Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 61 - 80 |
Giuliani Uses Extreme Example
to Illustrate Trump's Powers
Jun 4, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Giuliani Uses Extreme Example to Illustrate Trump's Powers
Suggests Trump couldn't be indicted even if he shot James Comey
- Rudy Giuliani appeared on the Sunday talk shows over the weekend to make the point that President Trump's constitutional powers are so sweeping that he could avoid legal trouble while in office. Giuliani said Trump could theoretically pardon himself in any situation, and he used an extreme hypothetical in...
Trump Flexes His
May 31, 2018 3:58 PM CDT
Trump Flexes His Pardoning Muscles
Dinesh D'Souza is a yes, Martha Stewart a maybe; may commute sentence of Blagojevich
- President Trump made big news Thursday through his power to issue pardons and commute sentences. First, he announced that he would issue a full pardon to conservative firebrand Dinesh D'Souza, who once pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations. Hours later came two higher-profile names: Trump told reporters on Air...
Trump Does What
Pardons Black Boxer
May 24, 2018 12:40 PM CDT
Trump Does What Obama Wouldn't, Pardons Black Boxer
Jack Johnson's is just the 3rd posthumous presidential pardon in history
- President Trump has granted a rare posthumous pardon to boxing's first black heavyweight champion more than 100 years after what Trump said many feel was a racially motivated injustice. Jack Johnson was convicted in 1913 by an all-white jury for violating the Mann Act, which made it illegal to...
Trump Weighing a
Pardon for This Man
Apr 22, 2018 8:34 AM CDT
Trump Weighing a Pardon for This Man
After call from Sly Stallone, boxer Jack Johnson could get a posthumous pardon
- A legendary boxer, an actor who played a legendary boxer, and the current president of the United States: It's an unlikely trio, but President Trump, at the urging of his chum Sylvester Stallone, says he's considering a pardon for the world's first black heavyweight champ, Jack Johnson,...
Trump Gives Full Pardon
to Cheney Aide Scooter Libby
Apr 13, 2018 1:06 PM CDT
Trump Gives Full Pardon to Cheney Aide Scooter Libby
President says Libby was 'treated unfairly' over Valerie Plame case
- President Trump issued a full pardon Friday to I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby , a former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney. Trump said he does not know Libby, but "for years I have heard that he has been treated unfairly. Hopefully, this full pardon will help rectify a...
Report: Trump to
Pardon Scooter Libby
Apr 13, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Report: Trump to Pardon Scooter Libby
Sources say full pardon to Dick Cheney's ex-chief of staff is imminent
- President Trump appears about to set a second potentially controversial pardon in motion, sources tell ABC News and the
New York Times .
Scooter Libby, former chief of staff to ex-VP Dick Cheney, will be the next to see a presidential reprieve, with a pardon greenlit by Trump after he mulled...
Fox News 'Absolutely' Key in
Getting Trump to Pardon Sailor
Mar 10, 2018 4:29 PM CST
Fox News 'Absolutely' Key in Getting Trump to Pardon Sailor
Kristian Saucier took pictures of classified area on nuclear submarine
- Despite it getting dragged by the Justice Department and dismissed by a judge, lawyers for Kristian Saucier have proven that a legal argument consisting of "Well, what about Hillary Clinton though?" is a great first step toward a presidential pardon. CBS News reports Saucier, a former Navy sailor, served...
Trump Pardons Turkeys,
Gets in Obama Dig
Nov 22, 2017 12:30 AM CST
Trump Pardons Turkeys, Gets in Obama Dig
President spared Wishbone, Drumstick, but not before poking fun at his predecessor
- President Trump wielded his pardon power Tuesday to spare a pair of turkeys from the Thanksgiving roaster, joking that he would also let last year's turkey pardons stand despite his penchant for overturning Obama-era orders. In a brief White House ceremony, Trump extended the annual presidential tradition of pardoning...
Arpaio to Plead
With Judge to
Aug 30, 2017 9:25 AM CDT
Arpaio to Plead With Judge to Toss Conviction
His lawyers will present oral arguments on Oct. 4
- Joe Arpaio has asked an Arizona judge to vacate his contempt of court conviction, arguing a presidential pardon "warrants an automatic vacatur of all opinions, judgments, and verdicts related to the criminal charge." But he'll have to come up with a bit more than that. On Tuesday,...
Could be Dropped
Aug 27, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
Trump Asked Sessions if Arpaio Case Could be Dropped
President told that would be 'inappropriate,' was long decided on issuing pardon
- President Trump's intervention in Joe Arpaio's fate dates back well before he announced the controversial pardon of the former Arizona sheriff on Friday, reports the
Washington Post .
Citing White House sources, the
reports that Trump reached out to AG Jeff Sessions this past spring to see if...
Man Locked Up
Aug 26, 2017 2:29 PM CDT
Man Locked Up Under Arpaio Calls Pardon 'a Nightmare'
'Disgusted, dispirited, and disappointed in the American political system'
- "There’s evil in the world that’s unrepentant, and I’ve experienced it firsthand," Francisco Chairez writes for the
. Chairez, a Mexican immigrant, spent time in one of Joe Arpaio's infamous "tent cities" following a 2015 conviction for drunk driving. His experience doing...
Power to Pardon'
Jul 22, 2017 10:13 AM CDT
Trump: 'President Has Complete Power to Pardon'
President unleashes early morning tweetstorm
- "The US President has the complete power to pardon," President Trump claimed early Saturday during what
characterizes as a "tweetstorm" and "tweet-o-rama." Trump sent 10 tweets in a span of two hours, starting at 6:30am. Out of those 10 tweets, perhaps none...
Report: Trump Is Asking
About the Pardons Process
Jul 21, 2017 6:47 AM CDT
Report: Trump Is Asking About the Pardons Process
But Trump attorney says 'pardons are not being discussed'
- As special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation continues to simmer, President Trump's legal team is allegedly brainstorming how to throw cold water on it, "people familiar with the effort" tell the
. Among the strategies reportedly on the table is an attempt to slow or stop...
Grant a Christmas
Wish for 200K
Dec 21, 2016 8:46 AM CST
Obama Could Grant a Christmas Wish for 200K
Fearing deportation under Trump, immigrants hope for his pardon
- As a teenager, 31-year-old Liz was convicted of fraud after attempting to return an item to a store for her uncle (she was unaware he hadn't bought it there). Years later, she was convicted again after agreeing to pick up a package for a friend, which she later learned...
Dec 19, 2016 2:38 PM CST
Obama Issues Record Wave of Clemencies
Pardons 78, shortens sentence of 153 others
- President Barack Obama has pardoned 78 people and shortened the sentence of 153 others convicted of federal crimes, the greatest number of individual clemencies in a single day by any president, the White House said Monday. Obama has been granting commutations at rapid-fire pace in his final months in office,...
Bergdahl Seeks Pardon
Before Trump Presidency
Dec 3, 2016 9:25 AM CST
Bergdahl Seeks Pardon Before Trump Presidency
He thanks Obama, asks for clemency
- Bowe Bergdahl doesn't want his case to go to trial under a president who has called him a "no-good traitor who should have been executed." After Donald Trump won the election, the Army sergeant's lawyers asked President Obama for a pre-emptive pardon before Bergdahl's trial...
Hope of Exonerating
Ethel Rosenberg May
End With Trump
Dec 1, 2016 9:59 AM CST
Hope of Exonerating Ethel Rosenberg May End With Trump
Sons are pressuring Obama to move now to clear mom executed in '50s spy case
- With President Obama's term coming to an end, the sons of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are again calling on the president to clear their mother of the espionage charge for which they believe she was wrongly executed in 1953 in an intense Cold War case. Michael and Robert Meeropol...
FBI Stuns Clinton Campaign
With New Document Release
Nov 2, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
FBI Stuns Clinton Campaign With New Document Release
Files relate to controversial 2001 pardon
- The FBI has followed up its October surprise for Hillary Clinton with another shocker: the release of 129 pages of internal documents related to Bill Clinton's highly controversial pardon of financier Marc Rich. The heavily redacted documents were released Monday and the agency drew attention to them with a...
Pardon Snowden So He
Can Work for US Public
Sep 15, 2016 12:46 PM CDT
Pardon Snowden So He Can Work for US Public
Human rights officials make the case in NYT
- Edward Snowden put out a public plea earlier this week for a pardon from President Obama—and two human rights activists agree with his call for clemency. Making their case for the ex-NSA contractor in the
New York Times
, Kenneth Roth (director of Human Rights Watch) and Salil Shetty (secretary...
Family Seeks Pardon
for 'Back to Africa' Founder
Aug 18, 2016 7:17 AM CDT
Family Seeks Pardon for 'Back to Africa' Founder
Marcus Garvey was convicted of mail fraud
- The family of Marcus Garvey is asking President Obama to pardon the black nationalist, founder of the early 20th century “Back to Africa” movement, NBC News reports. Dr. Julius Garvey, 82, used what would have been his father’s 129th birthday on Wednesday to launch a campaign to clear...
Stories 61 - 80 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.