Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Wife of Zimbabwe
VP Tried to Kill Him
Dec 16, 2019 1:20 PM CST
Cops: Wife of Zimbabwe VP Tried to Kill Him
Marry Chiwenga also charged with money laundering and fraud
- The wife of Zimbabwe’s vice president has been charged with attempting to kill her husband, the AP reports. Marry Chiwenga, a former model and wife of Vice President Constantino Chiwenga, appeared at the Harare Magistrates Court Monday where she was also charged with money laundering and fraud. Wearing a...
Robert Mugabe Will Be
'Remembered as a Villain'
Sep 6, 2019 2:08 AM CDT
Robert Mugabe Will Be 'Remembered as a Villain'
Strongman ruled Zimbabwe for nearly 40 years
- Robert Mugabe has died thousands of miles away from the country he ruled for nearly 40 years. Emmerson Mnangagwa, Mugabe's successor as president of Zimbabwe, says the former leader has died at the age of 95. In a tweet , Mnangagwa described Mugabe as an "icon of liberation" and...
Cyclone Could Be Among
Mar 20, 2019 1:50 AM CDT
Cyclone Could Be Among Southern Hemisphere's 'Worst Disasters'
Idai created 'inland oceans' in southern Africa
- The cyclone that slammed into southern Africa last week has created a slowly unfolding disaster that could be among the worst in the Southern Hemisphere's history, aid workers say. The official death toll from Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe is below 400, but more than 2.6...
Dozens Dead, 100 Missing
as Cyclone Slams Zimbabwe
Mar 16, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Dozens Dead, 100 Missing as Cyclone Slams Zimbabwe
Idai earlier caused havoc in Malawi, Mozambique
- First it hit Malawi and Mozambique earlier this week. On Friday, Cyclone Idai slammed into Zimbabwe, killing at least two dozen and leaving at least 100 people missing, Reuters and AFP report. Particularly hard hit was the district of Chimanimani, which borders Mozambique, and where the death toll may be...
'Total Internet Shutdown'
Jan 18, 2019 4:02 AM CST
Zimbabwe Forces 'Total Internet Shutdown'
More than 600 arrested in fuel protests
- Zimbabwe's government has again forced a "total Internet shutdown," a media group says, after a days-long violent crackdown on people protesting dramatic fuel price increases. MISA-Zimbabwe shared a text message from the country's largest telecom company, Econet, calling the government order "beyond our reasonable control....
Issued for an
Dec 19, 2018 8:47 AM CST
Arrest Warrant Issued for an Ex-First Lady
Grace Mugabe allegedly used an extension cord in attack on South African model
- Zimbabwe's former first lady is facing an arrest warrant in South Africa, where she's accused of beating a model with an extension cord. Grace Mugabe—wife of Zimbabwe's deposed 37-year leader Robert Mugabe, whom she was expected to succeed as president before a coup last year —...
Dec 5, 2018 8:44 AM CST
US Tourist Attacked by Irate Hippo in Zimbabwe
Local media insinuate she was reckless; her husband, mother-in-law push back on that
- A tour company offering expeditions down Zimbabwe's Zambezi River is called Wild Horizons, but one Florida woman's canoe adventure turned a bit too wild. The
Tampa Bay Times
reports that Kristen Yaldor remains in intensive care in a South African hospital after she was attacked on the river...
She Tried to Get a Photo of
the Elephant. It Killed Her
Sep 28, 2018 7:18 AM CDT
She Tried to Get a Photo of the Elephant. It Killed Her
Tourist loses her life in Zimbabwe's Mana Pools National Park
- A female tourist in Zimbabwe lost her life while trying to get a photo of an elephant. The BBC reports the German woman was among a group of vacationers who spotted a herd of elephants entering Mana Pools National Park on Wednesday. The unnamed 49-year-old was trampled by one of...
A New President Is 'Humbled,'
Opponent Cries Fraud
Aug 3, 2018 12:54 AM CDT
A New President Is 'Humbled,' Opponent Cries Fraud
Emmerson Mnangagwa narrowly won the election in Zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe's President Emmerson Mnangagwa narrowly won the election there Friday as the ruling party maintained control of the government in the first vote since the fall of Robert Mugabe. Mnangagwa received 50.8% of the vote, while main opposition challenger Nelson Chamisa received 44.3%, but the opposition is...
Delayed Election Results
Spark Riots in Zimbabwe
Aug 1, 2018 1:25 PM CDT
Delayed Election Results Spark Riots in Zimbabwe
Irregularities have been alleged
- Rioting erupted Wednesday in Zimbabwe's capital as opposition supporters clashed with police and army troops over delays in announcing results from the presidential election, the country's first since the fall of longtime leader Robert Mugabe . The security forces opened fire with guns, water cannons, and tear gas, and...
On Eve of Big Election,
Mugabe Has a Surprise
Jul 30, 2018 6:27 AM CDT
On Eve of Big Election, Mugabe Has a Surprise
Ousted Zimbabwe leader won't back his own ruling party in tight race
- Zimbabweans are voting Monday for president, and the name Robert Mugabe is not on the ballot. But that doesn't mean the 94-year-old former ruler, who was ousted in a military coup last year, won't have a say in the outcome. At a surprise news conference Sunday, Mugabe announced...
On a New
of 'Fake News'
Jul 29, 2018 9:04 AM CDT
On a New Continent, Accusations of 'Fake News'
Challenger Nelson Chamisa has familiar words ahead of Zimbabwe election; Mugabe re-emerges
- "Fake news" is at it again, this time on a different continent, reports the AP . Zimbabwe's main opposition leader says the ruling party has conducted a "fake news" campaign against him with the help of foreign technicians ahead of Monday's elections. Nelson Chamisa, head of the...
Ex-First Lady Finds Hundreds
of Gold Diggers on Her Farm
Mar 30, 2018 5:05 PM CDT
Ex-First Lady Finds Hundreds of Gold Diggers on Her Farm
Grace Mugabe says the miners refused to leave
- Wow, rough few months for Grace Mugabe. One day she's first lady of Zimbabwe, the next she's trying and failing to kick 400 illegal gold miners off her farm. The BBC reports Mugabe—whose husband was ousted from power in November—was "shocked to find approximately 400...
Book: Cecil the Lion's Death
Marked by 'Incredible Cruelty'
Mar 7, 2018 8:33 AM CST
Book: Cecil the Lion's Death Marked by 'Incredible Cruelty'
Andrew Loveridge writes death was far from instantaneous
- When Cecil the lion was killed in July 2015, animal lovers around the world mourned . Andrew Loveridge had a heightened reason to be distraught: The Oxford University researcher had spent eight years studying the animal in northwestern Zimbabwe, and he's now sharing what the
calls the "...
Zimbabwe Gives Land
Back to White Farmer
Dec 22, 2017 12:21 AM CST
Zimbabwe Gives Land Back to White Farmer
He could be the first of many
- A white Zimbabwean farmer evicted by gun-wielding police and a mob associated with the ruling party has returned to a hero's welcome, in a sign that new President Emmerson Mnangagwa is charting a path away from predecessor Robert Mugabe on an issue that had hastened the country's international...
Robert Mugabe Knew
It Was Over: Mediator
Nov 26, 2017 8:51 AM CST
Robert Mugabe Knew It Was Over: Mediator
Longtime dictator appeared relieved when he signed resignation letter, says priest
- Zimbabwe's former President Robert Mugabe knew it was "the end of the road" days before he quit , and appeared relieved when he signed his resignation letter after 37 years in power, a Catholic priest who mediated his ouster said Sunday. Fidelis Mukonori, who has known Mugabe for decades,...
Stop Blaming Mugabe's
Wife for Mugabe's Actions
Nov 25, 2017 9:39 AM CST
Stop Blaming Mugabe's Wife for Mugabe's Actions
Writer argues it's a simplistic, misogynistic narrative
- A common narrative has emerged in the wake of Robert Mugabe's ouster in Zimbabwe: His undoing can be blamed on wife Grace's greedy grab for power. Actually, this narrative is being cast as a "tale of two wives," writes Zimbabwe-born novelist Panashe Chigumadzi in a
Robert Mugabe Gets
Immunity From Prosecution
Nov 23, 2017 11:00 AM CST
Robert Mugabe Gets Immunity From Prosecution
The former Zimbabwe despot will also get a healthy retirement package
- After ruling Zimbabwe with an iron fist for 37 years, Robert Mugabe will be able to live out the rest of his days free of the threat of prosecution. Military authorities, who put the former president under house arrest a little more than a week ago, have granted him immunity...
'The Crocodile' Will Replace
World's Oldest Head of State
Nov 21, 2017 12:37 PM CST
'The Crocodile' Will Replace World's Oldest Head of State
Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns, recently fired VP Emmerson Mnangagwa will take his place
- Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe says he is resigning immediately and voluntarily in order to have a "smooth transfer of power" after 37 years in charge. The news came via a letter that was read out to a cheering, dancing parliament, which had been pursuing impeachment of the 93-year-old...
He Was Set to Resign.
Then Plans Changed
Nov 20, 2017 4:37 AM CST
He Was Set to Resign. Then Plans Changed
Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe flipped the script; military appears to be leaning toward impeachment
- Robert Mugabe, already known as the Energizer Bunny of southern African strongman leaders, stunned Zimbabwe Sunday by failing to deliver a widely expected resignation . Instead, the 93-year-old, speaking after his own ZANU-PF party fired him as leader, promised to preside over a party congress set for next month, Reuters reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Sunny Balwani's Sentence Is Longer Than Elizabeth Holmes'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.