Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Podcast Sparks Probe Into
Mystery Serial Killer 'Bible John'
Oct 12, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Podcast Sparks Probe Into Mystery Serial Killer 'Bible John'
Police allegedly concealed identity of man thought to have killed 3 women in Glasgow
- Scottish police are reexamining three unsolved murders attributed to the country's most notorious alleged serial killer following an award-winning BBC podcast that suggested a police coverup. Journalist Audrey Gillan's
Bible John: Creation of the Serial Killer
, released in late 2022, told how Helen Puttock, Jemima MacDonald, and Patricia...
63 Years After
Girl Was Killed,
a New Sketch
Oct 11, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
63 Years After Girl Was Killed, a New Sketch of Suspect
Teen's sister, who was with her when she was abducted, helped to create it
- On the night of November 13, 1960, Ohio 14-year-old Nancy Eagleson was walking home from the movies with her 5-year-old sister, Sheryl, when a man drove up to the pair, asking them if they needed a ride home before forcing Nancy into the car and pushing Sheryl aside. Nancy was...
AI Study Shows What Phrasing
Can Tank Solving Rape Crimes
Oct 8, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
AI Study Shows What Phrasing Can Tank Solving Rape Crimes
An analysis of police reports found biased language led to more convictions
- While AI is often in the news for how it might destroy humankind (or at the very least, take our jobs), it also has potential for good, like helping solve crimes. Per Cleveland.com , a professor published two articles in the
Journal of Criminal Justice
that demonstrate how she used...
Multiple People Now 'on the
Radar' in JonBenet Case
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 30, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Cops in Colorado say they're looking into 'new persons of interest' in 1996 murder of 6-year-old
- It's been 27 years since 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey was found murdered over the Christmas holiday in her Colorado home, with most of the leads on who killed her having gone cold over time. Now, however, Boulder police suggest they may be making advances on that front. "There are...
Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
to Get a Fresh Look
Nov 10, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Murder of JonBenet Ramsey to Get a Fresh Look
Colorado Bureau of Investigation team to take up the cold case in 2023
- The Colorado Bureau of Investigation will take a fresh look at the unsolved murder of JonBenet Ramsey next year. The CBI's Cold Case Review Team—a group of "investigative, analytical, and forensic experts from across the state" who meet two to four times a year—will take up...
Rate of Unsolved Murders
Has 'Never Been This Bad'
Jun 29, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Rate of Unsolved Murders Has 'Never Been This Bad'
Almost half of US murders now going unsolved
- Relatives of murder victims in the US are less likely than ever to see their loved one's killer face justice. According to FBI data, the "clearance rate"—the proportion of murder cases solved or otherwise closed per year—for homicides nationwide has fallen to a record low...
29 Years Later
Apr 19, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Victim of 'Happy Face Killer' Identified, 29 Years Later
Patricia Skiple was found dead in 1993
- A victim of the Happy Face Killer has been identified nearly 30 years after her body was left near a California highway, authorities said Monday. Patricia Skiple of Colton, Ore., had been known only as “Blue Pacheco" for the color of her clothing until genetic genealogy was used to...
He Recalled a Story His Dad
Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Feb 9, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Recalled a Story His Dad Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Sheriff's office says the 1972 Durham case is now closed
- A crack in the decades-old case came in 2019. Shane Birt agreed to be interviewed for a book on notorious Georgia crimes, including a case his father had participated in, reports the
. He recounted a story his father, Billy Sunday Birt, had told him during a prison visit:...
His Parents' Deaths Unsolved,
Son Flags 'Eerily Similar' Case
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 4:25 PM CST
His Parents' Deaths Unsolved, Son Flags 'Eerily Similar' Case
John and Joyce Sheridan were found dead in 2014
- John and Joyce Sheridan's children didn't buy the official explanation of their deaths. The couple of 47 years were found dead in the burning master bedroom of their New Jersey home early on Sept. 28, 2014. It was ruled a murder-suicide, with the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office...
$150K Reward Offered
in Lake Tahoe Killing
Feb 5, 2022 3:25 PM CST
$150K Reward Offered in Lake Tahoe Killing
Shooter hid in home for 4 hours, police say
- The daughter of a Lake Tahoe, Calif., man shot to death in a June home invasion is offering 150,000 reasons for someone to come forward about the crime, FOX 40 reports. A man shown on surveillance video sneaked into the home of Robert Spohr and Wendy Wood, hid until...
1963 Killing May Be Solved—
but Suspect May Not Be Alive
Apr 27, 2020 4:03 AM CDT
1963 Killing May Be Solved— but Suspect May Not Be Alive
Authorities have been searching for months with no luck
- Margaret "Peggy" Beck was serving as a counselor for the first time at a Girl Scout camp in Colorado on the night of Aug. 18, 1963, when her tent mate got sick and went to the infirmary for the rest of the evening. So Beck, 16, was alone in...
After Suicide, Police Seek
Connection to Murder of 2 Girls
Jul 23, 2019 12:57 AM CDT
After Suicide, Police Seek Connection to Murder of 2 Girls
Paul Etter lived near where Indiana teens were kidnapped
- Police have a new suspect in the 2017 murder of two 13-year-old girls in Indiana—but they're never going to be able to question him. Paul Etter, 55, killed himself June 27 after an hours-long standoff with police in Boone County, the
Lafayette Journal & Courier
reports. He lived...
51 Eerily Similar
May 30, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
Algorithm Finds 51 Eerily Similar Chicago Murders
'It just screams serial killer'
- The bodies turned up in some of Chicago's most derelict places: alleys, abandoned buildings, weed-choked lots, and garbage containers, per the AP . The victims were mostly black women who had been strangled or suffocated. Authorities believed many were prostitutes or drug addicts or both. There was evidence of sexual...
Public Urged to
Keep Providing Tips
in Killing of 2 Girls
Feb 14, 2019 12:05 AM CST
Public Urged to Keep Providing Tips in Killing of 2 Girls
Indiana murders not a cold case, police say
- Indiana authorities urged the public Wednesday to keep passing on tips in the slayings of two teenage girls killed during a hike , saying on the 2-year anniversary of the crime that the next tip could help solve the case. Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, vanished on Feb. 13,...
Informant's Reference to 'GH'
May Be Black Dahlia Clue
Nov 2, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
Informant's Reference to 'GH' May Be Black Dahlia Clue
Steve Hodel says initials refer to his physician father, who he thinks is the legendary killer
- A retired Los Angeles detective who's long claimed to have solved one of the most vile murders in American history says he has new evidence pointing the finger squarely at … his father. Steve Hodel has spent decades researching the 1947 murder of aspiring actress Elizabeth Short, dubbed the...
Twin Sister's Billboard:
'Find My Killer'
Oct 28, 2018 1:43 PM CDT
Twin Sister's Billboard: 'Find My Killer'
Jennifer Carrieri continues to seek justice
- Killed more than 20 years ago, Jody LeCornu will soon rise above Baltimore County—on a billboard asking people to help find her killer, the
reports. "I don't know that everybody watches the news or TV so I'm hoping it reaches someone who doesn't...
to Solve Notorious
'Black Dahlia' Murder
Oct 26, 2017 6:35 AM CDT
Author Claims to Solve Notorious 'Black Dahlia' Murder
Killer was a sadistic accused pimp, says Piu Eatwell
- It wasn't a doctor who tortured, killed, and carved a clown-like smile in the face of the Black Dahlia, but an accused pimp who escaped punishment as part of a police cover-up, according to a new book. After three years of scouring official documents and grand jury files, British...
Who Dreamed Up
Tale of Murders
Aug 16, 2017 8:13 AM CDT
Cops: Writer Who Dreamed Up Tale of Murders Committed Some
Liu Yongbiao accused of bludgeoning 4 people to death
- Police in China have arrested a well-known author who had already chosen the title for his next novel, reports the
The Beautiful Writer Who Killed
. And that's what authorities allege Liu Yongbiao did more than 20 years ago. The
Times of London
reports Liu had been born into...
Still Be Solved
—With Your Help
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2016 1:55 PM CST
DB Cooper Case Could Still Be Solved —With Your Help
True Ink releasing case files for citizen sleuths
- A man identifying himself as Dan Cooper hijacked a Northwest Orient jet, jumped from the airliner with $200,000 in ransom money and a parachute, and seemingly disappeared in 1971 in what has endured as one of the great American crime mysteries—one an online magazine now hopes to solve....
NYPD Baffled by Case of Baby
Thrown From Building in 1993
Oct 21, 2016 7:17 AM CDT
NYPD Baffled by Case of Baby Thrown From Building in 1993
They hope a sketch will lead to tips
- She was less than 24 hours old when police say she was thrown from the second floor of an apartment building, a red and white dish towel tied around her neck and her umbilical cord and placenta still attached. She died from strangulation and a superintendent found her body, in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.