Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Show His
Dec 8, 2023 8:43 AM CST
Nick Kyrgios to Show His 'Intimate Side' on OnlyFans
Tennis star will not post sexually explicit content, however
- It's no wonder Nick Kyrgios is looking for ways to branch out. The 2022 Wimbledon runner-up has been battling injuries this year while playing in only one official singles match, per the AP . But few expected him to jump to OnlyFans, a content subscription service largely known for sexually...
How Things Came Undone
for a Famed Tennis Family
Nov 18, 2023 2:40 PM CST
How Things Came Undone for a Famed Tennis Family
The 'NYT' shares the story of David Lewis and his daughters
- Everyone in the New Zealand tennis world knows David Lewis, writes Matthew Futterman for the
New York Times
. They also know "what happened to his family." Lewis was part of a trio of tennis-star brothers—himself a pro, another losing the 1983 Wimbledon men's singles final to...
Fan Booted From
US Open After
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Fan Booted From US Open After Yelling Something 'Unbelievable'
'He just said the most famous Hitler phrase there is,' complained German player Alexander Zverev
- The US Open was temporarily marred by a fan incident that ended up getting said fan thrown out of the annual tennis championships in Queens, New York. Yahoo Sports reports that Germany's Alexander Zverev was well on his way to beating Italy's Jannik Sinker on Monday evening, but...
Protester Glues Feet
to Floor at US Open
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Protester Glues Feet to Floor at US Open
4 protesters were removed from stands before semi-final match could continue
- Coco Gauff's US Open semifinal victory over Karolina Muchova was delayed by 50 minutes because of a disruption by four environmental activists in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands Thursday night. One protester glued his bare feet to the concrete floor, per the AP . Gauff was leading 1-0 in the...
50 Years Ago, She Took
a Stand, and It Worked
Aug 26, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
50 Years Ago, She Took a Stand, and It Worked
Billie Jean King demanded female players at US Open earn the same as men
- When Billie Jean King won the US Open in 1972, she didn't make the usual remarks about hoping to win again. Instead, she threatened to not play at all the next year—and added that no other women would, either. That's because she earned $10,000 for her...
Tennis Player Slammed for
'Absolutely Disgusting' Behavior
Jul 20, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Tennis Player Slammed for 'Absolutely Disgusting' Behavior
Zhang Shuai left the match in tears after Amarissa Toth erased ball mark with foot
- The Women's Tennis Association says it's investigating an "unfortunate incident" at the Hungarian Grand Prix this week. CNN reports that Chinese player Zhang Shuai retired from the match Tuesday in tears after a dispute over a line call. The ball appeared to land on the line but...
Jul 10, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Unheralded American Is All Surprises at Wimbledon
Chris Eubanks advances to quarterfinals
- Until about a week ago, even Chris Eubanks did not really believe he was capable of this sort of thing—of beating the world's best tennis players at Wimbledon, of reaching the quarterfinals at any Grand Slam tournament, of winning match after match after match on grass courts. Things...
Belarusian Player Booed
Off Court at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Belarusian Player Booed Off Court at Wimbledon
Ukraine's Elina Svitolina beat Belarus's Victoria Azarenka
- After Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina beat Victoria Azarenka of Belarus Sunday, Azarenka was "loudly" booed off the court, the
reports. The BBC notes the match was a "thriller"—not only did Svitolina go in as the underdog, there's also the fact that Belarus...
Evert and Navratilova:
Their 'Eerie' Parallel Lives
Jul 3, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
Evert and Navratilova: Their 'Eerie' Parallel Lives
Sally Jenkins of the 'Washington Post' does a deep dive into their tennis rivalry, close friendship, cancer fights
- "Our lives are so parallel, it's eerie when you think about it." That is tennis great Martina Navratilova talking about fellow tennis great Chris Evert to Sally Jenkins of the
. The sentiment is at the heart of an in-depth look at the relationship between the...
Women's Tennis Mulls
a 'Challenging' Move
Jul 1, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Women's Tennis Mulls a 'Challenging' Move
WTA CEO Steve Simon says they're considering getting into business with the Saudis
- Like other sports, women's tennis is looking into the possibility of getting into business with Saudi Arabia. And while holding a tournament there isn't imminent, WTA Chairman and CEO Steve Simon said Friday that he visited that country with some players in February as part of the evaluation...
Wimbledon Adding AI
Commentary to Matches
Jun 22, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Wimbledon Adding AI Commentary to Matches
Tournament teams with IBM for AI-powered chat on highlight reels
- Wimbledon's first championship was held in 1877, and today it remains not only one of tennis' oldest tournaments but a vibrant piece of British living history. So the
reporting that artificial intelligence is entering the chat as part of match commentary at Wimbledon may be somewhat surprising. The...
AI Is Newest Tool in Helping
Athletes Block Racist Abuse
Jun 7, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
AI Is Newest Tool in Helping Athletes Block Racist Abuse
Companies offer filtering technology as offensive content proliferates on social media
- Social media allows athletes to reach out to fans and market themselves. But it's also where racism is "visual, permanently intrusive, and 24/7" as anonymous people troll players with "barely any accountability," the AP reports. It's all too much for some Black athletes, who are...
Accidental Pelting of Ball Girl
Costs Player $23K
Jun 6, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Accidental Pelting of Ball Girl Costs Player $23K
Miyu Kato also got her doubles team disqualified at French Open
- A pro tennis player's errant swat of a ball continues to cost her. Japan's Miyu Kato must forfeit all of the approximately $23,000 she earned in the French Open because she accidentally hit a ball girl in the neck with a ball, reports the AP . Kato and...
WTA Gives Up
on Boycott Over
Apr 13, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
WTA Gives Up on Boycott Over Player's Safety
China has not let the organization contact Peng Shuai
- A 16-month boycott to pressure China into proving that one of its players is unharmed has been futile, the Women's Tennis Association announced Thursday, so play there will resume. "We are convinced that at this point our requests will not be met," President Steve Simon told BBC...
World No. 1
Pulls Out of
Mar 18, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Unvaccinated World No. 1 Pulls Out of US Tourneys
Djokovic is denied travel exception, but US Open has hope he'll play in August
- The top-ranked tennis player in the world has given up hope on being allowed to enter the US soon, withdrawing from two tournaments. Novak Djokovic, 35, has not received a COVID-19 vaccination. So under US policy, he cannot compete in a tournament going on now in Indian Wells, California, or...
We Have an
Jan 28, 2023 5:30 AM CST
We Have an Australian Open Winner
Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka beats Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan, wins first Grand Slam title
- Aryna Sabalenka won her first Grand Slam title by coming back to beat Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the Australian Open women's final Saturday. The 24-year-old Sabalenka, who's from Belarus, was appearing in her first major final, per the AP . She improved to 11-0 in...
'Netflix Curse' Hits
Australia Open Players
Jan 24, 2023 9:03 PM CST
'Netflix Curse' Hits Australia Open Players
None of the 10 players featured in 'Break Point' made it to tournament's second week
- The first Grand Slam tournament has been wall-to-wall failure for tennis stars affected by the so-called "Netflix curse." Out of the 10 top tennis players featured in Netflix documentary
, which came out last week, three didn't even make it to the Australian Open, the
Hit With 'Double Whammy'
Jan 2, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Tennis Great Martina Navratilova Hit With 'Double Whammy'
She has throat, breast cancer
- Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been hit with a "double whammy": a diagnosis of throat and breast cancer. Both are early stage, and the 18-time Grand Slam singles champion will begin treatment this month. The BBC reports that Navratilova, 66, discovered an enlarged lymph node in her neck in...
'Michelangelo of Tennis'
Is Dead at 91
Dec 5, 2022 1:16 PM CST
'Michelangelo of Tennis' Is Dead at 91
Nick Bollettieri coached the likes of Venus and Serena Williams, Andre Agassi, Monica Seles
- Nick Bollettieri, the Hall of Fame tennis coach who worked with some of the sport’s biggest stars, including Andre Agassi and Monica Seles, and founded an academy that revolutionized the development of young athletes, has died. He was 91. Bollettieri died Sunday night at home in Florida after a...
Alters Rules on
Nov 18, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Wimbledon Alters Rules on Female Underwear
Colored undergarments will be accepted following complaints related to menstruation
- It's official: Female players no longer have to wear white underwear at Wimbledon. Tournament organizers announced the change to the typical all-white uniform on Thursday in response to concerns about menstruation. Beginning next year, female players "will have the option of wearing colored undershorts if they choose,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.