Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Leg at NCAA
Apr 10, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Senator Breaks Leg at NCAA Championship Victory Parade
Fellow paradegoer fell on Richard Blumenthal
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal was at the victory parade celebrating the University of Connecticut men's basketball team winning the NCAA championship when a fellow parade attendee tripped and fell on the Connecticut Democrat. Blumenthal broke his leg in the Saturday incident, tweeting, "What can I say, I love a...
'One of Most Impressive
March Madness Runs in
History' Is Complete
Apr 3, 2023 11:09 PM CDT
'One of Most Impressive March Madness Runs in History' Is Complete
UConn beats SDSU to win
- UConn topped off one of the most impressive March Madness runs in history Monday night, clamping down early and breaking it open late to bring home its fifth national title with a 76-59 victory over San Diego State, the AP reports. Adama Sanogo had 17 points and 10 rebounds and...
LSU's Reese Unapologetic
After Championship Trash Talk
Apr 3, 2023 6:09 AM CDT
LSU's Reese Unapologetic After Championship Trash Talk
'Twitter is going to go on a rage every time, and I'm happy,' says winning player
- LSU is the new champ of women's college basketball, and star Angel Reese is very much the unapologetic center of attention as a result. During Sunday's 102-85 win in the championship game over Iowa, Reese directed some trash talk toward Iowa phenom Caitlin Clark that has sports fans...
This Is the First Time
in 5 Decades This Has
Happened at Final Four
Mar 27, 2023 12:06 AM CDT
This Is the First Time in 5 Decades This Has Happened at Final Four
Three first-time teams show up in the same year
- Everyone's heard of UConn. All these other guys? They'll need name tags at the Final Four. When they travel to Houston next week to play for the national title, Florida Atlantic, San Diego State, and Miami will be making their first appearances at college basketball's grand finale,...
Basketball Tourney Goes From
'Madness' to 'Unprecedented'
Mar 25, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Basketball Tourney Goes From 'Madness' to 'Unprecedented'
After Alabama, Houston losses, no No. 1 seeds will advance to Elite 8 for first time ever
- March has gone from madness to unprecedented. With Miami's win over Houston and San Diego State's takedown of Alabama on Friday night, the men's NCAA Tournament won't have a No. 1 seed in the Elite Eight for the first time since seeding began in 1979. "...
'One of the Biggest Upsets' in
NCAA History Just Went Down
Mar 18, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
'One of the Biggest Upsets' in NCAA History Just Went Down
No. 16 Fairleigh Dickinson takes out No. 1 seed Purdue in March Madness tournament
- Fairleigh Dickinson brought down a giant. Pulling off one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history, the undersized underdog Knights stunned top-seeded Purdue 63-58 on Friday night, becoming the second No. 16 seed to win a game in March Madness, per the AP . The shortest of the 363 Division...
Only 787 Brackets Are Intact.
This Shot Is One Reason
Mar 17, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Only 787 Brackets Are Intact. This Shot Is One Reason
Furman's upset of Virginia and Princeton's upset of Arizona busted almost everyone's
- Millions of college basketball fans filled out brackets for this year's NCAA tournament. After two big upsets on day one, only 787 remain intact, says the league. The culprits, or heroes, on Thursday were Princeton and Furman, explains ESPN . No. 15 Princeton upset No. 2 Arizona, and No. 13...
This Year's Biggest
Snub in NCAA Bracket
Mar 13, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
This Year's Biggest Snub in NCAA Bracket
Rutgers men are out
- For college basketball fans, it's a great time of year. Unless, this year, those fans happen to root for Rutgers. The NCAA unveiled its 2023 bracket for March Madness over the weekend, and Rutgers didn't make the cut among the men's teams. In the eyes of the...
Kansas Pulls Off
Apr 5, 2022 12:14 AM CDT
Kansas Pulls Off Biggest-Ever NCAA Championship Comeback
Erases 16-point deficit to win the title
- What looked like a lost cause turned into one of the sweetest wins ever for Kansas. The Jayhawks brought their fourth NCAA title back to Allen Fieldhouse on Monday thanks to a second-half flurry that erased a 16-point deficit and eventually overcame North Carolina 72-69 in an epic battle of...
Run Is Over
Mar 27, 2022 9:39 PM CDT
Saint Peter's Incredible March Madness Run Is Over
New Jersey school loses to North Carolina
- Saint Peter's coach Shaheen Holloway pulled his starters off the court as the seconds ticked down and would not let them wallow in defeat. The Peacocks locked arms for one final team huddle—Doug Edert, KC Ndefo, Daryl Banks III and the rest of the bracket-busters who put the...
'The Greatest Cinderella
in NCAA Tournament History'
Mar 20, 2022 8:04 AM CDT
'The Greatest Cinderella in NCAA Tournament History'
The reference is to the Saint Peter's Peacocks; other moments from the first games
- For those focused purely on the brackets, the big news out of Saturday's games was that the first No. 1 seed has fallen. Baylor was upset by the University of North Carolina, 93-86. ESPN has all the details.
Those who like underdog tales will be happy to learn
Watch a Shot for the Ages
Apr 4, 2021 8:13 AM CDT
Watch a Shot for the Ages
Jalen Suggs' buzzer-beater puts Gonzaga in the national championship
- Even those who don't buy into March Madness can appreciate the moment. Gonzaga's Jalen Suggs entered college basketball lore Saturday night by sinking a buzzer-beating 55-footer against UCLA to put his team into the national championship. Watch it here . At ESPN , Jeff Borzello calls "it one of...
NCAA Wants to Put
Madness in Single Place
Nov 16, 2020 7:25 PM CST
NCAA Wants to Put Madness in Single Place
Environment would be less than a bubble, and the Final Four teams will spend a month in host city
- There will be no NCAA men's basketball tournament games played in Dayton, Raleigh, or any of the 11 other sites expecting to host teams in 2021—and collect the revenue that comes with them. But there will be a tournament, the NCAA said Monday. All 68 tournament games instead...
NCAA Has Big News
About March Madness
Mar 11, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
NCAA Has Big News About March Madness
NCAA President Mark Emmert closes tournament games due to the coronavirus
- NCAA President Mark Emmert says NCAA Division I basketball tournament games will not be open to the general public because of concerns about the spread of coronavirus, the AP reports. Emmert said in a statement Wednesday that he made the decision to conduct both the men's and women's...
UVA Is National
Apr 9, 2019 4:03 AM CDT
Historic Loss, Then Redemption: UVA Is National Champion
Cavaliers beat Texas Tech in overtime
- Last year, the University of Virginia became the only top seed to fall to a No. 16 in the history of the NCAA Tournament. This year, redemption. Virginia won the first men's basketball championship in school history Monday night, getting a career-high 27 points from De'Andre Hunter and...
Watch the Crazy Finish
That Decides Final Four Game
Apr 7, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Watch the Crazy Finish That Decides Final Four Game
Virginia beats Auburn with 3 free throws, will play Texas Tech for championship
- The University of Virginia will play Texas Tech in Monday's NCAA title game thanks to a crazy finish in Virginia's game against Auburn. (See the video .) With his team trailing 62-60, Virginia's Kyle Guy put up a last-second 3-point shot. He missed, but a foul...
Nobody Filling Out
an NCAA Bracket
Mar 26, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Nobody Filling Out an NCAA Bracket Has Ever Done This
Gregg Nigl of Ohio is perfect through 48 games. And he had no idea
- Of the millions of people who have filled out March Madness brackets in major contests across the US, only one fan has gotten all 48 games right so far. Pretty impressive. Even more impressive? Nobody has ever done that before in the history of bracket contests, according to NCAA.com...
Coach's Strategy to Bait Player:
Call Him 'Queen'
Mar 25, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Coach's Strategy to Bait Player: Call Him 'Queen'
But Oregon's Louis King has the last laugh with victory over UC Irvine
- The Sweet 16 is set, and one of those 16 is Oregon, which easily beat UC Irvine 73-54 despite the losing coach's name-calling strategy. As the
reports, Irvine coach Russell Turner kept referring to Oregon freshman Louis King as "queen" during the game. But, he swears it...
There's a Reason Urologists
Are Busy This Time of Year
Mar 22, 2019 11:01 AM CDT
There's a Reason Urologists Are Busy This Time of Year
More men get vasectomies during March Madness
- Pity the urologist who loves college basketball—he may not get much time to enjoy March Madness. Urologists around the country report an uptick in vasectomies this time of year—because men can recover by sitting on the couch and watching basketball. Stories in the
of Ohio, the...
After FSU Victory, a
Heartbreaking Phone Call
Mar 22, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
After FSU Victory, a Heartbreaking Phone Call
Forward Phil Cofer learned his father, a former NFL player, had died after long illness
- March Madness joy followed by heartbreak: Florida State senior forward Phil Cofer watched his team take victory over Vermont on Thursday only to learn immediately after the game that his father had died. Media were enjoying an open locker room period following the 76-69 win in the first round of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.