Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fruits, Veggies: Just
What the Doctor Is Ordering
Sep 4, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Fruits, Veggies: Just What the Doctor Is Ordering
Study finds that giving patients monthly vouchers for fresh food has an impact
- The old adage is "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." And some modern doctors would very much like to prescribe that apple a day to their patients. As NPR reports, a new study conducted an interesting experiment: giving "produce prescriptions" to patients who struggled with...
The 'Dirty Dozen:' Most
Contaminated Fruits, Veggies
Mar 25, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
The 'Dirty Dozen:' Most Contaminated Fruits, Veggies
But there's better news with the 'Clean 15'
- Mama (and the US government) always said to eat your fruits and veggies, but nowhere in that conventional wisdom was there anything about getting your daily allotment of pesticides. Yet, as CNN reports, that's exactly what some of us are inadvertently doing. The nonprofit Environmental Working Group rounds up...
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold
With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Aug 17, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Oz's attempt to appear relatable to voters may have backfired
- John Fetterman's Pennsylvania Senate campaign says it raised a half-million bucks on Tuesday thanks to a video produced months ago by Republican rival Dr. Mehmet Oz. Back in April, in an apparent attempt to relate to fellow Americans, Oz posted a video of himself grocery shopping and castigating Joe...
Potato Isn't a Potato After All
Mar 16, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Couple's Eye-Popping Potato Isn't a Potato After All
New Zealand couple's dreams 'turn to mash'
- When is a potato not a potato? When it's a tuber of a gourd, according to Guinness World Records. A New Zealand couple who believed they had dug up the world's largest potato in the garden of their small farm near Hamilton have had their dreams turned to...
Eat Your Meat.
Now, With Veggies
Mar 16, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Eat Your Meat. Now, With Veggies
Meat companies are beginning to market burgers with the veggies already blended in
- Meat companies are making it easier for you to eat your vegetables by blending them into burgers, meatballs, and sausages, reports the AP . Applegate is introducing a line of meat-and-veggie burgers and meatballs at grocery stores next month. Tyson Foods is already selling a beef-and-pea protein patty, as well as...
See Which Veggies
Are Most Dangerous
Mar 20, 2019 7:20 PM CDT
See Which Veggies Are Most Dangerous
Kale is right up there when it comes to pesticide residue
- Kale lovers, it's time to start washing. The Environmental Working Group has released its annual "Dirty Dozen List" of produce harboring the most pesticide residues, and lo and behold kale comes in third,
reports. According to testing by the USDA and the FDA—on which the EWG...
Turns Out 'Bomb' Wasn't
Actually Out of Place in Garden
Nov 3, 2017 2:34 PM CDT
Turns Out 'Bomb' Wasn't Actually Out of Place in Garden
German resident mistakes zucchini for WWII bomb
- A worried resident in Germany alerted police to what he thought was a World War II bomb in his garden. Officers rushed over—and found a particularly large zucchini. The AP reports police were summoned to the scene in Bretten, near the southwestern city of Karlsruhe, on Thursday morning by...
Nationwide Veggie Recall
Now Includes Target, Walmart
Oct 24, 2017 4:24 AM CDT
Nationwide Veggie Recall Now Includes Target, Walmart
Listeria was detected in sample from Calif. supplier
- Salad mixes and other "minimally processed" vegetable products from a California supplier have been recalled at outlets across the US out of what Mann Packing says is an "abundance of caution." The supplier voluntarily recalled the products, which have "best if used by" dates of Oct....
Women Prefer the Smell
of Men Who Eat Healthier
Aug 15, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Women Prefer the Smell of Men Who Eat Healthier
'Odor is an important component of attractiveness,' and carbs aren't helping
- Guys have sort of a weird new reason to opt for the salad over the nachos: In a new study in the journal
Evolution & Human Behavior
, researchers found that women prefer the smell of sweat given off by men who eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables to...
This Trick May Help
You Eat More Veggies
Jun 14, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
This Trick May Help You Eat More Veggies
Try a tasty-sounding label
- Getting yourself or your kids to eat more veggies could be as easy as coming up with a tempting name for your dish. According to psychology researchers at Stanford, people are more likely to chow down on vegetables if they have an "indulgent" name, like "sizzlin' beans" as...
Matt Damon Was Right:
Potatoes Can Grow on Mars
Mar 9, 2017 10:12 AM CST
Matt Damon Was Right: Potatoes Can Grow on Mars
Which could also have implications for our changing climate
- If you've seen
, you might think it's totally possible to grow potatoes on Mars. You just might be right. In the film, Matt Damon plays fictional NASA astronaut Mark Watney, a stranded botanist who survives on the Red Planet by growing the hardy tubers. Now, real-life...
There's a New Recommended
Daily Quota for Fruits, Veggies
Feb 23, 2017 9:44 AM CST
There's a New Recommended Daily Quota for Fruits, Veggies
Study says eating 10 servings could slash risk of premature death, disease
- If you've struggled to meet the World Health Organization's five-a-day fruits and veggies recommendation , you may want to reassess your consumption strategy. An Imperial College London study published in the
International Journal of Epidemiology
has found that doubling the current suggestion to 10 servings a day could stave...
Eye on Next Prez,
Replants Her Garden
Oct 6, 2016 7:57 AM CDT
Eye on Next Prez, Michelle Obama Replants Her Garden
President Trump/Clinton will now have trouble removing it
- The next president will need more than a shovel to remove Michelle Obama's White House vegetable garden. Planted on the South Lawn in 2009, the garden has become a symbol of Obama's efforts toward "growing a healthier nation for our children," according to a new paving...
Way to Get Kids
to Eat Veggies
Sep 29, 2015 7:51 PM CDT
Study Reveals Way to Get Kids to Eat Veggies
What they're paired with makes a big difference
- Researchers from Texas A&M may have found an easier way to get kids to eat their vegetables than trying to convince them Spider-Man actually got his powers from green beans: Just pair veggies with other foods they don't like that much. The
reports nine out of...
Don't Order That Salad
Aug 24, 2015 11:59 AM CDT
Don't Order That Salad
It's 'overrated,' Tamar Haspel writes
- Next time you think about ordering a salad at a restaurant, consider this: It's probably not the healthiest choice for either you or the planet, writes Tamar Haspel in the
. According to one nutritional value index, lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, and celery are some of the lowest-ranking foods...
on First Food
Grown in Space
Aug 10, 2015 11:00 AM CDT
Astronauts to Chow Down on First Food Grown in Space
Today's ISS salad comes with romaine lettuce and a citric-acid-sanitizer dressing
- In May, the first fresh cup of coffee was brewed on the International Space Station. Today, ISS astronauts will enjoy another fresh debut: a meal made with the first food grown in outer space. On the menu will be a salad made out of microgravity-grown romaine lettuce, washed with a...
Whole Foods Hawks
$6 'Asparagus Water,'
Quickly Backs Off
Aug 5, 2015 5:41 AM CDT
Whole Foods Hawks $6 'Asparagus Water,' Quickly Backs Off
'The nutrients from the asparagus do transfer,' an employee explained
- If you're wondering whether a $5.99 bottle of asparagus water has actually become a thing, it has—but neither Whole Foods nor consumers are letting it be more than a fleeting fad, reports Consumerist . It started Monday when a
magazine editor posted a photo of the...
No. 1 Source of
Mar 8, 2015 2:20 PM CDT
No. 1 Source of Salmonella Cases: Not Meat
In fact, seeded veggies are the worst culprit, feds find
- Salmonella might be an illness you think about when you're tempted to eat cookie dough ; it's probably not something that worries you when picking out zucchini. But in fact, seeded vegetables were the top source of salmonella illnesses in a federal food study that focused on the years...
How Recess Can
Make Kids Eat
Jan 18, 2015 9:07 AM CST
How Recess Can Make Kids Eat More Veggies
Just let them play before lunch
- Researchers have come up with a way to get kids to chow down on 54% more fruits and vegetables, and it's remarkably straightforward: Just have them go out for recess before lunch rather than afterward. Researchers studied 2,500 elementary-schoolers in Utah receiving fruits and veggies at lunch as...
Could Help Fight
Oct 14, 2014 7:03 AM CDT
Broccoli Chemical Could Help Fight Autism Symptoms
Study produces noticeable changes in subjects
- A chemical found in veggies like broccoli may help cut down on symptoms in people with autism, a study finds. With the help of parents and caregivers, researchers assigned autism "scores" to 44 males with the disorder, ages 13 to 27; higher numbers on two different scales were linked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.