Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coast Guard: We
Found 4 Missing Divers
Aug 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Coast Guard: We Found 4 Missing Divers
Men rescued Sunday off coast of North Carolina in the 'graveyard of the Atlantic'
- The Coast Guard has an update on four divers who went missing over the weekend off the coast of North Carolina, and it's a good one: The men have been found alive, reports CNN . An early Monday post from USCG Mid-Atlantic on X, formerly known as Twitter, noted that...
2 Divers Found Alive
4 Days After Drifting
Away From Boat
Apr 9, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
2 Divers Found Alive 4 Days After Drifting Away From Boat
But it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy
- Two divers were rescued by fishermen on Saturday four days after they disappeared off a southern Malaysian island and drifted some 70 nautical miles, but it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy. Alexia Alexandra Molina, 18, of France and Adrian Peter Chesters, 46, of Britain, were found early...
Why Diver Laura Wilkinson
Captured Everyone's Hearts
Jun 16, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Why Diver Laura Wilkinson Captured Everyone's Hearts
It was about the journey as much as the destination for the Olympic hopeful
- There's nothing surprising about a former Olympic gold medalist trying to secure a place in the Tokyo Games—with one exception, maybe. That would be Laura Wilkinson, who on Sunday finished 10th in the women's 10-meter platform finals (watch one of her dives here ), meaning she won'...
The 13-Year-Old Was New
to Diving, Made a Big Find
Jun 6, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
The 13-Year-Old Was New to Diving, Made a Big Find
Outside Online has the story of a prosthetic leg lost and found
- Sebastian Morris was hoping to do as his father had done. The 13-year-old Florida boy had been captivated by some of the finds his dad uncovered as a commercial diver, including a 300-year-old shipwreck he discovered in the Black Sea in 2019. On May 4, 2020, the father and son...
Whale's Deep Dive Stuns: 'Not
Supposed to Be Able to Do This'
Sep 24, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Whale's Deep Dive Stuns: 'Not Supposed to Be Able to Do This'
Cuvier's beaked whale goes under for a record 3 hours, 42 minutes without coming up for air
- It's a mystery how Cuvier's beaked whales go so long without a gulp of air. Based on its body size and metabolism, scientists originally thought the whale would need to resurface every 33 minutes. But one beaked whale just went seven times as long underwater—3 hours, 42...
2 Theories Emerge
in Dive Boat Tragedy
Sep 5, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
2 Theories Emerge in Dive Boat Tragedy
Diver points to phone-charging station in galley; Conception designer thinks it began in bunk room
- A crew member who escaped the Conception dive boat almost immediately suspected a galley charging station as the source of the blaze. Shirley Hansen, who assisted survivors of California's worst maritime disaster since the 1800s from her boat near Santa Cruz Island on Monday, says the crew member described...
5 Members of Same Family
Among Dive Boat Fire Victims
Sep 4, 2019 3:42 AM CDT
5 Members of Same Family Among Dive Boat Fire Victims
Charter school students also presumed dead in Conception disaster
- Five members of a California family are among the 34 people dead or presumed dead in Monday's devastating fire on a diving boat off Santa Cruz Island. Susana Rosas says her three daughters—Evanmichel Solano Quitasol, Nicole Storm Quitasol, and Angela Rose Quitasol—were on the Conception, along with...
25 Confirmed Dead
in California Boat Fire
Sep 3, 2019 2:22 AM CDT
25 Confirmed Dead in California Boat Fire
Search for survivors will continue overnight
- At least 25 people have now been confirmed dead in a horrific fire on a diving boat off southern California early Monday. Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Matthew Kroll says the search will continue overnight for nine people still missing in one of the worst maritime disasters in the state's...
'I Can't Breathe'
Sep 2, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Diving Boat Mayday Caller: 'I Can't Breathe'
34 are missing after the Conception catches fire, sinks
- The search continues—but four bodies have turned up since a commercial diving boat caught fire off the California coast Monday and sank with 34 people apparently on board, the AP reports. Passengers of the Conception were said to be trapped below deck as flames engulfed the 75-foot vessel. Ventura...
Wife Dead, Husband Missing in
Lake Michigan Diving Accident
Jul 1, 2019 2:07 AM CDT
Wife Dead, Husband Missing in Lake Michigan Diving Accident
Man who failed to surface is presumed dead
- An Illinois woman is dead and her husband is missing, presumed dead after a diving accident in Lake Michigan off the shore of Milwaukee, officials say. The Coast Guard says Susan and James Winn, both 53, were diving with three others around 17 miles from the shore on Friday, Fox...
Scientists Heading to One of
the Last 'Unexplored Frontiers'
Jan 24, 2019 7:20 AM CST
Scientists Heading to One of the Last 'Unexplored Frontiers'
Nekton Mission will investigate Indian Ocean ecosystems
- Scientists prepared Thursday to embark on an unprecedented, years-long mission to explore the Indian Ocean and document changes taking place beneath the waves that could affect billions of people in the surrounding region over the coming decades. The ambitious expedition will delve into one of the last major unexplored frontiers...
Renowned Safety Diver
Dies During a Rescue
Jul 26, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
Renowned Safety Diver Dies During a Rescue
Stephen Keenan went to aid fellow diver, then blacked out
- He was considered one of the best, if not
best, safety divers in the world, and Stephen Keenan died after coming to the rescue of a fellow diver. The 39-year-old Dublin native died over the weekend at the dangerous Dahab Blue Hole in Egypt, reports Deeper Blue . Keenan was...
How the Search for an Elusive
Fish Led to Filmmaker's Death
Feb 8, 2017 4:44 PM CST
How the Search for an Elusive Fish Led to Filmmaker's Death
Rob Stewart disappeared while diving off the Florida Keys
- On Jan. 31, Rob Stewart surfaced from his third dive of the day off the Florida Keys and gave the OK sign. Three days later, the award-winning documentary filmmaker's body was found on the ocean floor .
dives into what went wrong and the one question that persists following...
Body of Filmmaker Who
Disappeared in Florida Found
Feb 4, 2017 10:55 AM CST
Body of Filmmaker Who Disappeared in Florida Found
Rob Stewart was diving in the Florida Keys when his crew lost sight of him
- The body of an award-winning Canadian filmmaker was found Friday, three days after he disappeared while diving in the Florida Keys, the BBC reports. Rob Stewart, 37, was diving at the site of a shipwreck Tuesday while filming a sequel to his 2006 documentary
. He disappeared after surfacing following...
First the Medal,
Then the Ring
Aug 15, 2016 12:44 AM CDT
First the Medal, Then the Ring
He Zi of China accepts proposal from boyfriend and fellow diver Qin Kai
- Love is in the air at the Olympic diving pool. He Zi of China settled for silver in women's 3-meter springboard on Sunday before accepting another prize: an engagement ring. Boyfriend and fellow diver Qin Kai surprised her with a marriage proposal as she stepped off the medal podium....
Lives to Find
Sep 5, 2015 1:18 PM CDT
Divers Risk Lives to Find the World's Deepest Cave
Team hopes to prove Czech cave bests current record holder in Italy
- Polish divers are putting their lives on the line to prove an underwater cave in the Czech Republic is the deepest in the world—hundreds of feet lower than depths survivable by humans,
reports. Krzysztof Starnawski, leader of the dive team, has been exploring the Hranická Propast cave...
Jun 15, 2014 3:00 PM CDT
'Creeping Crud' Among Risks When Living Underwater
Fabien Cousteau and his team to stay below for 31 days
- The health risks of deep-sea diving are one thing—but imagine living underwater for 31 days in a lab no bigger than your average bachelor apartment. That's what Jacques Cousteau's grandson, Fabien Cousteau, and five others are doing in Aquarius, the world's last undersea research lab. They...
Mar 29, 2014 11:19 AM CDT
Deepest-Diving Mammal on Planet Named
Study finds Cuvier's beaked whale swims down almost 2 miles
- Cuvier's beaked whales are a rare sight—perhaps because they appear to be the deepest-diving mammals in existence. In a new study, researchers found that the creatures were able to reach a depth of nearly 1.9 miles, Reuters reports. In another record-breaking dive, a beaked whale was able...
NY Man Drowns
Trying to Break
Nov 18, 2013 5:37 AM CST
NY Man Drowns Trying to Break Dive Record
Nicholas Mevoli was one of 56 divers in Bahamas contest
- Detectives in the Bahamas are investigating the drowning of a 32-year-old man from New York who was participating in a free diving tournament, police said yesterday. Event organizer William Trubridge identified the man as Nicholas Mevoli of Brooklyn. Trubridge said Mevoli was trying to break a record for the deepest...
There's Sunken Treasure
Off Massachusetts: Explorer
Sep 25, 2013 11:10 AM CDT
There's Sunken Treasure Off Massachusetts: Explorer
He thinks pirate ship could have been carrying 400K coins
- Avast, me hearties, and hear the tale of an undersea explorer named Barry Clifford, who believes he's closing in on 400,000 coins languishing at the bottom of Davy Jones' locker. As the AP explains, the Whydah sank off Massachusetts in 1717, along with riches plundered from 50 other...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.