Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports of shark attacks on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Shark Kills US
Tourist in Bahamas
Dec 5, 2023 8:17 AM CST
Shark Kills US Tourist in Bahamas
44-year-old bitten while paddleboarding near her resort in Nassau
- A vacation in the Bahamas turned tragic Monday when a Boston woman was fatally attacked by a shark. The 44-year-old was paddleboarding off the Sandals Royal Bahamian resort in Nassau shortly after 11am when a shark lunged and bit the woman, causing "serious injuries to the right side of...
Woman Killed in
Shark Attack Off Mexico
Dec 4, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Woman Killed in Shark Attack Off Mexico
26-year-old was swimming with her daughter in Melaque
- A Mexican woman died after she was severely bitten in the leg by a shark in the Pacific Ocean off the beach town of Melaque, authorities said Sunday. Rafael Araiza, the head of the local civil defense office, said the attack occurred Saturday a short distance from the beach in...
Mauled by Shark 'in
the Blink of an Eye'
Nov 1, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
Surfer Fatally Mauled by Shark 'in the Blink of an Eye'
Police are now hunting for body of man off coast of South Australia after Tuesday attack
- A surfboard with a bite mark is all that remained after a surfer off of South Australia's Eyre Peninsula was dragged under the water Tuesday by what witnesses believe was a great white shark. Police confirm they're now looking for the 55-year-old man's body, per 7NEWS , which...
Search Fails to Find Man
After Reported Shark Attack
Oct 2, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Search Fails to Find Man After Reported Shark Attack
Companions said they saw swimmer pulled under off California shore
- A search for a man whose companions said was attacked by a shark while swimming off the northern California coast has been called off. The attack was reported at Wildcat Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore on Sunday morning, NBC News reports. Marin County firefighters said three men were swimming...
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard
'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
Sep 20, 2023 12:36 PM CDT
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
Mark Summerset had been wary of the sharks he saw in the water
- Mark Summerset and a friend drove through the night from Charleston, South Carolina, to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, to surf the waves left by Hurricane Lee. As earlier reported, the 38-year-old would leave having taken a shark bite to the face. He tells the
that on day one...
In Rarity, Shark Bites
Woman at NYC Beach
Aug 8, 2023 12:02 PM CDT
In Rarity, Shark Bites Woman at NYC Beach
Swimmer, 50, injured at Rockaway Beach
- A woman was critically injured when a shark bit her on the leg while she was swimming at a New York City beach, per the AP . The 50-year-old woman was swimming off Rockaway Beach just before 6pm Monday when a shark bit her on the left leg, the city parks...
Unwanted Guests Show Their
Teeth at New York's Beaches
Jul 5, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Unwanted Guests Show Their Teeth at New York's Beaches
Multiple shark bites reported off Long Island, Fire Island over the last few days
- It's beach season in New York—and apparently for the sharks hanging around in the waters off the Empire State's popular beaches, as well. As NBC News reports, several people were bitten by sharks on Monday and Tuesday, though none were fatal. The details:
A 15-year-old boy was
He Was Told Not to
Put Hands in Water.
Shark Explains Why
Jun 27, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
He Was Told Not to Put Hands in Water. Shark Explains Why
Florida fisherman bloodied by suspected bull shark after ignoring friend's advice
- The fisherman only wanted to rinse his hands. But it was a move the Florida man will be cursing himself for after a shark apparently mistook his hands for a tasty fish. The unidentified man was fishing with a group in Everglades National Park on Friday morning when he leaned...
Loses Leg to Shark
May 25, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
American Tourist Loses Leg to Shark
Connecticut woman, 22, was snorkeling in Turks and Caicos islands
- A 22-year-old woman from Connecticut who was on vacation in the Turks and Caicos islands has lost one of her legs to a shark, reports CT Insider . The unidentified woman was snorkeling when the shark attacked, and she was listed in serious condition at a local hospital, per NBC News...
Surfer in Honolulu
Apr 10, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Shark Attacks Surfer in Honolulu
Man, 58, is in serious condition
- A surfer was in serious condition after being bitten in the leg by a shark Sunday morning off Honolulu, authorities said. The 58-year-old man was attacked shortly before 7am near Kewalo Basin, according to Honolulu Emergency Medical Services. Paramedics responded and “administered life-saving treatment to a patient who was...
Horrified Onlookers at Popular
Beach Witness Shark Attack
Feb 20, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Horrified Onlookers at Popular Beach Witness Shark Attack
Aussie tourist dies after encounter in waters off French territory of New Caledonia in South Pacific
- An Australian man's swim over the weekend in a tropical resort city ended in tragedy, causing the closure of most of the beaches in the area. The 59-year-old tourist was about 500 feet offshore on Sunday when he was attacked by a shark at the popular Chateau Royal beach...
In Hawaii, a 2nd
Shark Attack in 5 Days
Dec 14, 2022 9:05 AM CST
In Hawaii, a 2nd Shark Attack in 5 Days
Man is recovering after bite to the rear; search has ended for other presumed victim
- A man in Hawaii has reportedly survived a shark bite to the butt in what's believed to be the second attack in the state in a week. The 68-year-old from Waikoloa used a diving knife to fend off the 12-foot-long tiger shark as he swam in Anaehoomalu Bay, on...
She Was Swimming in the
Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Nov 8, 2022 9:45 AM CST
She Was Swimming in the Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Lyn Jutronich, 50, describes watching a shark attack her off the coast of Del Mar, Calif.
- Lyn Jutronich was resting in the water during her morning ocean swim when something rammed her hard out of the water. Jutronich, 50, said she immediately knew it was a shark. She gave her first interviews over the weekend from her hospital bed, where she's recovering after the shark...
Stranded Boaters Fend Off
Sharks During Rescue
Oct 10, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Stranded Boaters Fend Off Sharks During Rescue
Two rescued by Coast Guard had hand injuries from fighting off the sharks
- Two people from a sunken fishing boat were fending off sharks in the Gulf of Mexico when a crew rescued them and one other person from waters off the Louisiana coastline, the Coast Guard said. The agency launched a search after a relative reported that the three men failed to...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
in 1 Day
Aug 19, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Sharks Bite 2 Swimmers in 1 Day
Neither attack was fatal, but 1 wound required hundreds of stitches
- Sharks bit two swimmers in one day at a South Carolina tourist destination this week, about a half-mile and just more than an hour apart. One bite caused a serious injury but didn't threaten the swimmer's life; the other was minor, NBC News reports. "I just felt...
Pool Noodle Keeps Boy
Afloat After Shark Attack
Aug 16, 2022 2:04 PM CDT
Pool Noodle Keeps Boy Afloat After Shark Attack
Jameson Reeder Jr., 10, lost part of leg after attack in Florida Keys
- A 10-year-old who was snorkeling with his family in the Florida Keys on Saturday has lost the lower part of one of his legs after being attacked by a shark. Click Orlando reports Jameson Reeder Jr. was at Looe Key Reef around 4:30pm when what was suspected to be...
in Incredibly Rare
UK Shark Attack
Aug 2, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
Snorkeler Bitten in Incredibly Rare UK Shark Attack
She was on boat trip off Cornwall coast
- A snorkeler suffered a leg injury in an apparent shark attack that was incredibly rare for two reasons. It involved a blue shark, a species that almost never attacks humans, and it took place in British waters, where unprovoked shark attacks are almost unheard of. Britain's Maritime Coastguard Agency...
2 Shark Attacks
on Same Day
in Long Island
Jul 14, 2022 2:21 AM CDT
2 Shark Attacks on Same Day in Long Island
Both victims survived their ordeals
- Two people were attacked by sharks in separate Long Island incidents Wednesday. Both survived. Near Smith Point on Fire Island around 7:30am, a 41-year-old man variously reported as a surfer or paddleboarder was knocked off his board by a 4-foot-long tiger shark, which the man punched. He was then...
Teen Saved From Shark by
Brother Will Lose Her Leg
Jul 5, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Teen Saved From Shark by Brother Will Lose Her Leg
Florida's Addison Bethea was gathering scallops when she was attacked
The unfortunately expected outcome will come to pass. CBS News reports Addison Bethea, the 17-year-old Florida girl who was attacked by a shark Thursday near Tallahassee, will have her right leg amputated Tuesday. Mother Michele Murphy spoke about her daughter's miracle survival: "My daughter, by medical standards,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.