Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
for 14th Time
Jun 5, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Nadal Takes French Open for 14th Time
36-year-old who first won tournament at 19 becomes its oldest champion
- Rafael Nadal long has been considered a bad bet to be winning a Grand Slam title at age 36. A Bleacher Report piece predicted that, with his body apparently breaking down quickly, he'd won his last—in 2012. He once hurt his knee while sitting in a hotel room...
Jun 4, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Gauff Can't Stop Swiatek's Unbeaten Run
World No. 1 takes French Open title, her 6th straight tournament victory
- Coco Gauff came into the women's singles final at the French Open on Saturday having not lost a set during the tournament. But Iga Swiatek hadn't lost in her last 34 matches. It's now 35, after the world No. 1 defeated Gauff 6-1, 6-3 for her second...
French Open Semis
Don't Follow Script
Jun 3, 2022 5:02 PM CDT
French Open Semis Don't Follow Script
Climate change demonstrator breaches court during men's match, and Nadal's opponent has to retire
- A climate activist wearing a T-shirt with the message "We have 1028 days left" interrupted the French Open men's semifinal Friday between Marin Cilic and Casper Ruud by attaching herself to the net and kneeling on the court. Play was delayed for more than 10 minutes with Ruud...
France's Rule Change Is
Good News for Djokovic
Mar 4, 2022 12:20 PM CST
France's Rule Change Is Good News for Djokovic
Unvaxxed tennis star should be able to defend his French Open title in May
- It looks like Novak Djokovic will be to able to play in the French Open after all. The tennis star, who missed out on the Australian Open because he is unvaccinated against COVID-19, has said he would give up more opportunities to match Rafael Nadal's record 21 Grand Slam...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
Weary Djokovic Takes French
After Falling 2 Sets Behind
Jun 13, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Weary Djokovic Takes French After Falling 2 Sets Behind
Serbian star is a single major title away from tying Nadal and Federer
- Novak Djokovic was not about to concede a thing after dropping the first two sets of the French Open final against his younger, fresher foe, Stefanos Tsitsipas. Djokovic looked diminished and depleted at the outset Sunday. By the end, he was at his imperious best. The top-seeded Djokovic came all...
Late Coach's Words
in Mind While
Jun 12, 2021 2:05 PM CDT
Krejcikova Keeps Late Coach's Words in Mind While Winning French
New champion was unseeded in the tournament
- Thinking of her late coach the whole time, Barbora Krejcikova went from unseeded to Grand Slam champion at the French Open. Krejcikova beat 31st-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros on Saturday to win the title in just her fifth major tournament as a singles...
Arrested at French Open
Jun 4, 2021 10:53 AM CDT
Russian Player Arrested at French Open
Yana Sizikova accused of match-fixing at last year's tournament
- The French Open has moved from one controversy to another with a Russian player now accused of match-fixing. Thursday got progressively worse for Yana Sizikova, who lost her opening round doubles match with fellow Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova in Paris, then was arrested and had her hotel room searched, French newspaper...
After Osaka's Surprise
Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Jun 1, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
After Osaka's Surprise Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova, others rally to support tennis star's mental health
- Naomi Osaka's decision to withdraw from the French Open rather than face mandatory media interviews has become one of the most talked-about stories in sports, with folks speaking out on behalf of the world's second-ranked women's tennis player, who admitted to battling depression and social anxiety, and...
Osaka Quits French Open
Rather Than Do Interviews
May 31, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Osaka Quits French Open Rather Than Do Interviews
World No. 2 says she'll step away from tennis for a while
- A day after being fined $15,000 for refusing to do interviews, Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open. The tennis star, ranked second in the world, made the announcement Monday in a long Twitter post, NBC reports. "The best thing for the tournament, the other players and...
Tennis Star Faces Expulsion
Over Media Stance
May 30, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Tennis Star Faces Expulsion Over Media Stance
Naomi Osaka refuses interviews after French Open matches, is fined
- Naomi Osaka kept her word, and now she’s being fined. Osaka, ranked No. 2 in tennis worldwide, recently announced she wouldn’t speak to the media after matches, and French Open officials have now attached a $15,000 price tag to that. Since she’s the highest paid...
World No. 2 Says She Won't
Speak to French Open Press
May 28, 2021 5:54 AM CDT
World No. 2 Says She Won't Speak to French Open Press
'People have no regard for athletes' mental health,' Naomi Osaka says
- Naomi Osaka says she will not be taking part in mandatory press appearances during the French Open—and if she is fined, she hopes the proceeds go to a mental health charity. The Japanese tennis star, currently ranked the World No. 2, tweeted Thursday that she has often felt "...
on French Clay
Oct 11, 2020 11:26 AM CDT
Nadal Ties Record With Stunning Win on French Clay
The Spaniard crushes Novak Djokovic in straight sets
- Rafael Nadal tied Roger Federer with 20 Grand Slam titles by producing a nearly perfect performance against Novak Djokovic in the French Open final, the AP reports. Nadal equaled long-time rival Federer for the most major singles tennis championships won by a man and added to his own record at...
'It's Crazy': History Is
Made at the French Open
Oct 10, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
'It's Crazy': History Is Made at the French Open
Iga Swiatek is the first Polish player to win a Grand Slam singles trophy
- With the poise of a veteran and the shots of a champion, 19-year-old Iga Swiatek picked the perfect place for her first tour-level title: the French Open, the AP reports. Unseeded and ranked merely 54th, Swiatek grabbed the last six games to beat Sofia Kenin 6-4, 6-1 in the final...
For the 12th Time, Nadal
Lifts the French Open Trophy
Jun 9, 2019 12:04 PM CDT
For the 12th Time, Nadal Lifts the French Open Trophy
Champion dropped a set but recovered
- Rafael Nadal pulled away in what had suddenly become a tight final to beat Dominic Thiem 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, on Sunday for his record-extending 12th French Open championship. It raises Nadal's Grand Slam title count to 18; Roger Federer has 20. Thiem made it seem as if this...
Amanda Who? American Teen
Puts Tennis World on Notice
Jun 6, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
Amanda Who? American Teen Puts Tennis World on Notice
Amanda Anisimova, 17, upsets defending champ and advances to semifinals
- Even those who don't follow tennis might be hearing the name Amanda Anisimova a lot over the coming days—and beyond. Anisimova is a 17-year-old American who just pulled off an enormous upset at the French Open: She knocked off defending champ Simona Halep of Romania in fairly easy...
to Inspire Moms
Aug 24, 2018 12:20 PM CDT
French Open Bans Suit Serena Wore to Inspire Moms
Her compression 'catsuit' improved blood circulation after a tough pregnancy
- Serena Williams did away with the traditional skirt and donned a striking, full-length bodysuit during the French Open. And she did so for health, as well as fashion, reasons. Just don't expect to see it again. “I believe we have sometimes gone too far," French Tennis Federation...
at French Open
Jun 10, 2018 11:38 AM CDT
'Scared' Nadal Beats Thiem at French Open
The Spaniard claims his 17th Grand Slam title
- Rafael Nadal won his record-extending 11th championship at the French Open on Sunday, overcoming a late problem with a finger on his racket-swinging hand and displaying his foe-rattling best for a 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 victory over No. 7 seed Dominic Thiem, the only person to beat the Spaniard on clay...
4th Time's the Charm:
Halep Wins French Open
Jun 9, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
4th Time's the Charm: Halep Wins French Open
Simona Halep is the first Romanian to win a Grand Slam in 40 years
- Simona Halep kept telling everybody who would listen: She was a different player. She was stronger mentally. She wanted so much to finally win a Grand Slam title and was sure that, one day, she would, the AP reports. After three losses in major finals, maybe Halep was trying to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.