Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rory McIlroy Abruptly
Ditches PGA Tour Board
Nov 15, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Rory McIlroy Abruptly Ditches PGA Tour Board
Golfer made no secret of his distaste for a Saudi-funded league
- Rory McIlroy has resigned from the PGA Tour's policy board five months after complaining of feeling " like a sacrificial lamb " in the tour's quest to obtain funding from Saudi Arabia. The four-time major winner announced his resignation in a Tuesday letter to the board shortly after...
After Latest Airstrike, Calls
for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Nov 1, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
After Latest Airstrike, Calls for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Arab nations condemn Israeli strike on refugee camp as groups claim use of white phosphorus
- Dozens of people entered the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday in what appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war more than three weeks ago, the AP reports. Egyptian state-run media...
Climate Change Will Make
These Places Too Hot to Live
Oct 15, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Climate Change Will Make These Places Too Hot to Live
New study identifies which regions will be 'unlivable' for long stretches of time
- As global temperatures rise, long stretches of extreme heat will make certain regions 'unlivable' for weeks at a time, a new study published in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
breaks down the bleak report, which projects what temperatures will look like in...
After Defiance Over Skirt With
Saudi Flag, Designer Apologizes
Sep 18, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
After Defiance Over Skirt With Saudi Flag, Designer Apologizes
Mowalola Ogunlesi faced a call for a boycott
- Mowalola Ogunlesi's initial reaction to the outcry over the miniskirt bearing the Saudi Arabian flag that she showed during London Fashion Week was not contrite. "Cry me a river," said one of the Nigerian designer's posts on X, CNN reports. "A mini skirt being an...
BRICS Bloc Is Getting
6 New Members
Aug 24, 2023 4:25 AM CDT
BRICS Bloc Is Getting 6 New Members
They include Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE
- Iran and Saudi Arabia are among six countries that will join the BRICS bloc of developing economies as new members from 2024, South Africa's president said Thursday. United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Egypt, and Ethiopia are also set to join the bloc that is currently made up of Brazil, Russia,...
Saudi Border Guards Accused
of Atrocities Against Migrants
Aug 21, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Saudi Border Guards Accused of Atrocities Against Migrants
Human Rights Watch says soldiers are murdering and torturing Ethiopians
- A new Human Rights Watch report makes for grim reading about the border between Saudi Arabia and Yemen. The organization accuses Saudi soldiers of raping, torturing, and killing African migrants trying to enter the oil-rich country, reports the BBC . HRW interviewed dozens of migrants from Ethiopia and examined photos and...
Algeria Is Latest
Country to Ban
Aug 15, 2023 4:29 PM CDT
Algeria Is Latest Country to Ban
But movie has made it to cinemas in Saudi Arabia with surprisingly few changes
- Algeria has banned the
movie for supposedly "damaging morals," though plenty of Algerians have already had the opportunity to have their morals damaged: The film was released in the North African country more than three weeks ago and 24H Algerie reports that screenings have been selling out...
Women's Tennis Mulls
a 'Challenging' Move
Jul 1, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Women's Tennis Mulls a 'Challenging' Move
WTA CEO Steve Simon says they're considering getting into business with the Saudis
- Like other sports, women's tennis is looking into the possibility of getting into business with Saudi Arabia. And while holding a tournament there isn't imminent, WTA Chairman and CEO Steve Simon said Friday that he visited that country with some players in February as part of the evaluation...
Report: Golfers Who Rejected
Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Jun 15, 2023 11:14 AM CDT
Report: Golfers Who Rejected Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Sources say PGA loyalists will get payments to 'level up' with those who joined breakaway league
- The bitter split dubbed "golf's civil war" ended last week with a surprise merger between Saudi Arabia's LIV Golf venture and the PGA Tour and European Tour—and insiders say the peace deal will include some Saudi money for PGA loyalists who turned down enticements to join...
for US: Report
Jun 9, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Crown Prince MBS Vowed 'Consequences' for US: Report
In classified doc seen by 'WaPo,' de facto Saudi leader spouted off after Biden's own threat last year
- Last fall, President Biden warned of "consequences" headed Saudi Arabia's way after the kingdom cut oil production, which in effect proved helpful to Russia as it continued its invasion into Ukraine. Biden later seemed to walk back his admonition in favor of trying to repair strained ties between...
PGA Chief's About-Face
Came in Secret Meeting
Jun 7, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
PGA Chief's About-Face Came in Secret Meeting
Jay Monahan once reviled the Saudi LIV tour, but he then agreed to a stunning merger
- A lot of words are being thrown around to describe what happened in the world of golf on Tuesday: Shocking, stunning, hypocritical (from the critics), to name a few. One thing clear, though, is that "Tuesday was unlike any other [day] in golf history," writes Brendan Quinn at...
Saudis Looking to
Jack Gas Prices
Jun 5, 2023 2:20 AM CDT
Saudis Looking to Jack Gas Prices
Amid slumping prices, Riyadh will slash oil supply
- Saudi Arabia will reduce how much oil it sends to the global economy, taking a unilateral step to prop up the sagging price of crude after two previous cuts to supply by major producing countries in the OPEC+ alliance failed to push oil higher, the AP reports. The Saudi cut...
First Saudi Woman
Is Headed to Space
in Very Pricey Trip
May 21, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
First Saudi Woman Is Headed to Space in Very Pricey Trip
Along with a record-holding NASA astronaut on a very expensive private SpaceX flight
- Saudi Arabia’s first astronauts in decades rocketed toward the International Space Station on a chartered multimillion-dollar flight Sunday. SpaceX launched the ticket-holding crew, led by a retired NASA astronaut now working for the company that arranged the trip. Also on board, per the AP : a US businessman who now...
Offers Hope in 9-Year War
Apr 10, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
This Handshake Offers Hope in 9-Year War
Saudi officials visit Yemen’s capital for talks with rebels
- Saudi officials were in Yemen's capital Sunday for talks with the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, as part of international efforts to find a settlement to Yemen’s nine-year conflict, officials said. Saudi Arabia’s delegation, chaired by the kingdom’s ambassador to Yemen, Mohammed bin Saeed Al-Jaber, will hold talks...
Mideast Deal Brokered
by China Leaves US Out
Mar 11, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Mideast Deal Brokered by China Leaves US Out
Saudi Arabia-Iran agreement indicates nations want to negotiate without American help
- The agreement between Saudi Arabia and Iran to resume relations, a deal mediated by China, appears to be a watershed moment in the Middle East, realigning alliances that have dominated diplomacy for decades while—at least for now—leaving the US out. The pact indicates that nations in the region...
Gitmo Detainee Mentioned
in Pre-9/11 Memo Returned
to Saudi Arabia
Mar 9, 2023 8:12 AM CST
Gitmo Detainee Mentioned in Pre-9/11 Memo Returned to Saudi Arabia
Ghassan al-Sharbi was held for more than 20 years without trial
- The inmate population at Guantanamo Bay now stands at 31—down from 35 a few weeks ago—with the repatriation of a 48-year-old Saudi prisoner. Ghassan al-Sharbi was held at the base in Cuba for more than 20 years without trial. Al-Sharbi, who allegedly traveled to Afghanistan in August 2001...
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters
Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Dec 21, 2022 10:40 AM CST
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Tournament to welcome golfers from Saudi-backed LIV league
- Families of victims and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks are planning to protest at the Masters this spring in response to Augusta National Golf Club's decision to allow golfers from the Saudi-backed LIV league to participate. Augusta National Chairman Fred Ridley announced Tuesday that qualified golfers from both...
Judge's Move Likely
Marks End of Efforts
to Hold MBS Accountable
Dec 7, 2022 12:47 AM CST
Judge's Move Likely Marks End of Efforts to Hold MBS Accountable
Judge dismisses lawsuit against Saudi crown prince in journalist's murder
- The move Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee feared has come to pass: A US district court judge on Tuesday dismissed her lawsuit against Saudi Arabia's crown prince in the murder of the
journalist. Judge John Bates said he felt "uneasiness" in the decision, but had essentially no...
Saudi Arabia Has Resumed
Executing Drug Offenders
Nov 23, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Saudi Arabia Has Resumed Executing Drug Offenders
17 have been beheaded in the space of 2 weeks
- After a 21-month hiatus on executing people for drug offenses, Saudi Arabia appears to be trying to make up for lost time. The United Nations says the kingdom has executed 17 people for drug and contraband offenses over the past two weeks, including four Syrians, three Pakistanis, three Jordanians, and...
It May Be the Biggest
Upset in World Cup History
Nov 22, 2022 7:10 AM CST
It May Be the Biggest Upset in World Cup History
Saudi Arabia stuns Argentina and Lionel Messi
- Sportswriters are running out of superlatives to describe Saudi Arabia's upset victory over powerhouse Argentina in the World Cup on Tuesday. CNBC calls the 2-1 win by the Saudis "one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history." The
New York Times
sees the loss for Argentina'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.