Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Oil Started Spilling in 2004.
The Feds Finally Studied It
Dec 23, 2021 12:31 AM CST
The Oil Started Spilling in 2004. The Feds Finally Studied It
And now Taylor Energy is paying $43M
Taylor Energy will pay $43 million in civil penalties and damages over the longest-running oil spill in US history. The Department of Justice on Wednesday announced the settlement with the Louisiana-based company, which ceased production in 2008, the
New York Times
reports. Oil and gas has been seeping into...
Feds: Company Behind
California Oil Spill Was
Negligent in 6 Ways
Dec 16, 2021 4:27 AM CST
Feds: Company Behind California Oil Spill Was Negligent in 6 Ways
Amplify Energy failed to respond to leak alarms, prosecutors say
- A Houston-based oil company and two subsidiaries were indicted Wednesday for a crude spill that fouled southern California waters and beaches in October, an event prosecutors say was caused in part by failing to properly act when alarms repeatedly alerted workers to a pipeline rupture. Amplify Energy Corp. and its...
Surf's Up Again
After Oil Spill
Oct 11, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Surf's Up Again After Oil Spill
Hazmat crews work alongside California beachgoers after reopening
- Surfers and swimmers returned to the waves Monday at a popular Southern California beach that was shut for more than a week after an undersea pipeline leaked crude oil into the ocean. The reopening of Huntington Beach—dubbed "Surf City USA"—came far sooner than many expected after...
Possible Cause of
California Oil Spill:
Oct 5, 2021 12:48 AM CDT
Possible Cause of California Oil Spill: Ship's Anchor
Divers are investigating the 'distinct possibility'
Officials are investigating whether a ship's anchor might have struck an oil pipeline, causing 126,000 gallons of oil to spill into the ocean off the coast of Orange County, Calif., over the weekend, the AP reports. Divers were examining the pipeline to make a determination, and more...
Oil Spill Reaches
Oct 3, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Oil Spill Reaches California Beaches
Dead fish, birds already have washed up along shoreline
- A major oil spill has reached the sands of Southern California, killing birds and fish and forcing the closure of beaches. A cleanup operation of the slick that the Coast Guard said covers about 13 square miles. The spill was reported Saturday, and by Sunday, oil had washed ashore, bringing...
Divers ID Source
of 'Miles-Long' Oil
Slick in Gulf
Sep 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Divers ID Source of 'Miles-Long' Oil Slick in Gulf
No one knows yet, though, who the broken pipeline belongs to
- Divers at the site of an ongoing oil spill that appeared in the Gulf of Mexico after Hurricane Ida have identified the apparent source as a 1-foot-diameter pipeline displaced from a trench on the ocean floor and broken open. Talos Energy, the Houston-based company currently paying for the cleanup, said...
Massive Alaska Quake
May Have Caused
Sunken Ship's Leak
Aug 17, 2021 7:44 PM CDT
Massive Alaska Quake May Have Caused Sunken Ship's Leak
Fuel is spilling from 1989 shipwreck
- A ship that sank off Kodiak Island decades ago has started to leak diesel fuel, and a state official suspects ground shaking from last month’s massive magnitude 8.2 earthquake might be the reason. The vessel sank in 1989 in Womens Bay, "and it’s been resting there...
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles
Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
Feb 23, 2021 10:50 AM CST
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
It cleans their digestive tracts, say rescuers in Israel
- When it comes to saving sea turtles, Israeli rescuers have discovered that mayonnaise is a miracle, per the AP . Employees at Israel's National Sea Turtle Rescue Center are treating endangered green sea turtles affected by a devastating oil spill that has coated Israel's coast with thick black tar....
Leaking Oil Ship Splits Apart
Aug 16, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Leaking Oil Ship Splits Apart
And remaining fuel is spilling off the coast of Mauritius
- The grounded Japanese ship that leaked tons of oil near protected areas off the Indian Ocean island nation of Mauritius has split apart, officials said Saturday, with remaining fuel spreading into the turquoise waters, the AP reports. Photos posted on social media by the official cleanup effort with support of...
Nation Fights Oil Spill
With Human Hair
Aug 11, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Nation Fights Oil Spill With Human Hair
Emergency volunteers in Mauritius are using whatever works to contain the spill
- Facing a nightmare oil spill , people in Mauritius are cutting off their hair. Salons nationwide are offering free haircuts—and some abroad are sending in fresh locks—to help soak up roughly 2,500 tons of oil spilled by a Japanese tanker in late July, Gizmodo reports. Emergency volunteers are...
'The Ship Is Showing
Really Big, Big Cracks'
Aug 10, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
'The Ship Is Showing Really Big, Big Cracks'
Mauritius is scrambling to prevent environmental disaster
- A Japanese ship carrying thousands of tons of oil ran aground in one of the worst possible places: a coral reef in a formerly pristine sanctuary for rare wildlife in Mauritius. More than 1,000 tons of oil have already leaked from the MV Wakashio, soiling beaches and lagoons, and...
Barriers Aren't Stopping the Oil.
Now, Arctic Ocean Is in Peril
Jun 10, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Barriers Aren't Stopping the Oil. Now, Arctic Ocean Is in Peril
Booms put in place to contain spill in northern Siberia last month haven't been working well
- Fuel is flowing toward the Arctic Ocean in Russia's far north following a major diesel spill last month. Some 150,000 barrels of diesel—nearly half as much fuel as leaked in the Exxon Valdez tanker spill in Alaska in 1989—were released near the mining city of Norilsk...
State of Emergency
After Oil Spill
Jun 4, 2020 4:41 AM CDT
Russia Declares State of Emergency After Oil Spill
Massive spill turned Siberian river red
- A massive oil spill in Siberia is being called "Russia's Exxon Valdez"—and Vladimir Putin is furious with a company that allegedly failed to report it. The Russian leader declared a state of emergency in the region Wednesday and slammed executives at Norilsk Nickel, the BBC reports....
Gulf Oil Spill Was
Than We Thought
Feb 13, 2020 11:44 AM CST
Gulf Oil Spill Was Bigger, Badder Than We Thought
Satellite imagery couldn't detect toxic oil beneath ocean surface: researchers
- The Deepwater Horizon spill was worse than thought, thanks to "invisible and toxic oil," say researchers. Ahead of the 10th anniversary of the Gulf of Mexico disaster, a study out of the University of Miami suggests the spread of the spill was 30% larger than satellite data indicated,...
'Illegal and Dangerous':
Oil Spill in the Galapagos
Dec 23, 2019 10:25 AM CST
'Illegal and Dangerous': Oil Spill in the Galapagos
Crane falls on vessel, causing boat to tip, oil to seep into water off of San Cristobal Island
- CNN notes that environmentalists are likely to be fuming after an accident in the Galapagos Islands over the weekend that dumped 600 gallons of oil into the water. The spill happened early Sunday as a crane was lowering a container onto a cargo vessel on San Cristobal Island, lost...
Keystone's 2nd Big Spill in
2 Years: 'What's Going On?'
Nov 1, 2019 7:15 AM CDT
Keystone's 2nd Big Spill in 2 Years: 'What's Going On?'
Nearly 400K gallons of crude oil leaked onto half-acre in North Dakota on Tuesday
- "Two cracks on a fairly new pipeline—geez, what’s going on?" That's a legitimate question to ask about the Keystone XL pipeline, a safety expert tells the
, considering that an apparent rupture in the controversial pipeline Tuesday in North Dakota is the second...
Oil Spill in California
Jul 13, 2019 5:27 AM CDT
'Massive' Chevron Oil Spill in California
Cleanup of the newly revealed spill began Friday
- Officials began to clean up a massive oil spill Friday that dumped nearly 800,000 gallons of oil and water into a California canyon, making it larger—if less devastating—than the state's last two major oil spills. The newly revealed spill has been flowing off and on since...
Coast Guard Says No More to
14-Year-Old Oil Leak in Gulf
in case you missed it
Nov 25, 2018 11:40 AM CST
Coast Guard Says No More to 14-Year-Old Oil Leak in Gulf
Taylor Energy has to start cleaning up mess that started in 2004 or risk fine of up to $40K per day
- A massive cleanup effort has been ordered on a quietly devastating oil spill that's been contaminating the Gulf of Mexico for 14 years. The
reports the US Coast Guard has mandated Taylor Energy "institute a … system to capture, contain, or remove oil" from the affected...
This Quiet Oil Spill May
Become Biggest Ever in US
in case you missed it
Oct 27, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
This Quiet Oil Spill May Become Biggest Ever in US
A 14-year-old continuous leak in Gulf could overtake Deepwater Horizon
- You've heard of the Deepwater Horizon and the Exxon Valdez oil spills. But how about a 2004 spill involving Taylor Energy? As it turns out, the latter has been quietly leaking oil off the coast of Louisiana so steadily for 14 years—with no end in sight—that it...
Trump Upends Policy
on Protecting Lakes, Oceans
Jun 22, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Trump Upends Policy on Protecting Lakes, Oceans
The president rolls back approach that followed Deepwater Horizon spill
- President Trump has thrown out a policy devised by his predecessor to protect US oceans and the Great Lakes, replacing it with a new approach that emphasizes use of the waters to promote economic growth, the AP reports. Trump revoked an executive order issued by President Obama in 2010 following...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.