Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Skewers Herschel Walker
in Cold Open
Dec 4, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Skewers Herschel Walker in Cold Open
Kenan Thompson portrays the Georgia candidate
isn't easing up on Herschel Walker in the final days ahead of his Georgia Senate runoff. The cold open of
Saturday Night Live
featured Kenan Thompson as Walker strategizing with Republican Sens. Mitch McConnell (James Austin Johnson), John Cornyn (Mikey Day), and Sen. Marsha Blackburn (Cecily Strong), per...
Teen Campaigning for Warnock
Shot on Doorstep
Dec 2, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Teen Campaigning for Warnock Shot on Doorstep
Man in Savannah fired through the front door, police say
- A teenager campaigning for Sen. Raphael Warnock of Georgia was shot and wounded on the doorstep of a Savannah home, according to police. "At this point, there is no indication the shooting was politically motivated," city police said in a statement Friday. The 15-year-old boy was shot in...
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks,
but Walker Stays Close
Dec 2, 2022 8:56 AM CST
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
The Georgia Senate runoff is tight ahead of Tuesday
- To the surprise of no one, the Senate race between Raphael Warnock and Herschel Walker remains extremely tight days ahead of their Tuesday runoff election in Georgia. A CNN poll of likely voters out Friday gives Democratic incumbent Warnock a 52-48 lead over the former football star, a single point...
$10M Settlement Reached
in Student's Heat Death
Nov 29, 2022 7:06 PM CST
$10M Settlement Reached in Student's Heat Death
Settlement that includes renaming of high school gym is 'bittersweet,' Imani Bell's father says
- The parents of a Georgia high school basketball player who collapsed while practicing outdoors in sweltering heat and later died announced Tuesday that they have agreed to a $10 million settlement with the school district. As part of the settlement, the Clayton County school system agreed to rename the gymnasium...
Trump Steering Clear
of Georgia Runoff
Nov 29, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Trump Steering Clear of Georgia Runoff
Former president doesn't plan a rally for Herschel Walker, which could backfire
- As the Senate runoff in Georgia heads into crunch time, one big name won't be playing a public role. Politico and the
New York Times
report that Donald Trump has no plans to stage one of his signature rallies for Herschel Walker. Trump is still a strong supporter of...
FBI Says Missing Toddler's
Remains Found in Landfill
Nov 28, 2022 2:58 PM CST
FBI Says Missing Toddler's Remains Found in Landfill
Quinton Simon's mother was arrested last week
- The FBI on Monday confirmed that the bones found in a Georgia landfill are those of a toddler who had been reported missing last month and whose mother was arrested last week on charges including murder. The FBI used DNA analysis to confirm that the bones belonged to 20-month-old Quinton...
Georgia's Abortion Ban, Found
to Be Invalid, Is Back in Place
Nov 24, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Georgia's Abortion Ban, Found to Be Invalid, Is Back in Place
State Supreme Court reinstates ban days after lower court ruling found law to be invalid
- The Georgia Supreme Court on Wednesday reinstated the state's ban on abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy, abruptly ending access to later abortions that had resumed days earlier . In a one-page order, the justices put a lower court ruling overturning the ban on hold while they consider an...
Mother Charged in Death
of Missing 20-Month-Old
Nov 21, 2022 5:09 PM CST
Mother Charged in Death of Missing 20-Month-Old
Police to resume search of Georgia landfill for Quinton Simon next week
- After searching in vain for a missing 20-month-old boy since early October, police in Georgia have arrested his mother on a murder charge. Leilani Simon, 22, is being detained pending a bond hearing, Chatham County police said Monday. "We do not anticipate any other arrests in connection with this...
Brian Kemp Makes Change,
Campaigns for Walker
Nov 19, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Brian Kemp Makes Change, Campaigns for Walker
Governor's showing in general election far surpassed the Senate nominee's
- After an election in which he received 200,000 more votes than Herschel Walker, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp made his first public appearance with his party's Senate candidate. "We cannot rest on our laurels here," Kemp said in a seven-minute speech Saturday at a rally in Cobb...
Judge Makes Big Ruling
on Early Voting in Georgia
Nov 19, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Judge Makes Big Ruling on Early Voting in Georgia
Voters can now head to polls on Saturday, Nov. 26, for Senate runoff race between Warnock, Walker
- The Georgia Senate race between Democrat Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker is headed for a Dec. 6 runoff , and thanks to a Fulton County judge's decision this week, locals can add one more day to the calendar in which they'll be able to cast their in-person ballot....
Authorities Rule on Debbie
Collier's Cause of Death
Nov 19, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Authorities Rule on Debbie Collier's Cause of Death
'Self-inflicted,' cops say of 59-year-old Georgia woman found dead in September
- After a two-month mystery in Georgia that earned headlines around the country, authorities say they now know how Debbie Collier died. "A detailed examination of all gathered information has enabled investigators to determine, based on factual evidence and data, that Mrs. Collier's death was self-inflicted," the Habersham...
Walker Faces Tough Odds as
Money Pours Into Georgia Race
Nov 14, 2022 3:54 PM CST
Walker Faces Tough Odds as Money Pours Into Georgia Race
Stakes are lower, but both parties are still taking race very seriously
- Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker of Georgia is definitely the underdog heading into a runoff against Sen. Raphael Warnock, at least according to GOP operatives who spoke to the Hill . Walker finished 48,000 votes behind Warnock in the general election, in stark contrast to fellow Republican Gov. Brian Kemp,...
Warnock vs. Walker Will
Be Decided in December
Nov 9, 2022 1:36 PM CST
Warnock vs. Walker Will Be Decided in December
Georgia Senate race headed for a runoff
- One of the biggest contests of the 2022 midterms—Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock of Georgia vs. Republican challenger Herschel Walker—won't be decided for nearly a month. The AP on Wednesday reported that neither candidate crossed the 50% threshold needed under state law to win the race, and so...
In Georgia, Stacey Abrams
Concedes Governor's Race
Nov 8, 2022 10:36 PM CST
In Georgia, Stacey Abrams Concedes Governor's Race
Rematch with Brian Kemp results in another Republican victory
- Stacey Abrams' second attempt to win the governor's seat in Georgia has ended the same way the first one did—with a celebration for Republican Brian Kemp. The polls had been trending incumbent Kemp's way for a quite a while, and Abrams could not turn the tide. Abrams...
to Get Big Send-Off
Nov 8, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Rapper Takeoff to Get Big Send-Off
Funeral will be held Friday at Atlanta's State Farm Arena
- Takeoff will get quite the sendoff. A funeral for the rapper, who was shot dead at a Houston bowling alley a week ago, will be held Friday at Atlanta's State Farm Arena, home to the NBA's Atlanta Hawks, which can hold some 20,000 people, TMZ reports. Kirshnik...
A Look at Why
Stacey Abrams Is Trailing
Nov 1, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
A Look at Why Stacey Abrams Is Trailing
Georgia gubernatorial candidate is behind in the polls, and Black men in particular are a factor
- Stacey Abrams became a political phenom four years ago when she lost the Georgia governor's race by only a whisker. If the polls are correct, however, she is poised to lose the same race again next week to the same opponent, Brian Kemp, by a bigger margin. FiveThirtyEight....
Oct 31, 2022 10:34 AM CDT
New Poll Assesses 4 Key Senate Races
Democrats lead in 3, including Pennsylvania, and are deadlocked in Nevada, per 'NYT' data
- The midterms are just eight days away, and new polls continue to roll out—including a major one from the
New York Times
and Siena College. It looks at four key Senate races and finds that Democrats hold slim leads in three, with the last one deadlocked.
Georgia Student Killed by
Plane Propeller After Date
Oct 19, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
Georgia Student Killed by Plane Propeller After Date
Accident happened Sunday night at Statesboro-Bulloch County Airport
- A college student died after being struck by the propeller of a small plane as he disembarked at an airport in southeast Georgia, authorities said. The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the death Sunday night at Statesboro-Bulloch County Airport, FAA spokesman Steve Kulm said....
Georgia's First Day
of Early Voting Was
a Massive One
Oct 19, 2022 8:34 AM CDT
Georgia's First Day of Early Voting Was a Massive One
131K ballots cast on first day of midterms voting—nearly double the turnout of 2018
- If Georgia's kickoff to the midterms is any hint of what's to come, the US may see voting records smashed in the 2022 election. Monday was the first day of early voting in the Peach State, and 131,318 locals came out to cast their in-person ballots—nearly...
Herschel Walker Tries to Flip
Badge Brouhaha in His Favor
Oct 18, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Herschel Walker Tries to Flip Badge Brouhaha in His Favor
Campaign of GOP Senate candidate from Ga. has ordered 1K plastic badges to use as fundraising tool
- By now, many of us have seen the moment when Herschel Walker whipped out an honorary deputy sheriff's badge during his debate Friday with Raphael Warnock as they both vie for a seat in the US Senate out of Georgia. Walker took heat from one of the moderators for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.