Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Couple to Pay $28K for
Mistreating Foster Child
Nov 1, 2023 11:49 AM CDT
US Couple to Pay $28K for Mistreating Foster Child
Some Ugandan activists are angered by the outcome
- The US couple charged in Uganda with child trafficking and torture of their 10-year-old foster son has instead pleaded guilty to child cruelty and "inhumane treatment," reports the BBC . Whereas Mackenzie Leing Mathias Spencer and Nicholas Spencer faced life in prison if convicted of the original counts, they'...
in Hot Water
Oct 14, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Eyebrow-Raising T-Shirt Lands 49ers Player in Hot Water
Sources: George Kittle's tee that said 'F--- Dallas' during Cowboys game earned him $14K fine
- A tight end on the San Francisco 49ers will have to fork over nearly $14,000 after the NFL dinged him for unsportsmanlike conduct in the fifth week of season play. A source tells ESPN that George Kittle was hit with the hefty fine after he wore a gray T-shirt...
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable'
That I Ignored Cops
Jul 24, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable' That I Ignored Cops
20-year-old climate activist fined $240 for refusing to leave protest site in Sweden last month
- Last month, an unsurprising attendee showed up at a fossil fuels protest in Sweden and was detained: Greta Thunberg, who's been demonstrating in the name of climate change awareness since at least 2018. Local media reports that the 20-year-old activist was among those who stopped traffic on June 19...
Jan. 6 Rioters Are Raking in the
Donations. Feds Aren't Having It
May 29, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Rioters Are Raking in the Donations. Feds Aren't Having It
Prosecutors now routinely ask judges for fines, as well as prison terms
- Less than two months after he pleaded guilty to storming the US Capitol, Texas resident Daniel Goodwyn appeared on Tucker Carlson's then-Fox News show and promoted a website where supporters could donate money to Goodwyn and other rioters whom the site called “political prisoners.” The Justice Department...
EU's Fine Against Amazon Was
Huge. Meta's Is Even Bigger
May 22, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
EU's Fine Against Amazon Was Huge. Meta's Is Even Bigger
Facebook parent hit with record $1.3B penalty in longtime privacy case over US cybersnooping fears
- The European Union slapped Meta with a record $1.3 billion privacy fine Monday and ordered it to stop transferring user data across the Atlantic by October, the latest salvo in a decade-long case sparked by US cybersnooping fears. The penalty fine of 1.2 billion euros from Ireland's...
She Cooked and
Ate a Great White.
Now, an Apology
Feb 22, 2023 2:30 AM CST
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, an Apology
Chinese food blogger was fined $18.5K after noshing on protected species, showing it online
- Chinese food blogger Tizi is apologizing after one of her viral social media videos showed her eating what turned out to be a protected great white shark. She insists the online seafood seller from whom she procured the shark, and with whom she had worked before, assured her it was...
DOL: Firm Hired
Kids to Work
in Risky Jobs
Feb 17, 2023 4:10 PM CST
DOL: Firm Hired Kids to Work Overnight Shifts in Risky Jobs
Packers Sanitation Services hit with $1.5M fine for allegedly hiring minors to clean meatpacking plants
- The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 bars all minors from working with certain hazardous equipment; prohibits kids who are 14 and 15 from working past 7pm, or for more than three hours a day; and mandates that children under the age of 14 can't work at all. Now,...
Tom Brady Got Sacked, but
He's the One Paying $11K Fine
Oct 15, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Tom Brady Got Sacked, but He's the One Paying $11K Fine
Buccaneers QB kicked at Falcons' Grady Jarrett after falling to ground in last Sunday's game
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady was sacked last weekend by Atlanta Falcons defensive end Grady Jarrett, a play that ended up earning Jarrett a controversial penalty for roughing the passer. Now, a hefty financial punishment has been handed down by the NFL—but it will be Brady paying it,...
Those Who Catch Cheating
Cheated on Their Ethics Exams
Jun 28, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Those Who Catch Cheating Cheated on Their Ethics Exams
Ernst & Young has to pay a $100M fine to the SEC
- It's a scandal rich in irony. Auditors with the giant accounting firm Ernst & Young—the very people whose job it is to catch cheaters—themselves cheated on exams needed to keep their licenses, reports NPR . But the irony gets richer: The accountants cheated on the
Calls for Johnson's
Resignation Grow Amid
Apr 12, 2022 10:31 AM CDT
Calls for Johnson's Resignation Grow Amid 'Partygate' Update
British PM will be fined by police for breaching COVID regulations during lockdown bashes
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office said Tuesday that he and Rishi Sunak, the nation's Treasury chief, will be fined by police for breaching COVID-19 regulations following allegations of lockdown parties at government offices while millions in Britain were barred from meeting with friends and family, per the...
FAA Wants to Fine
Apr 8, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
FAA Wants to Fine Passenger $82K
Another would have to pay $77K after both are accused of biting people on flights
- Two airline passengers accused of biting people on their flights are facing the highest fines ever imposed for bad behavior by the FAA. The agency is seeking a penalty of almost $82,000 against a woman it says fought crew members and other passengers on an American Airlines flight last...
Clinton Campaign, DNC
Fined Over Steele Dossier
Mar 31, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Clinton Campaign, DNC Fined Over Steele Dossier
FEC found they misreported spending on opposition research as 'legal services'
- Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee will pay for their alleged violation of campaign finance laws related to the infamous Steele dossier. The DNC has been fined $105,000 and the Clinton campaign has been fined $8,000 for not properly disclosing opposition research on...
Hit With $15K
Fine for Obscene
Nov 27, 2021 5:30 AM CST
LeBron James Hit With $15K Fine for Obscene Gesture
This after he'd been suspended earlier in the week for hitting Detroit center Isaiah Stewart in the face
- On Friday, LeBron James was fined $15,000 for an obscene gesture by the NBA, which also warned the Lakers superstar about using profane language. James made the gesture after making a shot late in Los Angeles' 124-116 overtime victory in Indiana on Wednesday night, reports the AP . He'd...
Reaction to TSA
in case you missed it
Jul 31, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
Travelers Have 'Not Surprising' Reaction to TSA Mask Fines
Out of 2.4K incidents of alleged noncompliance, only 2 have agreed to pay the $250 penalty
- Earlier this year, the TSA warned that people who refuse to wear face masks while using public transit, in accordance with a federal mandate, could face hefty fines. It doesn't seem like that heads-up served as much of a deterrent, at least not for a couple of thousand travelers...
Pink: I'll Pay Fines
for Women's Team
Jul 26, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Pink: I'll Pay Fines for Women's Team Over Shorts
She praises Norway's beach handball squad for taking a stand over rule requiring bikini bottoms
- Norway's 10-member female beach handball team recently incurred a fine for its choice of attire during a match, and the country's handball federation offered to pay it—though the latter group now has to wrestle with another big name that wants to pick up the tab. Singer Pink...
3 House Republicans Lose
Their Mask-Fine Appeals
Jul 21, 2021 9:07 AM CDT
3 House Republicans Lose Their Mask-Fine Appeals
Trio consists of Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene, Thomas Massie, and Ralph Norman
- Three Republican House members have lost appeals challenging fines for not wearing face coverings on the House floor earlier this year. On Tuesday, the House Ethics Committee released statements noting that Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, Thomas Massie of Kentucky, and Ralph Norman of South Carolina had failed in...
FAA Has 2.5K Reports
of Unruly Fliers This Year
May 24, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
FAA Has 2.5K Reports of Unruly Fliers This Year
Number of cases is way up this year, and air travel is getting busier
- The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday that mask violations account for about 1,900 of the 2,500 unruly passenger reports it has received this year. The agency usually handles 100 to 150 formal cases in a year. The FAA is weighing the allegations, Reuters reports, and said 395 of...
FAA: Told to Mask Up,
Passengers Got Physical
May 6, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
FAA: Told to Mask Up, Passengers Got Physical
Agency issues 4 fines totalling more than $67K
- Two travelers are facing a combined $50,000 in fines from the FAA, and not just for their lack of masks. Both are accused of assaulting flight attendants who called them out for their rule-breaking, per the
. A female passenger told to don a mask on a Feb. 7...
Online Bully's Fine in
Netflix Star's Suicide: $80
Mar 31, 2021 9:19 AM CDT
Online Bully's Fine in Netflix Star's Suicide: $80
'When will you die?' he asked Hana Kimura
- A Japanese man has been fined $80 over online abuse directed at a reality star who later took her own life. Pro-wrestler Hana Kimura committed suicide last May after suffering social media abuse related to her appearance on Netflix's
, a reality show following six young people who...
After 10 Months, 400 Lawyers,
Drugmaker Found Guilty
Mar 29, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
After 10 Months, 400 Lawyers, Drugmaker Found Guilty
Servier Laboratories was accused of letting diabetes drug Mediator be sold as diet drug
- A $3.2 million fine has been issued in a "judicial marathon" of a case centered around a French pharmaceutical company, but that $3.2 million is just the start, reports the AP . Servier Laboratories was accused of allowing the diabetes drug Mediator to be sold as a diet...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.