Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Holy Land Cans
Nov 16, 2023 8:39 AM CST
The Holy Land Cans Christmas Festivities
With a war raging, church leaders in Jerusalem, Bethlehem say it's no time to celebrate
- Each year around Christmas, a tree is set up, lights are strung, and a nativity scene is arranged in Bethlehem's Manger Square, home of the 6th-century Church of the Nativity, which is said to mark the spot where Jesus Christ was born. There will be none of that this...
Oct 9, 2023 4:21 PM CDT
Cory Booker Saw 'Frightened Faces' During Hamas Attack
Now back in US, senator was in Jerusalem when war began
- Sen. Cory Booker was jogging in Jerusalem on Saturday when he received a call from his staff saying that Israel was under attack. Get back to the hotel, he was told. When he got there, Booker hid with other "frightened faces" in a stairwell. "There were children, elderly,...
US Tourist Arrested for Hurling
Museum's Statues to Floor
Oct 6, 2023 8:07 AM CDT
US Tourist Arrested for Hurling Museum's Statues to Floor
Lawyer says man was suffering from so-called 'Jerusalem syndrome'
- Israeli police have arrested an American tourist at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem after he hurled works of art to the floor, defacing two second-century Roman statues. The vandalism late Thursday raised questions about the safety of Israel's priceless collections and stirred concern about a rise in attacks on...
Amid Rush Hour in
Jerusalem, 2 Giant Blasts
Nov 23, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Amid Rush Hour in Jerusalem, 2 Giant Blasts
Teen killed, 18 hurt after bomb attacks at 2 Israeli bus stations
- Two blasts went off near bus stops in Jerusalem at the height of morning rush hour on Wednesday, killing a Canadian-Israeli teenager and injuring at least 18, in what police said were suspected attacks by Palestinians. The first explosion occurred near a typically crowded bus stop on the edge of...
Nov 4, 2022 11:19 AM CDT
She Was Anne Frank's Best Friend
Hannah Pick-Goslar, who was cared for by Otto Frank after the Holocaust, dies at 93
- Hannah Pick-Goslar had a lot in common with her childhood best friend Anne Frank. Both were German-born Jewish children whose families fled to the Netherlands after Adolf Hitler came to power. "From the first day of kindergarten they were inseparable," the
reports, though of course they...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Palestinians, Police Clash
Again at Holy Site
Apr 17, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Palestinians, Police Clash Again at Holy Site
Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem's Old City has been the site of confrontations
- Israeli police on Sunday entered the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City to secure the way for Jewish visitors to the flashpoint holy site, fueling clashes that left 17 Palestinians wounded, said Palestinian medical workers. The unrest happened two days after clashes with Palestinians at the same site....
Artifact' Found at
Apr 14, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
'Really Amazing Artifact' Found at Jesus' Supposed Crucifixion Site
Medieval altar would've stood at apex of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- A medieval altar, apparently long forgotten, has been rediscovered at the supposed site of Jesus Christ's crucifixion. Recent excavations on Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the site where many Christians believe Jesus was crucified , buried, and resurrected, revealed a large stone slab, "pressed against a wall...
Blinken Says US Will
Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
May 26, 2021 12:44 AM CDT
Blinken Says US Will Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
Secretary of State makes first official visit to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday announced plans to reopen a key diplomatic outreach office to the Palestinians and pledged nearly $40 million in new aid—reversing key policies of the Trump administration as he moved to bolster the embattled Palestinian government in the West Bank. On his first...
Hamas Fires Rockets
After Mosque Clashes
May 10, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Hamas Fires Rockets After Mosque Clashes
'This is a message the enemy has to understand well,' spokesman says
- Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip fired rockets toward Jerusalem on Monday, setting off air raid sirens throughout the city, after hundreds of Palestinians were hurt in clashes with Israeli police at a flashpoint religious site in the contested holy city. The early-evening attack drastically escalated what already are heightened...
Jerusalem at 'Brink of
Eruption' After Latest
Clash Hurts Hundreds
May 10, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Jerusalem at 'Brink of Eruption' After Latest Clash Hurts Hundreds
Medics say at least 153 were hospitalized after Israeli police confronted Palestinian protesters
- Israeli police firing tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber-coated bullets clashed with Palestinian stone-throwers at a flashpoint Jerusalem holy site on Monday, the latest in a series of confrontations pushing the contested city to the brink of eruption. More than a dozen tear gas canisters and stun grenades landed in...
At Jerusalem Holy Site,
a Night of Violent Clashes
May 8, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
At Jerusalem Holy Site, a Night of Violent Clashes
Medics say 200-plus Palestinians were hurt during confrontation with Israeli cops at Al-Aqsa Mosque
- A night of heavy clashes between Palestinians and Israeli police at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and elsewhere in Jerusalem left more than 200 Palestinians wounded, medics said Saturday, as the city braced for even more violence after weeks of unrest. Nightly protests broke out at the start of the holy...
This Case Is
May 24, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
Netanyahu: This Case Is 'Fabricated'
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu goes on trial
- Israel's prime minister arrived in a Jerusalem court Sunday and denounced the corruption case against him—along with officials, journalists, and police he claims fabricated the evidence, the
Times of Israel
reports. "Elements in the police and State Attorney’s Office banded together with left-wing journalists ... to fabricate...
Notes Pulled From
With a Twist
Apr 1, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Notes Pulled From Western Wall, With a Twist
Hazmat suits were required this time around due to coronavirus
- He stood at one of the world’s holiest sites and prayed for those who've contracted COVID-19. Then Shmuel Rabinowitz, rabbi of Jerusalem's Western Wall, watched as thousands of written prayers crammed into the crevices of stone were removed. This happens twice a year before Passover and Rosh...
Mar 4, 2019 2:57 AM CST
US Closes Jerusalem Consulate, Angers Palestinians
It served as de facto embassy to Palestinians
- The United States has officially shuttered its consulate in Jerusalem, downgrading the status of its main diplomatic mission to the Palestinians by folding it into the US Embassy to Israel. For decades, the consulate functioned as a de facto embassy to the Palestinians. Now, that outreach will be handled by...
More Than 50 Dead
as US Opens Embassy
May 14, 2018 2:35 PM CDT
More Than 50 Dead as US Opens Embassy
Violence continues in Israel
- The US formally opened its embassy in Jerusalem on Monday, and the historic move triggered a new wave of violence. At least 52 Palestinians were killed by Israeli troops as they demonstrated near the border fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip, reports the AP . The
Romney: 'Bigot' Shouldn't Pray
at Jerusalem Embassy Opening
May 14, 2018 5:24 AM CDT
Romney: 'Bigot' Shouldn't Pray at Jerusalem Embassy Opening
City soccer team names itself after Trump
- One of Israel's biggest sports teams has given itself a new name in honor of the opening of the new US Embassy in Jerusalem —and the man who made it possible. Soccer club Beitar Jerusalem says it is now called Beitar Trump Jerusalem and the change will be...
Israel Preps Big
Festivity, But Many
Diplomats Won't Go
May 13, 2018 9:02 AM CDT
Israel Preps Big Festivity, But Many Diplomats Won't Go
Amid increasing Palestinian protests
- Israel is preparing festivities Sunday to celebrate Monday's opening of the new US Embassy in Jerusalem , a move that has ignited Palestinian protests and raised fears of further violence. As Israel marks Jerusalem Day, the 51st anniversary of what it refers to as the city's "unification" following...
Report: Surprise Date Set for
Embassy Move to Jerusalem
Feb 23, 2018 11:22 AM CST
Report: Surprise Date Set for Embassy Move to Jerusalem
Supposedly May 14, the 70th anniversary of Israel's independence
- May 14th is the 70
anniversary of Israel's independence, and it appears it will serve as another big day: the moving of the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Per the
, Minister of Transportation and Intelligence Israel Katz made the surprise announcement on Twitter Friday, tweeting...
This Could Prove Biblical
Prophet's Existence. Or Not
Feb 22, 2018 10:00 AM CST
This Could Prove Biblical Prophet's Existence. Or Not
Clay seal reading 'Isaiah' up for debate
- A clay seal found in an ancient garbage pit in Jerusalem might have belonged to the prophet Isaiah, who's described as predicting the virgin birth and Jesus' death in the Old Testament. Or, less exciting, it might have belonged to some random guy named Isaiah. At present, it's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.