listed as '7s'
- Hillary Clinton doesn't just remember who her friends and enemies are—she has a database. As her 2008 campaign wound down, two of her closest advisers created what Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes dramatically term a "political hit list" in an excerpt from their new book at Politico...
I'm Happy to
Cling to Guns,
Aug 21, 2012 2:06 PM CDT
Paul Ryan: I'm Happy to Cling to Guns, Religion
VP candidate talks 2008 Obama gaffe on campaign trail
- Paul Ryan reminded voters at a Pennsylvania steel plant today of President Obama's campaign-trail gaffes—from 2008. "Remember this other time when he said people want to cling to their guns and religion ?" said Ryan, who has frequently brought up his Catholic faith on the campaign trail....
on Palin Comments
Aug 7, 2012 12:58 AM CDT
Cheney Backtracks on Palin Comments
He claims he was criticizing process, not Alaskan
- Dick Cheney appears to have decided that picking a fight with Sarah Palin isn't a good idea. Speaking to Fox's Sean Hannity, Cheney backtracked from his earlier comment that John McCain's decision to run with Palin was a mistake . The comment "wasn’t aimed so much...
Romney's Likely VP Pick:
'Incredibly Boring White Guy'
inside his strategy
May 14, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
Romney's Likely VP Pick: 'Incredibly Boring White Guy'
Campaign aims to do the opposite of McCain
- Team Romney’s rule of thumb: Do the opposite of everything John McCain did in 2008, or so reports Politico in a look at the campaign's strategy. The approach applies broadly, say advisers—focus hugely on the economy, fully engage in fundraising, integrate early with the Republican National Committee—...
Apr 11, 2012 10:06 AM CDT
John Edwards Repays $2.1M to Taxpayers
He had received the public matching funds after dropping out of race
- John Edwards' campaign has repaid more than $2.1 million in public matching funds it received after the Democrat ended his bid for the 2008 Democratic nomination. An FEC rep confirmed yesterday that the agency had received the money. The bipartisan election commission ruled unanimously last year that Edwards was...
Was 'My Goal'
Mar 12, 2012 11:05 AM CDT
Michael Steele: Brokered Convention Was 'My Goal'
Ex-GOP chair aimed for a more exciting primary season
- As the GOP nomination process drags on, odds against Republicans seem to be increasing: Voter turnout has dropped, and independents are fleeing Mitt Romney. Turns out, however, that the lengthy contest is just what the former GOP head sought in the first place. "I wanted a brokered convention,"...
'game change' reax
Mar 12, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
Steve Schmidt: Palin as President 'Frightens Me'
Former McCain strategist calls 'Game Change' 'very accurate'
- Steve Schmidt, the former John McCain campaign strategist portrayed by Woody Harrelson in HBO's
, pulled no punches when describing his reaction to the book on MSNBC this morning. "I think it was very accurate. For all of us in the campaign, it really rang true. It...
Mar 11, 2012 9:54 AM CDT
'I'm not going to watch it,' says Arizona senator
- Maybe John McCain also wanted Brad Pitt to play him , but he's certainly no fan of
, deriding the movie based on his 2008 presidential campaign to
Fox News Sunday
as "based on a book that's completely biased and with unattributed quotes. I'm not going...
Feb 1, 2012 9:31 AM CST
And Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin is still pretty scary: reactions
- If you thought Julianne Moore's Sarah Palin was terrifying in the first
teaser , wait until you see her in the full trailer, where she utters lines such as, "We have to win this thing. I
don’t want to go back to Alaska." Watch...
Dec 22, 2011 11:04 AM CST
Trailer Stars Terrifying Sarah Palin
HBO debuts first teaser
- For all of you who have spent the past nine months wondering how Julianne Moore’s Sarah Palin impersonation will stack up against Tina Fey’s , you finally have your answer. HBO debuted its first teaser trailer for
, the film due in March that's based on the...
Most Popular National Politician Today Is ...
Sep 16, 2011 12:32 PM CDT
Most Popular National Politician Today Is ...
Hillary Clinton, as 'buyer's remorse' plagues a third of the country
- The most popular politician nationwide is the one that got away: Hillary Clinton. Nearly two-thirds of the country sees the secretary of state favorably, and a third are battling what Bloomberg terms “buyer’s remorse” over not electing her president. Just over a year ago, only a quarter of...
Edwards Moves to
Sep 7, 2011 8:29 AM CDT
Edwards Moves to Dismiss Case
Lawyers argue case is 'about politics,' not the law
- The case against John Edwards is political, not criminal, and should be dismissed, lawyers for the onetime presidential candidate said yesterday in a hefty court filing. “While much can be said in questioning how Mr. Edwards conducted himself throughout this saga, the allegations… that he violated campaign finance laws...
Jun 9, 2011 2:21 AM CDT
William Kristol: Rudy Giuliani Will Run
Former mayor not skipping New Hampshire this time, sources say
- Rudy Giuliani is getting ready to enter the race for the Republican presidential nomination, according to
editor William Kristol, who cites "two reliable sources." The deep-pocketed former mayor of New York City has learned some lessons from his disastrous 2008 bid, when he withdrew to Florida...
Palin Nabs Obama's ... Font
Jun 3, 2011 11:11 AM CDT
Palin Nabs Obama's ... Font
Gotham typeface helped him win in 2008: experts
- Sarah Palin seems to be in firm agreement with President Obama on at least one issue: effective campaign fonts. On her website , the former Alaska governor has taken to using the Gotham font that experts say helped propel Obama to victory in 2008, the
reports. “I think...
Sarah Palin on 2008 Loss:
'I Wasn't at Top of Ticket'
Mar 19, 2011 8:22 PM CDT
Sarah Palin on 2008 Loss: 'I Wasn't at Top of Ticket'
Asked about losing to Barack Obama while in India
- Republicans might have fared better in 2008 if Sarah Palin was atop the ticket—suggests Sarah Palin. While speaking today at the India Today Conclave, the former Alaska governor was asked why Republicans couldn't defeat Barack Obama in the election, reports the
. She tipped her hat to Obama's strong...
Mar 10, 2011 4:21 AM CST
Julianne Moore to Play Sarah Palin
Moore playing Wasillan in HBO's Game Change
- Maybe Tina Fey was busy. HBO has announced that it has signed Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin in its upcoming film
, based on the best-selling book that dished behind-the-scenes dirt on the 2008 presidential campaign. No word yet on who'll be playing John McCain, Barack Obama, Hillary...
2008 All Over Again: Obama
to Base Campaign in Chicago
Dec 28, 2010 7:51 AM CST
2008 All Over Again: Obama to Base Campaign in Chicago
First reelection bid outside DC in recent memory
- President Obama’s reelection campaign will likely be based in Chicago, not Washington—a rare move for a sitting president, and one that his advisers hope will help him rekindle the energy of 2008, Politico notes. Usually, campaigns are kept close to the president’s DC home, where they’re...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.