Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mississippi Man Charged With
Hate Crime in Cross Burning
Sep 24, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Mississippi Man Charged With Hate Crime in Cross Burning
Feds say Axel Cox was trying to intimidate his Black neighbors
- A Mississippi man has been charged with a federal hate crime for burning a cross in his front yard to threaten his Black neighbors, the US Justice Department announced Friday. Axel Cox, 23, has been charged with one count of criminal interference with the right to fair housing and one...
Man Who Attacked
in Sam's Club
Gets 25 Years
Aug 8, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
Man Who Attacked Asian Family in Sam's Club Gets 25 Years
Jose Gomez III said his victims were 'from the country who started spreading that disease around'
- A Texas man has been sentenced to 25 years behind bars on hate crime charges after attacking an Asian family in a Midland Sam's Club at the start of the pandemic. The
reports that 21-year-old Jose Gomez, who pleaded guilty in February to those charges, heard his...
Seattle Man Charged With
Jul 28, 2022 9:59 AM CDT
Seattle Man Charged With Stalking Congresswoman
Neighbors said he shouted threats outside home of Rep. Pramila Jayapal
: A Seattle man who was arrested, then released, after allegedly threatening to kill Democratic Rep. Pramila Jayapal earlier this month has been charged with felony stalking. Prosecutors said Brett Forsell, 49, was charged after new evidence emerged, Fox reports. After his July 9 arrest, authorities said there wasn't...
Victim: Family Attacked Me
Over Belief I Turned Son Gay
Apr 22, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Victim: Family Attacked Me Over Belief I Turned Son Gay
4 Makarenko family members now charged with hate crime in Florida
- A man permanently blinded and almost killed in an alleged hate crime in Florida says he was attacked by his boyfriend's family, who he says believed he had turned their son gay. The 31-year-old victim told Broward County Sheriff's deputies that his boyfriend of nine months, 21-year-old Oleh...
Parents, Son Charged in
Attack That Blinded Gay Man
Apr 13, 2022 3:14 PM CDT
Parents, Son Charged in Attack That Blinded Gay Man
All 3 are facing hate crime charges in Florida
- Three family members in Florida—and possibly a fourth—are facing potential life sentences over an attack that left a gay man permanently blind. Broward County prosecutors say parents Inna Makarenko, 44, and Yevhen Makarenko, 43, are facing hate crime charges over the Aug. 6, 2021, attack, as is son...
Woman Who Falsely Accused
Black Teen Reaches Plea Deal
Apr 11, 2022 6:11 PM CDT
Woman Who Falsely Accused Black Teen Reaches Plea Deal
Miya Ponsetto has pleaded guilty to NYC crime
- A woman who attacked a Black teenager in New York City after falsely accusing him of stealing her iPhone has reached a deal that will keep her out of prison—if she stays out of trouble. Under a plea deal announced Monday, Miya Ponsetto, who was seen on camera shouting...
Accused of Punching
Women, He Now
Apr 5, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Accused of Punching Women, He Now Faces Hate Crime Charges
Steven Zajonc, 28, was arrested last month in NYC for apparently unprovoked attacks
- A man is facing hate crime charges after allegedly attacking seven Asian women in New York City over three hours. Steven Zajonc, 28, who was arrested last month, is charged with six felony counts of third-degree assault as a hate crime and seven counts of second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor...
'One of the Most Appalling
Attacks I Have Ever Seen'
Mar 15, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
'One of the Most Appalling Attacks I Have Ever Seen'
Cops: 42-year-old man struck an Asian woman more than 100 times in Yonkers, NY
- An elderly Asian woman in Westchester County, NY, was brutally beaten in the vestibule of her building last week, and a fellow resident is now in custody. Police say that the 67-year-old victim passed by 42-year-old Tammel Esco as she was walking to her Yonkers home around 6pm on Friday...
FBI Says HBCU Threat
Investigation Is of the
Feb 2, 2022 5:45 PM CST
FBI Says HBCU Threat Investigation Is of the 'Highest Priority'
Source says agency has identified six 'tech savvy' juveniles as persons of interest
- The FBI says its Joint Terrorism Task Force is investigating bomb threats to historically Black colleges and universities as hate crimes—and the matter is of the highest priority. Almost 20 institutions across the country received threats Monday and Tuesday, causing some to lock down their campus. A law enforcement...
Man Fired, Charged After
Rant in Smoothie Store
Jan 25, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
Video shows James Iannazzo call one worker an 'immigrant loser'
- A Connecticut man who went into a smoothie store to complain went so far over the line that he lost his job and is facing criminal charges—including a felony. Police in Fairfield say James Iannazzo, 48, was arrested after workers at a Robeks said he was "throwing things,...
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988.
34 Years Later, an Admission
Jan 20, 2022 3:35 PM CST
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988. 34 Years Later, an Admission
Australia's Scott White confesses in court to killing American Scott Johnson
An Australian man has admitted to murdering an American mathematician who fell to his death from a cliff in Sydney in 1988, reports the AP . Scott White admitted in court that he killed Scott Johnson, whose death was initially ruled a suicide. The 27-year-old Johnson was gay, and prosecutors...
Student Sentenced for Ad
Offering Black Teen as 'Slave'
Oct 21, 2021 10:19 AM CDT
Student Sentenced for Ad Offering Black Teen as 'Slave'
Illinois teen ordered to serve 2 years of probation, 100 hours of community service
- An Illinois teenager who was charged with a hate crime two years ago over a Craiglist ad offering to sell a Black classmate as a slave has been sentenced to two years of probation, and authorities say they hope it will help him "mature into a productive member of...
Professor Allegedly Spat on
Black Woman, Yelled Slurs
Sep 21, 2021 8:10 PM CDT
Professor Allegedly Spat on Black Woman, Yelled Slurs
Alberto Friedmann faces hate crime charge
- A college professor in Illinois has been charged with a hate crime in connection with a confrontation outside a grocery store in a Chicago suburb earlier this month. Alberto Friedmann, 53, allegedly spat on a Black woman and yelled racial slurs at the woman and her 7-year-old daughter in a...
Bank Manager: Customer
'Ambushed' Me Over Mask
Sep 13, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Bank Manager: Customer 'Ambushed' Me Over Mask
Hispanic Army vet says customer at Wells Fargo hurled racial slur, beat him in parking lot
- The heated climate over mask mandates kicked up a notch at a Wells Fargo branch earlier this month, when a California bank manager says he was ambushed and beaten by a customer who didn't want to comply with the bank's mask rules. The bank manager, IDed only as...
Against 2 Kids
Aug 20, 2021 10:16 AM CDT
Woman Sentenced for 'Devastating' Hate Crimes Against 2 Kids
Nicole Poole Franklin gets another 25 years behind bars
- In May, a Des Moines woman received 25 years behind bars for state charges of attempted murder. She just got 25 more, this time thanks to a new sentencing on two federal hate crimes. Iowa's News Now reports that 43-year-old Nicole Poole Franklin, who admitted that in 2019 she...
New Charges in Case of Woman
Who Said Teen Stole Phone
Jul 2, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
New Charges in Case of Woman Who Said Teen Stole Phone
Miya Ponsetto allegedly tackled Black 14-year-old
- A woman seen on video tackling a Black teenager she had falsely accused of stealing her iPhone has now been charged with a felony hate crime in addition to other charges relating to the Dec. 26 confrontation at a New York City hotel. California resident Miya Ponsetto, 22, has been...
Mass. Shooting Suspect
Identified as White Supremacist
Jun 29, 2021 8:25 AM CDT
Mass. Shooting Suspect Identified as White Supremacist
Nathan Allen, 28, described white people as 'apex predators,' says DA
- "There was hate in this man's heart." That's what Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins said Monday of the man who shot and killed two Black people in Winthrop, Mass., on Saturday, identified as 28-year-old Nathan Allen. "Whether that was the only reason he did what...
He Crashed Into Home,
Started Shooting. Now,
a Hate Crime Probe
Jun 28, 2021 10:04 AM CDT
He Crashed Into Home, Started Shooting. Now, a Hate Crime Probe
Mass. authorities investigating incident that left 2 Black bystanders dead in Winthrop
- A shooting over the weekend near Boston that left a retired Massachusetts State Police officer and an Air Force veteran dead is now being investigated as a hate crime, as the two Black victims were gunned down while other bystanders escaped without being targeted. Authorities say 28-year-old Nathan Allen stole...
Cops: Pickup Driver Killed
4 Muslims in Targeted Attack
Jun 7, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Cops: Pickup Driver Killed 4 Muslims in Targeted Attack
London, Ontario, mayor says Sunday night attack was 'rooted in unspeakable hatred'
- The mayor of London, Ontario, says a vehicle attack Sunday night was "rooted in unspeakable hatred." Police in the Canadian city say a man deliberately drove his pickup truck into a Muslim family of five as they waited to cross a road, killing four of them and seriously...
Outrage After 8th Noose
Found at Amazon Site
May 27, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Outrage After 8th Noose Found at Amazon Site
'There's no way this should be happening in Connecticut in 2021'
- After a seventh noose was found at a warehouse construction site in Connecticut last week, Amazon closed the Windsor site for the weekend to install extra security measures as police and the FBI investigated the incident as a possible hate crime. Community leaders expressed outrage after an eighth noose was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Eliza Fletcher's Autopsy Results Are Released
Danish Queen Strips 4 Grandkids of Royal Titles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.