Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports of shark attacks on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Was Swimming in the
Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Nov 8, 2022 9:45 AM CST
She Was Swimming in the Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Lyn Jutronich, 50, describes watching a shark attack her off the coast of Del Mar, Calif.
- Lyn Jutronich was resting in the water during her morning ocean swim when something rammed her hard out of the water. Jutronich, 50, said she immediately knew it was a shark. She gave her first interviews over the weekend from her hospital bed, where she's recovering after the shark...
Stranded Boaters Fend Off
Sharks During Rescue
Oct 10, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Stranded Boaters Fend Off Sharks During Rescue
Two rescued by Coast Guard had hand injuries from fighting off the sharks
- Two people from a sunken fishing boat were fending off sharks in the Gulf of Mexico when a crew rescued them and one other person from waters off the Louisiana coastline, the Coast Guard said. The agency launched a search after a relative reported that the three men failed to...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
in 1 Day
Aug 19, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Sharks Bite 2 Swimmers in 1 Day
Neither attack was fatal, but 1 wound required hundreds of stitches
- Sharks bit two swimmers in one day at a South Carolina tourist destination this week, about a half-mile and just more than an hour apart. One bite caused a serious injury but didn't threaten the swimmer's life; the other was minor, NBC News reports. "I just felt...
Pool Noodle Keeps Boy
Afloat After Shark Attack
Aug 16, 2022 2:04 PM CDT
Pool Noodle Keeps Boy Afloat After Shark Attack
Jameson Reeder Jr., 10, lost part of leg after attack in Florida Keys
- A 10-year-old who was snorkeling with his family in the Florida Keys on Saturday has lost the lower part of one of his legs after being attacked by a shark. Click Orlando reports Jameson Reeder Jr. was at Looe Key Reef around 4:30pm when what was suspected to be...
in Incredibly Rare
UK Shark Attack
Aug 2, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
Snorkeler Bitten in Incredibly Rare UK Shark Attack
She was on boat trip off Cornwall coast
- A snorkeler suffered a leg injury in an apparent shark attack that was incredibly rare for two reasons. It involved a blue shark, a species that almost never attacks humans, and it took place in British waters, where unprovoked shark attacks are almost unheard of. Britain's Maritime Coastguard Agency...
2 Shark Attacks
on Same Day
in Long Island
Jul 14, 2022 2:21 AM CDT
2 Shark Attacks on Same Day in Long Island
Both victims survived their ordeals
- Two people were attacked by sharks in separate Long Island incidents Wednesday. Both survived. Near Smith Point on Fire Island around 7:30am, a 41-year-old man variously reported as a surfer or paddleboarder was knocked off his board by a 4-foot-long tiger shark, which the man punched. He was then...
Teen Saved From Shark by
Brother Will Lose Her Leg
Jul 5, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Teen Saved From Shark by Brother Will Lose Her Leg
Florida's Addison Bethea was gathering scallops when she was attacked
The unfortunately expected outcome will come to pass. CBS News reports Addison Bethea, the 17-year-old Florida girl who was attacked by a shark Thursday near Tallahassee, will have her right leg amputated Tuesday. Mother Michele Murphy spoke about her daughter's miracle survival: "My daughter, by medical standards,...
Women Killed in Twin
Shark Attacks in Red Sea
Jul 4, 2022 9:17 AM CDT
Women Killed in Twin Shark Attacks in Red Sea
They were attacked 2K feet apart off the coast of Egypt
- Two women were killed in separate attacks within days in Egypt's Red Sea, off the coast of Sahl Hasheesh, authorities say. The first victim was a 68-year-old Austrian woman who had been living in Egypt. After the attack Friday near the resort town of Hurghada, she was taken to...
During Lifeguard Training
Exercise, Shark Attacked
Jul 4, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
During Lifeguard Training Exercise, Shark Attacked
Lifeguard had been playing the role of a victim on Long Island beach
- Suffolk County officials closed a Long Island beach to swimming Sunday after what they described as an unprecedented shark attack that injured a lifeguard. The lifeguard, identified by CBS New York as Zachari Gallo, had been playing the role of a victim during a training exercise when the shark bit...
Good Samaritans Save
California Shark Attack Victim
Jun 23, 2022 12:17 PM CDT
Good Samaritans Save California Shark Attack Victim
Nurse, police officer were paddleboarding when they heard cries for help
- A swimmer was seriously injured in a rare shark attack off California's central coast Wednesday—but he survived with the help of paddleboarders who rushed to the rescue. Officials say the man was attacked just after 10:30am at Lovers Point Beach in Pacific Grove, Monterey County, NBC News...
Shark Attack Was
So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Mar 30, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Shark Attack Was So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Great white carried out fatal Dec. 24 assault on Tomas Butterfield in Morro Bay, Calif.
- A California bodyboarder killed on Christmas Eve met a great white shark, who left huge bite marks and a tooth behind, according to an autopsy report. Tomas Abraham Butterfield, 42, of Sacramento left his mother's home in Morro Bay, which he was visiting for the holidays, to head to...
Shark Kills Tourist in Caribbean
Snorkeling Hot Spot
Mar 22, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
Shark Kills Tourist in Caribbean Snorkeling Hot Spot
Italy's Antonio Roseto Degli Abruzzi was swimming off the coast of Colombia's island of San Andres
- Colombia reported zero shark attacks off its coast in 2021, but that luck didn't extend very far into 2022. CBS News reports that an Italian tourist, identified by local media as 56-year-old Antonio Roseto Degli Abruzzi, was swimming Friday in the Caribbean, near a cliff off the island of...
Victim of Brutal
Feb 17, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Victim of Brutal Shark Attack Is Identified
It was the first fatal attack in Sydney, Australia, since 1963
The victim of Sydney's first fatal shark attack in nearly 60 years has been identified as 35-year-old diving instructor Simon Nellist. ABC notes Nellist's "social media is filled with underwater pictures, showing him as an avid ocean lover." It's thought Nellist, who the BBC...
The Decrease in
Shark Bites Is Over
Jan 25, 2022 4:50 PM CST
The Decrease in Shark Bites Is Over
Number of unprovoked shark attacks returned to normal levels in 2021
- Shark attacks increased around the world in 2021 following three consecutive years of decline, though beach closures in 2020 caused by the COVID-19 pandemic could be making the numbers seem more dramatic than they are, officials said Monday. Researchers with the International Shark Attack File recorded 73 unprovoked incidents last...
Nov 8, 2021 1:34 AM CST
Fatal Double Shark Attack Reported
Authorities have not yet confirmed 2 sharks were involved
- A father of two was killed while swimming in Australia on Saturday morning when he was attacked by at least one, but possibly two, sharks at Port Beach, North Fremantle, off the coast of Western Australia. Paul Millachip, 57, who lived in Perth after having moved from London, is believed...
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief
I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Oct 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Great white clamped down on Eric Steinley's left leg, damaging artery
Two surgeries later, Eric Steinley is "still in disbelief that I'm alive" after coming face to face with a great white shark. The surfer says he was dragged underwater Sunday at California's Salmon Creek Beach when a great white confirmed to be at least 10 feet...
Photographer Catches Moment
Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Sep 18, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Photographer Catches Moment Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Former surfer was shooting from the beach and caught whole incident on video
- Conditions were perfect for surfing at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, thanks to big waves from Hurricane Larry. Conditions were perfect for hungry sharks, too, however—thanks to mullet and other fish hanging out at the sandbars where waves were breaking, per CNN . Venturing into this perfect storm was 16-year-old...
Surfer Killed by 'Significant'
Injury in Shark Attack
Sep 6, 2021 7:37 AM CDT
Surfer Killed by 'Significant' Injury in Shark Attack
Australian man believed in his 20s was out on Father's Day weekend
- A surfer suffered a "significant" arm injury after being attacked by a shark over Australia's Father's Day weekend, reports CNN , in the country's only such attack since May. Four crews responded to help the man, believed to be in his 20s, at the scene at Emerald...
Was Ripped Apart by a Shark
Jun 24, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Prehistoric Hunter-Gatherer Was Ripped Apart by a Shark
Researchers: Earliest known evidence of shark attack on a person identified in Japan
- Three millennia ago, a hunter-gatherer ventured to Japan's inland sea in search of a meal. He then became one himself. Researchers believe this Neolithic man, found buried in the Tsukumo Shell-mound cemetery site near the Seto Inland Sea, is the earliest known victim of a shark attack on a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.