Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
As Meat Plants
Shut Down, an
Apr 27, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
As Meat Plants Shut Down, an Ominous Warning
Food supply chain is 'breaking' amid pandemic, says John Tyson, chair for Tyson Foods
- Smithfield Foods and JBS have closed meat-processing sites , while Tyson Foods shut down pork plants in Iowa and Indiana last week after they were found to be hot spots for coronavirus outbreaks. Now Tyson is issuing a dire warning on the state of the industry as a result of the...
Iowa Plant That Is Critical to
Our Pork Supply Is Closed
Apr 23, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Iowa Plant That Is Critical to Our Pork Supply Is Closed
Tyson Foods suspended operations there Wednesday
- Tyson Foods suspended operations Wednesday at an Iowa plant that is critical to the nation's pork supply but was blamed for fueling a massive coronavirus outbreak in the region. The Arkansas-based company said the closure of the plant in Waterloo would deny a vital market to hog farmers and...
Order. Now, a
Virus Hot Spot
Apr 16, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Governor Opposed Stay-at-Home Order. Now, a Virus Hot Spot
644 COVID-19 cases tied to Smithfield Foods meat plant in Sioux Falls, SD
- The shuttered Smithfield Foods pork plant in Sioux Falls, SD, is now the largest single source of coronavirus cases in the country. Eighty more employees were confirmed to have COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the employee total to 518. State health officials say another 126 people who had contact with an...
Bishops Just Gave Catholics
a Big Lenten Dispensation
Mar 27, 2020 2:24 PM CDT
Bishops Just Gave Catholics a Big Lenten Dispensation
Some dioceses are letting followers eat meat on Fridays (but not Good Friday) due to coronavirus
- Catholics who don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, as well as give up other things during the 40 or so days of the religious observance before Easter, probably didn't anticipate this year also sacrificing hanging out with friends, heading out to restaurants and bars, and attending most...
Eat Your Meat.
Now, With Veggies
Mar 16, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Eat Your Meat. Now, With Veggies
Meat companies are beginning to market burgers with the veggies already blended in
- Meat companies are making it easier for you to eat your vegetables by blending them into burgers, meatballs, and sausages, reports the AP . Applegate is introducing a line of meat-and-veggie burgers and meatballs at grocery stores next month. Tyson Foods is already selling a beef-and-pea protein patty, as well as...
World's Biggest Meat Company
Tied to 'Cattle Laundering'
Mar 4, 2020 9:07 AM CST
World's Biggest Meat Company Tied to 'Cattle Laundering'
JBS linked to farms owned by a possibly murderous fugitive
- An investigation has linked the world's largest meat processing company to a farm run by a man accused of ordering a brutal massacre in Brazil. Valdelir João de Souza has been on the run since the April 2017 Colniza massacre, in which nine men were shot and stabbed...
Reducing Red Meat
May Not Be Worth It
in case you missed it
Oct 5, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Reducing Red Meat May Not Be Worth It
Researchers say link to cancer, heart disease is weak
- Researchers taking a fresh look at the hazards of eating red meat believe they may have killed a sacred cow of nutritional advice. In a paper published in the Annals of Internal Medicine , an international group of experts says evidence that red meat causes heart disease and cancer is weak...
'Undeclared Allergens' Lead
to Frozen Meatball Recall
Jul 27, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
'Undeclared Allergens' Lead to Frozen Meatball Recall
Yanked off shelves: 53K pounds of Cooked Perfect brand meatballs by Home Market Foods
- If spaghetti night is coming up, you might want to check your meatballs first.
reports that a product recall has been issued for more than 53,000 pounds of frozen pork and beef meatballs made by the Massachusetts-based Home Market Foods. A release from the USDA's Food...
First, Impossible Burger.
Now, Impossible Pizza
May 20, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
First, Impossible Burger. Now, Impossible Pizza
Little Caesars is first national pizza chain to offer a faux-meat topping
- The meat-substitute movement has entered the world of pizza. Little Caesars is the first national chain to offer a faux-meat topping—Impossible Sausage, reports Business Insider . It will be available on the $12 Impossible Supreme Pizza in select locations for a trial run, per
. The plant-based "sausage" comes...
Missouri Farm Official: New
Whopper a 'Wake-Up Call'
Apr 9, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Missouri Farm Official: New Whopper a 'Wake-Up Call'
Meat lobbyist is impressed with taste of Burger King's meatless burger
- If Burger King wanted good advertising for its meatless Impossible Whopper , it has arrived via an unlikely source—a review by an official with the Missouri Farm Bureau. In other words, a meat lobbyist, per the
. Eric Bohl wrote that he tried the plant-based burger, available for now only...
Have a Lot More Meat
Oct 24, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
McDonald's New Breakfast Sandwiches Have a Lot More Meat
Introducing the Triple Breakfast Stack
- Because sometimes, a single layer of sausage, meat, and cheese is just not enough: McDonald's is adding a new breakfast item to its menu, the Triple Breakfast Stack . The sandwiches are basically oversize versions of the fast-food chain's pre-existing McMuffin, McGriddle, and biscuit products, except these have two...
of Eating on the
Her Own Lunch
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
She's Accused of Eating on the Job—but Not Her Own Lunch
Ohio deli worker accused of devouring $9.2K of ham and salami, a handful of slices at a time
- Vice's Munchies notes this case could be one of "thinly sliced larceny," but whether charges emerge remains to be seen. A loss-prevention manager at a Giant Eagle supermarket in Bolivar, Ohio, recently received an odd tip about a longtime employee at the deli counter: She was...
Law Would Force Tofurky
to Change Its Packaging
Aug 27, 2018 6:15 PM CDT
Law Would Force Tofurky to Change Its Packaging
Tofurky filed a suit to stop it
- Vegetarian food-maker Tofurky filed a lawsuit in Missouri on Monday seeking to defend its right to describe its products with meat terminology such as "sausage" and "hot dogs," as long as the packaging makes clear what the ingredients are, the AP reports. The Hood River, Oregon-based company...
At One Company,
Meat Is Off the Menu
Jul 16, 2018 10:18 AM CDT
At One Company, Meat Is Off the Menu
WeWork will no longer serve poultry, beef, pork in move meant to help environment, save animals
- Office space sharing company WeWork says it is no longer serving red or white meat at company events. In an email to employees, co-founder and Chief Creative Officer Miguel McKelvey said the company won't serve pork, poultry, or red meat, and it won't allow employees to expense meals...
French Butchers Have Beef
With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Jun 27, 2018 4:34 PM CDT
French Butchers Have Beef With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Meat sellers are now seeking police protection
- Graffiti, smashed windows, even shops splattered with blood. This is the "terror" being set upon meat purveyors in France, the head of the French Federation of Butchers tells the BBC , all part of a campaign by vegans to intimidate "in their aim of making a whole section of...
Way to Help Planet
Jun 1, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
Researchers See Controversial Way to Help Planet
It involves getting rid of meat and dairy agriculture, or at least reducing
- A comprehensive new study finds that more than 75% of the world's farmland—an area the size of the US, EU, China, and Australia combined—could be freed up for new uses and the world still wouldn't go hungry. The big catch: Humans would have to stop consuming...
They Protested His
Eatery's Meat. So
He Grabbed a Deer Leg
Mar 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
They Protested His Eatery's Meat. So He Grabbed a Deer Leg
'I just felt helpless' at being called 'murderer,' says Toronto restaurateur Michael Hunter
- What do you do if you're a restaurant that serves meat, yet protesters keep showing up to tell you you're a "murderer"? If you're Michael Hunter, you chop up a deer in the front window. That's what the Toronto restaurateur did Friday after animal-rights...
Cops Plead for Help in Tracking
Down $30K Worth of Veal
Dec 28, 2017 6:00 PM CST
Cops Plead for Help in Tracking Down $30K Worth of Veal
Meat was stolen in Toronto
- Cops in Toronto are pleading with the public to help them solve a hefty Christmas Day heist. The Daily Meal reports on the theft of an "extremely large quantity" of veal, as it's worded in a police release . The meat (and the 48-foot refrigerated trailer it was being...
Hungry WWII POW Had Ideas
Silicon Valley Now Wants
Sep 30, 2017 10:52 AM CDT
Hungry WWII POW Had Ideas Silicon Valley Now Wants
Inside the story of Willem van Eelen
- We've come a long way since a 5-ounce hamburger patty was grown in a lab in 2013 at upwards of $325,000. As Quartz reports, advancements in technology have dropped that cost tremendously, to about $6,000 a pound. And Hampton Creek—a darling of Silicon Valley, a food...
This Is When Vegetarians
Should Eat Meat
Aug 7, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
This Is When Vegetarians Should Eat Meat
In a crowd, to show others that flexibility is OK, suggests an op-ed
- If vegetarians want to persuade carnivores to eat less meat, they might consider eating a little meat themselves. The seeming contradiction is offered up by Alberto Giubilini in an essay at Aeon . He begins by offering up a relatively common scenario: A vegetarian is at a dinner party, and the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
SCOTUS Hears Case That Could Reshape Elections
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.