Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New York City Subway
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fox Meteorologist Says Teens
Beat Him Up on NYC Subway
Jan 23, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Fox Meteorologist Says Teens Beat Him Up on NYC Subway
'Where's the city?' asks Adam Klotz
- Fox News meteorologist Adam Klotz says he is doing OK after being beaten up by teenagers on the New York City subway over the weekend. But he has some questions, including, "Why is the weather guy on the train trying to stop crime in the middle of the night?"...
'Prophet of Doom' Pleads
Guilty in NYC Subway Attack
Jan 3, 2023 5:39 PM CST
'Prophet of Doom' Pleads Guilty in NYC Subway Attack
Frank James could face decades in prison on federal terrorism charges
- A man who opened fire on a Brooklyn subway train last year, wounding 10 passengers in a rush-hour attack that shocked New York City, pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal terrorism charges. Frank James, who had posted online that he was the "Prophet of Doom," appeared in a Brooklyn...
Man Dies in
in NYC Subway
Oct 25, 2022 2:53 PM CDT
Man Dies in Freak Accident in NYC Subway
He was reportedly running for the train, didn't make it
- The latest tragedy to occur in the New York City subway wasn't a crime but rather a horrible accident. The
New York Daily News
reports it involves a 20-year-old man who was on the Upper West Side trying to board a southbound train at the 59th Street Columbus Circle...
3 Convictions Tossed in
Notorious 1995 NYC Murder
Jul 15, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
3 Convictions Tossed in Notorious 1995 NYC Murder
Men were convicted of setting fire to booth of toll clerk
- After decades in prison, three men were cleared Friday in one of the most horrifying crimes of New York’s violent 1990s—the killing of a clerk who was set on fire in a subway toll booth, per the AP . A judge dismissed the murder convictions of Vincent Ellerbe, James...
Subway Rider Killed After
Pants Get Snagged in Door
Jun 16, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Subway Rider Killed After Pants Get Snagged in Door
NYPD is investigating early morning fatal accident
- A rider on the New York City subway is dead after a freak accident Wednesday night—his pants got snagged in the doors of the train, reports the
. Police say 37-year-old Marcus Bryant was getting off a train at a Brooklyn station when his pants, and possibly his...
Man Fatally Shot on
NYC Subway in
May 23, 2022 12:57 AM CDT
Man Fatally Shot on NYC Subway in Unprovoked Attack
Sunday shooting appears to be random, police say
- As a 48-year-old man was seated in the last car of a subway en route from Brooklyn to Manhattan Sunday morning, he was fatally shot by another subway rider in what appears to have been a random attack. Witnesses told police that as the train crossed the Manhattan Bridge, the...
Attorney for Subway Suspect:
Avoid 'Rush to Judgment'
Apr 14, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
Attorney for Subway Suspect: Avoid 'Rush to Judgment'
Frank James was ordered held without bail
New York City subway shooting suspect Frank James was ordered held without bail on Thursday. The 62-year-old had a "subdued demeanor" in a court appearance as he quietly answered questions and acknowledged that he understood the charges against him, per the AP . Later, defense attorney Mia Eisner-Grynberg cautioned...
Report: Frank James Called
Crime Stoppers on Himself
Apr 13, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Report: Frank James Called Crime Stoppers on Himself
He faces federal terrorism charge
- The call to a tip line that led to the arrest of New York City mass shooting suspect Frank James came from somebody who definitely won't be able to collect the $50,000 reward, law enforcement sources tell the AP and NBC New York . The sources say it was...
'Person of Interest'
in Subway Attack
Apr 12, 2022 7:38 PM CDT
NYPD Names 'Person of Interest' in Subway Attack
Frank James allegedly rented U-Haul truck linked to attack
This story has been updated with new developments
. Police have named Frank James as a person of interest in Tuesday morning's New York City subway attack . The 62-year-old, who is still at large, allegedly rented a U-Haul truck linked to the attack, NBC New York reports. Police say James...
What We Know About
the NYC Subway Attack
Apr 12, 2022 12:32 PM CDT
What We Know About the NYC Subway Attack
10 people were shot, and assailant is still at large
- Details are clarifying about the rush-hour attack on a New York City subway train Tuesday morning. One big detail: While at least 16 people were injured, none of their injuries are believed to be life-threatening.
Investigators suspect a lone assailant first set off a smoke canister in a
FDNY: 13 Injured in NYC
Apr 12, 2022 9:18 AM CDT
FDNY: 13 Injured in NYC Subway Shooting
Multiple people shot and undetonated devices found, say authorities
(This summary has been updated throughout with new details.)
Five people were shot Tuesday morning at a subway station in Brooklyn, law enforcement sources tell the AP . Fire personnel responding to reports of smoke at the 36th Street station in the Sunset Park neighborhood found multiple people shot and...
NYPD Arrests Suspect
in Subway Poop Attack
Mar 1, 2022 11:39 AM CST
NYPD Arrests Suspect in Subway Poop Attack
Frank Abrokwa is accused of smearing feces on stranger in Bronx station
Police say they've arrested a man suspected of smearing human feces in the face of a woman in the New York City subway. Frank Abrokwa, 37, arrested Monday, is now charged with forcible touching, menacing, disorderly conduct, and harassment, WNYW reports. He was apparently a stranger to the...
After Another Attack,
a New Subway Warning
Jan 24, 2022 1:05 PM CST
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
NYC officials warns riders to keep away from the edges of platforms
- The chief of New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority says that while he doesn't want to unduly alarm subway riders, he is urging them to stand back from the edge of platforms to avoid being shoved. Janno Lieber's remarks followed the latest subway attack, in which a...
Woman Killed In Unprovoked
Shove In Front of Subway
Jan 16, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Woman Killed In Unprovoked Shove In Front of Subway
NYC attack took place in Times Square on Saturday
- A woman catching the subway at New York City's Times Square on Saturday was pushed in front of an oncoming train and killed, per NBC News . Authorities called the attack random and said the suspect initially fled before turning himself into police a short time later. The 40-year-old victim,...
Man's Attempt to Jump
NYC Subway Turnstile Kills Him
Jan 3, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Man's Attempt to Jump NYC Subway Turnstile Kills Him
Police say the 28-year-old landed on his head, breaking his neck
- A cautionary tale out of New York City, where police say a 28-year-old man's attempt to avoid paying subway fare ended up killing him. The
New York Post
reports the man allegedly jumped the subway turnstile at the Forest Hills-71st Avenue station in Queens around 6:45am Sunday but...
NYPD Officers Eject
Commuter Who Asked
Them to Wear Masks
Oct 20, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
NYPD Officers Eject Commuter Who Asked Them to Wear Masks
Mayor says their behavior was 'unacceptable'
- A New York City commuter says two NYPD officers kicked him out of a subway station Tuesday morning after he asked them to obey the rules and put their face masks on. Andrew Gilbert tells CBS New York that after he saw officers on a platform and asked them to...
In Age of Extreme Weather,
Subways Bear the Brunt
Jul 24, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
In Age of Extreme Weather, Subways Bear the Brunt
Storms are turning them into flood zones with increasing regularity
- The scenes are remarkable. People had to wade through waist-deep water in the New York City subway earlier this month. This week in China, floodwater in Zhenghou trapped passengers in subway cars, per CNN . (Read their first-person accounts via the BBC .) The examples aren't as unique as you...
Jul 9, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Flooded Subways? NYC Commuters Trudge On
Videos show people wading in waist-deep water to get to trains after heavy rains bring flash floods
- New Yorkers are known to be a tough bunch who roll with whatever comes their way, and videos that have emerged as thunderstorms pummeled the city this week did nothing to dispel that impression. Per the
New York Times
, the city was slammed by heavy rains on Thursday, leading to...
Subway Hero Stops
Latest Random Attack
May 21, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Subway Hero Stops Latest Random Attack
Sean Conaboy pulls assailant with knife off woman in New York City
- Without warning, a man with a knife stabbed a stranger standing on a Manhattan subway platform on Wednesday. Reports suggest the victim could've easily died—if not for the heroic actions of a bystander, who immediately sprinted into action. More:
Surveillance video from 14th Street-Union Square station shows a
The Air in Subway Stations
Is as Bad as You Think
Feb 10, 2021 12:55 PM CST
The Air in Subway Stations Is as Bad as You Think
Study finds NYC has particularly high air pollution
- All those Salesforce employees in New York City who are giving up the commute for good may have more reasons than one to be glad about it. A study published Wednesday in the journal
Environmental Health Perspectives
looked at the quality of the air during AM and PM rush hours...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
Newly Released Selfie Shows Gabby Petito 'Documenting' Injuries
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.