Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Break Out the Beer
Sep 16, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Break Out the Beer Steins, Lederhosen
Oktoberfest has kicked off in Munich
- The beer is flowing and millions of people are descending on the Bavarian capital to celebrate the official opening of Oktoberfest. With the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" — "It's tapped!"— Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon...
Owner for Closing
Jul 25, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
Possible Surprise Owner for Closing Anchor Brewing: Its Workers
Unionized staffers are trying to raise funds to save San Francisco beer-maker
- Earlier this month, things looked grim for Anchor Brewing; in fact, Wikipedia was still describing the San Francisco-based brewery in the past tense as of Tuesday morning. Its shutdown may not be permanent, however—at least not if its workers have a say. Quartz reports Anchor's unionized staff is...
In Old Danish Paintings,
Researchers Make a Beery Find
May 31, 2023 2:04 PM CDT
In Old Danish Paintings, Researchers Make a Beery Find
Danish masters used brewery byproducts as a primer
- Painters' studios in the 19th-century Danish Golden Age probably smelled a lot like breweries. In a study published in Science Advances , researchers say they discovered that Danish masters including Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg, considered the father of Danish painting, used an "unconventional binder" to prepare their canvases—the byproducts of...
Bud Light Backlash
Apr 28, 2023 12:47 PM CDT
Dylan Mulvaney Speaks After Bud Light Backlash
Trans influencer says she's 'OK,' but is troubled by her critics' 'need to dehumanize' her
- The brouhaha over Anheuser-Busch's Bud Light promo involving transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney has put two executives on leave and spurred conservatives to get on the boycott train . Mulvaney herself has been quiet throughout, but on Thursday, the 26-year-old actor took to Instagram after being "offline for a few...
Making Beer for
Apr 21, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Brewery on Making Beer for 'Conservative Dad': Nope
Seth Weathers implied Illinois' Bent River Brewing was in on his 'Ultra Right' concoction; they say no
- While some conservatives are throwing away or boycotting their Bud Light and other Anheuser-Busch beverages to protest the former brand's promotion with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney, one has decided to cut out the middleman and create his own concoction. Seth Weathers' Ultra Right 100% Woke Free American Beer is...
No One Seems
to Be Happy
Apr 18, 2023 8:44 AM CDT
No One Seems to Be Happy With Bud's New Ad
Beer giant's promo ticks off the right and the left after controversy around transgender influencer
- Conservatives are trashing Bud Light, literally and figuratively , as well as Anheuser-Busch's other offerings, in the wake of a partnership with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney. Now, a new ad from the beverage giant appears to be trying to smooth over that backlash, though it doesn't appear to be...
America Is Thirstiest for Liquor
Feb 9, 2023 5:45 PM CST
America Is Thirstiest for Liquor
'Cocktail culture' triumphs in new market data
- Producers of spirits have new bragging rights in the age-old whiskey vs. beer barroom debate. As the AP reports, new figures show that spirits surpassed beer for US market-share supremacy, based on supplier revenues, a spirit industry group announced Thursday. The rise to the top for spirit-makers was fueled in...
Bike Culture May Have
Jan 10, 2023 12:14 PM CST
Bike Culture May Have a Problem—Alcohol
In 'Bicycling,' Gloria Liu suggests the cycling world drinks too much
- A few years ago, Gloria Liu wrote a story in
magazine about how great the "post-ride beer" is in the parking lot, especially with a group of riding friends. Now comes a story in the same magazine with a different bent and a headline asking, "Does Cycling...
Philadelphia Cuts Down
Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
in case you missed it
Sep 25, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Workers mistook them for weeds
- The Philadelphia Brewing Company won't be releasing its popular Harvest From the Hood pale ale this year because overzealous city workers destroyed the crop of hops it was growing in a lot next to the brewery. Brewery co-owner Nancy Barton says the hops—fast-growing climbing plants—were being grown...
Florida Crash Is a
Tragedy for Beer Lovers
Sep 22, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
Florida Crash Is a Tragedy for Beer Lovers
Coors Light cans blanketed lanes of 1-75 after Wednesday's collision
- Four 18-wheelers crashed on a Florida highway Wednesday, turning the roadway into "a silver sea of beer cans," per the AP . A semi-truck had clipped another while changing lanes on 1-75 near Brooksville, about 30 miles north of Tampa, which forced other trucks to brake shortly after 6am....
For First Time Since 2019,
Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
Sep 17, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
For First Time Since 2019, Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
German beer fest in Munich was canceled in 2020, 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic
- The beer is flowing at Munich's world-famous Oktoberfest for the first time since 2019. With three knocks of a hammer and the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" ("It's tapped!"), Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon local...
Cheers if You're Over 40.
Not So Fast if You're Younger
Jul 15, 2022 1:54 PM CDT
Cheers if You're Over 40. Not So Fast if You're Younger
New analysis finds there's no benefit and only increased health risks for young adults who drink
- First scientists told us that young adults shouldn't drink alone ; now they're saying they shouldn't drink at all. At least, that's the conclusion of new research out of Seattle's University of Washington, which is part of the ongoing "Global Burden of Diseases" study carried...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
May 21, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
New lager from town near Finland's border with Russia offers 'a taste of security'
- A small brewery in Finland, just 30 or so miles from the Russian border, has made its feelings about the nation joining NATO clear. Just before Finland submitted its application to the security alliance, Olaf Brewing released a new lager. Its name, OTAN, plays on the Finnish "I'll...
Viral Post About $27 Airport
Beer Spurs Big Changes
May 17, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
NYC transportation authority is cracking down on food, drink prices at area airports after complaint
- Almost $28 for a 23-ounce glass of Sam Adams summer ale? If that seems pricey, you're not the only one who thinks so. But that's how much it was on the menu at an eatery in New York City's LaGuardia Airport when Cooper Lund was waiting for...
First Brand Apology of 2022
Did Not Take Long
in case you missed it
Jan 8, 2022 7:15 AM CST
First Brand Apology of 2022 Did Not Take Long
Pabst's crude posts made fun of 'Dry January,' an alcohol-free movement to kick off the new year
- A brand is usually going to do whatever it can to sell itself—which is why one of Pabst Blue Ribbon's latest tweets simply reads "Beer"—but other recent tweets in the new year from PBR have generated backlash, and now an apology. The Daily Beast reports...
Latest Brew Is
Illegal in 15 States
Sep 20, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
Samuel Adams' Latest Brew Is Illegal in 15 States
Limited-edition Utopias is 28% ABV
- Samuel Adams has a new beer on the way, but it doesn't come in six-packs: The new batch of its limited-edition Utopias brew comes in a 25.4-ounce copper-clad decanter with a suggested retail price of $240—and it's so strong it's banned in 15 states. The...
Gold' Beer Cans
a Solid Scam:
Jun 29, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Brewery's 'Solid Gold' Beer Cans a Solid Scam: Contest Winners
Winners of BrewDog contest say 'solid gold' beer cans allegedly worth $20K are actually gold-plated
- Poet George Arnold preferred beer to gold , but winners of a Scottish brewery's recent giveaway were led to believe they'd be getting both, and they're now torqued about what was actually delivered. The UK's Advertising Standards Authorities says it's looking into claims by those who...
In Afghanistan, German
Military Has a Beer Problem
Jun 7, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
In Afghanistan, German Military Has a Beer Problem
It finds a contractor to squirrel nearly 6K gallons of alcohol out of the country
- The German military says it has found a solution for an unusual logistics problem its troops in Afghanistan face: a glut of beer. Defense Ministry spokeswoman Christina Routsi said Monday a decision by the German commander in Afghanistan to ban the consumption of alcohol for security reasons had resulted in...
Anheuser-Busch: Free Beer
for All If Vaccination Goal Hit
Jun 2, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Anheuser-Busch: Free Beer for All If Vaccination Goal Hit
Company offers to buy America a round
- President Biden plans to call for a "month of action" Wednesday to reach his goal of having 70% of Americans at least partially vaccinated by July 4—and Anheuser-Busch says it will sweeten the deal with a round of beers for the nation. The Budweiser maker says that as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.