Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Defeat, Macron
to Build a Bloc
Jun 20, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
After Defeat, Macron Faces Pressure to Build a Bloc
Parties at the extremes call for prime minister to resign
: France's opposition parties called on President Emmanuel Macron to assemble a coalition to fill the void after parliamentary elections left him without a majority on Sunday. Macron is unlikely to be able to pass his agenda, Reuters reports, unless he finds support elsewhere. The far right and far...
Macron Clashes With
Le Pen in Key Debate
Apr 21, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Macron Clashes With Le Pen in Key Debate
Polls show Macron came out on top, though many voters consider him 'arrogant'
- Watching presidential debates and getting rid of incumbents are both popular activities in France, so the stakes were very high for French President Emmanuel Macron in his televised debate against far-right challenger Marine Le Pen on Wednesday night. The second-round face-off is "seen as the time when presidential destinies...
Challenger's Surge in France
Worries US, Probably Ukraine
Apr 8, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Challenger's Surge in France Worries US, Probably Ukraine
Marine Le Pen has closed in on Emmanuel Macron as she's toned down her rhetoric
- Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared "a huge victory" this week that will keep him in office as Hungary's prime minister. Now White House officials are beginning to worry that another friend of Putin's could take over a US ally. Polls show that French President Emmanuel Macron and...
Beaten at Far-Right Rally
Dec 5, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Anti-Racism Activists Beaten at Far-Right Rally
French candidate holds first campaign event, drawing demonstrators
- Anti-racism activists were beaten up Sunday as far-right former French TV pundit Eric Zemmour held his first presidential campaign rally near Paris, a few days after he formally declared his candidacy in a video highlighting his anti-migrant and anti-Islam views. Zemmour has drawn comparisons in France to Donald Trump because...
Macron's Victory Was a
'Political Earthquake' for France
May 8, 2017 6:30 AM CDT
Macron's Victory Was a 'Political Earthquake' for France
Macron has to govern a deeply divided nation
- The pollsters were wrong once again with France's presidential runoff election but there was no surprise result this time: Emmanuel Macron defeated far-right candidate Marine Le Pen 66% to 34%, a much bigger margin than the 20 points that had been predicted, Reuters reports. But 34% was still a...
France Just Elected Its
Youngest President Ever
May 7, 2017 1:18 PM CDT
France Just Elected Its Youngest President Ever
But headwinds face Emmanuel Macron
- Emmanuel Macron will be France's next president, putting a 39-year-old political novice at the helm of one of the world's biggest economies and slowing a global populist wave. Polling agencies projected that Macron defeated far-right leader Marine Le Pen 65% to 35% on Sunday. Macron will be the...
As France Votes,
Louvre Is Evacuated
May 7, 2017 7:39 AM CDT
As France Votes, Louvre Is Evacuated
Suspicious bag left outside courtyard where Macron planned to celebrate
- Emmanuel Macron's campaign press office says a suspicious bag that prompted the evacuation of the courtyard outside the Louvre museum where the centrist French presidential candidate has planned to celebrate election night. Macron's team said a press room had been set up at the downtown Paris location and...
11th-Hour Twist in
May 5, 2017 1:05 AM CDT
11th-Hour Twist in French Election: Faked Documents
Forgeries purportedly show Macron was involved with Caribbean bank
- Allegations of fake news and hacking attempts dominated France's tense presidential campaign Thursday, with just two days left for independent Emmanuel Macron and his far-right rival Marine Le Pen to win over voters before Sunday's high-stakes runoff. Macron's campaign filed suit against unknown source "X''...
Le Pen, Macron Clash
in Ill-Tempered Debate
May 4, 2017 12:47 AM CDT
Le Pen, Macron Clash in Ill-Tempered Debate
He called her the 'high priestess of fear'
- The only face-to-face televised debate between France's presidential candidates turned into an uncivil, no-holds-barred head-on clash of styles, politics, and personalities Wednesday. Emmanuel Macron called his far-right opponent Marine Le Pen a "parasite" who would lead the country into civil war. She painted the former banker as a...
Sunday's Vote 'Humiliated'
French Party Politics
Apr 24, 2017 6:34 AM CDT
Sunday's Vote 'Humiliated' French Party Politics
2 outsiders will compete in runoff vote
- The election results in France are now final, confirming the political earthquake that has just taken place: Centrist Emmanuel Macron took 23.8% of votes in the first round, with 21.5% for far-right candidate Marine Le Pen, the BBC reports. The two candidates will compete for the presidency in...
France Votes: 11 Candidates,
Evacuation, Topless Protesters
Apr 23, 2017 5:57 AM CDT
France Votes: 11 Candidates, Evacuation, Topless Protesters
It could be a wild day in Round 1 of election
- A voting station in eastern France has reopened after being evacuated because of a suspicious vehicle parked nearby. Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told the AP that the voting station in Besancon was evacuated while explosives experts examined the car, but they deemed there to be no risk. He said...
Leftist Who Uses Holograms
Rising Sharply in French Polls
Apr 17, 2017 10:51 AM CDT
Leftist Who Uses Holograms Rising Sharply in French Polls
Surprising ascent of Jean-Luc Melenchon in presidential race is rattling France
- Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen and independent Emmanuel Macron have been drawing the lion's share of attention as the French presidential election nears (the first round is April 23 ), but a leftist candidate who has used a hologram of himself to stump at campaign rallies is now gaining...
Majority in France
Jun 18, 2012 5:06 AM CDT
Socialists Secure Majority in France
Strong showing leaves Francois Hollande free to implement policy
- As predicted , the left coalition led by the Socialist Party has cruised to a majority win in the National Assembly's lower house, taking 314 of 577 seats, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The win gives the Socialists, who already control the upper-house Senate, total control of the National Assembly—...
As Sarkozy Exits,
US Loses a Friend
May 8, 2012 9:12 AM CDT
As Sarkozy Exits, US Loses a Friend
...But François Hollande might be even more simpatico with Obama administration
- France's election was something of a can't-lose proposition for the Obama administration. On the one hand, the US isn't pleased to see the backside of Nicolas Sarkozy, an ally so steadfast that in France he was sometimes called "Sarko the American." Sarkozy, after all, was...
Gets It: Austerity
Isn't the Answer
May 7, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
Europe Finally Gets It: Austerity Isn't the Answer
Paul Krugman: Voters clearly 'wiser' than their leaders
- Paul Krugman is applauding France and Greece for the results of their elections : "Time is clearly running out for the strategy of recovery through austerity—and that’s a good thing," writes the longtime critic of austerity measures in the
New York Times
. Austerity measures depend on a...
May 7, 2012 7:48 AM CDT
What Hollande's Victory Means for France
President-elect has a packed first 40 days
- Following last night’s victory over Nicolas Sarkozy , Francois Hollande will have to jump right in to his new role—he will be sworn in as France’s president next Tuesday, the BBC notes. What does his election mean?
Hollande has vowed to renegotiate the eurozone budget treaty Sarkozy championed
May 7, 2012 5:30 AM CDT
World Markets Tumble on French-Greek Elections
Investors fear fresh crisis in eurozone
- Markets worldwide have been seriously rattled by the rejection of pro-austerity governments by voters in France and Greece . Asian markets plunged, the euro dropped to a 3-month low against the dollar in early trading, and oil slipped to $97 a barrel. European shares also tumbled and yields rose on the...
EARLY EXIT POLLS
May 6, 2012 12:18 PM CDT
Hollande Wins French Runoff Vote, Ousts Sarkozy
Socialist looks to have won with 52%-53% of vote
- Socialist Francois Hollande looks like the likely winner of France's tightly-contested runoff election today, according to early exit polls, defeating conservative incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy. Hollande edged out Sarkozy in the first round of voting, and early returns show him up with between 52% and 53% of the vote. Sarkozy,...
Clash in Fiesty Debate
May 3, 2012 12:53 AM CDT
Sarkozy, Hollande Clash in Fiesty Debate
No clear winner emerges from bad-tempered debate
- Nicolas Sarkozy and challenger Francoise Hollande traded insults in a televised debate French media called the "Last Duel" and the "Final Confrontation." The event—the pair's only debate of the election season—ran to more than three hours long and while neither presidential candidate emerged as...
France's Le Pen
May 1, 2012 6:39 AM CDT
France's Le Pen Endorses ... Blank Ballot
Far-right leader doesn't get behind Francois Hollande or Nicolas Sarkozy
- Far-right leader Marine Le Pen is refusing to endorse either candidate in France's presidential runoff and says she will cast a blank protest ballot. Le Pen, who came in a strong third place in the first round of voting April 22, told her supporters at a big rally in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.