Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Open Fire on Woman
at Paris Subway Station
Oct 31, 2023 3:36 PM CDT
Police Open Fire on Woman at Paris Subway Station
She allegedly threatened to blow herself up, 'made remarks of a rather Islamist nature'
- Paris police opened fire Tuesday on a woman who threatened to blow herself up after allegedly making death threats and speaking in support of terrorism on a train heading into the French capital. It was the latest security incident in France, which has been on heightened anti-terror alert since a...
It's an 'Unusual Resolution
for a Highly Unusual Case'
Oct 23, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
It's an 'Unusual Resolution for a Highly Unusual Case'
Man accused of plotting DC-area terror attacks sentenced to time served
- A federal judge on Monday ordered the release of a Maryland man who has been imprisoned for more than four years on charges that he plotted ISIS-inspired attacks at an airport and at a shopping and entertainment complex in the Washington, DC, area. Rondell Henry, 32, of Germantown, Maryland, pleaded...
In Modern Warfare,
the Rules Are Gone
Oct 10, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
In Modern Warfare, the Rules Are Gone
In the 'Atlantic,' Anne Applebaum warns that 'open brutality' is the new normal
- The Hamas fighters who kidnapped and murdered Israeli civilians did not attempt to hide their war crimes, writes Anne Applebaum in the
. In fact, they made a point to capture their atrocities on film and then circulate the videos, the better to create "misery and anger." These...
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker
Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
Aug 15, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
17-year-old nabbed in Philadelphia was allegedly testing devices, communicating with terrorists
- A 17-year-old "aspiring terrorist" is facing multiple state felony charges in Pennsylvania after he was found to be communicating with a foreign terrorist group while building a weapon of mass destruction, officials said Monday. At a press conference, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said the unnamed teen "was...
Gets More Grim
Apr 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Navalny's Situation Gets More Grim
Russian opposition leader facing decades more in prison on new charges
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny is facing up to 65 additional years in prison on new, unsubstantiated charges of extremism and orchestrating "terrorist attacks," according to his team. Navalny, one of Vladimir Putin's most outspoken critics, is currently serving a nine-year sentence following a 2022 conviction for...
Sexton Killed, Priest Injured
in Church Machete Attack
Jan 25, 2023 5:02 PM CST
Sexton Killed, Priest Injured in Church Machete Attack
Spanish authorities are investigating possible terror link
- A machete-wielding man killed a sexton and injured a priest in attacks at two churches in the city of Algeciras on Wednesday before being arrested, Spain’s interior ministry said, in what authorities are investigating as a possible act of terrorism. The suspect was arrested in the southern city and...
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
Iceland Cops Foil
'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Sep 23, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Iceland Cops Foil 'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Police seize firearms, ammo apparently meant to be used in terror attacks, a rare phenomenon in that nation
- A raid Wednesday in and near Reykjavik turned up not only a mess of firearms and ammunition, but also the discovery of an alleged terror plot that was apparently foiled. Gunnar Horour Garoarsson, a spokesman for Iceland's national police force, announced that four native men, all believed to be...
Twice a Survivor, 86-Year-Old
Takes Family to Germany
Sep 4, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Twice a Survivor, 86-Year-Old Takes Family to Germany
Shaul Ladany was held in Bergen-Belsen and on Israeli Olympic team attacked in 1972
- Shaul Ladany lived through a Nazi concentration camp and escaped the massacre of 11 fellow Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. Decades later, the 86-year-old is back in Germany to visit the two places where he narrowly avoided death. On Saturday, Ladany, who was born in 1936...
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves
2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Jun 25, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Police investigating mass shooting in Norwegian capital of Oslo as possible terror attack
- A gunman opened fire in Oslo's nightlife district early Saturday, killing two people and leaving 10 seriously wounded in what police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack during the Norwegian capital's annual Pride festival. Investigators said the suspect, identified as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran,...
Paris Attack Defendant
Apologizes to Victims
Apr 15, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
Paris Attack Defendant Apologizes to Victims
Salah Abdeslam says he decided against suicide bombing; prosecutors say his device failed
- The victims of the 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris, in which 130 people were killed, have received an apology and a request for forgiveness. "I wish to express my condolences and offer an apology to all the victims," Salah Abdeslam said in court in Paris, the BBC reports....
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
Police: 'By the Grace of God,'
2 Students Thwarted Plan
Dec 10, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Police: 'By the Grace of God,' 2 Students Thwarted Plan
Police say John Hagins was talking about carrying out a mass shooting on Snapchat
- Two students at a private university in Florida may have thwarted a mass shooting Thursday by saying something. That's according to police, who responded to their alert and arrested a student carrying a collapsible semi-automatic rifle, six loaded magazines, and plenty more ammunition in his backpack. John Hagins, a...
Oct 28, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
They Cheered Against India, Now Face Sedition Charges
At least 7 arrested in India for cyberterrorism after celebrating Pakistan's cricket win
- If you're in India, you'd better cheer for India. That's the message from authorities in Uttar Pradesh, where police have arrested at least seven people for allegedly celebrating Pakistan's victory over India in Sunday's T20 World Cup cricket match in Dubai. All seven face charges...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
Admits He Made It All Up
Oct 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
'ISIS Executioner' Admits He Made It All Up
Shehroze Chaudhry featured in key episodes of the hit 'NYT ' podcast series 'Caliphate'
The Canadian man who pulled the wool over the eyes of the
New York Times
, among others, by weaving tales of time spent as an ISIS executioner, admitted to his lies in a Canadian court on Friday. In doing so, Shehroze Chaudhry, now 26, saw the charges against him—...
Just Got Convicted
Sep 20, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Hero Just Got Convicted
Paul Rusesabagina called terrorism trial a sham orchestrated by Rwandan President Paul Kagame
- The man whose actions were acclaimed in the movie
has been convicted of terrorism. But Paul Rusesabagina and outside observers call the trial a sham orchestrated by President Paul Kagame to silence dissent. More:
On Monday, a court in Rwanda convicted Rusesabagina and fellow defendants of forming
Judge Sentences Extremist
to Read Better Literature
Sep 1, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Judge Sentences Extremist to Read Better Literature
A 21-year-old in England was sentenced to start with Pride and Prejudice
- It’s probably not the first time someone told Ben John to read a book already. John, 21, was recently sentenced to read something more enriching than white supremacist literature or a recipe for making a bomb, Vice reports. He was found guilty of possession of information useful for preparing...
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
Terrorism Alert Warns
About Eased Restrictions
May 14, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Terrorism Alert Warns About Eased Restrictions
Homeland Security says new conditions could provide opportunities
- A national terrorism alert issued Friday warns that violent extremists may take advantage of the easing of pandemic restrictions to attack. The alert does not cite any specific threats, the AP reports. But it warns of potential danger from an increasingly complex and volatile mix that includes domestic terrorists inspired...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.