Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vegan Diets Seen as Way
Better for the Environment
Jul 27, 2023 9:22 AM CDT
Vegan Diets Seen as Way Better for the Environment
Getting meat-eaters to cut down is like taking millions of cars off the road, say Oxford researchers
- For anyone keeping score, this might be meat-eaters 0, vegans 1. A study spotlighted by the BBC found that following a vegan diet—eating only plant-based foods and excluding animal-derived products—can lead to considerable reduction in damage to the environment. In the UK anyway, getting carnivores to cut down...
Here's How 6 Diets Rate
With the Planet, Your Body
Mar 19, 2023 3:17 PM CDT
Here's How 6 Diets Rate With the Planet, Your Body
We have one very clear loser in both categories
- You are, allegedly, what you eat, and what you eat can have an impact on planet Earth.
predictably would like you to have less of a footprint and maybe guilt you a little bit, and takes the opportunity to look at six popular diets and their environmental impact vis...
I Tried the Diet
of a 45-Year-Old
Trying to Age
Feb 11, 2023 6:30 AM CST
I Tried the Diet of a 45-Year-Old Trying to Age in Reverse
A 'Vice' reporter consumed the food part of Bryan Johnson's 'Blueprint'
- We recently shared the story of Bryan Johnson, the 45-year-old millionaire who's spending, well, millions in his quest to have an 18-year-old's body . It's a process that includes a rigorous and specific regimen—which he has dubbed the "Blueprint"—involving everything from diet and exercise...
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
Vegan Mother Sentenced
to Life Over Toddler's Death
Aug 29, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
Vegan Mother Sentenced to Life Over Toddler's Death
Sheila O'Leary was convicted on charges including first-degree murder
- A vegan woman convicted of murder in the malnutrition death of her young son was sentenced Monday to life in prison. Sheila O'Leary, 38, whose family followed a strict vegan diet, was convicted in June on six charges—first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two...
Traveler Receives Interesting
'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Miriam Porter's TikTok on the water bottle, napkin she was served on Air Canada has gone viral
- Airline food isn't known for being particularly memorable, but Miriam Porter isn't likely to forget the one she was served on Air Canada anytime soon. Among the "special meals" the airline has listed on its website are vegetarian and vegan options, and Porter, a Canadian travel blogger...
'Plant-Based' Is All the Rage.
But It Isn't Exactly Health Food
Jan 18, 2022 3:31 PM CST
'Plant-Based' Is All the Rage. But It Isn't Exactly Health Food
Many of these products are ultra-processed, writes Xanthe Clay
- Xanthe Clay has no problem with the idea of people eating less meat and more vegetables. It would not only be healthier for humans but for the planet as well. But in an essay at the
, Clay has a warning for people chowing down on plant-based burgers, or chicken,...
Vegans May Be More
Likely to Break Bones
Nov 23, 2020 8:47 AM CST
Vegans May Be More Likely to Break Bones
Largest study of its kind sees increased risk for those who don't eat animal products
- The largest study of its kind suggests that those who don't eat meat are more likely to suffer bone fractures. Vegans, who shun both meat and dairy, appear to have the greatest risk relative to vegetarians and pescatarians, particularly when it comes to hip fractures, reports CNN . To keep...
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
Baby's Vegan Diet Has
Aug 22, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Baby's Vegan Diet Has Heartbreaking Results
An Australian couple gets 18 months but avoids prison time
- Two Australian parents are in hot water—but narrowly avoided prison time—after a judge chastised them for leaving their newborn gravely malnourished on a vegan diet, the BBC reports. Unnamed in media reports, the 30-something couple fed their 19-month-old rice, toast, potatoes, oats, and other vegan foods despite signs...
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt
Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
Jul 23, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
They have been convicted and fined over the London incident
- There were the vegans who "terrorized" the butchers . Now, the meat eaters who tried to terrorize the vegans. The BBC reports a macabre scene in London on March 30 earned two men disorderly conduct convictions and fines on Monday. Gatis Lagzdins, 29; and Deonisy Khlebnikov, 22, stationed themselves in...
Nation's Top Meat Company
Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Jun 13, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Nation's Top Meat Company Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Tyson Foods is coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken
- In a sign of just how fast the meat-substitute market is growing, Tyson Foods said Thursday it will be coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken. This is the same Tyson Foods that killed 2 billion chickens last year as the nation's biggest meat company,...
Way to Help Planet
Jun 1, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
Researchers See Controversial Way to Help Planet
It involves getting rid of meat and dairy agriculture, or at least reducing
- A comprehensive new study finds that more than 75% of the world's farmland—an area the size of the US, EU, China, and Australia combined—could be freed up for new uses and the world still wouldn't go hungry. The big catch: Humans would have to stop consuming...
Pam Anderson to Assange:
Here, Have a Nice Vegan Lunch
Oct 16, 2016 9:33 AM CDT
Pam Anderson to Assange: Here, Have a Nice Vegan Lunch
Animal activist drops by the Ecuadorian embassy in London
- Pamela Anderson is better known for PETA ads and sex tapes , but she's apparently branching out to delivering food to house-bound internationally wanted founders of WikiLeaks, reports the
. In London on Sunday, she tells the British Press Association that she dropped by the Ecuadorian embassy to visit its...
Key to Extinction
of Ancient Bear:
Aug 25, 2016 12:09 PM CDT
Key to Extinction of Ancient Bear: Vegan Diet
Inflexible diet appears to have led to cave bear's demise some 25K years ago
- Cave bears, the close cousin of the brown bear, roamed vast swaths of present-day Russia across to the United Kingdom and down to Spain for hundreds of thousands of years until they went extinct 25,000 years ago. A large beast at roughly 12 feet long and 5 feet tall...
of Vegan Kids
Aug 10, 2016 12:57 PM CDT
Italy Might Jail Parents of Vegan Kids
Diet is 'reckless and dangerous,' says lawmaker
- To make pasta, you need eggs, which are obviously not vegan. That might be enough to explain a proposed law in Italy that would jail parents for up to six years for imposing "reckless and dangerous eating behavior," including veganism, on kids under 17. Jokes aside, the woman...
Vegan Baby Hospitalized,
Taken From Parents
Jul 12, 2016 9:20 AM CDT
Vegan Baby Hospitalized, Taken From Parents
At 14 months, he weighed as much as a typical 3-month-old
- Veganism is on the rise in Italy, and while it's been shown to be the best diet for weight loss , a few babies who are also on a strict no-animal-products diet appear to be paying a price. A 14-month-old was rushed to a Milan hospital this month by his...
Eat Meat, Get Death Threats
May 5, 2016 1:33 AM CDT
Vegan Restaurateurs Eat Meat, Get Death Threats
'A lot of vegans have a right to feel betrayed by this'
- A couple whose string of trendy vegan restaurants in California is popular with the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, Beyoncé, Emma Stone, and Woody Harrelson are under attack after it was discovered they've been eating meat for months, the
reports. "This is a vegan restaurant company that's...
Best Diet for
Jul 1, 2015 8:08 AM CDT
Best Diet for Weight Loss: Veganism
A review of diets finds that those who go vegan lose the most weight fastest
- If you want to lose weight and you want to lose it fast, a review of 12 weight loss studies concludes that your road to success is a vegan one. Reporting in the
Journal of General Internal Medicine
, Ru-Yi Huang of E-Da Hospital in Taiwan finds in her review of...
When I Ate What
Jun 4, 2015 10:36 AM CDT
What Happened When I Ate What Beyonce Eats
Food writer goes vegan for 22 days, drops 16 pounds
- Not convinced Beyonce and Jay Z's vegan experiment is for you? Well, the
food writer tried the 22-day plan—as outlined in a book by the power couple's trainer—and says she lost 16 pounds doing so. Of course, during those 22 days, she not only...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.