Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Senate Approves More Than
400 Military Promotions
Dec 5, 2023 6:04 PM CST
Senate Approves More Than 400 Military Promotions
Move swiftly followed end of Tuberville blockade
- The Senate in a single stroke Tuesday approved about 425 military promotions after Sen. Tommy Tuberville of Alabama ended a monthslong blockade of nominations over his opposition to a Pentagon abortion policy. Tuberville had been under pressure from members of both sides of the political aisle to end his holds...
Army Plant Sells AR-15 Ammo
to Civilians, Drawing Scrutiny
Nov 21, 2023 6:05 PM CST
Army Plant Sells AR-15 Ammo to Civilians, Drawing Scrutiny
Members of Congress sound alarm after 'NYT' reporting
- Members of Congress are calling for a detailed examination of a deal that allows a US Army plant to supply ammunition for AR-15-style weapons, including ammo used in numerous mass shootings, to the commercial market. A
New York Times
investigation published this month and based on more than 1 million...
Rules Committee Backs Move
to End Tuberville Blockade
Nov 14, 2023 4:19 PM CST
Rules Committee Backs Move to End Tuberville Blockade
GOP senator has been blocking military promotions for months
- Senate Democrats pushed ahead Tuesday with a resolution that would allow for the quick confirmation of hundreds of military nominees, an attempt to maneuver around a blockade from Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville over a Pentagon abortion policy. The Senate Rules Committee voted 9-7 to approve a resolution that would allow...
Military Aircraft Crash Kills
5 US Service Members
Nov 12, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Military Aircraft Crash Kills 5 US Service Members
Defense officials report no sign of hostile activity involved in training accident
- A military aircraft crashed into the eastern Mediterranean Sea, killing all five US service members aboard, the Pentagon announced Sunday. The accident took place Friday evening "during a routine air refueling mission as part of military training," according to a statement by US European Command, the Hill reports....
Temporary Rule Change Could
End Tuberville's Blockade
Nov 10, 2023 9:09 AM CST
Temporary Rule Change Could End Tuberville's Blockade
Senate could vote on resolution next week, allowing passage of military promotions
- Senators are trying to find a way around a one-man blockade that has thwarted more than 370 military promotions this year. Sen. Tommy Tuberville has been blocking promotions for nine months to protest the Pentagon's policy of paying for travel when a service member needs an out-of-state abortion. A...
Senate Confirms First Woman
for Joint Chiefs of Staff
Nov 2, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Senate Confirms First Woman for Joint Chiefs of Staff
Nominations of Adm. Lisa Franchetti, two others are approved despite Tuberville's hold
- The Senate easily confirmed three senior military officers for new jobs on Thursday, one of whom will become the first female member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Adm. Lisa Franchetti was approved to lead the Navy, the
reports. The Air Force also got a new boss: Gen....
on Tuberville Over
Nov 2, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Republicans Turn on Tuberville Over Risky Blockade
It's a 'national security suicide mission,' says Sen. Dan Sullivan of delayed vote on military nominees
- Numerous members of his own party confronted Sen. Tommy Tuberville on Wednesday, demanding the Alabama Republican lift his legislative blockade used to delay votes on 375 military nominees since February, which is increasingly seen as a national security issue. "Months of simmering Republican frustration" burst into the open during...
Pentagon Says Strikes Hit
Iran-Linked Targets in Syria
Oct 27, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
Pentagon Says Strikes Hit Iran-Linked Targets in Syria
Austin says 'narrowly tailored' airstrikes were response to attacks that injured US forces
- The Pentagon says it launched airstrikes early Friday against targets in eastern Syria linked to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and militias it supports. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the strikes were in response to drone and missile attacks on US bases in Iraq and Syria and the action...
As Other Branches Fall
Short, Marines Hit 100%
of Recruitment Target
Oct 19, 2023 11:26 AM CDT
As Other Branches Fall Short, Marines Hit 100% of Recruitment Target
Consistent message is paying off, experts say
- As other service branches fell short of their recruitment goals this year, the Marine Corps ended the recruitment year Sept. 30 having met 100% of its goal—with hundreds of contacts lined up for next year. The Army, Navy, and Air Force failed to attract enough recruits despite offering generous...
Group Warns of Military Obesity
Oct 14, 2023 2:25 PM CDT
Group Warns of Military Obesity
Nonprofit calls problem an issue of readiness and health
- The majority of US active duty service members register as overweight or obese, according to their body mass index, a nonprofit's report says. "At a time when we are struggling to recruit an adequate labor force for the military, the growing rates of obesity are especially alarming,"...
Anti-Affirmative Action Group
Is Suing Naval Academy
Oct 6, 2023 10:31 AM CDT
Anti-Affirmative Action Group Is Suing Naval Academy
Group is also seeking to block race-based admissions at West Point
- An anti-affirmative action group has followed up its federal lawsuit against West Point with one against the US Naval Academy, seeking to block it from considering race in the selection on the new class of cadets. Students for Fair Admissions, founded by 72-year-old conservative activist Edward Blum, won a huge...
John Kelly Confirms
Oct 4, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
John Kelly Confirms Trump Remarks on Veterans
Former WH chief of staff says ex-boss 'has no idea what America is all about'
- John Kelly, who served as chief of staff to former President Donald Trump, went on the record Monday to confirm "a number of damning stories" about Trump in a statement to CNN . And what a statement it is. Kelly described Trump as "a person who is not truthful...
Soldiers' Tricky Mission: Tend
Aging Nuclear Arsenal of US
Oct 1, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
Soldiers' Tricky Mission: Tend Aging Nuclear Arsenal of US
The AP is given a look at the delicate process
- In an ultra-sterile room at a secure factory in Kansas City, US government technicians refurbish the nation's nuclear warheads. The job is exacting: Each warhead has thousands of springs, gears, and copper contacts that must work in conjunction to set off a nuclear explosion. Eight hundred miles away in...
Senate Briefly Pierces
Sep 21, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Senate Briefly Pierces Tuberville's Blockade
Army chief of staff and Marine commandant are confirmed, but other nominees wait
- The Senate confirmed two new service chiefs on Thursday, despite the blockade put in place by Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville, but there were indications Democrats didn't feel good about it. Gen. Randy George can now take over as Army chief of staff, and Gen. Eric Smith can officially become...
That Went Down
in Australia Has
Aug 28, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Marines Aircraft That Went Down in Australia Has Crash History
8 US troops remain in Aussie hospital after weekend accident that killed 3 of their colleagues
- Eight US Marines remained in a hospital in the Australian north coast city of Darwin on Monday after they were injured in a fiery crash of a tilt-rotor aircraft that killed three of their colleagues on an island. All 20 survivors were flown from Melville Island, 50 miles south, to...
3 US Marines Dead
in Training Crash
Aug 27, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
3 US Marines Dead in Training Crash
Several others injured when Osprey aircraft goes down in Australia
- Tragedy for the US Marines Sunday in Australia: Three members of the service were killed and at least five more were in serious condition after an Osprey aircraft crashed during a training mission, reports CNN . A total of 23 people were aboard the MV-22B aircraft when it went down on...
Aug 15, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Senator's Stance Creates a Military First
Three military branches are now without leaders as Sen. Tommy Tuberville blocks nominations
- Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville now has notched an unprecedented political hat trick of sorts: Because of the Republican senator's hold on military nominations , the Navy, Army, and Marines are without official leaders for the first time, reports the
. The trifecta came into place Monday when Navy chief...
Woman Who Helped Hide
Soldier's Body Gets 30 Years
Aug 14, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Woman Who Helped Hide Soldier's Body Gets 30 Years
Cecily Aguilar was only person arrested in Vanessa Guillen case
- A Texas woman was sentenced Monday to 30 years in prison for helping dispose of the body of a US soldier, whose 2020 killing sparked a movement of women speaking out about sexual abuse in the military. Cecily Aguilar was the only suspect arrested in the death of Vanessa Guillen,...
'Typo Leak' Could Be
Big Problem for US Military
Jul 17, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
'Typo Leak' Could Be Big Problem for US Military
Messages supposed go to military email addresses are being sent to Mali
- A Dutch internet entrepreneur says he has repeatedly warned the US government over the last decade that emails intended for the American military are being sent to Mali because of a common typo. Johannes Zuurbier tells the
that instead of the suffix .mil used for American military email...
US Spy Flight
Jul 10, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
North Korea: Warplanes Turned Back US Spy Flight
Kim suggests incursions could meet with consequences
- North Korea said Monday that its warplanes turned back a US spy plane that was over its territorial waters earlier in the day. The statement was made by Kim Yo Jong, sister of the nation's ruler, Kim Jong Un, and one of the government's top foreign policy officials....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.