Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 21, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Beverly Hills Targets Young Vandals Prepping for Halloween
City bans those under 21 from possessing shaving cream, Silly String on Oct. 31
- Beverly Hills has placed a ban on young people possessing everyday products abused by vandals in an effort to create a "safe, family-friendly environment" on Halloween. The city council voted 5-0 Tuesday to ban people under the age of 21 from possessing Silly String, shaving cream or gel, and...
No, Screen Time
Is Not Good
for Your Toddler
Aug 22, 2023 9:31 AM CDT
No, Screen Time Is Not Good for Your Toddler
Researchers find delays in development of speech, social, fine motor skills
- A new study cautions parents against turning on a phone or tablet to entertain toddlers for extended periods, finding 1-year-olds exposed to above-average screen time go on to suffer developmental delays. Researchers in Japan found 1-year-olds exposed to more than four hours of screen time per day experienced developmental delays...
Madonna: When 'Chips Were
Down,' This Is Who Showed Up
Jul 31, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Madonna: When 'Chips Were Down,' This Is Who Showed Up
Singer, 64, thanks her kids for being there for her amid serious bacterial infection that upended tour
- If you want to know what's helped Madonna the most as she continues to recover from a serious bacterial infection, the superstar offered a clue over the weekend. "Love from family and friends is the best Medicine," she wrote Sunday on Instagram . "As a Mother you...
Supreme Court Hands Big Win
to Native American Tribes
Jun 15, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court Hands Big Win to Native American Tribes
Justices uphold law stipulating Native American kids up for adoption go to Native American families
- The Supreme Court delivered a big win to American Indians on Thursday, upholding a law that stipulates Native American children up for adoption should go to Native American families. NPR reports that the 7-2 ruling defied predictions, with Amy Coney Barrett writing the majority opinion and only Clarence Thomas and...
Youth Take On Montana:
You're Destroying Our Future
Jun 13, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Youth Take On Montana: You're Destroying Our Future
Environmentalists say state broke vow to provide a healthy environment through embrace of fossil fuels
- Sixteen young people say the state of Montana is destroying their future through its embrace of fossil fuels as part of a landmark climate trial now underway in Helena. The plaintiffs, ages 5 to 22, argue the state is violating its own constitution, which has declared since 1972 that "...
'Great Deal of Effort' Went
Into Plot to Burn Kids
Jun 13, 2023 9:34 AM CDT
'Great Deal of Effort' Went Into Plot to Burn Kids
Culprits used ventilation shaft to steal muriatic acid poured on Massachusetts playground
- Massachusetts police are searching for suspects who stole muriatic acid from a park building, then poured it on playground slides. Two children suffered "burnlike injuries" after using slides at Longmeadow's Bliss Park on Sunday morning. The Longmeadow Fire Department, which responded around 9:40am, said the acid is...
Suspect in Park
With Attempted Murder
Jun 10, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Suspect in Park Stabbings Charged With Attempted Murder
French officials say man, a Syrian refugee living in Sweden, had been rejected by France for asylum
- The case against a man accused of stabbing four children and two adults in a French park earlier this week has moved to the next phase. On Saturday, French judges hit the 31-year-old suspect, said to be a Syrian refugee with permanent Swedish residency, with preliminary charges of attempted murder...
40 Days After Crash, a Stunning
Find: 'The Jungle Saved Them'
Jun 10, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
40 Days After Crash, a Stunning Find: 'The Jungle Saved Them'
4 Indigenous children, one a baby, survived in the Amazon on their own after plane went down
- Four Indigenous children survived an Amazon plane crash that killed three adults and then wandered on their own in the jungle for 40 days before being found alive by Colombian soldiers. The announcement of their rescue on Friday brought a happy ending to a saga that had captivated many Colombians,...
Issue of Our
Time,' a Warning
May 23, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
On 'Defining Public Health Issue of Our Time,' a Warning
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy says social media is driving depression, anxiety in teens, kids
- Few parents love seeing their kids hunched over their phones, scrolling like zombies through TikTok videos or Instagram posts, and a new warning from the nation's top doctor isn't about to alleviate those feelings. Per NBC News , Surgeon General Vivek Murthy has issued a new report on youth...
I Told Off
May 12, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Pope Francis: I Told Off Woman With Dog
Pontiff warns against pets replacing kids amid Italy's demographic crisis
- In numerous countries in the EU, birth rates are declining, including in Italy, which could lose nearly 20% of its residents by 2050. Those stats are apparently putting Pope Francis on edge, enough to spur him to warn Italian citizens not to let their anxieties about the future keep them...
6 Girls Killed in
Tennessee Car Crash
Mar 27, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
6 Girls Killed in Tennessee Car Crash
Victims ranging in age from 1 to 18 were ejected from vehicle on Interstate 24
- A car crash killed six young girls, including a 1-year-old infant, after they were ejected from their vehicle early Sunday on a freeway in middle Tennessee, per the AP and NBC News . Two adults were injured, one of them critically. Emergency crews found a car upside down with extensive damage...
Driver in Horrific Crash
That Killed 5 Kids Was
16, Had No License
Mar 21, 2023 12:05 AM CDT
Driver in Horrific Crash That Killed 5 Kids Was 16, Had No License
Police say 16-year-old was behind wheel of Nissan Rogue that veered off New York highway, hit tree
- Police say the 16-year-old boy who was driving when an SUV crashed in New York Sunday, killing five of the six children aboard, did not have his license or a driving permit. The children were all related, and the group included two sets of siblings, the AP reports. They've...
South Korea Shares Intel
on Kim Jong Un's Kids
Mar 8, 2023 10:00 AM CST
South Korea Shares Intel on Kim Jong Un's Kids
National Intelligence Service still suspects the 39-year-old has 3
- South Korea's top intelligence agency on Tuesday dished on what it knows about Kim Jong Un's children—all three of them. Standout details, per Reuters and the AP :
Yes, the agency again confirmed Kim has three children, with the eldest being a boy. They were born in 2010,
Yale Honors Girl Scientist
Who Had Cops Called on Her
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 4, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Yale Honors Girl Scientist Who Had Cops Called on Her
Bobbi Wilson's lanternflies added to university's collection
- Yale University has honored the 9-year-old girl whose neighbor reported her to police for working on a science project. The October incident in Caldwell, New Jersey, "touched off a national discussion about racial profiling," per the
, which reports Bobbi Wilson was spraying an insecticide outside her home...
Hundreds of Child
Are Missing in UK
Jan 25, 2023 1:09 PM CST
Hundreds of Child Asylum-Seekers Are Missing in UK
Lawmakers fear they've been seized by traffickers, demand investigation
- Hundreds of child asylum-seekers have disappeared from government-approved accommodations in Britain within the last two years, Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick said Tuesday. The unaccompanied minors were housed in contracted hotels as the usual asylum accommodation system was overwhelmed . "Out of the 4,600 unaccompanied children that have been accommodated...
in This State
Now Have an
Jan 3, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Porn Perusers in This State Now Have an Extra Step
New law in Louisiana mandates commercial porn sites in that state ask for ID showing age verification
- A year ago, during an interview with radio host Howard Stern, singer Billie Eilish confessed to a pornography addiction that started at age 11, calling it a habit that "really destroyed my brain." Professional counselor and sex addiction therapist Laurie Schlegel, who also happens to be a Republican...
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots
of Edibles During Pandemic
Jan 3, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots of Edibles During Pandemic
Study finds 1,375% spike in reports to poison centers involving children under 6 from 2017 to '21
- More than 40% of human poison exposure calls to US poison centers in 2020 were about children who'd accidentally been exposed to cannabis, according to a new study, which shows an alarming rise in accidental ingestion of edibles in particular. The number of children under 6 who accidentally ate...
Kids Survive 2 Days in Outback
After Parents Killed in Crash
Dec 29, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Kids Survive 2 Days in Outback After Parents Killed in Crash
'Nobody knows what they went through,' relative says; 5-year-old credited with saving baby brother
- Three young children survived two days in the Australian Outback after a Christmas Day car crash that took the lives of their parents, and the eldest sibling deserves some thanks for that. Sky News reports that 25-year-old Cindy Braddock, 28-year-old Jake Day, and their three kids—a 5-year-old girl and...
Child Homicide Stats
Dec 20, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Child Homicide Stats Are Staggering
Child murder rate rose 28% in 2020, with Black children disproportionately affected
- Homicide is now "the leading cause of death among American children, making the United States an outlier among similarly developed nations," the
New York Times
reports. Homicides of children were up 28% in the first year of the pandemic as 2,058 children aged 17 and under were...
Catch, Kill 600 Rats
Nov 28, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Fearless Schoolkids Catch, Kill 600 Rats
They want to help rid their New Zealand island of the bird-killing predators
- A grinning girl holding the tail of a sizable dangling rat: It's photo evidence of an unusual competition at a New Zealand school, where students hunted down and took out rats in a 100-day effort to help safeguard the local bird population. The local Environment Trust gave traps made...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.