Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Little Guy Is Big News
for Endangered Species
Nov 27, 2023 12:26 PM CST
This Little Guy Is Big News for Endangered Species
There's a new calf for the population of Sumatran rhinos, which number fewer than 50
- A critically endangered Sumatran rhino was born in Indonesia's western island of Sumatra over the weekend, reports the AP , the second Sumatran rhino born in the country this year and a welcome addition to a species that currently numbers fewer than 50 animals. A female named Delilah gave birth...
With This Birth,
'Hope for a Species'
Oct 4, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
With This Birth, 'Hope for a Species'
Endangered Sumatran rhino calf born in Indonesia through captive breeding program
- In a birth being celebrated around the world, a baby girl has been delivered healthy, weighing in at 60 pounds. Don't worry, it's not a human baby but a critically endangered Sumatran rhino, whose birth "represents hope for a species threatened with extinction," per CNN . The...
Zookeeper Killed While
Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
Sep 12, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Zookeeper Killed While Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
The 33-year-old woman's husband tried to save her
- A rhinoceros attacked a married couple working as zookeepers in Austria on Tuesday, killing the woman and seriously injuring the man as he attempted to save her, authorities said. The attack happened at the Hellbrunn Zoo in the western Austrian city of Salzburg. Zoo director Sabine Grebner told reporters that...
Is Freeing 2K Rhinos
Sep 5, 2023 7:59 PM CDT
Conservation Group Is Freeing 2K Rhinos
African Parks has acquired South African farm that housed private breeding operation
- When a South African farm home to a herd of around 2,000 white rhinos went up for auction earlier this year, there were fears the animals could end up with a buyer that didn't have their best interests at heart. Instead, there were no bids at all, but...
Farm With Huge Herd of Rhinos
Is Being Auctioned Off
Apr 27, 2023 11:36 AM CDT
Farm With Huge Herd of Rhinos Is Being Auctioned Off
South African breeding farm has more than 10% of the world's white rhino population
- If you've ever dreamed of owning your own herd of rhinos and you have a spare $10 million or so, you have until May 1 to place a bid for a farm in South Africa that's home to a large share of the world's surviving white rhinos....
a Change in Rhinos
Nov 1, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
Humans Triggered a Change in Rhinos
Horns have become smaller as a result of poaching, trophy hunting: study
- Rhinoceros horns have become smaller over the past 135 years, likely as a result of trophy hunting and poaching, according to researchers, who say the change might not be for the better. Rhinos continue to be targeted for their horns, used in traditional medicines and for trophies , resulting in strict...
'Momentous Occasion' for One
of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Mar 31, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'Momentous Occasion' for One of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Indonesia's captive breeding program spawns new Sumatran rhino
- Indonesia has just welcomed a bundle of joy in the form of one of the rarest mammals on Earth. A Sumatran rhino was born March 24 in a sanctuary to a mother that had suffered eight miscarriages since she was captured in the wild in 2005 as part of a...
Living Animals in
White Rhino Breeding
Oct 21, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Living Animals in White Rhino Breeding Program: One
Najin, one of 2 remaining northern white rhinos, has been retired
- Hopes of saving the northern white rhinoceros now rest on a sole female, some frozen sperm, and a dozen embryos. There are just two northern white rhinos alive—females Najin and Fatu of Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy—whose eggs were extracted, then inseminated with frozen sperm from dead males...
Apr 15, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Left Alone, Rhinos Increase in Number
Lack of tourists and more investment have aided habitat in Nepal
- Nepal has counted 752 one-horned rhinos in four national parks, the most in more than 20 years, and the pandemic could be one of the reasons for the increase. No survey has found more than 650 since 2000, CNN reports; the population was 645 in 2015. Listed as a vulnerable...
Even Endangered Rhinos Are
Affected by the Pandemic
May 25, 2020 9:26 AM CDT
Even Endangered Rhinos Are Affected by the Pandemic
Work to save northern white rhino has stalled
- It’s not quite a case of coitus interruptus, but efforts to create a very special baby are definitely on hold. Blame the pandemic. Groundbreaking work to keep alive the nearly extinct northern white rhino subspecies—population, two—by in-vitro fertilization has been stalled by travel restrictions. And time is...
Malaysia Says Goodbye
to Last Sumatran Rhino
Nov 24, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Malaysia Says Goodbye to Last Sumatran Rhino
Iman, 25, had actually died several times
- It's a sad day in Borneo, where Malaysia's last Sumatran rhino has died—meaning the species is gone in its native country, the
reports. The 25-year-old female, Iman, died of cancer in a sanctuary after dying multiple times from blood loss and being revived, per the...
'Almost Unachievable' Goal
Hit in Quest to Save Rhino
Sep 12, 2019 4:38 AM CDT
'Almost Unachievable' Goal Hit in Quest to Save Rhino
Scientists have created 2 northern white rhino embryos
- Scientists announced Wednesday they have succeeded in creating two embryos of the near-extinct northern white rhino as part of an international effort to save the species, which is down to just two animals worldwide, both of them female. The embryos, created in the lab with eggs taken from the females...
Trophy Hunter Gets US Permit
to Import Body of Rare Rhino
Sep 7, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Trophy Hunter Gets US Permit to Import Body of Rare Rhino
Michigan hunter gets dispensation in what Humane Society calls 'pay-to-slay scheme'
- The Trump administration says it will issue a permit to a Michigan trophy hunter to import the skin, skull, and horns from a rare black rhinoceros he shot in Africa. Documents show Chris D. Peyerk of Shelby Township, Mich., applied last year for the permit required by the Fish and...
Zoo Furious After Names
Scratched Into Rhino's Back
Aug 28, 2019 10:58 AM CDT
Zoo Furious After Names Scratched Into Rhino's Back
France's La Palmyre Zoo decries the 'stupidity'
- It's one thing to scrawl your name on a random wall. Staff at one of France's most-visited zoos say visitors instead chose to make their mark on a rhinoceros' back. La Palmyre Zoo says it was "outraged by the stupidity and disrespect" of the visitors who apparently...
Only 2 Northern White Rhinos
Are Left. Unless This Works
Aug 26, 2019 12:16 PM CDT
Only 2 Northern White Rhinos Are Left. Unless This Works
7 eggs were fertilized Sunday, taken from the last living females
- Silvia Colleoni's hand holding a syringe was trembling as she injected liquid into a micro pipette to facilitate the aspiration of sperm from one of the last then-living male northern white rhinos on Earth. Her nervousness in the Avantea laboratory in northern Italy on Sunday was understandable. Whether the...
'Loss of a Species'
May 28, 2019 2:06 AM CDT
Malaysia Mourns 'Loss of a Species'
Country's last male Sumatran rhino died
- The Sumatran rhino—the smallest and hairiest of all rhino species—once roamed all over Malaysia. Now, just one survives in the country. Tam, a male around 30 years old, has died at a wildlife reserve in Borneo, leaving Iman, a female, as the only member of the critically endangered...
Becomes the Prey
Apr 7, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Rhino Poacher Becomes the Prey
Hunter in South Africa is trampled by elephants, devoured by lions
- A poacher in South Africa in search of rhino horn instead brutally met his maker courtesy of a different beast altogether. As the
Atlanta Journal Constitution
reports, the unidentified man was hunting Tuesday with four other men when he was trampled by an elephant, then apparently eaten by a pride...
Girl, 2, Falls Into
at Florida Zoo
Jan 2, 2019 2:22 AM CST
Girl, 2, Falls Into Rhino Enclosure at Florida Zoo
She was injured by animal's snout
- A 2-year-old was injured at a Florida zoo Tuesday after its "Rhino Encounter" turned into a terrifying experience. The girl was hospitalized after slipping and falling into the rhino enclosure at the Brevard Zoo during the hands-on experience, NBC reports. Authorities say the girl was injured after coming into...
8 Endangered Rhinos Die
After Relocation 'Disaster'
Jul 13, 2018 2:08 PM CDT
8 Endangered Rhinos Die After Relocation 'Disaster'
Over half the black rhinos moved to a Kenyan park have died, possibly of salt poisoning
- Eight endangered rhinos have died after a move to a new park in Kenya. Per the
, the black rhinos died in what Kenyan conservationist Paula Kahumbu calls "a complete disaster" after they were relocated from two locations to Tsavo East National Park last month. Officials suspect salt poisoning...
World's Only 2 Northern White
Rhinos May Not Be the Last
Jul 5, 2018 3:13 AM CDT
World's Only 2 Northern White Rhinos May Not Be the Last
Scientists have created 'test tube rhino' embryos in hopes of saving the species
- There are only two female northern white rhinos left in the world (the lone male, Sudan, died in March ), and they're infertile, but researchers are hoping new efforts on the reproduction front will stave off the end of the species. The world's first "test tube" rhinos...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.