Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alleged Drunk Boater
Indicted on Homicide Charges
Aug 18, 2022 4:46 AM CDT
Alleged Drunk Boater Indicted on Homicide Charges
5 died in Memorial Day crash in Georgia
: A Georgia man who was allegedly boating under the influence of alcohol on Memorial Day has been indicted on 10 counts of first-degree homicide by vessel—two for each of the five people who died in a collision. Mark Stegall, 45, is also charged with boating under the influence...
In Georgia, Giuliani
Faces 6 Hours of Questions
Aug 17, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
In Georgia, Giuliani Faces 6 Hours of Questions
It's not clear whether he answered any of them in grand jury appearance
: Rudy Giuliani complied with a subpoena and appeared before a special grand jury in Georgia for around six hours Wednesday—but it's not clear whether the Trump attorney answered any questions. Giuliani attorney Bob Costello, who said Monday that he had been told Giuliani was a target of...
Gets Bad News
Aug 15, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
SC senator is ordered to testify about calls he made after Trump's loss in 2020 election
- Lindsey Graham just lost a key battle in his fight to avoid testifying about his actions after the 2020 election. A federal judge in Atlanta on Monday ruled that the GOP senator from South Carolina must appear before a special grand jury in Fulton County that's investigating election meddling...
Army: 2 Soldiers Dead in
Aug 10, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
Army: 2 Soldiers Dead in Weather-Related Incident
They were training on Georgia mountain
- Two soldiers based at Fort Benning, Georgia, died and three others were injured in a weather-related incident Tuesday during training on a mountain in the northern part of the state, Army officials say. An Army spokesperson told Fox 5 that the deceased soldiers, whose names have not yet been released,...
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
Get More Life Sentences
Aug 8, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers Get More Life Sentences
Father, son, and neighbor sentenced for federal hate crime
This story has been updated with new developments
. The white man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery after chasing the 25-year-old Black man in a Georgia neighborhood was sentenced Monday to life in prison for committing a federal hate crime. Travis McMichael, 37, was sentenced by US District Court Judge Lisa...
In Georgia, an
Embryo Is Now
a Tax Deduction
Aug 2, 2022 1:02 PM CDT
In Georgia, an Embryo Is Now a Tax Deduction
State issues guidelines for claiming the deduction, with policy on miscarriages unclear
- Taxpayers can now claim an individual income tax dependent exemption of $3,000 on their Georgia returns for an embryo "with a detectable human heartbeat." Guidance from the department of revenue says cardiac activity "may occur as early as six weeks' gestation" in cells that later become...
Instructor Charged With
Shooting Parked Car
After Fight, Killing Teen
Aug 1, 2022 2:54 AM CDT
Instructor Charged With Shooting Parked Car After Fight, Killing Teen
Georgia university lecturer charged in tragic murder of incoming freshman
- A university instructor in Georgia has been charged with killing an 18-year-old student who was fatally shot while sitting in a car, the AP reports. The Carrollton Police Department said in a news release that Richard Sigman, 47, is charged with murder and aggravated assault in the shooting death of...
In Fatal Mistake, Deputies
Left the Patrol Car Door Open
Jul 30, 2022 5:50 AM CDT
In Fatal Mistake, Deputies Left the Patrol Car Door Open
Brianna Grier died after she fell from a moving patrol car following her arrest
- The parents of a Georgia woman who died after she fell from a moving patrol car following her arrest fought back tears Friday as they demanded answers in their daughter's death. Brianna Grier, 28, suffered significant injuries July 15 and died July 21 at an Atlanta hospital. The Georgia...
After She Spoke of 'Toxic'
Marriage, a Murder-Suicide
Jul 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
After She Spoke of 'Toxic' Marriage, a Murder-Suicide
Sania Khan said stigma in South Asian communities make it hard for women to flee unhealthy relationships
- After his ex-wife discussed their "toxic" marriage and divorce on TikTok, a Georgia man allegedly drove 11 hours, shot and killed the woman, then turned the gun on himself as cops closed in. That's according to Chicago police, who heard a gunshot and a groan as they arrived...
NY Judge Orders Giuliani to
Testify in Georgia Election Case
Jul 20, 2022 2:58 PM CDT
NY Judge Orders Giuliani to Testify in Georgia Election Case
Fulton DA is investigating alleged election interference by Trump allies
- A judge in New York has ordered Rudy Giuliani to appear next month before a special grand jury in Atlanta that's investigating whether former President Donald Trump and others illegally tried to interfere in the 2020 general election in Georgia, the AP reports. New York Supreme Court Justice Thomas...
'Target' Letters Sent to Trump
Allies by Fulton County DA
Jul 16, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
'Target' Letters Sent to Trump Allies by Fulton County DA
Ga.'s Fani Willis mulls subpoenaing Trump himself to testify before grand jury in 2020 election probe
- The Georgia prosecutor investigating potential criminal interference in the 2020 presidential election is considering requesting that former President Donald Trump testify under oath to a grand jury, while several Georgia Republicans already subpoenaed as part of the probe have received letters informing them they're at risk of being indicted....
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
After 20-Year Search, She Saw
the Rendering and 'Screamed'
Jul 14, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
After 20-Year Search, She Saw the Rendering and 'Screamed'
Woman's tip helps crack 1999 cold case murder of 6-year-old boy in Georgia
- It had been more than 20 years since she'd seen the little boy. But when the woman saw a facial rendering of a child that had turned up dead outside Atlanta, Ga., in 1999, created by a forensic artist with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children two...
Jul 14, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
Ex-Ga. Mayor Sentenced for 'Deplorable' Pandemic Crime
Jason Lary gets 57 months behind bars for pocketing COVID relief cash meant for Stonecrest
- An "unsavory saga" has come to a conclusion in Georgia, where an ex-mayor is now headed to prison for nearly five years over a COVID relief funds scheme. On Wednesday, US District Court Judge Thomas W. Thrash Jr. sentenced Jason Lary to 57 months behind bars for stealing hundreds...
Ordered to Testify
Grand Jury in Georgia
Jul 12, 2022 12:11 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham Ordered to Testify Before Special Grand Jury in Georgia
Though there's still a long way to go
- Lindsey Graham has been ordered to testify before a special grand jury as part of its investigation into potential criminal interference by the Trump campaign in the 2020 presidential election in Georgia. A Fulton County judge on Monday declared the senator, who was among eight people in Donald Trump's...
Demolished After Bombing
Jul 7, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
'America's Stonehenge' Demolished After Bombing
Mysterious granite structure was damaged early Wednesday
- Early Wednesday, a bomb destroyed part of the mysterious Georgia Guidestones monument in a rural area in the state's northeast. Later in the day, authorities finished the job. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation tweeted a photo of the destroyed granite monument, saying that "for safety reasons, the structure...
Jul 6, 2022 5:36 PM CDT
Bomb Destroys Mysterious Georgia Guidestone
Conservative Christians have called the monument satanic
- A rural Georgia monument that some conservative Christians have criticized as satanic was bombed before dawn on Wednesday, damaging one of four granite panels that some people dubbed "America's Stonehenge." The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the Georgia Guidestones monument near Elberton was damaged by an explosive...
Giuliani, Graham Subpoenaed
in Georgia Election Case
Jul 5, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Giuliani, Graham Subpoenaed in Georgia Election Case
Investigation closes in on Trump's 'inner circle'
- The Georgia prosecutor investigating the conduct of former President Donald Trump and his allies after the 2020 election is subpoenaing US Sen. Lindsey Graham, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and other members of Trump's campaign legal team to testify before a special grand jury. Fulton County District Attorney...
in Hot Car
Is at Work
Jul 3, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
Georgia woman says she forgot she hadn't taken 1-year-old to day care
- A 1-year-old died after being left in a car parked outside a Georgia drugstore while the mother worked inside, the second death of a child in a hot car in Georgia in a week. The Madison County sheriff said the unidentified child was left in the car for three to...
Boy, 3, Dies After Grandma
Forgets He Was in Car
Jun 28, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
Boy, 3, Dies After Grandma Forgets He Was in Car
Kendrick Engram Jr. was in hot car for nearly 3 hours
- In yet another tragic hot car death, a 3-year-old boy died in the back of a hot SUV in Georgia after his grandmother forgot to take him out of the vehicle. Authorities say the grandmother had been out with Kendrick Engram Jr. and several other children and didn't take...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.