Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blockbuster Ignites Nostalgia
in Dig at Netflix's Crackdown
May 26, 2023 10:36 AM CDT
Blockbuster Ignites Nostalgia in Dig at Netflix's Crackdown
'We didn't care who you shared [our videos] with,' company tweets
- Netflix's crackdown on password sharing is underway, leaving some to wax poetic about yesteryear, when the company promoted the practice as "love." Speaking of nostalgia, here comes Blockbuster to remind us all of the simplicity of Friday night movie rentals shared with family and friends. "A...
Mean to Post About
Feb 2, 2023 5:20 PM CST
Netflix Didn't Mean to Post About Password Crackdown
Mistake gives customers a first look at what's under consideration
- Netflix has taken down guidelines on its password sharing crackdown posted prematurely Wednesday on its FAQ pages for US customers. The information applied to trials it's running in Chile, Peru, and Costa Rica, the
reports. The post was customers' first look at what the company is planning, per...
Password Manager Has News
Its Clients Won't Want to Hear
Dec 2, 2022 8:36 AM CST
Password Manager Has News Its Clients Won't Want to Hear
LastPass says it has suffered 2nd security breach since August
- There's no safer place to keep all of your passwords than with a password manager, right? "Maybe think again on that one" is Lucas Ropek's advice on Gizmodo , at least when it comes to using LastPass . That's because for the second time in three months or...
Oct 22, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Say Goodbye to Mooching Netflix Passwords
Starting in 2023, free added profiles will have to be paid for as a 'sub-account' or create own new account
- If you've been watching Netflix using a shared password, those free viewing days are about to come to an end. The streaming service announced this week that, starting in "early 2023," just one "home" will be allowed per account, while those extra profiles that many people...
Clash Over WiFi Password
Turns Deadly for Remote Tribe
in case you missed it
Apr 3, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Clash Over WiFi Password Turns Deadly for Remote Tribe
Venezuelan soldiers reportedly reneged on deal to share network with Yanomami
- A clash between Venezuelan soldiers and members of the Yanomami tribe in the Amazon turned deadly over the most unlikely of reasons: a WiFi password. The dispute left four members of the Indigenous tribe dead and three more injured, reports the
. Three soldiers also were reported injured. The...
Search,' a Reveal on
Colonial Pipeline Breach
Jun 5, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
After 'Exhaustive Search,' a Reveal on Colonial Pipeline Breach
Cybersecurity expert: Compromised password was plugged into dormant VPN account to gain access
- It all came down to one password. That's the finding of a cybersecurity expert commissioned by Colonial Pipeline to find out how hackers were able to shut down the nation's largest fuel pipeline, reports Bloomberg . According to Charles Carmakal of Mandiant, part of the FireEye cybersecurity firm, hackers...
First Prize Is a Partial Bitcoin.
Third Prize: a Burrito
Mar 30, 2021 1:08 PM CDT
First Prize Is a Partial Bitcoin. Third Prize: a Burrito
Chipotle online contest will dole out $100K worth of the cryptocurrency on Thursday
- The connection may not be apparent—its stores don't accept bitcoin payments—but Chipotle is marking National Burrito Day with a bitcoin giveaway. The Mexican food chain is putting up $100,000 in the cryptocurrency, as well as $100,000 in burritos, CNN reports. Contestants who go to BurritosOrBitcoin....
The Days of Netflix Ignoring
Password Sharing May Be Over
Mar 12, 2021 12:07 AM CST
The Days of Netflix Ignoring Password Sharing May Be Over
Streaming service is testing out a new procedure
- Sharing a Netflix password with your sibling, cousin, parent, or friend? Those days may soon be over, or at least made slightly more awkward. Netflix is testing out a new feature in which, according to the
, some viewers who log in using another user's account get a...
He's Down to Last 2 Guesses
to Access $240M in Bitcoin
in case you missed it
Jan 17, 2021 12:45 PM CST
He's Down to Last 2 Guesses to Access $240M in Bitcoin
'New York Times' looks at the problem of owners who have forgotten their passwords
- It sucks when you can't remember your password to, say, your Amazon.com or Venmo account. It
sucks when the code that's right on the tip of your brain is keeping you from accessing millions of dollars' worth of bitcoin—and if you guess wrong too many...
Want to Make
a Hacker's Day?
Use One of These
in case you missed it
Nov 22, 2020 6:43 AM CST
Want to Make a Hacker's Day? Use One of These Passwords
NordPass has released its worst candidates for 2020
- We get how brain-melting it can be to remember all of your various passwords—really, we honestly, truly get it. But you've got to try harder than the people whose passwords popped up on NordPass' 2020 ranking of the 200 most common passwords, which, as Suzanne Humphries succinctly puts...
These 10 Passwords Are
a Hacker's Dream
Apr 22, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
These 10 Passwords Are a Hacker's Dream
UK cybersecurity group says '123456,' others are easily breached
- Think you've got a password that no one would ever guess, or simply hoping no one would ever try to capitalize on your password laziness? Based on a new survey out of the UK, you may want to reexamine that assessment. Per CNN Business , the National Cyber Security Centre...
3-Year-Old Locks iPad,
Will Be 51 When It's Usable
Apr 9, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
3-Year-Old Locks iPad, Will Be 51 When It's Usable
Dad Evan Osnos hoping to find a fix within the next 48 years
- The kid
wanted to get into that iPad. Instead, the toddler managed to lock it for 25,536,442 minutes, or more than 48 years, reports the
. Parent Evan Osnos, a writer for the
, tweeted an image of his child's handiwork and the resulting...
Yep, It's Another
Mar 21, 2019 2:02 PM CDT
Yep, It's Another Privacy Problem for Facebook
Millions of passwords were stored in plain text, a big no-no
- Facebook left millions of user passwords readable by its employees for years, the company said Thursday, an acknowledgement it offered after a security researcher posted about the issue online. "Security rule 101 dictates that under no circumstances passwords should be stored in plain text, and at all times must...
Clients: 'All of Your
Money Is Gone'
Mar 6, 2019 6:41 AM CST
Shocker for Cryptocurrency Clients: 'All of Your Money Is Gone'
After Quadriga CEO reportedly died, the mystery deepens
- A CEO's untimely death, hard-to-crack passwords, and up to $190 million in missing cryptocurrency. These all underlie a mystery that
calls the "implosion of Quadriga" after the December death of the QuadrigaCX coin exchange's chief, Gerald Cotten, at the age of 30, and now the FBI...
Twitter Wants You to
Change Your Password
May 3, 2018 4:12 PM CDT
Twitter Wants You to Change Your Password
Company says it's precautionary
- Twitter is advising all users to change their passwords, the AP reports. The company said Thursday that it recently discovered a bug that stored passwords in an internal log in an unprotected form. Twitter says there's no indication that there was a breach or that any of the passwords...
Red Sox WiFi
Password Is Not Good
Apr 13, 2018 7:09 AM CDT
Red Sox WiFi Password Is Not Good
'Baseball' shows up inadvertently on bulletin board during post-game interview
- Anyone looking to hijack the Boston Red Sox team WiFi wouldn't have needed to strain too hard to guess the password. "Baseball." As the
explains, the not-so-strong password was inadvertently revealed during a post-game interview with Yankees manager Aaron Boone. You can see it here...
20 Passwords Other Than
'123456' You Should Avoid
Dec 19, 2017 11:50 AM CST
20 Passwords Other Than '123456' You Should Avoid
'Tigger' is not iron-clad
points out, it's been a banner year for hacks, from Equifax's totally avoidable breach to Yahoo's eventual admission that all 3 billion accounts were compromised. SplashData ran an analysis of some 5 million leaked passwords to come up with its list of the 100 most...
Guy Who Wrote the Book
on Passwords: I Was Wrong
in case you missed it
Aug 12, 2017 10:51 AM CDT
Guy Who Wrote the Book on Passwords: I Was Wrong
Bill Burr says using special characters, plus frequent changes, was off base
- The security expert who wrote widely accepted advice in 2003 about online passwords—use special characters and change the passwords regularly—now acknowledges that he misfired. "Much of what I did I now regret," Bill Burr, who is 72 and retired from the National Institute of Standards and...
Suspect Tells Judge He Forgot
His Phone Passcode; It Works
Jun 1, 2017 1:33 PM CDT
Suspect Tells Judge He Forgot His Phone Passcode; It Works
Meanwhile, another man got 180 days in jail for giving cops incorrect passcode
- If authorities in Florida demand the passcode for your iPhone, giving them the incorrect one will net you 180 days in jail. But claiming you forgot? That's apparently a get-out-of-jail-free card. Christopher Wheeler is suspected of abusing his daughter, and detectives believe his phone contains images of her injuries,...
Tilt of Your Phone Could Spill
Your Data to Hackers
Apr 11, 2017 2:57 PM CDT
Tilt of Your Phone Could Spill Your Data to Hackers
They could get your PINs and passwords by exploiting device sensors: study
- Under the right conditions, hackers could theoretically exploit a built-in feature in smartphones to steal passwords and PINs, and it all comes down to the tilt users employ and the way they type, the
reports. In a study published in the
International Journal of Information Security
, Newcastle University researchers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.